AVS Forum banner

Official JTR speaker thread

3M views 44K replies 1K participants last post by  rcohen 
#1 ·

As more and more ppl buying these speakers, i thought that there should be a centralized thread to post pics, comments, setup.

Reactions: ronnlim and rizki96
#22,401 ·
Oh ya? what are your thoughs on the ported boxes so far, drivers, amps? I'm always interested!
2X SI HST 18", I would imagine a Peavey IPR 7500. I am going to work with Andrew and see what he comes up with.

#22,402 ·
So here's what I learned in the last year related to subwoofers.

1. I want something like the Seaton Submersive because that seems to be a well regarded subwoofer.
2. Oh, I need multiple subs to even out frequency response at multiple positions?
3. The commercial subs cost how much?
4. I bought the LMS-5400 uber subs and heard a few SI18s for 1/3 the cost (2 SI18s to 1 LMS-5400) and I can't tell a sound quality difference. Are you *#&*#)@& kidding me?
5. Good subs should sound similar when EQd similarly...output level at certain frequencies is usually the differentiator, which is why many have so many multiples.
6. As DoubleWing mentioned, you want to spread out your subs around the room as a start for measuring. Middle of each wall in a room might be a good start and then move subs to determine where they fit best in YOUR room.
7. Usually paying more for amps will get you better quality...be careful, many pro amps are LOUD. May or may not affect your situation.
8. I LEARNED A TON ABOUT AUDIO AND ACOUSTICS DOING DIY SUBS AND STILL HAVE A TON MORE TO LEARN.

David
I'd have to completely disagree with #4 . There's a couple of local members that have a few of the SI & the Dayton 18in subs in dual opposed cabinets. We all agree that the LMS drivers just sound "cleaner".

Is it the room?? The setup?? Who knows?? So take it for what it's worth. lol

#22,403 ·
I'd have to completely disagree with #4 . There's a couple of local members that have a few of the SI & the Dayton 18in subs in dual opposed cabinets. We all agree that the LMS drivers just sound "cleaner".

Is it the room?? The setup?? Who knows?? So take it for what it's worth. lol
Were they both being pushed or were they loafing? How many of each were compared? I have to say that I haven't A/B'd any subs directly against the LMS-5400s besides the HS-24 and those were very similar with the exception of the HS-24 digging deeper. I'm about to compare a pair of LMS-5400s against a pair of SI HST-18s in a no-holds barred, knock-down, drag-out fight....if my wife let's me turn the volume up that loud. :) And by about to...I mean in the next few weeks. :)

#22,404 ·
Were they both being pushed or were they loafing? How many of each were compared? I have to say that I haven't A/B'd any subs directly against the LMS-5400s besides the HS-24 and those were very similar with the exception of the HS-24 digging deeper. I'm about to compare a pair of LMS-5400s against a pair of SI HST-18s in a no-holds barred, knock-down, drag-out fight....if my wife let's me turn the volume up that loud. :) And by about to...I mean in the next few weeks. :)
In all cases they weren't being pushed to their limit. I wouldn't say they were loafing along, but definitely not near redline.

The setups that were compared were my 4 LMS's, NB67's 2 dual opposed Dayton's AND dual SubM HP's, and mjaudio's setup which has like 22 subwoofers. He has/had a mixture of 10's, 12's, some Dayton's, some SI's, and a Mal 21, off the top of my head I think that's it. lol

