Official JTR speaker thread - Page 961 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #28801 of 31063 Old 04-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Ace of Bass

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
Shouldn't be. As others have already said, these are just specifications, not what could "potentially" be mixed into the channels. It is why they are adding more processing power to the new units to allow for the additional channels, the better codecs, and still preserve their predecessors at the same time. It's about as important as "THX Spec" which we all know about already. There are already atmos mixed tracks that are well beyond the "Specs" laid out by Dolby. Plus, Dolby is getting into the speaker game. They don't want specs their pro speakers can't keep up with....do they?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28802 of 31063 Old 04-09-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I am thinking of installing 4 in ceiling speakers for Atmos, Auro & DTS X. Anybody have any suggestions? I have been looking at the klipsch CDT 5800 c ii or the jbl L228c or golden ear hrt 7000.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #28803 of 31063 Old 04-10-2015, 06:41 AM
Ace of Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
I am thinking of installing 4 in ceiling speakers for Atmos, Auro & DTS X. Anybody have any suggestions? I have been looking at the klipsch CDT 5800 c ii or the jbl L228c or golden ear hrt 7000.
ChopShop has been having a lot of fun listening to a pair of JBL SCS8's that he scooped about a week ago. He hasn't gotten them in ceiling or anything yet, but has just been running stereo and he is MAD impressed so far by them. He is sending me a set to check out against a few other designs I am working on, so I can comment more once I hear them in person, but the specs look pretty darn good.

post #28804 of 31063 Old 04-10-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
ChopShop has been having a lot of fun listening to a pair of JBL SCS8's that he scooped about a week ago. He hasn't gotten them in ceiling or anything yet, but has just been running stereo and he is MAD impressed so far by them. He is sending me a set to check out against a few other designs I am working on, so I can comment more once I hear them in person, but the specs look pretty darn good.
I would love to go with the SCS8's but they are really big for my dual purpose room and not sure my wife would approve. I could probably get her reluctant approval with a single pair which is probably all I need for my space. It is a family room that is 14' x 14' with no right side wall (just a open area to kitchen and dining room) with a plan to put in a 20" false wall in front reducing the length to 12' and the sofa is 2' from back wall.
RMK! likes this.

HTPCat

Last edited by HTPCat; 04-10-2015 at 09:55 AM.
post #28805 of 31063 Old 04-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Ace of Bass

Well there ya have it then!

post #28806 of 31063 Old 04-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 77
You could use the Volt 10lx. It is mentioned in this thread that they can be installed in ceiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
I would love to go with the SCS8's but they are really big for my dual purpose room and not sure my wife would approve. I could probably get her reluctant approval with a single pair which is probably all I need for my space. It is a family room that is 14' x 14' with no right side wall (just a open area to kitchen and dining room) with a plan to put in a 20" false wall in front reducing the length to 12' and the sofa is 2' from back wall.
post #28807 of 31063 Old 04-10-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post
You could use the Volt 10lx. It is mentioned in this thread that they can be installed in ceiling.
Building the rings for mounting in the ceiling would be difficult as I don't have much of the skills needed for this fine of detail work, nor the tools

HTPCat

post #28808 of 31063 Old 04-10-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 322
post #28809 of 31063 Old 04-10-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Very good recommendation by Jeff - this disc has some awesome demo material.
post #28810 of 31063 Old 04-10-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
I think I'm just going to follow dlbeck around to every thread, and every post and just laud his theater. His JTR system and theater experience is nothing short of incredible. I can't stop thinking about it since I visited for his crawl. We watched two action movies back to back at reference level. Maze Runner, and John Wick, and my ears weren't one bit sore the next day. I can't think of a single other theater I've visited that I could say that about.

FANTASTIC.

INCREDIBLE.

My hat is off...
RMK! and Hopinater like this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #28811 of 31063 Old 04-10-2015, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I think I'm just going to follow dlbeck around to every thread, and every post and just laud his theater. His JTR system and theater experience is nothing short of incredible. I can't stop thinking about it since I visited for his crawl. We watched two action movies back to back at reference level. Maze Runner, and John Wick, and my ears weren't one bit sore the next day. I can't think of a single other theater I've visited that I could say that about.

FANTASTIC.

INCREDIBLE.

