AVS Forum banner

Official JTR speaker thread

3M views 44K replies 1K participants last post by  N8DOGG 
#1 ·

As more and more ppl buying these speakers, i thought that there should be a centralized thread to post pics, comments, setup.

Reactions: ronnlim and rizki96
#23,301 ·
Is this due to the 212's higher sensitivity?
I would think so. When I talked to Jeff about the 215s a couple months ago he did mention that the 212s are more dynamic and I have to assume that is because of their sensitivity...though I would assume if you threw the equivalent number of required watts at the 215s (say with a class D amp that has 2000 watts), you could achieve same/similar dynamics.

#23,302 ·
^^ not quite true. If the 212 and 215 are being fed the same watts the 212 is at least 6dB more output. I haven't measured the 215 but the 212 is rated 101 but i get more like 104dB. Remember the 212 can handle the same amount of power. I am right in the midle of my new set up with a new pre pro the the LG10k to the 212's and while I don't have it eq'd yet the level of power these 212's now have with 2100 watts each powering them is astounding! From 80 hz and up the 212 wins hands down in pure output.

Also I think it is interesting finding out how the opinion is that the 215 is harder to set up than the 212. I think everyone was hopeful that without the need for subs it would just be plug and play.

#23,303 ·
^^ not quite true. If the 212 and 215 are being fed the same watts the 212 is at least 6dB more output. I haven't measured the 215 but the 212 is rated 101 but i get more like 104dB. Remember the 212 can handle the same amount of power. I am right in the midle of my new set up with a new pre pro the the LG10k to the 212's and while I don't have it eq'd yet the level of power these 212's now have with 2100 watts each powering them is astounding! From 80 hz and up the 212 wins hands down in pure output.

Also I think it is interesting finding out how the opinion is that the 215 is harder to set up than the 212. I think everyone was hopeful that without the need for subs it would just be plug and play.
Agree with your point and I think I didn't articulate my point well. When I said "equivalent number of required watts" I meant if most people are throwing 100 to 300 watts at the 212s then if the 215s owners are throwing 1000+ watts then they should have similar dynamics.

I totally agree that with both are being fed the exact same watts then the 212 will be more dynamic because it is more efficient/sensitive.

#23,304 ·

I gotta admit, this is one of the best sounding speakers I have heard yet music wise. I am finding difficult to set it up with movies. I know what it is and it is running them full range for movies no subs. I think is is just going to be allot easier to cross them for movies with subs. I don't have subs in the room yet as they are not done yet and I don't have anyone to help me the Triax's to get them in the theater yet. I have a feeling I am going to be going with my plan to run full range for music and cross them with subs for movies. My problem with movies is that the bass is to overpowering, I can not find a balance between heavy LFE and dialog and that is just because I am not that experienced with setting it up a system to run full range with no subs. I remember RMK saying it was difficult.

#23,305 ·
It's my fault :eek: I have kinda clogged this thread up the past few days. Im sorry for that. But yeah, it's the JTR thread. :)
I actually enjoy how this thread can be a little A.D.D. at times, keep things interesting. Plus it should really be called the JTR lifestyle thread, so basically JTR and things going on in the life of JTR owners!....lol

So in keeping with that theme I thought I'd show off the newest addition to my JTR family! :grin:

It's been a late night and I'm running on fumes! I was working late till around 1am this morning and didn't fall asleep till 1:30am, next this I know my wife's waking me up at 2:20 with contractions. We dropped off our kids at their grandparents, got to the hospital for 3:37am and my daughter was born at 5:03am..... EXHAUSTED..lol :grin:

Okay, sorry for that back to our regular viewing.