#22,407 ·
An observation here about the recent discussion of room sizes and reference and different MV listening levels for movies. I recently stated we averaged probably -17 on movies. Thats with creeping to -19 or -20 at times it was extremely loud on some movies if needed. I bought a Ben Q 1070 projector to "get aquatinted" and try out DLP technology. Future PJ is undecided. Certainly lots of fun and a huge viewing size is much better. We have a screen coming on Wednesday, sorry guys I did not opt for AT. I know I know, probably regret it...But my center CD sits collarbone height right now as I type. I could have got the AT from same company for a tiny bit more but wasn't sure about the weave. Could of done Falcon material but honestly I buckled to the ease of already done. I plan on attaching a couple pieces of 1x3's (guess at this point) or something vertically. Then attaching the brackets that are made to bolt to the TV to the wood and hanging the screen on the neck/TV mount bracket system of the stand. So instead of picking up the tv and hanging on the mount it will be a 100 inch screen :) Sitting distance is 9ft :) Anyways we have watched 4-5 movies and the least loudest has been -14 and up to -8 on the MV. My only guess here is that the glass surface of my Panasonic plasma was causing reflections. Just a white sheet hanging now from the ceiling in front of the TV. Not much absorption but it's my only logical guess. Anyway...the last few posts have me wondering about selling dual 2400 Submersives about a yr old pair and going for the JBrown ported special!!! and then some!

#22,408 ·
Quote:Originally Posted by mankite

Any updates on your comparisions between the triple 12LF'S and the new triple 8's RMK???

I ran out of gas this weekend and concentrated on getting them setup as surrounds and did not do a comparison. I can say that the 8's sound fantastic with MC music and I think they would do a great job as LCR speakers in just about any space. The 12LF's have an extension and SPL advantage but with good subs and in most rooms, I'm thinking they would be comparable. More great speakers from JTR.

I have the 8's on top of my GIK Pillar Traps but this is a temp setup as I will be wall mounting them.

Yep I can agree :) Maybe not the dream speaker and doesn't have the Noesis addictiveness but a solid solid speaker with zero distortion and phenomenal dynamic capability.

#22,410 ·
In all cases they weren't being pushed to their limit. I wouldn't say they were loafing along, but definitely not near redline.

The setups that were compared were my 4 LMS's, NB67's 2 dual opposed Dayton's AND dual SubM HP's, and mjaudio's setup which has like 22 subwoofers. He has/had a mixture of 10's, 12's, some Dayton's, some SI's, and a Mal 21, off the top of my head I think that's it. lol
The problem is the magnetic distortion field from all those subwoofers. The sub with the biggest magnet sounds best and all of the others distort due to the big boy magnets being too close. This magnetic distortion field is closely related to the gravity distortion field...you can learn more about it on Wikipedia. :)

#22,411 ·
Would someone list like the top sub drivers available for DIY. Unanimous number one would be LMS 5400 yes? 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th...
I'd say the SI HS24 is hands down the biggest, baddest, best sounding sub I've heard. When we were at Beast's GTG, it bested a pair of my LMS 5400s and we couldn't tell a difference A/Bing them (level matched) until the audio went below 10Hz, which is when the LMS-5400s ran out of gas. Now that was when I only had 2400w on each of my LMS-5400s. I have 4000w now so a pair of LMS-5400s would be a closer fight to the HS24 but I'd probably still give the nod to the HS24, if only below 15Hz. Even better, the HS24 is only $80 more than the LMS-5400 shipped ($999+$5shipping). So if you've got the room, I'd get a pair of HS24s and call the sub system done. Maybe an extra 18 in the back to even out bass response.

Now I haven't listened to the UXL-18 enough to have an opinion on it yet. I'll probably get the pair back from my dad, which would allow me to put the LMS-5400 against the UXL-18 and SI HST-18, which would be a heck of a shootout. All I'd be missing is the new Dayton Ultimax from the big boy DIY 18s. Hmmm....

The FTW-21 should also be thrown in but I haven't heard it so I don't know much about it.

So here's a top 5(or so) in terms of output of the most popular DIY drivers that I've seen.
1. SI HS24
2. FTW-21
3. SI HST-18
3. LMS-5400
3. UXL-18
3/6? Dayton Ultimax 18
7. SI18 in multiples

#22,412 ·
The problem is the magnetic distortion field from all those subwoofers. The sub with the biggest magnet sounds best and all of the others distort due to the big boy magnets being too close. This magnetic distortion field is closely related to the gravity distortion field...you can learn more about it on Wikipedia. :)
Ok well that pretty much explains everything. lol :D

#22,413 ·
I'd say the SI HS24 is hands down the biggest, baddest, best sounding sub I've heard. When we were at Beast's GTG, it bested a pair of my LMS 5400s and we couldn't tell a difference A/Bing them (level matched) until the audio went below 10Hz, which is when the LMS-5400s ran out of gas. Now that was when I only had 2400w on each of my LMS-5400s. I have 4000w now so a pair of LMS-5400s would be a closer fight to the HS24 but I'd probably still give the nod to the HS24, if only below 15Hz. Even better, the HS24 is only $80 more than the LMS-5400 shipped ($999+$5shipping). So if you've got the room, I'd get a pair of HS24s and call the sub system done. Maybe an extra 18 in the back to even out bass response.

