Official JTR speaker thread - Page 965 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #28921 of 28947 Old 04-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
I always love hearing your system, so just let me know when you are up for a demo and I will come by.
PM sent

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28922 of 28947 Old 04-18-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Finally tried Awolnation "Sail"...I'm in punch-my-chest-heaven. You guys must try it. Just start at -10 volume. And I sually do Stereo...but I really like it in DTS Neo X...last mode it was on before so just started with it without even realizing.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS

Last edited by asoofi1; 04-18-2015 at 12:34 PM.
post #28923 of 28947 Old 04-18-2015, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Anyone has Tidal.. Try Steve Gadd Band (70 Strong). Play track 1 (Foam Home). Turn it up!! Well if you guys are into Jazz. Especially drums.. That track will bring out the mid bass in our speakers.
post #28924 of 28947 Old 04-18-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Anyone has Tidal.. Try Steve Gadd Band (70 Strong). Play track 1 (Foam Home). Turn it up!! Well if you guys are into Jazz. Especially drums.. That track will bring out the mid bass in our speakers.
I would like to get Deezer. I just don't listen to all that much music. I will be honest I have not been out in my theater in 3 weeks. I have been so busy at work not to mention my projector is giving me problems. I am waiting for a deal on a yearly package on a streaming service and then I am in!!
post #28925 of 28947 Old 04-18-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I would like to get Deezer. I just don't listen to all that much music. I will be honest I have not been out in my theater in 3 weeks. I have been so busy at work not to mention my projector is giving me problems. I am waiting for a deal on a yearly package on a streaming service and then I am in!!
Nice.. Curious to how Deezer compares to Tidal. Tidal expanded a lot on their music library. Still streaming through them since January.
I too get busy with work at times and don't have time for the hobbies. But work does come first to support it. Haha..
post #28926 of 28947 Old 04-18-2015, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Hey guys -

I'm considering getting JTR 228's for my LCR's. I currently have GoldenEar Triton 2's and a SuperCenter XL in my set up. What are everyone's thoughts on this possible upgrade? Should I just hold out to find a deal on some 212's instead? Or will the 228's be more than enough. My room is only about 15 feet x 22 feet.

Keep in mind, my 4 surrounds are also GoldenEar Supersat 60's.
I also currently have 2 SVS PB13 Ultras.

Probably 75% movie use.
post #28927 of 28947 Old 04-18-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
Hey guys -

I'm considering getting JTR 228's for my LCR's. I currently have GoldenEar Triton 2's and a SuperCenter XL in my set up. What are everyone's thoughts on this possible upgrade? Should I just hold out to find a deal on some 212's instead? Or will the 228's be more than enough. My room is only about 15 feet x 22 feet.

Probably 75% movie use.
I seen you posted in the classifieds for Rays 228's. For 75% movie use, the 228's would be just fine. We just discussed this a couple of weeks ago and some of the guys have tested both the 212's and 228's and for movie use they were almost identical. That is a great deal on the 228's and I think you would be very happy with them.
post #28928 of 28947 Old 04-18-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 258
228's will definitely be plenty.
post #28929 of 28947 Old 04-18-2015, 05:29 PM

Thats what I was thinking too. I think if I had the ability to put the speakers behind my screen, I would splurge for the 212's. The main reason I'd want to pick up the 228's would be for an upgrade in my center channel. Don't get me wrong, GoldenEar has some fantastic speakers, but I think I can definitely improve

Now since I have not heard any JTR's in person, do these sound at all similar to the Klipsch RF 7ii's? I say this because thats the last "horn" speaker I had some time with, and to be honest, I wasn't a fan when I compared it to the ribbon tweeter of the Triton's.
post #28930 of 28947 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking too. I think if I had the ability to put the speakers behind my screen, I would splurge for the 212's. The main reason I'd want to pick up the 228's would be for an upgrade in my center channel. Don't get me wrong, GoldenEar has some fantastic speakers, but I think I can definitely improve

Now since I have not heard any JTR's in person, do these sound at all similar to the Klipsch RF 7ii's? I say this because thats the last "horn" speaker I had some time with, and to be honest, I wasn't a fan when I compared it to the ribbon tweeter of the Triton's.
The 228's will make awesome surrounds should you ever decide to move on to other main speakers. That said, if you like music you should at least consider the 210RT's ... says the "Pusher" .

Sorry, old song reference from an old guy.
Naylorman32 likes this.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #28931 of 28947 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Dang a Hoyt Axton reference on the JTR thread! Nice...

