Official JTR speaker thread - Page 987 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #29581 of 29602 Unread Yesterday, 01:00 PM
Member
 
Landmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question

Photos of JTRs?

Hey guys. Without searching though ~980 pages, I'm trying to find some pictures of how JTR speakers look in real living rooms (not dedicated theaters). Does anyone have photos they can share of JTRs in actual "living spaces"?

I don't have a dedicated media room, nor will I for several years at least. If I buy some JTR speakers, they would have to go into my a family living room, or formal living room. I just want to see some people with photos of JTRs being used this way. Can they look presentable around other nice furniture?

I'm very intrigued at all the rave reviews of how JTR speakers sound... however their finish and appearance seems less than desirable. I showed my wife some of the stock photos from the JTR website, and she thinks they "ugly and cheap looking". Obviously, they aren't cheap or low-quality, but their y ought to look a little better.

1) Does anyone have JTR pictures to share in formal living room environments?
2) Can JTRs look presentable around other nice furniture? any tips on this?
3) Rebuilding my HT from scratch.... what would be a good staring point with JTRs? (I have no speakers or amps at the moment)


Finally.... I live near Fort Worth, TX. Does anyone live in the area willing to demonstrate some JTRs?
Landmonster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #29582 of 29602 Unread Yesterday, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HTPCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 1,304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
Photos of JTRs?

Hey guys. Without searching though ~980 pages, I'm trying to find some pictures of how JTR speakers look in real living rooms (not dedicated theaters). Does anyone have photos they can share of JTRs in actual "living spaces"?

I don't have a dedicated media room, nor will I for several years at least. If I buy some JTR speakers, they would have to go into my a family living room, or formal living room. I just want to see some people with photos of JTRs being used this way. Can they look presentable around other nice furniture?

I'm very intrigued at all the rave reviews of how JTR speakers sound... however their finish and appearance seems less than desirable. I showed my wife some of the stock photos from the JTR website, and she thinks they "ugly and cheap looking". Obviously, they aren't cheap or low-quality, but their y ought to look a little better.

1) Does anyone have JTR pictures to share in formal living room environments?
2) Can JTRs look presentable around other nice furniture? any tips on this?
3) Rebuilding my HT from scratch.... what would be a good staring point with JTRs? (I have no speakers or amps at the moment)


Finally.... I live near Fort Worth, TX. Does anyone live in the area willing to demonstrate some JTRs?
Jeff will do custom paint or wood finishes if you are willing to pay for it.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

HTPCat is offline  
post #29583 of 29602 Unread Yesterday, 01:06 PM
Member
 
Landmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
Jeff will do custom paint or wood finishes if you are willing to pay for it.
That's good. I'd like to see how the regular JTRs look as-is, around other nice furniture. I'd be interested to see how a custom-finished JTR speaker looks too, if anyone has photos of such a speaker setup.
Landmonster is offline  
post #29584 of 29602 Unread Yesterday, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
That's good. I'd like to see how the regular JTRs look as-is, around other nice furniture. I'd be interested to see how a custom-finished JTR speaker looks too, if anyone has photos of such a speaker setup.
Custom Quintuples





http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.co...eakers-5012941

http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.co...35&postcount=9


There are a few more hidden throughout the JTR forum

Chris


For Sale: LCR X 3 2012 JTR Triple 12 Excellent condition
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iple-12-a.html

Last edited by countryWV; Yesterday at 01:27 PM.
countryWV is online now  
post #29585 of 29602 Unread Yesterday, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
That's good. I'd like to see how the regular JTRs look as-is, around other nice furniture. I'd be interested to see how a custom-finished JTR speaker looks too, if anyone has photos of such a speaker setup.
Yeah, I don't thinks JTR's in the standard finish will pass any WAF. As mentioned you can chose from various finishes and (I think) if you send Jeff a sample he can match your speakers to it...for a price increase of course.


But cheap looking....not on any level.

Nabs17
Nabs17 is online now  
post #29586 of 29602 Unread Yesterday, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
PeterK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The very wet, humid, muggy South !!
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 54
In my living room I went with the 228s in black oak veneer and it is virtually identical to the Seaton black oak finish on my Submersives used as stands. Think it cost me an extra $200 each at the time. Looks just like any other black oak finish you see in a store like Klipsch. No pictures with me to post.

For my surrounds I had Jeff change the Slant 8s to a smooth matte black. Since the slants mount very close to the ceiling, they look very nice in my opinion and the wife did not complain at all. Easy to clean any dust off of.

I have not seen the default finish Jeff uses but the very few pictures I saw did not seem like something I would want in a multipurpose room.
Jeff can get virtually any veneer and color you want for a price. Very reasonable price I say.

The grills are attached magnetically so they align themselves on all the speakers. Easily removable and look very nice. No complaints.
Pete
PeterK is online now  
post #29587 of 29602 Unread Yesterday, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HTPCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 1,304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
That's good. I'd like to see how the regular JTRs look as-is, around other nice furniture. I'd be interested to see how a custom-finished JTR speaker looks too, if anyone has photos of such a speaker setup.
I think the standard finish looks great, although my 212s lcr are currently behind a AT screen in my family room. I do have slant 8s for surrounds on stands in the room and they look big and mean.
RMK! and countryWV like this.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

HTPCat is offline  
post #29588 of 29602 Unread Yesterday, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 2,273
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Here are some more JTR Speakers with veneer:









RMK! likes this.
desertdome is online now  
post #29589 of 29602 Unread Yesterday, 03:32 PM
Member
 
Landmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
In my living room I went with the 228s in black oak veneer and it is virtually identical to the Seaton black oak finish on my Submersives used as stands. Think it cost me an extra $200 each at the time. Looks just like any other black oak finish you see in a store like Klipsch. No pictures with me to post.

