Official JTR speaker thread - Page 970 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #29071 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Would it work? Absolutely. But what are your dimensional constraints? The only concern I have with the 210RM as a center is the smaller horn but that depends on the size of your room too. I might even suggest just starting with the 215RMs and seeing what you think of those as a phantom center. With as large a soundstage as the 215RMs throw, it really might surprise you how encompassing they could be. I only had a pair of 212s in my exhibition room so I was running movie demos with a phantom center and it sounded great. I was using a MiniDSP NanoAVR to pass the center signal to L/R and I didn't really think about it, but I might like that better than all dialog coming from a center speaker.
Hi Dgage,

I was one of the people who took advantage of Jeff's moving sale and purchased the 210rm for my center duties. i also purchase the Single8ht-lp for my surrounds.

Now it is a toss up between 212ht/210rt/215rm for the LR.

Going back and forth on this. Might just stick with the 215rm as i have started listening to more music.

Panasonic PT-AE7000 | Denon 4311 | Emotiva XPA-2/5 | JTR Single 8ht-LP for LR | Deftech Procinema 1000 surrounds | Seaton Submersive HPi+/Slave Subwoofers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29072 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
It's best if your LCRs all have matching crossovers, so that things stay in phase when you pan between speakers. Phase and timbre matching will produce the best imaging.

I believe the 2014 and 2015 models have different horns, drivers, and crossovers.
Thanks rcohen, your right the 2014 212 does have a different driver as well.
That's what I get for trying to do 2 things as once. =)
post #29073 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Very cool, make sure you post some pics of your setup when you get them!!
Yes sir, as soon as I get em in.
post #29074 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
That is one mean looking horn.

Congrats on the new theater digs. I'm sure it's gonna be awesome.

You have my condolences.
HaHa- Right now everything sounds good…..I know it will be better with the new gear.

Now the OCD begins.
post #29075 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
Here's a picture of the Noesis 210RM:
Hey Jeff,

Looks good. Hope its mine

Panasonic PT-AE7000 | Denon 4311 | Emotiva XPA-2/5 | JTR Single 8ht-LP for LR | Deftech Procinema 1000 surrounds | Seaton Submersive HPi+/Slave Subwoofers
post #29076 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 07:07 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1651 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash23 View Post
Hi Dgage,

I was one of the people who took advantage of Jeff's moving sale and purchased the 210rm for my center duties. i also purchase the Single8ht-lp for my surrounds.

Going back and forth on this. Might just stick with the 215rm as i have started listening to more music.
If you have started to listen to more music lately, before you even have JTR's up front, be prepared to up the ante even more once they are installed. It took me from casual music listening to close to 80% music listening once I got my set of T12's back in the day.
nash23 and countryWV like this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
post #29077 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 07:33 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
I also had a brief chance to go up and meet Jeff in person and listen to his 210RT setup. Jeff is a real nice guy, a little quiet and reserved; definitely wouldn't have pegged him as a motorcycle racer but I like that he doesn't fit a mold. The 210RT is a real nice speaker but to really have an opinion, I'd have to A/B them directly against my 212s. The 210RT, using the same compression driver as my 212 has the detail and ease with which I'm accustom to listening. But the pair of 10s in a large ported cabinet brought some nice bass to the mix; the bottom of my chair was giving me a nice massage. If you're primarily a 2-channel listener (at spirited volumes), the 210RT could be a very good choice. For home theater use, they definitely need some subwoofers but the 210RTs likely have as much midbass as anyone could want. For 50/50 use, the 210RT with subs would be a great combination as you could only turn on the subs when watching movies.
Mr. Midbass Aficionado ,
Good that you were able to hear the 210's. Are you there selling something?

Re Jeff, having hosted a couple of GTG's with the guy, he is very economical in his comments about everything. That said, he is very particular about his speaker products performance, and will always err on the side of quality over profit. That makes him a poor businessman in this competitive world. With small performance deltas and the very subjective nature of audio, good marketing can more than offset cheaping out here and there in the BOM. It just isn't that noticeable.