Attachments

#23,306 ·
I gotta admit, this is one of the best sounding speakers I have heard yet music wise. I am finding difficult to set it up with movies. I know what it is and it is running them full range for movies no subs. I think is is just going to be allot easier to cross them for movies with subs. I don't have subs in the room yet as they are not done yet and I don't have anyone to help me the Triax's to get them in the theater yet. I have a feeling I am going to be going with my plan to run full range for music and cross them with subs for movies. My problem with movies is that the bass is to overpowering, I can not find a balance between heavy LFE and dialog and that is just because I am not that experienced with setting it up a system to run full range with no subs. I remember RMK saying it was difficult.
Not really, just have Jeff do it ... :p ;)

But seriously, it was nice having the designer/builder of the speakers in for the setup. He can be a moody guy ( :p ) so I let him do it his way and then tweaked things after he left. The Rane interface is the best Audio DSP GUI I have seen (very Visio like :cool:). If you run them full range on your AVR and then have DSP with your 6000 you should be able to set to taste. MiniDSP is another way to go.

#23,307 · (Edited)

But seriously, it was nice having the designer/builder of the speakers in for the setup. He can be a moody guy ( :p ) so I let him do it his way and then tweaked things after he left. The Rane interface is the best Audio DSP GUI I have seen (very Visio like :cool:). If you run them full range on your AVR and then have DSP with your 6000 you should be able to set to taste. MiniDSP is another way to go.
You know what is weird, I put in Star Trek into Darkness and it sounds great !!! I have had WOW loaded up for the past couple of nights. I don't know but I am very happy what I am hearing with this disc. How can this be? I changed discs because I am trying to set my projector for aspect ratios, glad I did. I have got to say these speakers are insane. I mean the bass is unreal. When they are hit with good LFE man do the hit hard, I mean my hair is moving LOL

#23,309 ·
You know what is weird, I put in Star Trek into Darkness and it sounds great !!! I have had WOW loaded up for the past couple of nights. I don't know but I am very happy what I am hearing with this disc. How can this be? I changed discs because I am trying to set my projector for aspect ratios, glad I did. I have got to say these speakers are insane. I mean the bass is unreal. When they are hit with good LFE man do the hit hard, I mean my hair is moving LOL
Yeah well imagine with 3 across the front :cool: ... no more bass needed except for those "unique" few who feel the need for brown note capability. :p :)

#23,311 ·
Yeah well imagine with 3 across the front :cool: … no more bass needed except for those "unique" few who feel the need for brown note capability. :p :)
Yeah I hear you. I am eventually going to add a 215RM. As suggested by Andrew I think I will use the ported monsters for near field.

More on the movies, WOTW for some reason just does not sound good for some reason, at least on what I have here now, It sounded fine before on my other set up. I know the bass is super deep, but the dialog is so soft, I would turn the volume up and then the bass would hit and it was just to much. Now with the Star Trek disc, it sounds great. Good dialog, good bass, sounds like I have separate subs. What I like is how the 215's just have a monstrous sound stage, the bass in your face is unreal. Also for the short clips I watched I felt the dynamics were close to the 212's with the edge to the 212's, but the trade off is a huge soundstage. I am really looking forward to getting these things straitened out. Good stuff here.

#23,312 ·
I actually enjoy how this thread can be a little A.D.D. at times, keep things interesting. Plus it should really be called the JTR lifestyle thread, so basically JTR and things going on in the life of JTR owners!....lol

So in keeping with that theme I thought I'd show off the newest addition to my JTR family! :grin:

It's been a late night and I'm running on fumes! I was working late till around 1am this morning and didn't fall asleep till 1:30am, next this I know my wife's waking me up at 2:20 with contractions. We dropped off our kids at their grandparents, got to the hospital for 3:37am and my daughter was born at 5:03am..... EXHAUSTED..lol :grin:

Congratulations Joe!! :) Although I have to admit I'm not envious of your next few years, haha. Now that both kids are in school I don't know if I could "start over" again but I'm happy for you man. :)

#23,314 ·

So how did you pull that off?? We're you the first 215 owner??

#23,315 ·

Damn poppa bear, congrats. My youngest just started high school this year and my oldest graduated last year. Im feeling old.

#23,317 ·
LOL..... Thanks Dave! Not looking forward to the second mortgage payment called daycare when my wife goes back to work next September, can you believe it $1800 a month for three! [emoji54]
Oh I remember, mine were spread out a little, so not so bad for me, but I remember when they started school it was great to loose that payment. But count that as chump change, when they get older and want cars, college, trips to Disney, the list goes on.