My hat is off...
Thanks man. The KC crew is welcome anytime. See you in a few weeks
post #28812 of 31063 Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Watch "Whiplash"...you'll be at reference before you know it...the music and the drumming is great on the Jayterz....it will make you want to max out the volume and you'll find your feet tapping away. Very good movie for music lovers.
RMK! likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------
current gear: lcr JTR 212HT ~ quad JTR 8LP ~ dual JTR Orbit Shifters LFU ~ Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #28813 of 31063 Old 04-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 828
We had rhed and his family over for a visit yesterday afternoon so that he (Rod) could hear my Atmos setup. He is here in CA visiting family and since there are no Atmos Theaters in Hawaii, it was cool that this provided us the opportunity to meet and, allow Rod to hear an Atmos HT setup. First I'd like to say that it was a really fun time for my wife and I and Rod has a great family. It is so cool that this Forum provides an opportunity to meet people you would likely never meet were it not for this hobby of ours. Turns out our wives had a lot in common and they got on great. Rods kids and local based family were also very nice and fun to be around. All in all a very nice experience and we hope to see them all again.

Re my Atmos HT, just yesterday received a pair of new Slanted 8's that I installed as Surround Back speakers. I had bought a little Inuke 1000 to power them and re-ran the Audyssey setup in a Atmos 7.1.4 configuration on my Marantz AV7702 pre/pro. After the 8 position Audyssey setup, I listened to the Atmos demo disk specifically the Amaze Trailer and the Enrique Iglesias Music Video: Bailando. With Audyssey engaged, the powerful bass part of the Amaze trailer was effectively neutered even at ref level. The terrific Bailando music video was also sapped of it's sparkle and liveliness with Auydessy engaged. With Audyssey off, the bass was back and the music had it's vitality restored. I don't know why Audyssey is so inconsistent, but it must be due to variables like mic position and ambient noise. In any case, it is nice for the initial setup but what it does to the sound is far too dramatic and inconsistent for my taste.

The one feature that the Marantz has that my previous Integra or Denon units did not is to allow the copying of the Audyssey "Flat Response Curve" to the Marantz Manual EQ. At that point, you can tweak the individual channels, all of the channels together or just the L&R channels by using the 9 fixed point Manual EQ in the Marantz. Using the Audyssey flat curve as a starting point is a nice feature and allows for a degree of customization. It is what I am currently using to good effect.

Due to all of the treatments in my room and by sheer luck, I seem to have good sound without much if any EQ needed. So in my on again off again relationship with Audyssey it is now off and will probably stay that way for the foreseeable. The room measures well without Audyssey and even something like Dirac seems unnecessary. I like the "sound" of the Marantz and I'm staying the course (for a while ) and really enjoying my little HT version of 3D audio. The Atmos/Auro 3D audio formats are one of the cooler upgrades I have done and for me, there is no going back to one dimensional sound in the HT.
dgage, asoofi1, nash23 and 1 others like this.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; 04-11-2015 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Marantz-Audyssey EQ feature
post #28814 of 31063 Old 04-11-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

FANTASTIC.

INCREDIBLE.

My hat is off...
I hate myself that I missed it. The Iowa GTG looked great! So be it though. I really wanted to comment on Maze Runner. I really liked that flick and the bass was a big surprise. If anyone has not yet seen Maze Runner yet, be sure to get a copy and do it!
RMK! likes this.
post #28815 of 31063 Old 04-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Ace of Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Very good recommendation by Jeff - this disc has some awesome demo material.
What type of music is on the disc?

post #28816 of 31063 Old 04-11-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

After listening to it last night a couple times I would say it's not worth the $30-$40. It's got some cool tracks for you to assess detail, spaciousness, and dynamics. More than happy to let people borrow it....will bring it to KC.

