Official JTR speaker thread - Page 961 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #28801 of 30237 Old 04-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Tomorrow is DTS:X announcement day. For those interested.....
asoofi1 and nash23 like this.

Nabs17
Nabs17 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #28802 of 30237 Old 04-08-2015, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRisti View Post
Hey guys, given a relatively small room ( 330 sq ft ) would it be beneficial for me to run high wattage pro-amplifiers on my LCR 215RM's ? I'm planning to use my trusty Sunfire Grand 200 ( 400watts x 5 @ 4ohms ) which was just serviced last year by their official service outlet so it's running in tip-top condition. Some amplifiers im considering are inuke's, peavey ipr's and maybe crowns itechs.

I don't listen at reference level (although it might be fun to crank it up when i have guests over) and i will probably be listening to music (live concerts and CD's) as much as watching movies in this room treated home theater/office. The 215RM's will be paired with 2 JTR cap2400 with slanted 8's in the rear and triple 8ht-lp on the sides for a 7.2 set-up. Thank you !
That's plenty power for the RM's. But you should keep that option in mind. Well if incase your curious. These speakers can really climb if you wanna find out one day what they can do.
lbrown105 and APRisti like this.
rhed is offline  
post #28803 of 30237 Old 04-09-2015, 05:05 AM
Member
 
nash23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anyone else purchase the 210rm.

I just ordered 1 as a center channel. Based on Jeff's comments earlier regarding the 210rm and 215rm vs 212ht-lp, I assume the mid bass issue may not be too drastic.

Panasonic PT-AE7000 | Denon 4311 | Emotiva XPA-2/5 | JTR Single 8ht-LP for LR | Deftech Procinema 1000 surrounds | Seaton Submersive HPi+/Slave Subwoofers
nash23 is offline  
post #28804 of 30237 Old 04-09-2015, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash23 View Post
Anyone else purchase the 210rm.

I just ordered 1 as a center channel. Based on Jeff's comments earlier regarding the 210rm and 215rm vs 212ht-lp, I assume the mid bass issue may not be too drastic.
I'm in the process of ordering one. I'm just waiting on a quote to see how much extra cost/time would be required for and auto finish.
nash23 likes this.
cmryan821 is offline  
post #28805 of 30237 Old 04-09-2015, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,750
Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Yes indeed can't say that I like Slayer but you can't dislike my Steely Dan songs I mention earlier...right??? You gotta like Deacon Blues.....
I've probably heard it but not sure, I'll check it out. I'm a pretty open minded with music, so chances are I will like it. Having nice speakers has opened me up to all kinds of different music - however I always return to metal and it's what I listen to the most.
Nabs17 likes this.
carp is online now  
post #28806 of 30237 Old 04-09-2015, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
I'm in the process of ordering one. I'm just waiting on a quote to see how much extra cost/time would be required for and auto finish.
Nice...let us know if you decide to go with the auto finsh.

Nabs17
Nabs17 is offline  
post #28807 of 30237 Old 04-09-2015, 08:08 AM
Ace of Bass
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 9,335
Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRisti View Post
Hey guys, given a relatively small room ( 330 sq ft ) would it be beneficial for me to run high wattage pro-amplifiers on my LCR 215RM's ? I'm planning to use my trusty Sunfire Grand 200 ( 400watts x 5 @ 4ohms ) which was just serviced last year by their official service outlet so it's running in tip-top condition. Some amplifiers im considering are inuke's, peavey ipr's and maybe crowns itechs.

I don't listen at reference level (although it might be fun to crank it up when i have guests over) and i will probably be listening to music (live concerts and CD's) as much as watching movies in this room treated home theater/office. The 215RM's will be paired with 2 JTR cap2400 with slanted 8's in the rear and triple 8ht-lp on the sides for a 7.2 set-up. Thank you !
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I don't think you'll need it. I have the 215RMs and I'm using a DSonic amp. It's rated close to your's and it's all I need. But I'm trying to remember if thats one of the amps that might have a hiss to it with high efficiency speakers. That may be something to be aware of.