For my surrounds I had Jeff change the Slant 8s to a smooth matte black. Since the slants mount very close to the ceiling, they look very nice in my opinion and the wife did not complain at all. Easy to clean any dust off of.

I have not seen the default finish Jeff uses but the very few pictures I saw did not seem like something I would want in a multipurpose room.
Jeff can get virtually any veneer and color you want for a price. Very reasonable price I say.

The grills are attached magnetically so they align themselves on all the speakers. Easily removable and look very nice. No complaints.
Pete

Okay. I'd probably like a black oak veneer, with the magnetic grills. That should be acceptable.

What models would I start with? L/C/R + sub(s) + amp?
Landmonster is offline  
post #29590 of 29602 Unread Yesterday, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Wow that slanted 8 looks great in that finish.

Nabs17
Nabs17 is online now  
post #29591 of 29602 Unread Yesterday, 07:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Peterc613's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Van Nuys, CA
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 136
The Stereophile report on T.H.E. Show Newport covered the Deep Sea Sound Mariana 24SR but got the JTR 212 Noesis HT speakers wrong as DIY and not commercially available:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/t...s-day-2-report



"The $4000 (factory direct only) Mariana 24SR subwoofer from newcomer Deep Sea Sound is said to dive as deep as 10Hz—thus the Mariana designation. It employs a 24" (!) driver, is driven by an internal 4000W plate amp, weighs in at 200 lbs, and measures 28" x 37.7" x 21.3". Can you say, "Not in my living room, you don't?" The standard version is a prosaic box; the version shown here is dressed up to look like a (very) large end table for at least a small improvement in the WAF. Designer and company chief David Gage is shown here for a size comparison. The left and right speakers shown are also David's own design. They are not commercially available, but he plans on offering high-end speakers in the future using compression drivers (horns) for the midrange and top end."

Peterc613 is offline  
post #29592 of 29602 Unread Yesterday, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,224
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 198
^not only wrong as DIY and not available but wrong as his own design too.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
lbrown105 is online now  
post #29593 of 29602 Unread Yesterday, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,277
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
^not only wrong as DIY and not available but wrong as his own design too.

I don't know how that reported so grossly got the information wrong as I heard dgage say it over and over again to everyone that asked, how they aren't his design.
DotJun is online now  
post #29594 of 29602 Unread Today, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
^not only wrong as DIY and not available but wrong as his own design too.
Dgage may not have designed the 212-LP but he fired the first shot in its death. Dgage the LP Slayer. J/K David

Chris


For Sale: LCR X 3 2012 JTR Triple 12 Excellent condition
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iple-12-a.html
countryWV is online now  
post #29595 of 29602 Unread Today, 08:25 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
I don't know how that reported so grossly got the information wrong as I heard dgage say it over and over again to everyone that asked, how they aren't his design.
You're kidding right? it's Stereophile ...

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is online now  
post #29596 of 29602 Unread Today, 09:57 AM
Senior Member
 
staaled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
I still have a feeling that Jeff is going to come out with a new Atmos speakers that will be even smaller than the S8-lp....not sure when but I think he will.
I would also like to see Jeff do Atmos (ceiling)specific speakers.
Having a smaller design keep up with al other JTRs might be a problem.
staaled is online now  
post #29597 of 29602 Unread Today, 10:21 AM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,433
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
Dgage may not have designed the 212-LP but he fired the first shot in its death. Dgage the LP Slayer. J/K David
I agree that's probably true and I'm definitely not proud of that. But to this day I'm not completely satisfied with them either. Jeff offered to exchange them but it would have cost way too much to do the exchange so I passed.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is online now  
post #29598 of 29602 Unread Today, 10:23 AM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,433
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
I don't know how that reported so grossly got the information wrong as I heard dgage say it over and over again to everyone that asked, how they aren't his design.
I'm glad there was someone independent there that heard me as I was worried people might actually believe I tried taking credit for Jeff's hard work.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is online now  
post #29599 of 29602 Unread Today, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,938
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I'm glad there was someone independent there that heard me as I was worried people might actually believe I tried taking credit for Jeff's hard work.
Perhaps hanging a sign on them identifying them clearly as JTR 212HT-LP's would clear up the confusion.
Gooddoc is online now  
post #29600 of 29602 Unread Today, 10:30 AM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,433
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 557
I came back into the JTR thread as I wanted to say that I exhibited at THE Show Newport and obviously used the JTR 212HT-LPs. I didn't get to listen to many speakers but I did break away to listen to a few. Some of them sounded very airy, spacious, and detailed but when pushed at all, if I could get them pushed, they started to sound fatiguing pretty quickly. The compression driver and crossover work Jeff did is great as I haven't found another midrange and top-end that I like as much as the JTR 212s. And lest you think that I like the top end only because they play loudly and cleanly, I didn't feel I was giving up anything to any other speakers in terms of detail or spaciousness. I was running a phantom center and yet the pair of 212s filled the room with sound, even had one guy ask me what I was using for surrounds.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is online now  
post #29601 of 29602 Unread Today, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,224
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
Dgage may not have designed the 212-LP but he fired the first shot in its death. Dgage the LP Slayer. J/K David
very admirable accomplishment I am more impressed with his new sub than the demise of a great speaker design.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
lbrown105 is online now  
post #29602 of 29602 Unread Today, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
very admirable accomplishment I am more impressed with his new sub than the demise of a great speaker design.
I would guess with the intro of the 210RM there is not much reason for Jeff to keep it on the website.

Chris


For Sale: LCR X 3 2012 JTR Triple 12 Excellent condition
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iple-12-a.html
countryWV is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off