Selections:
1. Intro & Left-Right Test
2. Pinknoise Level Test
3. Carl Cleves & Parissa Bouas “Sharpening A Knife” Tiefbass
4. Percussion-Ensemble (Improvisation) Tiefbass
5. David Munyon “A Hard Rain’s A-gonna Fall” Bass
6. The Bassface Swing Trio “Oh, Lady Be Good” Bass
7. Allan Taylor “Scotty” Grundton
8. McKinley Black “Hunger” Grundton
9. Anne-Marie Jean & Sebastian Sternal “Les mains d’Elsa” Mittelton
10. Dennis Kolen “For Cloud Dog And Jane” Mittelton
11. Percussion-Ensemble (Improvisation) Hochton
12. Allan Taylor “Firefly” Hochton
13. Barbara Burkle & The Bassface Swing Trio “Easy To Love” Balance
14. Sara K. “Sizzlin’ ” Balance
15. Djembe Walk Breite & Tiefe
16. The Tiptons (Saxophone Improvisation) Fokus
17. Johanna Single “Am Springbrunnen” Feindynamik
18. Percussion-Ensemble (Glockenspiel) Feindynamik
Bonus:
19. Drumset
20. Fireworks
post #28817 of 31063 Old 04-12-2015, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I was just at RMK's absolutely beautiful house auditioning his JTR Atmos system. Rob is just such a gracious host and a wonderful person to talk to. It is really refreshing to meet an audiophile who is enthusiastic about just great sound rather than absolute purity and accuracy. I had an absolute blast checking out his 215RT's and the Atmos system. I've never experienced bass like this, ever! This is far more visceral than the JL F113. This is making the rational decision of not buying the Captivator 1400 for fear of getting evicted much harder!

My experience with audio is mostly limited to "audiophile" speakers, and lately I've been a little bored by them, so I wanted to check out the JTRs and what all the buzz is about. The 215RT is by far and away the cleanest speaker I've ever heard. There are many times when I'm thinking "this isn't that loud", and I'd try to talk to Rob and realize I can't really hear myself. What also stunned me was what was probably the most natural and pure midrange I've ever heard. I did not expect that at all.

You guys might be surprised by this, but I wished we backed down on the volume on some of the music tracks to get an idea of how the 215 sounds at a normal volume. We were listening at close to reference level while my normal listening volume is -40dB! (I suspect that'll go way up if I get a pair of JTRs!) I think the high res tracks Rob was playing was just "quieter" as I didn't hear much of a volume difference with music and movies.

Thank you Rob for letting me listen to your amazing system! I wish I could do Dolby Atmos, but I think I might have to live with a 2.1 system with a phantom center for a while until I get my own place. Nevertheless, it gives me something to dream about and work towards to!
RMK! likes this.
post #28818 of 31063 Old 04-12-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
After listening to it last night a couple times I would say it's not worth the $30-$40. It's got some cool tracks for you to assess detail, spaciousness, and dynamics. More than happy to let people borrow it....will bring it to KC.

Selections:
1. Intro & Left-Right Test
2. Pinknoise Level Test
3. Carl Cleves & Parissa Bouas “Sharpening A Knife” Tiefbass
4. Percussion-Ensemble (Improvisation) Tiefbass
5. David Munyon “A Hard Rain’s A-gonna Fall” Bass
6. The Bassface Swing Trio “Oh, Lady Be Good” Bass
7. Allan Taylor “Scotty” Grundton
8. McKinley Black “Hunger” Grundton
9. Anne-Marie Jean & Sebastian Sternal “Les mains d’Elsa” Mittelton
10. Dennis Kolen “For Cloud Dog And Jane” Mittelton
11. Percussion-Ensemble (Improvisation) Hochton
12. Allan Taylor “Firefly” Hochton
13. Barbara Burkle & The Bassface Swing Trio “Easy To Love” Balance
14. Sara K. “Sizzlin’ ” Balance
15. Djembe Walk Breite & Tiefe
16. The Tiptons (Saxophone Improvisation) Fokus
17. Johanna Single “Am Springbrunnen” Feindynamik
18. Percussion-Ensemble (Glockenspiel) Feindynamik
Bonus:
19. Drumset
20. Fireworks
Shoot... I guess I should have held off but they had me at "Fireworks".
countryWV likes this.
post #28819 of 31063 Old 04-12-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcodemz View Post
I was just at RMK's absolutely beautiful house auditioning his JTR Atmos system. Rob is just such a gracious host and a wonderful person to talk to. It is really refreshing to meet an audiophile who is enthusiastic about just great sound rather than absolute purity and accuracy. I had an absolute blast checking out his 215RT's and the Atmos system. I've never experienced bass like this, ever! This is far more visceral than the JL F113. This is making the rational decision of not buying the Captivator 1400 for fear of getting evicted much harder!

My experience with audio is mostly limited to "audiophile" speakers, and lately I've been a little bored by them, so I wanted to check out the JTRs and what all the buzz is about. The 215RT is by far and away the cleanest speaker I've ever heard. There are many times when I'm thinking "this isn't that loud", and I'd try to talk to Rob and realize I can't really hear myself. What also stunned me was what was probably the most natural and pure midrange I've ever heard. I did not expect that at all.

