Official JTR speaker thread - Page 973 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #29161 of 29166 Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
As usual you make some very good points RC. I will look at the 2channel PC version of Dirac demo download for my HTPC. Will my USB Omnimic mic work with Dirac?
The trial version actually is the 8 channel version (typically configured for 7.1), although it also works fine for 2 channels. 8 channels is just the maximum that is allowed.

Yes, you can use the Omnimic, although my understanding is that the Omnimic only comes with a 0 degree calibration file.

For stereo, you can either point it between the LRs, or point it up, since Dirac won't let you aim it at individual speakers.
Pointing it between the LRs will show a slight treble rolloff.
Pointing it up gives you a consistent reading for all speakers (LCR & surround), but it will show even more treble rolloff.

That doesn't create a real problem. You just have to keep in mind that the treble rolloff you see is due to the correction file vs. measurement angle, and don't try to boost it back to flat. That would sound terrible. Instead, start by following the overall treble curve from the measurement (including rolloff). That will still fix phase, early reflections, and frequency response irregularities without altering the overall frequency response. From there, you can experiment with altering the target curve, and decide whether you like the changes.

It's a little easier to work with a 90 degree measurement file and a mic set to 90 degrees. In that case, what you see is what you get. I'd also recommend using a cheap boom mic stand, if you don't already have one.

So, you could spend $100 on a new mic + a boom mic stand, or you could fiddle with the demo using an Omnimic first, then spring for the mic & stand if you see some promise.

As we've discussed before, though, you are kind of screwed when it comes to 3D audio, and that is no small deal for a long term solution. For experimenting with the free demo, though, not such a big deal. Eventually, I understand there will be more 3d audio options available.
RMK! likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29162 of 29166 Old Today, 08:33 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
The trial version actually is the 8 channel version (typically configured for 7.1), although it also works fine for 2 channels. 8 channels is just the maximum that is allowed.

Yes, you can use the Omnimic, although my understanding is that the Omnimic only comes with a 0 degree calibration file.

For stereo, you can either point it between the LRs, or point it up, since Dirac won't let you aim it at individual speakers.
Pointing it between the LRs will show a slight treble rolloff.
Pointing it up gives you a consistent reading for all speakers (LCR & surround), but it will show even more treble rolloff.

That doesn't create a real problem. You just have to keep in mind that the treble rolloff you see is due to the correction file vs. measurement angle, and don't try to boost it back to flat. That would sound terrible. Instead, start by following the overall treble curve from the measurement (including rolloff). That will still fix phase, early reflections, and frequency response irregularities without altering the overall frequency response. From there, you can experiment with altering the target curve, and decide whether you like the changes.

It's a little easier to work with a 90 degree measurement file and a mic set to 90 degrees. In that case, what you see is what you get. I'd also recommend using a cheap boom mic stand, if you don't already have one.

So, you could spend $100 on a new mic + a boom mic stand, or you could fiddle with the demo using an Omnimic first, then spring for the mic & stand if you see some promise.

As we've discussed before, though, you are kind of screwed when it comes to 3D audio, and that is no small deal for a long term solution. For experimenting with the free demo, though, not such a big deal. Eventually, I understand there will be more 3d audio options available.
Thanks for the information. I have several mic stands and will work with the 0° Omnimic and concentrate on 2 channel only. My source is my HTPC and that is my primary source for music with my OPPO (103D) handling all of the bluray and streaming movie content so no way to have Dirac in that chain anyway.

I will be interesting to see how it does with music in 2 channel mode and will tackle this when I have the spare time (14 day window). I will also be keeping an eye out for a processor with 3D audio and Dirac. I have the Emo upgrade for life so if they can get it done, that seems like the most likely path to where I want to go. I find it ironic that it is the often controversial Emotiva that is touting the specific combo of technologies that many dedicated hobbyists want. The XMC-1 seems to be working as planned so there is hope but as they say, "hope springs eternal in the optimists heart" or is it "a fool and his money are soon parted".

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #29163 of 29166 Old Today, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Well, "need" a strong word, but speakers in this class are more about what's the ultimate setup, rather than what you can get by with.

It also depends on the upper frequency range of the subs, and where you plan to cross them over.
For lower crossovers (especially with 18+" subs), the 215RM is a better match.
For higher crossovers, the 212s give added efficiency.

For no subs, the 215RTs are the ultimate choice, but 210RTs or 215RMs could do the job, but not 212s.
What is the best sub to match with the 215rm for 90 plus%for ht?
Allen
post #29164 of 29166 Old Today, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post
What is the best sub to match with the 215rm for 90 plus%for ht?
Allen
That's a bit loaded. Do you have a budget in mind and what's your space like? Do you plan on using any dsp? Some feel it's easier to integrate sealed subs with sealed speakers. I'm using two S2s with my 215s. I'm like you, I'm 90% plus HT.

You'll get lots of advice here but it will help if you can expand on needs and desires.
post #29165 of 29166 Unread Today, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
That's a bit loaded. Do you have a budget in mind and what's your space like? Do you plan on using any dsp? Some feel it's easier to integrate sealed subs with sealed speakers. I'm using two S2s with my 215s. I'm like you, I'm 90% plus HT.

You'll get lots of advice here but it will help if you can expand on needs and desires.
I have a dedicated room that 15 x 24 and has a small room off to the side that is is 11 x 11 and a long hallway coming into the room. I use Audessy for the initial set up and I go back and check channel levels and distance myself. Most subs talked about in this thread are with in my budget. If it gets to the upper end of my budget I would by one now and one later. In fact I am going to replace my subs first probably the first of next year. I run seal speakers now so a sealed sub will work for me. I just didn't know if the s1 or 2 is better or os. Their are other great subs out their too I need to look at but I was thinking a full JTR system.
Allen

Last edited by DekPM19; Today at 10:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #29166 of 29166 Unread Today, 10:51 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post
I have a dedicated room that 15 x 24 and has a small room off to the side that is is 11 x 11 and a long hallway coming into the room. I use Audessy for the initial set up and I go back and check channel levels and distance myself. Most subs talked about in this thread are with in my budget. If it gets to the upper end of my budget I would by one now and one later. In fact I am going to replace my subs first probably the first of next year. I run seal speakers now so a sealed sub will work for me. I just didn't know if the s1 or 2 is better or os. Their are other great subs out their too I need to look at but I was thinking a full JTR system.
Allen
If I were getting a pair of subs to augment my 215RT's (I'm not ), they would be the Cap 1400's. The whole ported vs sealed thing is mostly nonsense because with bass (like real estate), the critical issue is location, location, location.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page