Now I haven't listened to the UXL-18 enough to have an opinion on it yet. I'll probably get the pair back from my dad, which would allow me to put the LMS-5400 against the UXL-18 and SI HST-18, which would be a heck of a shootout. All I'd be missing is the new Dayton Ultimax from the big boy DIY 18s. Hmmm....

The FTW-21 should also be thrown in but I haven't heard it so I don't know much about it.

So here's a top 5(or so) in terms of output of the most popular DIY drivers that I've seen.
1. SI HS24
2. FTW-21
3. SI HST-18
3. LMS-5400
3. UXL-18
3/6? Dayton Ultimax 18
7. SI18 in multiples
Is the XXX still available??? If it is lets throw that bad boy in there are well. :)

#22,414 ·
Is the XXX still available??? If it is lets throw that bad boy in there are well. :)
I guess the XXX is back and available but I haven't heard if its the same beast it once was or if it has changed. Regarding throwing that bad boy in, the only thing getting thrown would be my back if we're talking the XXX. :D I guess the XXX must be considered but it requires such a big box for ported or infinite baffle that I've never really given it much thought. But it likely works for someone. :)

#22,415 ·
I guess the XXX is back and available but I haven't heard if its the same beast it once was or if it has changed. Regarding throwing that bad boy in, the only thing getting thrown would be my back if we're talking the XXX. :D I guess the XXX must be considered but it requires such a big box for ported or infinite baffle that I've never really given it much thought. But it likely works for someone. :)
Haha! Did you just mention XXX's and big boxes in the same post?? :D

What size box does the SI 24 need again?? :kiss:

#22,416 · (Edited)

1. SI HS24
2. FTW-21
3. SI HST-18
3. LMS-5400
3. UXL-18
3/6? Dayton Ultimax 18
7. SI18 in multiples
Ok, also I have a "flare" for cost effectiveness. Don't get me wrong. A pair of 24's would be sweet! But they need HUGE 10-15ft sealed boxes. Can be done but...I like the performance I get with the dual Submersives for their size. But it would be cool to look at 24's!!! I really like JBrowns build. Thinking a ported setup perhaps...Was Dayton releasing the new 18?

#22,419 ·
Would someone list like the top sub drivers available for DIY. Unanimous number one would be LMS 5400 yes? 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th...

Okay, so since you're talking about ported there's probably no point in considering the SI 24 or even the FTW-21 because both of those drivers require pretty large cabinets. So if we're talking strictly 18's I would rank them like this.

1. LMS-U 5400 ...$925ea.
2. Funk Audio TSAD18v1 driver ...$850ea
3. iST UXL-18 ...$550.00ea
4. SI HST-18, I would probably rate this driver above the UXL-18 but there isn't much feed back on it and pricing hasn't been released. So for now until its a little more proven I'd still rate the UXL-18 higher.
5. Daytona UM18-22 ...$279ea, again this one hasn't been out very long but I already know that Mark Seaton has vouched for it so it's safe to say it must be decent.
6. SI HT18 ...$179ea
7. iST IXL-18 ...$350ea, I'm willing to bet that this would out perform the SI 18 and perform every bit as good as the UM18-22. But for guys south of the border it doesn't really make sense to buy it. But for guys in Canada they'd almost be crazy not too once you factor in cross boarder shipping taxes and currency exchange rate its the same price as the SI 18 and UM18-22.
8. Daytona RSS460HO ...$249.

I know that the stuff from RE Audio is good too but you just don't see it being used as much.