Official JTR speaker thread - Page 982 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #29431 of 29453 Old Today, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
That would be insane, but would the Pro's need a lot of power to really push them? Because they product all that SPL higher up in the frequency range would they be more efficient?
Probably not.. But, wouldn't you want to give the product at least close to the recommend RMS the manufacturer suggest? I mean, they must know something's up since they designed it. Like the LFU's or S2's. Don't think Jeff would put a 1400 ICE amps in those. Those 2 subs are hungry animals that will take all that juice. Then hit your breakers first before it evens goes in a protection mode..

Last edited by rhed; Today at 02:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29432 of 29453 Old Today, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Wow, that OS pro would be insane for music. No wonder Jeff said he uses the 215's and OS Pro's when listening to music. I don't have room for OS pro's now, but if and when 4K becomes the norm I could move my AT screen further from the front wall and plop a couple OS pro's down. Boom.
RMK!, rhed and asoofi1 like this.
post #29433 of 29453 Old Today, 08:39 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Are you sure? Remember in the late 90's when pro logic went to Dolby Digital 5.1? That was HUGE and by FAR the biggest difference I have heard in audio. Anyone could tell the difference, even the back then girl friends because it was so obvious. If you are saying that going to Atmos is an even bigger jump in audio... wow, just wow.
I'm sure that I feel that way ... . I had a Bose "system" in the mid 90's that was purchased based upon a well meaning friend telling me that Bose was the best. I have to admit that the Bose FFM (frequency filtration method) would produce pleasing results with poorly recorded music and it relied on the theory that you don't miss, what you can't hear . Sound actually came out of the surround speakers , and that was fun for me and others who were in the same or a lesser boat. I first made a jump into real 5.1 channel audio with a Denon AVR and Monitor Audio speakers in 2000. The Denon and whatever Dolby mode I was using at the time was good but then I found Logic7 with a Lexicon processor and that produced the best surround sound I had heard.

Of course most if not all of the single (base) layer surround formats sound good in my room. Adding 4 ceiling speakers and 3D audio processing/upmixing has given me the most immersive surround sound that I have heard and it easily bests commercial Atmos Theaters. Having 9' ceilings helps as you need some, but not too much space to make this audio magic work. Having all of your surrounds at approximately the same distance from the LP creates a sound bubble that is like headphones but without the claustrophobic effect they create. Obviously this is hard for me to put into words as I am rambling but I honestly feel that there is something there there with 3D audio. It's not just another audio gimmick to sell more hardware. IMHO

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #29434 of 29453 Old Today, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
I'm sure that I feel that way ... . I had a Bose "system" in the mid 90's that was purchased based upon a well meaning friend telling me that Bose was the best. I have to admit that the Bose FFM (frequency filtration method) would produce pleasing results with poorly recorded music and it relied on the theory that you don't miss, what you can't hear . Sound actually came out of the surround speakers , and that was fun for me and others who were in the same or a lesser boat. I first made a jump into real 5.1 channel audio with a Denon AVR and Monitor Audio speakers in 2000. The Denon and whatever Dolby mode I was using at the time was good but then I found Logic7 with a Lexicon processor and that produced the best surround sound I had heard.

Of course most if not all of the single (base) layer surround formats sound good in my room. Adding 4 ceiling speakers and 3D audio processing/upmixing has given me the most immersive surround sound that I have heard and it easily bests commercial Atmos Theaters. Having 9' ceilings helps as you need some, but not too much space to make this audio magic work. Having all of your surrounds at approximately the same distance from the LP creates a sound bubble that is like headphones but without the claustrophobic effect they create. Obviously this is hard for me to put into words as I am rambling but I honestly feel that there is something there there with 3D audio. It's not just another audio gimmick to sell more hardware. IMHO

Cool!! Haha, sounds like it's time to lower my floor somehow...

I think (hope?) that with very wide dispersion speakers (120 degrees) I'll still be ok with the lower ceilings?
post #29435 of 29453 Old Today, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
And I really don't know why I have one for the CC. I think the RM's will do fine sharing with the RT's. So I was thinking of getting a Inuke 3000dsp for my RM. Then use my 6000dsp that was for the RM's for the RT's. Then use my 12000dsp that was for the RT's for the Pro's. Especially since the Pro's does 2 ohm loads. The 12000dsp is capable of 2 ohms. So really I just need another 3000dsp for my CC.
But who's on first?? I had to read that twice

Practically speaking...ehem...I think my next step will be a 7702/or denon equivalent and an inuke for 4 or 6 overheads. I gotz too many speakerz me thinkz.
rhed likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #29436 of 29453 Old Today, 09:09 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Cool!! Haha, sounds like it's time to lower my floor somehow...