I does seem a bit incongruous that he likes to twist the throttle on motorcycles and loudspeakers but both things relate to feeling power and controlling it. That is a "man thing" and that is why JTR speakers perform and look the way they do. Most of the vendors seem to be selling pretty or cool looking. I prefer the Danley and JTR approach ... no unnecessary pretty ...
rhed, HTPCat and DRC3 like this.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #29078 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 08:27 AM
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Mr. Midbass Aficionado ,

Re Jeff, having hosted a couple of GTG's with the guy, he is very economical in his comments about everything. That said, he is very particular about his speaker products performance, and will always err on the side of quality over profit. That makes him a poor businessman in this competitive world. With small performance deltas and the very subjective nature of audio, good marketing can more than offset cheaping out here and there in the BOM. It just isn't that noticeable.

I does seem a bit incongruous that he likes to twist the throttle on motorcycles and loudspeakers but both things relate to feeling power and controlling it. That is a "man thing" and that is why JTR speakers perform and look the way they do. Most of the vendors seem to be selling pretty or cool looking. I prefer the Danley and JTR approach ... no unnecessary pretty ...
Is he selling something? Sounds like he was selling some JTR's for Jeff honestly, but yes he indeed is.

HT seats for sale!

Last edited by beastaudio; 04-28-2015 at 10:12 AM.
post #29079 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
If you have started to listen to more music lately, before you even have JTR's up front, be prepared to up the ante even more once they are installed. It took me from casual music listening to close to 80% music listening once I got my set of T12's back in the day.

It actually started after I connected my single 8ht-lp as LR. Before that not so much.

post #29080 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 08:56 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Is he selling something? Sounds like he was selling some JTR's for Jeff honestly, but yes he indeed is. have a look:

Official Deep Sea Sound Thread
I believe it's called guerrilla marketing.

Thanks for the link. Guess I have been missing a lot with my Atmos obsession or I just wasn't paying attention. Can't wait till someone up's the ante with a 30" or 36".

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #29081 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
First JTR Experience

I have never heard of this company before. I walked into the room at Axpona and saw what looked like "DJ" speakers hooked up to some kind of ProAudio amp and a laptop for a source. I sat down in the sweet spot, but I don't think that was necessary. I was the only visitor in the room. I could not believe the sound I was hearing. The Neosis 210rt were Clear, top to bottom, easy sounding. These weren't even working, but were bringing in bass that was clear and integrated into the speaker very nicely. Good imaging, and no harsh treble. Only negative would be that it isn't the most revealing treble, like that gained with an electrostat or ribbon, but I could be wrong. But they played clearly and sounded awesome. We cranked up some ACDC and they played loud without any distortion. I loved it. Then I had him play Rebbeca Pigeon and her voice rose up above the speaekers, directly in the middle and I could not believe it. Played some Clapton and the guitar grunted and sizzled. I want 3 of them for my theater. These are on my short list. Just have to sell my current high $$ speakers. I would want to get them in gloss black, if that is possible. They are pretty industrial looking. But I kind of like that too.
post #29082 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
The last time I REALLY enjoyed listening to music was '93 with my last car audio system. '94 is when I purchased my first 5.1 Home Theater system which was a DCM Time Widows 3 set. I did not know it at the time but for me that was the day the music died. Over the next 20 years I never found any HT system that was dynamic enough to hold my long term interest with music. My Mythos ST system was the closest but after 30 or 40 minutes of high volume listening (dynamic levels) my ears would hurt. After 20 years I just assumed that was the give and take with HT.
Nov/Dec 2011 enter 3 x JTR T12's and a pair of SubM HPs and BAM just like that I realized I had been played a Fool by Big Brand companies for 20 years. Now that the marketing blind fold has been removed I ain't going back. I have replaced the T12s with 212HTs but I will always know it was the Awesome 2012 Triple 12 that showed me the difference.

I really hope all quality ID companies succeed.
DRC3 likes this.

Chris

For Sale: LCR X 3 2012 JTR Triple 12 Excellent condition
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iple-12-a.html

Last edited by countryWV; 04-28-2015 at 09:21 AM.
post #29083 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 09:47 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Mr. Midbass Aficionado ,

