AVS Forum banner

Official JTR speaker thread

3M views 44K replies 1K participants last post by  rcohen 
#1 ·

As more and more ppl buying these speakers, i thought that there should be a centralized thread to post pics, comments, setup.

Reactions: ronnlim and rizki96
#21,801 ·
Red congrats on Gettng the speakers in house. I know you have waited a while. I am sure it will be worth the wait and can't wit to hear your impressions. By the time you come out for Axpona I will have the set up I want you to come check out. Glad you weathered the storm bro. Now turn it up.
Ib, I can't hardly wait to hear your system. Especially the 3 OS and the 212's with the LG power plant.. One word! Nice! Btw,hit me up when you and the family are here in Hawaii on vacation too. But don't plan on coming between August and November. That's our hurricane seasons.. Lol

#21,802 ·
Thanks RMK.. I'm really looking forward to hooking up and listening to these speakers. The fun part is done atleast (carrying them up). I probably hook them up straight from the receiver for now till my amps arrive. I'll start hanging the slants too. And as soon as I get them dialed in with the S2's. I'll open my house to people who wants a demo of a Full JTR setup on this island. I might be the only JTR owner in Hawaii. I have a few peeps can't wait to hear them. That's heavily in pro audio. And some heavily into HT. After the setup, I just need my grilles.. Lol.. Jeff still owe me grilles for my speakers..
I'm due grills too but will never use them even if they were out from behind the screen. These speakers just look right sans grills. :)

#21,804 ·
Thanks RMK.. I'm really looking forward to hooking up and listening to these speakers. The fun part is done atleast (carrying them up). I probably hook them up straight from the receiver for now till my amps arrive. I'll start hanging the slants too. And as soon as I get them dialed in with the S2's. I'll open my house to people who wants a demo of a Full JTR setup on this island. I might be the only JTR owner in Hawaii. I have a few peeps can't wait to hear them. That's heavily in pro audio. And some heavily into HT. After the setup, I just need my grilles.. Lol.. Jeff still owe me grilles for my speakers..
I would like a demo on the Island :) I will be there in 36 hours, but I need to stay for 2 weeks :D

#21,806 ·
Ib, I can't hardly wait to hear your system. Especially the 3 OS and the 212's with the LG power plant.. One word! Nice! Btw,hit me up when you and the family are here in Hawaii on vacation too. But don't plan on coming between August and November. That's our hurricane seasons.. Lol
.I'll take you up on that when I get the family out to Hawaii. Surfing all day and JTR's at night, now that's a perfect vacation/ :)

#21,807 ·
Hope you weathered the storm OK and thanks for the arrival photos. Looking forward to more pics and your impressions. :cool:

I am more impressed with the 215's with each listen. Last night it was an hour of Hi Rez music and then the Noah film streamed via Vudu. I simply could not be happier with the sound of these amazing speakers. They are dialed in and the bass perfectly integrated. The sound stage is huge with incredible detail. Noah takes advantage of the surrounds and effects are perfect (you are going to love the S8's). The only thing on my agenda as far as upgrades is maybe some in-ceiling speakers and a new processor for Atmos. I know Jeff is working on some in-wall/in-ceiling speakers and that will be the way I go, if I go ... :)

I can't imagine the system sounding better and my recent visit to an Atmos Theater was further confirmation of that.
Interesting, I had no idea Jeff was working on some in ceiling speakers. I am curious about Atmos as I have never heard it in the theater. I will say my previous set-up had Audessey DSX wides and while some people seem to love it, I was indifferent to it. I tried turnign it off and on and sometimes it sounded better and sometimes it didn't..seemed very movie specific. Like you, if I went with Atmos and ceiling speakers, I would likely stick with JTR since the rest of my 9 speakers are JTR :)

#21,808 ·
Lol.. Btw, these just arrived yesterday. Right before our Hurricane passing. Perfect timing.
Congrats on the awesome set-up. I remember you coming on the boards last year and asking questions about JTR and now you are all in with a killer set-up. Make sure to post some updated pictures once you get a chance.

BTW, as others have said, glad the storm didn't hit you hard and that you and your family are safe. Saw some clips on the TV and it looked scary.

#21,809 ·
Interesting, I had no idea Jeff was working on some in ceiling speakers. I am curious about Atmos as I have never heard it in the theater. I will say my previous set-up had Audessey DSX wides and while some people seem to love it, I was indifferent to it. I tried turnign it off and on and sometimes it sounded better and sometimes it didn't..seemed very movie specific. Like you, if I went with Atmos and ceiling speakers, I would likely stick with JTR since the rest of my 9 speakers are JTR :)
Ironically, I sold my Slanted 8 height speakers because I didn't think they added much using DSX. Wides were supposed to provide more impact vs Height speakers via DSX.

There is quite a bit of hyping of the Atmos format. When I saw Guardians of the Galaxy in Atmos, the Dolby demos were fun but the actual movie effects were (IMHO) unremarkable. Still, 4 ceiling speakers might make surround sound even better. :)

#21,810 ·
Ironically, I sold my Slanted 8 height speakers because I didn't think they added much using DSX. Wides were supposed to provide more impact vs Height speakers via DSX.

There is quite a bit of hyping of the Atmos format. When I saw Guardians of the Galaxy in Atmos, the Dolby demos were fun but the actual movie effects were (IMHO) unremarkable. Still, 4 ceiling speakers might make surround sound even better. :)
When I was building my room, I decided to put my low voltage boxes that hold my speaker wires on the ceiling so I could convert them from sides and rears to in ceiling speakers when and if the time comes for Atmos.

