Official JTR speaker thread - Page 973 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #29161 of 29161 Unread Today, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
As usual you make some very good points RC. I will look at the 2channel PC version of Dirac demo download for my HTPC. Will my USB Omnimic mic work with Dirac?
The trial version actually is the 8 channel version (typically configured for 7.1), although it also works fine for 2 channels. 8 channels is just the maximum that is allowed.

Yes, you can use the Omnimic, although my understanding is that the Omnimic only comes with a 0 degree calibration file.

For stereo, you can either point it between the LRs, or point it up, since Dirac won't let you aim it at individual speakers.
Pointing it between the LRs will show a slight treble rolloff.
Pointing it up gives you a consistent reading for all speakers (LCR & surround), but it will show even more treble rolloff.

That doesn't create a real problem. You just have to keep in mind that the treble rolloff you see is due to the correction file vs. measurement angle, and don't try to boost it back to flat. That would sound terrible. Instead, start by following the overall treble curve from the measurement (including rolloff). That will still fix phase, early reflections, and frequency response irregularities without altering the overall frequency response. From there, you can experiment with altering the target curve, and decide whether you like the changes.

It's a little easier to work with a 90 degree measurement file and a mic set to 90 degrees. In that case, what you see is what you get. I'd also recommend using a cheap boom mic stand, if you don't already have one.

So, you could spend $100 on a new mic + a boom mic stand, or you could fiddle with the demo using an Omnimic first, then spring for the mic & stand if you see some promise.

As we've discussed before, though, you are kind of screwed when it comes to 3D audio, and that is no small deal for a long term solution. For experimenting with the free demo, though, not such a big deal. Eventually, I understand there will be more 3d audio options available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page