I'll say Jeff and JTR have definitely spoiled me on traditional speakers. I don't think I'll ever leave a high-efficiency speaker now that I've been exposed to them. And I agree Jeff's speakers are a tremendous value.
post #29084 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 09:57 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
I believe it's called guerrilla marketing.
I'm not sure if that is meant to have a negative connotation but I have no desire to advertise in Jeff's thread. Jeff makes a quality product that I like very much and wanted to post how well my 212s did in yet another room, this one completely untreated. I let some people throw on their own music and with all types it sounded phenomenal covering the entire room with effortless, detailed sound. There were about 20+ people that were intrigued by my speakers and I gave them a quick spiel on high-efficiency speakers, "you''ll give up before they will", and told them to go see Jeff on the floor above. I respect this thread, Jeff, and JTR Speakers too much to become a shill; if I can't do business the right way then I need to close my doors.
nash23 and DRC3 like this.
post #29085 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 09:59 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash23 View Post
Hi Dgage,

Like I said multiple times in this thread, the 215RM is my personal favorite if you can fit it...AND plan to run it with subs. You can't go wrong with any JTR speaker, but especially the 215RM.
nash23 likes this.
post #29086 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Like I said multiple times in this thread, the 215RM is my personal favorite if you can fit it...AND plan to run it with subs. You can't go wrong with any JTR speaker, but especially the 215RM.
90% convinced on the 215rm. Just have to save up now for a month or 2.

post #29087 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 10:13 AM
The Truth Hz

@RMK! I deleted the link so as to not be considered any form of bad marketing. I planned on doing that once you took a look anyways. Guess I should have just PM'd you.

HT seats for sale!
post #29088 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 10:13 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
I'm not sure if that is meant to have a negative connotation but I have no desire to advertise in Jeff's thread. Jeff makes a quality product that I like very much and wanted to post how well my 212s did in yet another room, this one completely untreated. I let some people throw on their own music and with all types it sounded phenomenal covering the entire room with effortless, detailed sound. There were about 20+ people that were intrigued by my speakers and I gave them a quick spiel on high-efficiency speakers, "you''ll give up before they will", and told them to go see Jeff on the floor above. I respect this thread, Jeff, and JTR Speakers too much to become a shill; if I can't do business the right way then I need to close my doors.
David, I'm sorry that my post created that impression. It is just the reality of breaking into the ID audio world that these forums provide the best way to get the word out for new entities and many have followed that course. It looks like you have built a very nice, highly differentiated product with your 24" based sub's. I enjoy your comments and wish you all the best in your venture.
dgage likes this.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #29089 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 10:17 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
David, I'm sorry that my post created that impression. It is just the reality of breaking into the ID audio world that these forums provide the best way to get the word out for new entities and many have followed that course. It looks like you have built a very nice, highly differentiated product with your 24" based sub's. I enjoy your comments and wish you all the best in your venture.
Truly appreciate that RMK!
post #29090 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
@RMK! I deleted the link so as to not be considered any form of bad marketing. I planned on doing that once you took a look anyways. Guess I should have just PM'd you.
That's too bad. It is a good read and interesting product so I'll post it back.

Deep Sea Sound
dgage, beastaudio and countryWV like this.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #29091 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
The 215RM is actually my favorite in the JTR lineup because it is sealed and I've traditionally liked a sealed sound, has plenty of midbass, and has a large horn, which provides a huge soundstage. But fitting the 215RM in a normal room isn't exactly easy but that isn't an issue with most AT screen setups.
I have to agree on the space and mounting thing. I'd be all over a set of "208RM" or 206RM" if such beasts existed.
post #29092 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizerfellow View Post
I have to agree on the space and mounting thing. I'd be all over a set of "208RM" or 206RM" if such beasts existed.
What's wrong with the Noesis 228HT? Are you looking for that size cabinet with the coaxial compress driver?
post #29093 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
What's wrong with the Noesis 228HT? Are you looking for that size cabinet with the coaxial compress driver?
Driver and the 228HT isn't sealed, right? Much demand out there for a 6.5" driver version you think?

Last edited by energizerfellow; 04-28-2015 at 02:11 PM.
post #29094 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizerfellow View Post
Driver and the 228HT isn't sealed, right? Much demand out there for a 6.5" driver version you think?
I'm not so sure. I kinda doubt it for anything other than maybe a surround speaker.

Reason I say this is because I have a 2012 T8-LP, which is a sealed cabinet with two 8" bass drivers and 1 8" coax. While they sound very good, they must be crossed over at 100hz. If I put them in a baffle wall then I might be able to get 80hz out of them. So, I'd suspect if all you have is a pair of 6.5" drivers in a sealed cabinet that this would very much compromise performance below 200hz.