I think (hope?) that with very wide dispersion speakers (120 degrees) I'll still be ok with the lower ceilings?
Looking at your room pics again (BTW, is that a Jack Russell in the room pics?), your current surrounds are already very high on the walls. In order for 3D audio to work, you'll need to drop those down to seated ear level and then ceiling mount the heights. You could place them in the wall ceiling corners which would give you some extra LF gain and would place them a wide as possible. The Single 8LP's would be good for the surrounds and either Slanted 8's or the RA knock-offs should do the trick for the top/height speakers.

There you go ... $10K and you're home!

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #29437 of 29453 Old Today, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, is anybody here ?
post #29438 of 29453 Old Today, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
But who's on first?? I had to read that twice

Practically speaking...ehem...I think my next step will be a 7702/or denon equivalent and an inuke for 4 or 6 overheads. I gotz too many speakerz me thinkz.
Nice pre pro.. Good choice on the amp. Don't forget 2 more Inukes for the L/C/R..
post #29439 of 29453 Old Today, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nice pre pro.. Good choice on the amp. Don't forget 2 more Inukes for the L/C/R..
Ha...that's the beauty of the 212HTs...no need for amps....but always tempted if the numbers made sense for volume I listen at....of course, I do need to eq them, if anything.

gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #29440 of 29453 Old Today, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:

Speaking of Bose, I have a 2015 Tahoe and it has a Bose system and I have to admit it sounds great for stock. Good Highs and Good Lows cannot possibly be Blows. Kidding aside, it really sounds good.
rhed likes this.
post #29441 of 29453 Old Today, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ha...that's the beauty of the 212HTs...no need for amps....but always tempted if the numbers made sense for volume I listen at....of course, I do need to eq them, if anything.
Yea those 212's are one heck of a speaker. But wouldn't you need separate amps for them if you're gonna go with a 7702? I'd really want to upgrade my old Pio SC-09tx. But the thing just keeps going. Never had one problem with it. I'm just waiting on dtsX and Atmos to be implemented in one pre pro. Then I probably make the move then..
post #29442 of 29453 Old Today, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Speaking of Bose, I have a 2015 Tahoe and it has a Bose system and I have to admit it sounds great for stock. Good Highs and Good Lows cannot possibly be Blows. Kidding aside, it really sounds good.
Nice ride Reef.. I also have to admit, I have a 2008 gmc with a Bose system in it. Yes they sound really good. Probably cause it's in a smaller space? I also have a 15 yr old Bose Acoustic Wave (cd version). And absolutely love it for its size. I always get compliments from beach goers when I bring it to the beach and turn it up..
post #29443 of 29453 Old Today, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yea those 212's are one heck of a speaker. But wouldn't you need separate amps for them if you're gonna go with a 7702? I'd really want to upgrade my old Pio SC-09tx. But the thing just keeps going. Never had one problem with it. I'm just waiting on dtsX and Atmos to be implemented in one pre pro. Then I probably make the move then..
My bad...yes, ur right...my brain though 8802 pre pro and 7702 as avr...brain fart...I meant to sat 7009 or 7010 when all 3d codecs are hopefully included. I may go pre pro with amps to try something diff...but I can't justify the separates expense if I can help it. We hooked up a dsonic to the lcr at my gtg and we couldn't tell a diff.

post #29444 of 29453 Old Today, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
My bad...yes, ur right...my brain though 8802 pre pro and 7702 as avr...brain fart...I meant to sat 7009 or 7010 when all 3d codecs are hopefully included. I may go pre pro with amps to try something diff...but I can't justify the separates expense if I can help it. We hooked up a dsonic to the lcr at my gtg and we couldn't tell a diff.
Thats my plan as well. Unless someone comes out with something better in those price ranges.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #29445 of 29453 Old Today, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Speaking of Bose, I have a 2015 Tahoe and it has a Bose system and I have to admit it sounds great for stock.
Good Highs and Good Lows cannot possibly be Blows. Kidding aside, it really sounds good.
agree with you
post #29446 of 29453 Unread Today, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm cross posting from the very dead Chase thread...just in case...since most of you may have an answer...mods can delete if they wish.