You guys might be surprised by this, but I wished we backed down on the volume on some of the music tracks to get an idea of how the 215 sounds at a normal volume. We were listening at close to reference level while my normal listening volume is -40dB! (I suspect that'll go way up if I get a pair of JTRs!) I think the high res tracks Rob was playing was just "quieter" as I didn't hear much of a volume difference with music and movies.

Thank you Rob for letting me listen to your amazing system! I wish I could do Dolby Atmos, but I think I might have to live with a 2.1 system with a phantom center for a while until I get my own place. Nevertheless, it gives me something to dream about and work towards to!
I have not been using subs with my RT's since I installed them and I don't think I am missing anything. Considering how small my room is, the 2 RT's pressurize the room pretty well, not to mention when hit with ULF content, they just bring down the house. Not sure if my new 215RM CC will add much bass or not, I mean I really wanted another RT, but don't have the means for an AT screen to implement another RT. Someday!!

Plans are in the works now for renovating my theater. I have a contractor coming in to do a large renovation on our home and if there is any money left over I am going to see if I can "SoundProof" my theater so I can add a little more bass and use my theater to its potential. I have some ideas, but will take some work and money, so hopefully I can Git R Done! A neighbor across the way had some country music playing last weekend while he was outside working and It sounded pretty good, he had speakers in the garage and the door was open and he had it pretty loud and allot of bass. I could hear it inside my home and he is really not that close to me. I can understand now that people in my neighborhood can probably hear my system and I can agree it is a bit bothersome. Hopefully I can get it fixed enough to cut it down so people don't have to be disturbed by my madness.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 04-12-2015 at 08:12 AM.
post #28820 of 31063 Old 04-12-2015, 08:15 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcodemz View Post

Hi Brian,

It was my pleasure to have you over for the demo and I enjoyed meeting you too. It's always good to get someone's impressions but it is even more interesting for me when they have experienced lots of speakers and understand how loudspeakers work (the science). That certainly is true of you and it was also fun to hear your small active DSP speaker build. That is a very cool project and I will be interested in the seeing how that goes.

Sorry for the volume assault but that tends to be what most folks want to hear so I aims to please. It is what separates these pro audio, high efficiency designs from traditional audiophile speakers but really, if you are by choice or circumstance compelled to listen at well under reference levels then there are many other more aesthetically pleasing options. I have a tendency to let the system off the leash when demoing as that is what most impresses me about the JTR's. It is true that they are so clean that you don't realize how loud they are playing and when we take a run up to say +10db reference and then return to reference it seem like such a reasonable volume ... . It isn't just the clean volume level these speakers are capable of that I love but even more important to me is the amazing dynamics that can produce jump out of your seat moments even at lower overall listening levels.

Actually, I almost never listen at reference levels as I am determined to keep my hearing in tact for as long as possible. That begs the question then why JTR's as it seems counter intuitive. For me, it's like owning a fast car, motorcycle, boat or? You don't always use the power but it is exhilarating having that power at your disposal. As we discussed, there are times when watching a certain movie or listening to a concert video that I want as close to "realistic levels" as possible. For me, that makes the movie/concert experience more visceral and real. I wanted to give you a taste of that yesterday and based upon your comments I think the point was made.
bcodemz likes this.

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; 04-12-2015 at 08:55 AM.
post #28821 of 31063 Old 04-12-2015, 08:52 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I have not been using subs with my RT's since I installed them and I don't think I am missing anything. Considering how small my room is, the 2 RT's pressurize the room pretty well, not to mention when hit with ULF content, they just bring down the house. Not sure if my new 215RM CC will add much bass or not, I mean I really wanted another RT, but don't have the means for an AT screen to implement another RT. Someday!!

Plans are in the works now for renovating my theater. I have a contractor coming in to do a large renovation on our home and if there is any money left over I am going to see if I can "SoundProof" my theater so I can add a little more bass and use my theater to its potential. I have some ideas, but will take some work and money, so hopefully I can Git R Done! A neighbor across the way had some country music playing last weekend while he was outside working and It sounded pretty good, he had speakers in the garage and the door was open and he had it pretty loud and allot of bass. I could hear it inside my home and he is really not that close to me. I can understand now that people in my neighborhood can probably hear my system and I can agree it is a bit bothersome. Hopefully I can get it fixed enough to cut it down so people don't have to be disturbed by my madness.
That's funny as rhed made the same comment to me about his 215RT mains. He watched an entire movie and was totally impressed with the bass only to find the S2's weren't on. I know Carp and N8DOGG feel the need for more bass than the 215RT can produce for movies and some music and that's cool. In the end it is our subjective preferences balanced by our budget and other constraints that will make the final determination.