Then again I am NOT an authority on speaker design lol.
post #29095 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightingrob View Post
I have never heard of this company before. I walked into the room at Axpona and saw what looked like "DJ" speakers hooked up to some kind of ProAudio amp and a laptop for a source. I sat down in the sweet spot, but I don't think that was necessary. I was the only visitor in the room. I could not believe the sound I was hearing. The Neosis 210rt were Clear, top to bottom, easy sounding. These weren't even working, but were bringing in bass that was clear and integrated into the speaker very nicely. Good imaging, and no harsh treble. Only negative would be that it isn't the most revealing treble, like that gained with an electrostat or ribbon, but I could be wrong. But they played clearly and sounded awesome. We cranked up some ACDC and they played loud without any distortion. I loved it. Then I had him play Rebbeca Pigeon and her voice rose up above the speaekers, directly in the middle and I could not believe it. Played some Clapton and the guitar grunted and sizzled. I want 3 of them for my theater. These are on my short list. Just have to sell my current high $$ speakers. I would want to get them in gloss black, if that is possible. They are pretty industrial looking. But I kind of like that too.
Welcome to the thread - definitely one of the best on AVS and also one of the best speaker brands available.
post #29096 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
I'm not so sure. I kinda doubt it for anything other than maybe a surround speaker.

Reason I say this is because I have a 2012 T8-LP, which is a sealed cabinet with two 8" bass drivers and 1 8" coax. While they sound very good, they must be crossed over at 100hz. If I put them in a baffle wall then I might be able to get 80hz out of them. So, I'd suspect if all you have is a pair of 6.5" drivers in a sealed cabinet that this would very much compromise performance below 200hz.

Then again I am NOT an authority on speaker design lol.
I have those as side surrounds and the website had them +/- 3db 80hz-20Khz. Audyssey usually sets mine to 80hz and they are surface mounted on the walls so non-baffle. I agree they sound good. I used them running full range in the HT for a month last year and liked them. Most people who watched movies in the HT during that month didn't realize that I only had the Triple 8LP's (L&R) and a Slanted 8 for center channel duty.

Made for a very nice sounding front end and, the dialog clarity out of that little S8 center was fantastic.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #29097 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
I have those as side surrounds and the website had them +/- 3db 80hz-20Khz. Audyssey usually sets mine to 80hz and they are surface mounted on the walls so non-baffle. I agree they sound good. I used them running full range in the HT for a month last year and liked them. Most people who watched movies in the HT during that month didn't realize that I only had the Triple 8LP's (L&R) and a Slanted 8 for center channel duty.

Made for a very nice sounding front end and, the dialog clarity out of that little S8 center was fantastic.

Rob, wasn't that listed at half space though and not full space?
post #29098 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Well, my LR are pulled a little from the front wall (less than a foot) and the center is right against the wall. My LR must be set at 100 or even 110 but the center can be crossed at 80. That's why I was thinking that 80hz would be good in a baffle wall.
post #29099 of 29511 Old 04-28-2015, 10:44 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Rob, wasn't that listed at half space though and not full space?
Yes, listed as 78hz-24Khz (half space)

Quote:
Well, my LR are pulled a little from the front wall (less than a foot) and the center is right against the wall. My LR must be set at 100 or even 110 but the center can be crossed at 80. That's why I was thinking that 80hz would be good in a baffle wall.
I think they are good to 80Hz when close to a boundary. I was surprised at the bass running them full range but I did not push them.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #29100 of 29511 Old 04-30-2015, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Thanks for all your inputs. This is definitely one of the best threads on AVS and a great source of information about JTR speakers. Based on what I have read so far, I have narrowed my choice at this time to 210Rt or 215rm.

The 210RT looks pretty close to 215RM except for the following:
1. Size difference
2. 215rm goes 6hz lower than 210rt.

Given these, are there any advantages to getting 215rm vs 210rt? I have a 22x16x7.5 room with a front false wall that will have the AT screen and panels with the LCR and subs behind them. So the effective room size will be 18x16x7.5. I will use this for 65-35 HT/Music. I also have a sub.

What I like is a huge soundstage, imaging and accurate, dynamic, clean, clear and transparent sound even at reference levels.

Given my needs and the speakers above, which one of the 2 would be better? Or do you think I should be looking at some other set of speakers like Seaton 12C or similar?

Any differences that you noticed between the two for those of you who have heard both? Thanks for your time and inputs.
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page