Steppenwolf did a great job with the song. I have the SACD but not sure the higher resolution really provided anything worthwhile.

post #28932 of 28947 Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Stopped by RMK's place today for a demo of Atmos, Rob was a gracious host as always and I just can't say enough about his system. Each time I have come by the system has been changed/upgraded and each time I think it can't get any better but it does! We watched/listened to an Atmos demo disc and a Auro demo as well as some clips from Unbroken and John Wick with some awesome 2 channel thrown in. Just superb sound. The treatments in the room make every detail in the audio noticeable, clear and concise. I was ducking for cover during the unbroken clip where the plane begins taking gun ground fire just before the bombs are dropped and then the air battle that ensues. Thanks Rob for a great demo, I am sold on Top speakers for the 3D sound. I am going to try and wait until mid 2016 when the 2nd generation pre/pros & AVRs begin showing up to see how it all plays out. Perhaps by then Jeff will have come out with some Atmos speakers that are somewhat smaller for placement on the ceiling.

PS - with 3 215RTs up front there was plenty of bass, no need for subs at all
carp, Jeff Permanian and EarlK like this.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #28933 of 28947 Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
Stopped by RMK's place today for a demo of Atmos, Rob was a gracious host as always and I just can't say enough about his system. Each time I have come by the system has been changed/upgraded and each time I think it can't get any better but it does! We watched/listened to an Atmos demo disc and a Auro demo as well as some clips from Unbroken and John Wick with some awesome 2 channel thrown in. Just superb sound. The treatments in the room make every detail in the audio noticeable, clear and concise. I was ducking for cover during the unbroken clip where the plane begins taking gun ground fire just before the bombs are dropped and then the air battle that ensues. Thanks Rob for a great demo, I am sold on Top speakers for the 3D sound. I am going to try and wait until mid 2016 when the 2nd generation pre/pros & AVRs begin showing up to see how it all plays out. Perhaps by then Jeff will have come out with some Atmos speakers that are somewhat smaller for placement on the ceiling.

PS - with 3 215RTs up front there was plenty of bass, no need for subs at all
Thanks for the nice comments Scott. Always good seeing you and thanks for the long term loan of the Blurays and for all the great hirez music you gave me last visit. We have similar taste in music and it has been fun listening to new stuff along with some old favorites. I hope 3D audio is here to stay as I am completely bought in especially for movies but as always, having the correct setup makes all the difference.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; Today at 07:45 AM.
post #28934 of 28947 Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Hey guys -

Probably 75% movie use.
Coming from AMT tweeters in Tritons, I suspect that you'd prefer one of the coax-based JTRs (212HTs, 210s, 215s), to deliver that kind of sweet sounding treble (plus amazing dynamics), if music is important to you. Also, keep in mind that you will need to combine them with subs, unless you get one of the full range RT models.
post #28935 of 28947 Old Today, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Although I agree with you that I prefer AMTs over Klipsch, I prefer the 212HTs over AMTs. I assume that the same applies to any JTR speaker built on the coax driver.

They match the ribbon's sweet sounding, extended treble, but add another league of dynamics, integration with mids, more consistent off-axis response, yet less unwanted reflections.

It would be an unfortunate mistake to assume all horns sound alike.
HTPCat, EarlK, nash23 and 1 others like this.
post #28936 of 28947 Old Today, 08:41 AM

I appreciate the feedback you guys have given me! It's getting harder and harder to deny the justified popularity JTR has on here.
post #28937 of 28947 Old Today, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
I appreciate the feedback you guys have given me! It's getting harder and harder to deny the justified popularity JTR has on here.
There has to be someone close to you that has JTR. I'd try to find a forum member that will demo their stuff.
post #28938 of 28947 Old Today, 10:30 AM

Does anyone see any issue with having two different brand speakers integrated in my system? So I would still use 4 GoldenEar SuperSat 60's as my surrounds, while having the JTR's as my LCR. I know a lot of people have multiple brands in their system and have no issues whatsoever, but would having two different tweeter styles create an obvious difference?

Maybe I'm over thinking this. I've just always had the same brand setup through the years.

My theater should be complete within the next month. Just had my ceiling installed, so I'm onto the painting process. While upgrading my LCR was never really in my plans for financial reasons, the JTR love is just overwhelming and too tempting to resist!
post #28939 of 28947 Old Today, 11:52 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked: 1229
Quote:
Does anyone see any issue with having two different brand speakers integrated in my system? So I would still use 4 GoldenEar SuperSat 60's as my surrounds, while having the JTR's as my LCR. I know a lot of people have multiple brands in their system and have no issues whatsoever, but would having two different tweeter styles create an obvious difference?

Maybe I'm over thinking this. I've just always had the same brand setup through the years.