I feel for you on your Theater sound containment issue. I would hate it if I had to worry about how loud the system was or constantly wonder if am I disturbing someone when I play the system loud. I did little to ensure keeping the sound in as I was a bachelor and, I have neighbors that are either too far away or just don't care or complain. I hope you can get to a place where you don't have to worry as that would be a real boner kill for me.

Opinions are not facts.
post #28822 of 31063 Old 04-13-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh @asoofi1 I found our 2channel speakers! They appear to be paired with subs though. Can someone lend us lots of money

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 04-13-2015 at 05:41 PM.
post #28823 of 31063 Old 04-14-2015, 06:26 AM
Ace of Bass

Quote:
Oh @asoofi1 I found our 2channel speakers! They appear to be paired with subs though. Can someone lend us lots of money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZOfmA_c14w
I am sure those speakers are awesome, but that room sounds awful bright which lends itself to how well the vocals sound. You can find those tannoys sometimes for decent prices just the raw driver...

post #28824 of 31063 Old 04-14-2015, 08:09 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZOfmA_c14w
Really? I think this is "the grass is always greener" syndrome as I can't imagine a better 2 channel experience than with a full range speaker like the 215RT's.

I finally got JRiver running on my HTPC again yesterday and ended up spending 4 hours listening to hi-rez music. It was mostly stereo but I did some M/C as well to check out how the ceiling speakers would sound with music (jury's still out on that one). The EQ in JRiver allowed me to tweak the sound to my liking and save different profiles for different types of music. Tweaking real time is the best way to dial in your sound preferences. There really really wasn't much tweaking to do but I did apply some boost (2-3db) to the mid bass and used a slight roll-off (1-3db) on the high frequencies. In the end, everything from Dianna Krall to Metallica was sounding great. I wish the HTPC had been running for my demos this past weekend as it is would have been very cool to be able to demo music with the HTPC and Jriver.

I think you guys would be better off buying/building an HTPC and adding JRiver than setting up a separate system for 2 channel music. It makes that one space more valuable ... you know, two birds with one stone.
HTPCat likes this.

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; 04-14-2015 at 08:12 AM.
post #28825 of 31063 Old 04-14-2015, 10:18 AM
Ace of Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Really? I think this is "the grass is always greener" syndrome as I can't imagine a better 2 channel experience than with a full range speaker like the 215RT's.

I finally got JRiver running on my HTPC again yesterday and ended up spending 4 hours listening to hi-rez music. It was mostly stereo but I did some M/C as well to check out how the ceiling speakers would sound with music (jury's still out on that one). The EQ in JRiver allowed me to tweak the sound to my liking and save different profiles for different types of music. Tweaking real time is the best way to dial in your sound preferences. There really really wasn't much tweaking to do but I did apply some boost (2-3db) to the mid bass and used a slight roll-off (1-3db) on the high frequencies. In the end, everything from Dianna Krall to Metallica was sounding great. I wish the HTPC had been running for my demos this past weekend as it is would have been very cool to be able to demo music with the HTPC and Jriver.

I think you guys would be better off buying/building an HTPC and adding JRiver than setting up a separate system for 2 channel music. It makes that one space more valuable ... you know, two birds with one stone.
Then if you wanted to take it step further, you could get the PC version of dirac now and experiment with it using the free download for a little while. I have been wanting to do that for a while but I never have my PC down in the HT long enough to set all that up. Maybe I will eventually get a tablet and relegate the laptop to full-on HT duty or something, but streaming using the sonos is just way to easy, therefore never needing the PC so to speak.

As far as the ceiling speakers, I swear I got an email saying you replied to one of my posts asking how the atmos stuff was going, but I went back looking for the post and never found it. For music I am still on the same page, auro 2d is the best MC experience I have had to date in my theater. For movies, the sound in Atmos/Auro 3d is so immersive and realistic it is awesome. I am also rebuilding out ALL of my surrounds right now to be perfect matches which should take the experience to the next level from a cohesion standpoint. Right now it is just mangled mess of different coaxial designs I have worked with, and had the parts laying around to complete the atmos speakers. When all this is done, it should be another level of performance above what I have currently.

post #28826 of 31063 Old 04-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Then if you wanted to take it step further, you could get the PC version of dirac now and experiment with it using the free download for a little while. I have been wanting to do that for a while but I never have my PC down in the HT long enough to set all that up. Maybe I will eventually get a tablet and relegate the laptop to full-on HT duty or something, but streaming using the sonos is just way to easy, therefore never needing the PC so to speak.