Yep, for reference or above you might be hitting limits of 400 watts. The RM is sealed right? A little more power might not hurt, but hiss with that will certainly not be an issue regardless. No worries there

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)
 
HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
beastaudio is offline  
post #28808 of 30237 Old 04-09-2015, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 2,310
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Tomorrow is DTS:X announcement day. For those interested.....
What seems to be lost in all this interest in the new surround formats is the limited bandwidth that has to go along with having more channels.

The Atmos frequency response for mains is 80-16kHz +/- 3dB. For the LFE channel it is 31.5-120 Hz +/- 3dB. Surround subwoofers are specified at 40-120 Hz +3/-6 dB. The reason for the limited bandwidth has to do with leaving enough digital headroom for down mixing to smaller venue sizes if they desire to be energy neutral.

It seems counterintuative for the JTR crowd to purchase so much subwoofer capability yet desire to "upgrade" to a limited bandwidth format.
desertdome is offline  
post #28809 of 30237 Old 04-09-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,852
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 453
I am not sure that those specs translate to what is on the disc, seems to be the specs for in the theater space. If its what is encoded on the disc, what a giant leap backwards. Damn near as bad as VHS.

___________________________________________
NWCgrad's Mostly DIY Basement HT - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad's 10” coaxial collaborative design - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ve-design.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #28810 of 30237 Old 04-09-2015, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I don't believe those FR specs indicate what is on the disc either. I'm thinking those are guidelines for the speakers themselves meaning they must be able to cover that range. For example, when referring to the LFE channel it says: "The Low-Frequency Effects channel subwoofer must have a flat response over the range of 31.5 to 120 Hz". I don't take that to mean that is the entire range of the LFE encoded on the disc.

Nabs17
Nabs17 is offline  
post #28811 of 30237 Old 04-09-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Tomorrow is DTS:X announcement day. For those interested.....
DTS X News Highlights:
--Denon’s currently available AVR-X7200W will get a DTS:X firmware upgrade later in 2015.

--Integra will launch several components by fall 2015.

--Marantz’s currently available AV8802 AVP will get a firmware upgrade later in 2015.

--Onkyo will launch several models by fall 2015.

--Pioneer will offer DTS:X, but details weren’t disclosed.

--Yamaha will launch DTS:X-ready components in the fall

--DTS:X AVRs in 2015 will be able to support up to 11.2 speaker-output channels and could support up to 32 speaker locations subject to the capabilities of each manufacturers products

--90 percent of the home AVR and AVP market will launch DTS:X-enabled products starting in early summer

http://v2.twice.com/news/audio/dts-d...theaters/56710

---------------------------------------------------------------
current gear: lcr JTR 212HT ~ quad JTR 8LP ~ dual JTR Orbit Shifters LFU ~ Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
asoofi1 is online now  
post #28812 of 30237 Old 04-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,752
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
What seems to be lost in all this interest in the new surround formats is the limited bandwidth that has to go along with having more channels.

The Atmos frequency response for mains is 80-16kHz +/- 3dB. For the LFE channel it is 31.5-120 Hz +/- 3dB. Surround subwoofers are specified at 40-120 Hz +3/-6 dB. The reason for the limited bandwidth has to do with leaving enough digital headroom for down mixing to smaller venue sizes if they desire to be energy neutral.

It seems counterintuative for the JTR crowd to purchase so much subwoofer capability yet desire to "upgrade" to a limited bandwidth format.
Interesting and concerning.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #28813 of 30237 Old 04-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Ace of Bass
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 9,335
Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Shouldn't be. As others have already said, these are just specifications, not what could "potentially" be mixed into the channels. It is why they are adding more processing power to the new units to allow for the additional channels, the better codecs, and still preserve their predecessors at the same time. It's about as important as "THX Spec" which we all know about already. There are already atmos mixed tracks that are well beyond the "Specs" laid out by Dolby. Plus, Dolby is getting into the speaker game. They don't want specs their pro speakers can't keep up with....do they?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)
 
HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
beastaudio is offline  
post #28814 of 30237 Old 04-09-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HTPCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I am thinking of installing 4 in ceiling speakers for Atmos, Auro & DTS X. Anybody have any suggestions? I have been looking at the klipsch CDT 5800 c ii or the jbl L228c or golden ear hrt 7000.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

