AVS Forum banner

Official JTR speaker thread

3M views 44K replies 1K participants last post by  rcohen 
#1 ·

As more and more ppl buying these speakers, i thought that there should be a centralized thread to post pics, comments, setup.

Reactions: ronnlim and rizki96
#22,421 ·
The problem is the magnetic distortion field from all those subwoofers. The sub with the biggest magnet sounds best and all of the others distort due to the big boy magnets being too close.
David,

WTF? Is this a joke?

How are you going to throw something like this out with no backup info or links? What is your physics background? The "biggest" magnet doesn't necessarily mean "strongest" magnet. Is size the issue, or is a stronger magnetic field the issue?

This magnetic distortion field is closely related to the gravity distortion field...you can learn more about it on Wikipedia. :)
Did a wiki search of magnetic distortion field and was able to find this. While I'm not one to dismiss the theory that you proposed, how the hell can you say that magnetic distortion field is altering the performance of anything in anyone's system? Have you even seen @mjaudio system? Or are you just saying that he has so many damn (different) subs that all of the different magnets are fighting each other? How close do magnets have to be to each other for this "distortion" to occur?

Lame post man... You kinda left the science out of your response.

Again, I'm not one to argue with you because I have no idea if/how the "magnetic distortion field" and the "gravity distortion field" effect a drivers performance...my issue is that I don't think you do either.

So either educate us...or leave that extremely technical conjecture at home.

Unless you were just joking with us...In that case I say... You got me!!!
:D

#22,424 ·
Ahhhhh..... I hate you.

:p

That was a good one though. Dammit, now I'm pissed at myself for wasting 15min of my life responding to that post...lol.

David 1 = Austin 0
HAHA. That so rarely happens. :pATSBACK: :D

But you have a nicer system than I do...or you did. Not sure what you actually took over there. And you have/had a nicer ride than I have so I think Austin might have a few more points on the scoreboard. :)

But give me another month or so and I'll be putting up more points on the scoreboard. SHHH. :)

#22,427 · (Edited)
I had a weird thing happen this weekend. I had some friends over and gave up the sweetspot seats to some friends to watch a movie. The wife and I sat in the back row and immediately notice that the surrounds were very loud while the dialog was far less intelligible. Basically I sat though the entire movie uncomfortable with the sound. Yesterday, I checked the speaker levels and the surround levels were off by up to 9 db hot:confused:

I looked at the amps and noticed the gains were set to different levels on the surround amps. I re-set them to the "usual" position and everything fell into place. I have no idea (other than teenagers) how they were moved but that it is clearly something that I need to watch for in the future. Makes a case for amps without adjustable gains ... :)

#22,429 ·
Yeah that stinks when that happens RMK! Stuff like that has happened to me before too - something is off, and you only discover it later.
Yeah, the couple had been over before for movies but had not heard the system since the 215RT's. Their discussion on the way home probably went like; wife " wow I didn't think that sounded good, did you? ... husband "really? I thought it sounded great!, I've been thinking we should do something similar" ... :p

So it goes ... :)

#22,430 ·
I had a weird thing happen this weekend. I had some friends over and gave up the sweetspot seats to some friends to watch a movie. The wife and I sat in the back row and immediately notice that the surrounds were very loud while the dialog was far less intelligible. Basically I sat though the entire movie uncomfortable with the sound. Yesterday, I checked the speaker levels and the surround levels were off by up to 9 db hot:confused:

I looked at the amps and noticed the gains were set to different levels on the surround amps. I re-set them to the "usual" position and everything fell into place. I have no idea (other than teenagers) how they were moved but that it is clearly something that I need to watch for in the future. Makes a case for amps without adjustable gains ... :)
Yea, that bites.

Put some tape over them and they're far less likely to get played with. It may be a case for no gain adjustment on the amps...but a really poor one :).

#22,431 ·
I think its a bit early to throw the HST18 in the list, as barely anyone has them and there arent many in the wild that have been tested.
The si24 is for sure the leader in pure performance, SQ is subjective so IMO that should be a moot point for any driver but Dgages list is pretty damn close.

Lots of options for everyone!

#22,432 ·
So here's what I learned in the last year related to subwoofers.

1. I want something like the Seaton Submersive because that seems to be a well regarded subwoofer.
2. Oh, I need multiple subs to even out frequency response at multiple positions?
3. The commercial subs cost how much?
4. I bought the LMS-5400 uber subs and heard a few SI18s for 1/3 the cost (2 SI18s to 1 LMS-5400) and I can't tell a sound quality difference. Are you *#&*#)@& kidding me?
5. Good subs should sound similar when EQd similarly...output level at certain frequencies is usually the differentiator, which is why many have so many multiples.
6. As DoubleWing mentioned, you want to spread out your subs around the room as a start for measuring. Middle of each wall in a room might be a good start and then move subs to determine where they fit best in YOUR room.
7. Usually paying more for amps will get you better quality...be careful, many pro amps are LOUD. May or may not affect your situation.
8. I LEARNED A TON ABOUT AUDIO AND ACOUSTICS DOING DIY SUBS AND STILL HAVE A TON MORE TO LEARN.