As far as the ceiling speakers, I swear I got an email saying you replied to one of my posts asking how the atmos stuff was going, but I went back looking for the post and never found it. For music I am still on the same page, auro 2d is the best MC experience I have had to date in my theater. For movies, the sound in Atmos/Auro 3d is so immersive and realistic it is awesome. I am also rebuilding out ALL of my surrounds right now to be perfect matches which should take the experience to the next level from a cohesion standpoint. Right now it is just mangled mess of different coaxial designs I have worked with, and had the parts laying around to complete the atmos speakers. When all this is done, it should be another level of performance above what I have currently.
The problem is that the HTPC is for music only as I can't do Atmos content from the PC (yet). I really don't need Dirac and though it might be fun to play with, JRiver PEQ is easy to use and lets me do what I need to do in real time. I agree about Atmos/Auro for music when the source is Atmos/Auro and like you I also really like Auro 2d for MC music regardless of the source (are we the only two who bought the upgrade?). I wish there was more music in Auro 3D format as that is the better sounding format even though it only allows the use of one pair of the ceiling speakers. That said, the Atmos Bailando music demo on the Atmos disk sounds and looks great too.

Bottom line is unlike 3D video, these 3D audio formats will rule the HT future.

Opinions are not facts.
post #28827 of 31063 Old 04-14-2015, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I posted this in the Acoustical Treatments Master Thread, but this one seems to be a grab bag for audio advice and I value the opinions of many here from previous experience.

I've been exchanging emails with GIK regarding my small HT room. I'd like to see what type of advice is offered here as well. The equipment is listed in my signature.

If you had to prioritize how you would treat the room shown in the linked image using GIK (or similar) products, where would you start? First priority, second, third, etc. Assume price is not a concern, although it will be (I'd like to spend ~$500 now and get the best improvement possible, with the potential to add more later).

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Edit: Added additional images for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT Layout.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	665722   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1429033621977.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	665762   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1429033722027.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	665770  

Video - Panasonic VT50 55" | Panasonic BDT320
AVR - Denon X4000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350
Speakers - JTR Noesis 228HT | DIY Sound Group Volt V10 | JTR Captivator S2

Last edited by emr25; 04-14-2015 at 10:50 AM.
post #28828 of 31063 Old 04-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Ace of Bass

Agreed 100%! As more content surfaces, DTS:X gets some legs, and more AVR's have it available, I am really excited to for once be a trailblazer on this one. The move to the 7702 has already paid off in my opinion.
RMK! likes this.

post #28829 of 31063 Old 04-14-2015, 11:57 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emr25 View Post
I posted this in the Acoustical Treatments Master Thread, but this one seems to be a grab bag for audio advice and I value the opinions of many here from previous experience.

I've been exchanging emails with GIK regarding my small HT room. I'd like to see what type of advice is offered here as well. The equipment is listed in my signature.

If you had to prioritize how you would treat the room shown in the linked image using GIK (or similar) products, where would you start? First priority, second, third, etc. Assume price is not a concern, although it will be (I'd like to spend ~$500 now and get the best improvement possible, with the potential to add more later).

That's a tough one. Asymmetrical (not necessarily a bad thing) and many hard to treat surfaces (doors windows). How does it sound now?

I'd take a minimalist approach and put a 8" 4'X8' MonsterBass Trap behind each of the mains and see how that sounds. The right wall is window and the left wall is angled and has two doors. Not really a lot of options but I think the MBT's would give you the most bang for the buck.

Opinions are not facts.
post #28830 of 31063 Old 04-14-2015, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by emr25 View Post

Definitely a tough room to treat. Like RMK asked, how does it sound now? Since your seating is right up against a wall I would concentrate on reducing reflections off that rear wall first with a basic panel or two mounted horizontally just over the couch back. Next I would work on reflections from the front wall. After that I would move to the corner traps. Unfortunately it looks like you don't have space for those those behind the speakers so you might consider the upper half of the room for those.
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page