Attachments

#21,811 ·
Thanks Frolich.. Um, I don't know if running into this thread was a good thing. If I haven't, I'd probably saved me a whole bunch money...lol! You guys on this thread are just bad people! " oh, nice system rhed!" Under your breath.. " go and spend more!" Jeff ..." He,he, now I got all these guys on the forum on the 215 zone.. I think it's time to introduce the 218's! Hahaha!" We'll atleast that's what I think that's what's going on with this thread..lol.. No regrets though!!

Congrats on the awesome set-up. I remember you coming on the boards last year and asking questions about JTR and now you are all in with a killer set-up. Make sure to post some updated pictures once you get a chance.

BTW, as others have said, glad the storm didn't hit you hard and that you and your family are safe. Saw some clips on the TV and it looked scary.

#21,812 · (Edited)
Yesterday two of my friends came over unannounced on their sports bikes. One hadn't seen my theater before, Kevin. The other friend, Nelson, had seen my theater at the other house. It was Nelson's idea to drop by because they were in the area. Kevin, was gawking at my eight sealed cabs lining the front (with no drivers yet). The other guy who has seen my theater before has a couple LMS-5400 in a sealed enclosure and said I was going to need that many sealed Ultimax to keep up with his pair of LMS with a coy smile.

Kevin wanted to know what all the fuss was about my theater. I asked him what he wanted to see and he said whatever. I threw in This is It, and played a couple tracks at reference, and then the Scuba Steve demo disc. Kevin was grinning ear to ear the whole time. He asked me to cue up some Bob Marley and started dancing in his seat. After the demo he said how could you possibly need more bass than those two subs? He said that sounds incredible Jonathan. He also was blown away by the air movement of the Captivator ports - giggling out loud during the Iron Man Jericho missile scene. He exclaimed he couldn't believe how much air those drivers and ports moved in the room! he felt like he was part of the explosions!. He said I need to talk to your boss because obviously he's paying you too much money. I laughed and said he probably spent more on his crotch rocket outside than I spent on my front JTR 228HT soundstage and pair of passive JTR subwoofers. He kind of frowned and said I bet that's right.

Nelson, the friend who is familiar with my equipment has Wharfedale Diamonds and a pair of LMS-5400 in a small theater room. After the demo he said how does yours sound soooo good? How do you have that much bass? Then he said, and I quote -- "All I need to figure out is how to make my setup sound like that!"

Jeff P. - Thanks for making such a superb product!

#21,813 ·
Yesterday two of my friends came over unannounced on their sports bikes. One hadn't seen my theater before, Kevin. The other friend, Nelson, had seen my theater at the other house. It was Nelson's idea to drop by because they were in the area. Kevin, was gawking at my eight sealed cabs lining the front (with no drivers yet). The other guy who has seen my theater before has a couple LMS-5400 in a sealed enclosure and said I was going to need that many sealed Ultimax to keep up with his pair of LMS with a coy smile.

Kevin wanted to know what all the fuss was about my theater. I asked him what he wanted to see and he said whatever. I threw in This is It, and played a couple tracks at reference, and then the Scuba Steve demo disc. Kevin was grinning ear to ear the whole time. He asked me to cue up some Bob Marley and started dancing in his seat. After the demo he said how could you possibly need more bass than those two subs? He said that sounds incredible Jonathan. He also was blown away by the air movement of the Captivator ports - giggling out loud during the Iron Man Jericho missile scene. He exclaimed he couldn't believe how much air those drivers and ports moved in the room! he felt like he was part of the explosions!. He said I need to talk to your boss because obviously he's paying you too much money. I laughed and said he probably spent more on his crotch rocket outside than I spent on my front JTR 228HT soundstage and pair of passive JTR subwoofers. He kind of frowned and said I bet that's right.

Nelson, the friend who is familiar with my equipment has Wharfedale Diamonds and a pair of LMS-5400 in a small theater rom. After the demo he said how does yours sound soooo good? How do you have that much bass? Then he said, and I quote -- "All I need to figure out is how to make my setup sound like that!"

Jeff P. - Thanks for making such a superb product!

Sweeet. Confirmation like that makes this stuff so rewarding. I don't build or upgrade for my guests approval, but on the other hand it is very gratifying to get confirmation that it kicks ass. :)

#21,814 ·

How about using 215RM (or a single 15 if Jeff gonna design it) as Atmos ceiling speaker? I'm sure we need the thunder to sound from the sky, not from a subwoofer placed on the floor.

#21,815 ·
Sweeet. Confirmation like that makes this stuff so rewarding. I don't build or upgrade for my guests approval, but on the other hand it is very gratifying to get confirmation that it kicks ass. :)
Dammit. That's why I can't find a speaker I like. I've been going about it all wrong...focusing on guests that think Bose are good. :p

But glad you had a good time and have such a nice system you can enjoy all the time. I really do want to hear some Captivators one day as I've been so focused on sealed. :) Nick should be sending me a HS24 in a week or two so 4000w on that and 12000w on 3 LMS-5400s in a 14x17open living room may not move a lot of air but I think I'll be able to hit 7-8 Hz way above reference...not that I plan to do that...often. :)

#21,816 ·
Coach said something similar when he went to see the latest Transformers on Atmos. Say what you will about these summer blockbusters but they are exactly what I'd expect to leverage Atmos the most. If these summer blockbusters aren't pushing Atmos potential, what movies will?