HTPCat is online now  
post #28815 of 30237 Old 04-10-2015, 06:41 AM
Ace of Bass
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 9,335
Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
I am thinking of installing 4 in ceiling speakers for Atmos, Auro & DTS X. Anybody have any suggestions? I have been looking at the klipsch CDT 5800 c ii or the jbl L228c or golden ear hrt 7000.
ChopShop has been having a lot of fun listening to a pair of JBL SCS8's that he scooped about a week ago. He hasn't gotten them in ceiling or anything yet, but has just been running stereo and he is MAD impressed so far by them. He is sending me a set to check out against a few other designs I am working on, so I can comment more once I hear them in person, but the specs look pretty darn good.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)
 
HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
beastaudio is offline  
post #28816 of 30237 Old 04-10-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HTPCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
ChopShop has been having a lot of fun listening to a pair of JBL SCS8's that he scooped about a week ago. He hasn't gotten them in ceiling or anything yet, but has just been running stereo and he is MAD impressed so far by them. He is sending me a set to check out against a few other designs I am working on, so I can comment more once I hear them in person, but the specs look pretty darn good.
I would love to go with the SCS8's but they are really big for my dual purpose room and not sure my wife would approve. I could probably get her reluctant approval with a single pair which is probably all I need for my space. It is a family room that is 14' x 14' with no right side wall (just a open area to kitchen and dining room) with a plan to put in a 20" false wall in front reducing the length to 12' and the sofa is 2' from back wall.
RMK! likes this.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"


Last edited by HTPCat; 04-10-2015 at 09:55 AM.
HTPCat is online now  
post #28817 of 30237 Old 04-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Ace of Bass
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 9,335
Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Well there ya have it then!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)
 
HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
beastaudio is offline  
post #28818 of 30237 Old 04-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
ahmedreda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 68
You could use the Volt 10lx. It is mentioned in this thread that they can be installed in ceiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
I would love to go with the SCS8's but they are really big for my dual purpose room and not sure my wife would approve. I could probably get her reluctant approval with a single pair which is probably all I need for my space. It is a family room that is 14' x 14' with no right side wall (just a open area to kitchen and dining room) with a plan to put in a 20" false wall in front reducing the length to 12' and the sofa is 2' from back wall.
ahmedreda is online now  
post #28819 of 30237 Old 04-10-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HTPCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post
You could use the Volt 10lx. It is mentioned in this thread that they can be installed in ceiling.
Building the rings for mounting in the ceiling would be difficult as I don't have much of the skills needed for this fine of detail work, nor the tools

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

HTPCat is online now  
post #28820 of 30237 Old 04-10-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dlbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,427
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 291
dlbeck is offline  
post #28821 of 30237 Old 04-10-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dlbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,427
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Very good recommendation by Jeff - this disc has some awesome demo material.
dlbeck is offline  
post #28822 of 30237 Old 04-10-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 7,757
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
I think I'm just going to follow dlbeck around to every thread, and every post and just laud his theater. His JTR system and theater experience is nothing short of incredible. I can't stop thinking about it since I visited for his crawl. We watched two action movies back to back at reference level. Maze Runner, and John Wick, and my ears weren't one bit sore the next day. I can't think of a single other theater I've visited that I could say that about.

FANTASTIC.

INCREDIBLE.

My hat is off...
RMK! and Hopinater like this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is online now  
post #28823 of 30237 Old 04-10-2015, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dlbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,427
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I think I'm just going to follow dlbeck around to every thread, and every post and just laud his theater. His JTR system and theater experience is nothing short of incredible. I can't stop thinking about it since I visited for his crawl. We watched two action movies back to back at reference level. Maze Runner, and John Wick, and my ears weren't one bit sore the next day. I can't think of a single other theater I've visited that I could say that about.

FANTASTIC.

INCREDIBLE.

