Official JTR speaker thread - Page 983 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #29461 of 29472 Unread Yesterday, 08:20 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 669
^ It's based upon tractor beam technology but the details are classified ...

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29462 of 29472 Unread Yesterday, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What kind of new fangled Jetson technology is going on with that dog leash?
I bet its a musical device, looks to me like the JR is used as a tension device with a ribbon tweeter and a thick metal wire to reproduce lower frequencies.

Or maybe just a normal leash, with a flat material part to make sure the dog doesn't get hurt if he wraps himself with it.

Hes quite a cute puppy!
RMK! likes this.
post #29463 of 29472 Unread Yesterday, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Dirac was frustrating but it was my pc's fault. Every time I would shut down my system Dirac no longer worked and I had to re-install Dirac to get it to work again. I did play with it enough to know that it is the real deal and I know I will eventually get it.

I still prefer a slightly rising treble response above 8khz to 10 kHz so I doubt I'll ever like the default Dirac curve but that doesn't matter since you can set the curve however you like it.

I never found the perfect sound, and my current measurements with no eq look really good as is so I don't have as much to gain as far as freq response goes but the impulse response correction is really cool and I would buy Dirac just for that. Well.. that and the ability to play with whatever curve I want.
Yeah, that kind of mess is definitely the downside of PC stuff. That's weird about having to reinstall it, though. Maybe Dirac support would have an idea.
post #29464 of 29472 Unread Yesterday, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
It can because it is capable of more than just a simple phase switch where all FR are changing phase. The issue will be that the different boxes will be in phase for some fr and out of phase for others. Dirac can correct for phase by frequency. It will not be as easy as an auto correct but using REW to verify it will be possible to get it to align. Also they will not run the same range, the ULF's 20-50, the growlers 50-100 and the 212's 100 and up. These frequency ranges will be verified but that is my best guess after over 1000 or so measurements in my room at various mic placements.
The problem is that it doesn't have a way to properly correct the combined response for two channels.

If you use two sub channels with Dirac, it will measure them separately and correct them separately. The problem is that the combined response will be totally different than the individual response, so it is cutting and boosting the wrong frequencies.

If you link the two channels, it syncs their target curve, not the correction filter, and it still doesn't correct for the combined response.

With a single channel, if you have a separate way to time align your subs, it will do an excellent job of correcting the combined response, as long as you subs have consistent phase. If they have inconsistent phase (like you will get with mixing sealed and ported subs), they will cancel at some frequencies but not others. For partial cancellation, Dirac can boost the frequencies (at the expense of headroom), but for frequencies with strong cancellation, a single channel of Dirac can't help.

So, you would probably have to live with some cancellation. For ideal results, it's better to have subs with consistent phase. The sure way to do that is to make sure all your subs are the same model and have matching filter settings on their amp panels.
post #29465 of 29472 Unread Yesterday, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It can because it is capable of more than just a simple phase switch where all FR are changing phase. The issue will be that the different boxes will be in phase for some fr and out of phase for others. Dirac can correct for phase by frequency. It will not be as easy as an auto correct but using REW to verify it will be possible to get it to align. Also they will not run the same range, the ULF's 20-50, the growlers 50-100 and the 212's 100 and up. These frequency ranges will be verified but that is my best guess after over 1000 or so measurements in my room at various mic placements.
Wait...I just read your post more carefully. Like you said, since they are running in different frequencies, you are good!
post #29466 of 29472 Unread Yesterday, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Wait...I just read your post more carefully. Like you said, since they are running in different frequencies, you are good!
Yes this will make it easier b/c there will be less total overlap.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #29467 of 29472 Unread Yesterday, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
They have me well under control. Here is Ajax at my wedding, Best Dog and Ring Bearer.

Cute little fella. I bet he doesn't get away with anything. Just like mine don't.
post #29468 of 29472 Unread Yesterday, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
The problem is that it doesn't have a way to properly correct the combined response for two channels.

If you use two sub channels with Dirac, it will measure them separately and correct them separately. The problem is that the combined response will be totally different than the individual response, so it is cutting and boosting the wrong frequencies.

If you link the two channels, it syncs their target curve, not the correction filter, and it still doesn't correct for the combined response.

With a single channel, if you have a separate way to time align your subs, it will do an excellent job of correcting the combined response, as long as you subs have consistent phase. If they have inconsistent phase (like you will get with mixing sealed and ported subs), they will cancel at some frequencies but not others. For partial cancellation, Dirac can boost the frequencies (at the expense of headroom), but for frequencies with strong cancellation, a single channel of Dirac can't help.

So, you would probably have to live with some cancellation. For ideal results, it's better to have subs with consistent phase. The sure way to do that is to make sure all your subs are the same model and have matching filter settings on their amp panels.
the multiple sub correction issue that you point out was also evident to me after my first go at it with Dirac and confirmation with REW. In the end I ended up "tricking" Dirac to do the right thing by moving the rear sub for Dirac correction and then moving it back to its place for REW verification. I kept re-trying until essentially it got the alignment correct and I could see improvements with each trial when checked with REW. This took me about 4hrs of trial and error to get it right. I would have just aligned with the minidsp but I didn't have quite enough time delay to compensate for my nearest vs furthest sub. If I get the growlers I will probably go ahead and get the mini 10x10 which not only has more channels but also has twice the delay capacity (15ms). I may even run the growlers as part of the mains, essentiall making them LCR 40hz and up and just use the OS ULF's for the LFE channel. Won't know until I try it though.

All I have to say is thank you to the developers of REW!

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #29469 of 29472 Unread Yesterday, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 705
post #29470 of 29472 Unread Yesterday, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
the multiple sub correction issue that you point out was also evident to me after my first go at it with Dirac and confirmation with REW. In the end I ended up "tricking" Dirac to do the right thing by moving the rear sub for Dirac correction and then moving it back to its place for REW verification. I kept re-trying until essentially it got the alignment correct and I could see improvements with each trial when checked with REW. This took me about 4hrs of trial and error to get it right. I would have just aligned with the minidsp but I didn't have quite enough time delay to compensate for my nearest vs furthest sub. If I get the growlers I will probably go ahead and get the mini 10x10 which not only has more channels but also has twice the delay capacity (15ms). I may even run the growlers as part of the mains, essentiall making them LCR 40hz and up and just use the OS ULF's for the LFE channel. Won't know until I try it though.

All I have to say is thank you to the developers of REW!
Another way to get more delay might be to use the phase knob on the back of the sub. On some subs, the "phase" knob is actually a digital delay.
post #29471 of 29472 Unread Yesterday, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Another way to get more delay might be to use the phase knob on the back of the sub. On some subs, the "phase" knob is actually a digital delay.
There is no phase knob on the back of a JTR sub. Only a gain..
post #29472 of 29472 Unread Today, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i've been searching the internet far and wide for some slanted/single 8's. if anyone knows someone looking to sell, please give me a shout!
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page