My theater should be complete within the next month. Just had my ceiling installed, so I'm onto the painting process. While upgrading my LCR was never really in my plans for financial reasons, the JTR love is just overwhelming and too tempting to resist!
Two things, I would definitely demo some JTR's or at least some other high efficiency/compression driver type design. Some people love it some people don't find it as appealing. As far as mixing domes with something like JTR up front, the sheer difference in dynamic output that you will be lacking in your surrounds compared to some JTR's will likely cause issues. You can probably slide by for a while with this type setup, but I would definitely plan to upgrade your surrounds at some point in the future should you take this route. I know of several guys near the Philly area that might let you demo a high efficiency setup.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #28940 of 28947 Old Today, 12:22 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Two things, I would definitely demo some JTR's or at least some other high efficiency/compression driver type design. Some people love it some people don't find it as appealing. As far as mixing domes with something like JTR up front, the sheer difference in dynamic output that you will be lacking in your surrounds compared to some JTR's will likely cause issues. You can probably slide by for a while with this type setup, but I would definitely plan to upgrade your surrounds at some point in the future should you take this route. I know of several guys near the Philly area that might let you demo a high efficiency setup.
+1

As the new 3D audio products roll out, the HT sound field is being expanded with much more activity in the surrounds than was found with the traditional surround formats. All of the 3D audio demo disks provide great examples of why having surrounds that are well matched to your mains is so important. The Tractor Passing demo on the Auro Demo Disk is an excellent example as the side surrounds do a lot of the heavy lifting required to achieve a realistic effect of the close proximity tractor pass. It is one of the cooler 3D effects I have heard and it really pushes my very capable side surrounds to their limit.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #28941 of 28947 Old Today, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
There has to be someone close to you that has JTR. I'd try to find a forum member that will demo their stuff.
I have 7 JTR speakers and I love them...for the sound...for the build quality. I did not get to audition any before the purchase, my decision was made exclusively by the people on this forum and it worked out for me. If you can demo them, you should try but here's one guy who didn't and am extremely happy.
countryWV and Naylorman32 like this.

Nabs17

Last edited by Nabs17; Today at 01:18 PM.
post #28942 of 28947 Old Today, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I posted in the Cap 1400 thread and I'll post here for all JTR collective.....I just placed my order for 2 Cap 1400's.

I'm soooooo out of control. I'm not even going to pretend and say I'm done because I know I'm not.

Nabs17
post #28943 of 28947 Old Today, 01:35 PM

lets say, hypothetically I don't upgrade my system for one of the newer sound formats for AT LEAST 2-3 years. Getting by with a 7 channel system, albeit with a combination of GoldenEars and JTRs, would be suitable enough I would think, right? (probably lying to myself based on my track record of upgrading to the latest tech)

This forum is easily the worst influence on my wallet.
post #28944 of 28947 Old Today, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I had Triple 12 LCR w/ DefTech Mythos Tens as side and rear surrounds for a couple years. They sounded great together below -10. After that they would start compressing. They were definitely the weak link in my system so I would never go past reference level to avoid blowing the Tens.
RMK! likes this.

Chris

For Sale: LCR X 3 2012 JTR Triple 12 Excellent condition
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iple-12-a.html

Last edited by countryWV; Today at 02:00 PM.
post #28945 of 28947 Old Today, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the same shoe with you Naylorman32. , the different I have B&W surruond and they (JTR) recommended
Noesis 210RM. I just sold B&W 804 as front and I like to upgrade and see the different in JTR speakers. What do you guys think? I also looking at B&W 802D

I am still researching if I want to upgrade all at once or get a front first. Time will tell.
post #28946 of 28947 Unread Today, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinha916 View Post
I am in the same shoe with you Naylorman32. , the different I have B&W surruond and they (JTR) recommended
Noesis 210RM. I just sold B&W 804 as front and I like to upgrade and see the different in JTR speakers. What do you guys think? I also looking at B&W 802D

I am still researching if I want to upgrade all at once or get a front first. Time will tell.
I love the sound of B&W 802Ds, so perhaps we have similar taste. That said, the JTR 212HTs made me stop caring about 802Ds. The B&W, Goldenears, and JTRs actually have a lot in common, to my ears.

Get 3x JTRs (whatever model makes sense for you) for the front soundstage and 4x good subs (if you don't already have them).

I think the B&W and Goldenear surrounds will be pretty reasonable with JTR LCRs, but some high efficiency coax surrounds would be ideal for surrounds and ceiling speakers.
post #28947 of 28947 Unread Today, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinha916 View Post

The Noesis 210RT is a TRUE FR speaker... Another good combo would be 212HT LCR with dual Capitivator 1400's. The 1400's have a intro sale right now. Almost 400$ less.
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page