My BIL's HT: put a Chase single 18 sub...model I think was s18 or 18s...whatever, don't remember...sorry...it's ported. It's been having some kind of weird issue for over a year now and I haven't had a chance to go take things apart since it sits snug behind a fixed screen. The bass is almost non existent and mostly anemic...most, if any, lows just come from the speakers it seems...the woofer is vibrating to a degree when you put your hand on it. I'm wondering if it is the Dayton Audio SA1000 amp. Also, during playback, there will be random bass spikes...the sub makes random punching sounds out of nowhere...a close way to describe it. I have run Audyssey and there is bass there, but just nasty wobble wobble distortion instead of tight bass line it should have. Suggestions?

Last edited by asoofi1; Today at 01:41 PM.
post #29447 of 29453 Unread Today, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I had the chance to try out the JBL 4722n's in my room for the past couple of weeks. These are the speakers Notnyt has, among quite a few other members, and I really liked them. I love being able to try out speakers in my own room, that way I'll know for sure how much I like them.

I posted some measurements and impressions in my room thread today:

Carp's Basement
post #29448 of 29453 Unread Today, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looking at your room pics again (BTW, is that a Jack Russell in the room pics?), your current surrounds are already very high on the walls. In order for 3D audio to work, you'll need to drop those down to seated ear level and then ceiling mount the heights. You could place them in the wall ceiling corners which would give you some extra LF gain and would place them a wide as possible. The Single 8LP's would be good for the surrounds and either Slanted 8's or the RA knock-offs should do the trick for the top/height speakers.

There you go ... $10K and you're home!
Yep, Jack Russell!! We used to have 2, now just the one. Love those dogs.

Yeah, I think I'd want to go ear level with my surrounds even if I never do go atmos. I think that's part of what sounds off about my surround sound.

I was hoping that I would like the JBL speakers more than my 215's so I could free up some funds to start going Atmos... didn't happen though. LOVE my 215's.
post #29449 of 29453 Unread Today, 03:45 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Yep, Jack Russell!! We used to have 2, now just the one. Love those dogs.

Yeah, I think I'd want to go ear level with my surrounds even if I never do go atmos. I think that's part of what sounds off about my surround sound.

I was hoping that I would like the JBL speakers more than my 215's so I could free up some funds to start going Atmos... didn't happen though. LOVE my 215's.
Yeah I've got 2 JRT's, a 7 year old that is the best dog I have ever had and a 2.5 Y/O that is a typical high energy, smart, funny JRT (eg a PITA ) but I love em both.

With your preference for music you shouldn't be in any hurry to get Atmos. It is really a format that is designed for movies although under the right circumstances can be cool with music. I still prefer 2 channel on the 215's when listening to music. Just wish I had the lateral space to spread mine out like you did. I'm sure they would sound even better with a little more distance between them in 2 channel mode.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #29450 of 29453 Unread Today, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I've got 2 JRT's, a 7 year old that is the best dog I have ever had and a 2.5 Y/O that is a typical high energy, smart, funny JRT (eg a PITA ) but I love em both.

With your preference for music you shouldn't be in any hurry to get Atmos. It is really a format that is designed for movies although under the right circumstances can be cool with music. I still prefer 2 channel on the 215's when listening to music. Just wish I had the lateral space to spread mine out like you did. I'm sure they would sound even better with a little more distance between them in 2 channel mode.
Too smart for their own good, right?

Yeah, I know I need to be patient but it's hard when I read Atmos reviews like yours!!
post #29451 of 29453 Unread Today, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1517 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Atmos is great. But I did notice one thing. You get used to it. And its luster isn't as great as time goes on. At first it's a huge wow. But after a while you barely notice.

Now that I have an enclosed small theater the differences are even smaller. But I'm glad to have had it. And will 100% be going back to should it be around in a couple years
post #29452 of 29453 Unread Today, 04:04 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Too smart for their own good, right?
They have me well under control. Here is Ajax at my wedding, Best Dog and Ring Bearer.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #29453 of 29453 Unread Today, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
They have me well under control. Here is Ajax at my wedding, Best Dog and Ring Bearer.

We found your soft spot
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page