David
I'd have to completely disagree with #4 . There's a couple of local members that have a few of the SI & the Dayton 18in subs in dual opposed cabinets. We all agree that the LMS drivers just sound "cleaner".

Is it the room?? The setup?? Who knows?? So take it for what it's worth. lol
One last comment on this to back up my homie edogg.

NB67 (chayne) and I both agree that the quad LMS Ultra's do sound different then our systems in that there is more detail to the bass. I win the war on SPL and shake factor which is greatly helped by having the system on the second floor. It is probably a tie with Chayne though now that he has added a pair of dual opposed 18" daytons to his Submersive pair but he is on a slab. I think Chaynes new house will have the media room on the second floor so I have to step my game up :D

I had a pair of sealed LMS Ultra's before and sold them because I wanted more SPL and was a little bummed these expensive drivers didn't give me what I wanted. When edogg added another pair to his set-up to make it quads that's when I had a DOH moment, I wish I would have kept my pair and added another pair. It was a big difference in edogg's system when adding the second pair of LMS, a lot more than I was expecting.

#22,433 ·

I looked at the amps and noticed the gains were set to different levels on the surround amps. I re-set them to the "usual" position and everything fell into place. I have no idea (other than teenagers) how they were moved but that it is clearly something that I need to watch for in the future. Makes a case for amps without adjustable gains … :)
Only you would hear that. Unless your friends are audio nuts like all of us, my thought is that they thought it was awesome. Early on my 4520 changed settings a couple of times. I remember one time my theater sounded horrible and went in and everything was reset? It has been fine lately.

#22,434 · (Edited)
One last comment on this to back up my homie edogg.

NB67 (chayne) and I both agree that the quad LMS Ultra's do sound different then our systems in that there is more detail to the bass. I win the war on SPL and shake factor which is greatly helped by having the system on the second floor. It is probably a tie with Chayne though now that he has added a pair of dual opposed 18" daytons to his Submersive pair but he is on a slab. I think Chaynes new house will have the media room on the second floor so I have to step my game up :D

I had a pair of sealed LMS Ultra's before and sold them because I wanted more SPL and was a little bummed these expensive drivers didn't give me what I wanted. When edogg added another pair to his set-up to make it quads that's when I had a DOH moment, I wish I would have kept my pair and added another pair. It was a big difference in edogg's system when adding the second pair of LMS, a lot more than I was expecting.
I guess I should say I haven't heard the LMS-5400s in an A/B comparison with anything but the HS24 and it was at a GTG, which wasn't a critical listening comparison. I've heard the SI18s at Coach's and at Beast's and I thought they both sounded great. So while the LMS-5400s might sound better, if you weren't going back and forth between the two, I don't think you'd realize much difference. I bought the LMS-5400s because I wanted the best sounding sub and at the time I thought subs sounded different from each other. They do to an extent but I've also come around greatly to the idea of upper class subs sounding similar if EQ'd similarly. That is my opinion that I will continue to refine but as of now, the subs we are talking about sound similarly to me. I hope that carries through when I do my detailed measuring/testing of the HST-18 against the LMS-5400. :) Regardless, we are at the 90/95% level where the 5/10% extra performance costs a whole lot more. :)

#22,435 ·
Well with the suggestion from Carp, I ordered 4 of the Axiom Full Metal Brackets to mount the slanted 8's. A little pricy, but I feel much better with these than the ones I ordered before. I am going to beef up the hardware to mount them, but overall the brackets feel sturdy and I like how they can be adjusted and keep the speaker close to the wall. I hope they hold the weight.

Attachments

#22,439 ·
We looked it up and think he's okay.

Warranty is 1 year on manufactures defect which includes surround glue. I honestly do think in this case it was a defect. It never bottomed out (his EPX 4000 watt amp bridged can't even do it), and it started making the air flutter sound way before the other one started tapping out by a soft clinking at max excursion. We thought it was a air leak with one of the screws, but after taking the driver out (and stripping out one of his cab holes trying to make it tighter - his doing not mine) we figured out the surround had come loose of the metal frame.

He's had them for less than a year, cause he just bought them early this spring.

Those LMS-5400 drivers are BEASTS in person. The motor structure makes my 50 lb ultimax 18's look like toys. Ridiculously heavy trying to put in the box.
Here is the RE making that Ultra look like a little baby.....oH, and then there is this 24" thing too...

David,

WTF? Is this a joke?

How are you going to throw something like this out with no backup info or links? What is your physics background? The "biggest" magnet doesn't necessarily mean "strongest" magnet. Is size the issue?
PL, size is always the issue.