My hat is off...
Thanks man. The KC crew is welcome anytime. See you in a few weeks
dlbeck is offline  
post #28824 of 30237 Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Watch "Whiplash"...you'll be at reference before you know it...the music and the drumming is great on the Jayterz....it will make you want to max out the volume and you'll find your feet tapping away. Very good movie for music lovers.
RMK! likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------
current gear: lcr JTR 212HT ~ quad JTR 8LP ~ dual JTR Orbit Shifters LFU ~ Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
asoofi1 is online now  
post #28825 of 30237 Old 04-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,752
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 766
We had rhed and his family over for a visit yesterday afternoon so that he (Rod) could hear my Atmos setup. He is here in CA visiting family and since there are no Atmos Theaters in Hawaii, it was cool that this provided us the opportunity to meet and, allow Rod to hear an Atmos HT setup. First I'd like to say that it was a really fun time for my wife and I and Rod has a great family. It is so cool that this Forum provides an opportunity to meet people you would likely never meet were it not for this hobby of ours. Turns out our wives had a lot in common and they got on great. Rods kids and local based family were also very nice and fun to be around. All in all a very nice experience and we hope to see them all again.

Re my Atmos HT, just yesterday received a pair of new Slanted 8's that I installed as Surround Back speakers. I had bought a little Inuke 1000 to power them and re-ran the Audyssey setup in a Atmos 7.1.4 configuration on my Marantz AV7702 pre/pro. After the 8 position Audyssey setup, I listened to the Atmos demo disk specifically the Amaze Trailer and the Enrique Iglesias Music Video: Bailando. With Audyssey engaged, the powerful bass part of the Amaze trailer was effectively neutered even at ref level. The terrific Bailando music video was also sapped of it's sparkle and liveliness with Auydessy engaged. With Audyssey off, the bass was back and the music had it's vitality restored. I don't know why Audyssey is so inconsistent, but it must be due to variables like mic position and ambient noise. In any case, it is nice for the initial setup but what it does to the sound is far too dramatic and inconsistent for my taste.

The one feature that the Marantz has that my previous Integra or Denon units did not is to allow the copying of the Audyssey "Flat Response Curve" to the Marantz Manual EQ. At that point, you can tweak the individual channels, all of the channels together or just the L&R channels by using the 9 fixed point Manual EQ in the Marantz. Using the Audyssey flat curve as a starting point is a nice feature and allows for a degree of customization. It is what I am currently using to good effect.

Due to all of the treatments in my room and by sheer luck, I seem to have good sound without much if any EQ needed. So in my on again off again relationship with Audyssey it is now off and will probably stay that way for the foreseeable. The room measures well without Audyssey and even something like Dirac seems unnecessary. I like the "sound" of the Marantz and I'm staying the course (for a while ) and really enjoying my little HT version of 3D audio. The Atmos/Auro 3D audio formats are one of the cooler upgrades I have done and for me, there is no going back to one dimensional sound in the HT.
dgage, asoofi1, nash23 and 1 others like this.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; 04-11-2015 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Marantz-Audyssey EQ feature
RMK! is offline  
post #28826 of 30237 Old 04-11-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 3,845
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I think I'm just going to follow dlbeck around to every thread, and every post and just laud his theater. His JTR system and theater experience is nothing short of incredible. I can't stop thinking about it since I visited for his crawl. We watched two action movies back to back at reference level. Maze Runner, and John Wick, and my ears weren't one bit sore the next day. I can't think of a single other theater I've visited that I could say that about.

FANTASTIC.

INCREDIBLE.

My hat is off...
I hate myself that I missed it. The Iowa GTG looked great! So be it though. I really wanted to comment on Maze Runner. I really liked that flick and the bass was a big surprise. If anyone has not yet seen Maze Runner yet, be sure to get a copy and do it!
RMK! likes this.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #28827 of 30237 Old 04-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Ace of Bass
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 9,335
Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Very good recommendation by Jeff - this disc has some awesome demo material.
What type of music is on the disc?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)
 
HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
beastaudio is offline  
post #28828 of 30237 Old 04-11-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dlbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,427
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 291
After listening to it last night a couple times I would say it's not worth the $30-$40. It's got some cool tracks for you to assess detail, spaciousness, and dynamics. More than happy to let people borrow it....will bring it to KC.

Selections:
1. Intro & Left-Right Test
2. Pinknoise Level Test
3. Carl Cleves & Parissa Bouas “Sharpening A Knife” Tiefbass
4. Percussion-Ensemble (Improvisation) Tiefbass
5. David Munyon “A Hard Rain’s A-gonna Fall” Bass
6. The Bassface Swing Trio “Oh, Lady Be Good” Bass
7. Allan Taylor “Scotty” Grundton
8. McKinley Black “Hunger” Grundton
9. Anne-Marie Jean & Sebastian Sternal “Les mains d’Elsa” Mittelton
10. Dennis Kolen “For Cloud Dog And Jane” Mittelton
11. Percussion-Ensemble (Improvisation) Hochton
12. Allan Taylor “Firefly” Hochton
13. Barbara Burkle & The Bassface Swing Trio “Easy To Love” Balance
14. Sara K. “Sizzlin’ ” Balance
15. Djembe Walk Breite & Tiefe
16. The Tiptons (Saxophone Improvisation) Fokus
17. Johanna Single “Am Springbrunnen” Feindynamik
18. Percussion-Ensemble (Glockenspiel) Feindynamik
Bonus:
19. Drumset
20. Fireworks
dlbeck is offline  
post #28829 of 30237 Old 04-12-2015, 12:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was just at RMK's absolutely beautiful house auditioning his JTR Atmos system. Rob is just such a gracious host and a wonderful person to talk to. It is really refreshing to meet an audiophile who is enthusiastic about just great sound rather than absolute purity and accuracy. I had an absolute blast checking out his 215RT's and the Atmos system. I've never experienced bass like this, ever! This is far more visceral than the JL F113. This is making the rational decision of not buying the Captivator 1400 for fear of getting evicted much harder!

My experience with audio is mostly limited to "audiophile" speakers, and lately I've been a little bored by them, so I wanted to check out the JTRs and what all the buzz is about. The 215RT is by far and away the cleanest speaker I've ever heard. There are many times when I'm thinking "this isn't that loud", and I'd try to talk to Rob and realize I can't really hear myself. What also stunned me was what was probably the most natural and pure midrange I've ever heard. I did not expect that at all.

You guys might be surprised by this, but I wished we backed down on the volume on some of the music tracks to get an idea of how the 215 sounds at a normal volume. We were listening at close to reference level while my normal listening volume is -40dB! (I suspect that'll go way up if I get a pair of JTRs!) I think the high res tracks Rob was playing was just "quieter" as I didn't hear much of a volume difference with music and movies.

Thank you Rob for letting me listen to your amazing system! I wish I could do Dolby Atmos, but I think I might have to live with a 2.1 system with a phantom center for a while until I get my own place. Nevertheless, it gives me something to dream about and work towards to!
RMK! likes this.
bcodemz is online now  
post #28830 of 30237 Old 04-12-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,750
Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
After listening to it last night a couple times I would say it's not worth the $30-$40. It's got some cool tracks for you to assess detail, spaciousness, and dynamics. More than happy to let people borrow it....will bring it to KC.

Selections:
1. Intro & Left-Right Test
2. Pinknoise Level Test
3. Carl Cleves & Parissa Bouas “Sharpening A Knife” Tiefbass
4. Percussion-Ensemble (Improvisation) Tiefbass
5. David Munyon “A Hard Rain’s A-gonna Fall” Bass
6. The Bassface Swing Trio “Oh, Lady Be Good” Bass
7. Allan Taylor “Scotty” Grundton
8. McKinley Black “Hunger” Grundton
9. Anne-Marie Jean & Sebastian Sternal “Les mains d’Elsa” Mittelton
10. Dennis Kolen “For Cloud Dog And Jane” Mittelton
11. Percussion-Ensemble (Improvisation) Hochton
12. Allan Taylor “Firefly” Hochton
13. Barbara Burkle & The Bassface Swing Trio “Easy To Love” Balance
14. Sara K. “Sizzlin’ ” Balance
15. Djembe Walk Breite & Tiefe
16. The Tiptons (Saxophone Improvisation) Fokus
17. Johanna Single “Am Springbrunnen” Feindynamik
18. Percussion-Ensemble (Glockenspiel) Feindynamik
Bonus:
19. Drumset
20. Fireworks
Shoot... I guess I should have held off but they had me at "Fireworks".
countryWV likes this.
carp is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off