AVS Forum banner

Official JTR speaker thread

3M views 44K replies 1K participants last post by  rcohen 
#1 ·

As more and more ppl buying these speakers, i thought that there should be a centralized thread to post pics, comments, setup.

Reactions: ronnlim and rizki96
#32,481 · (Edited)
Isn't there someone who builds a custom crossover for the Volt's? I thought I had read about this and that the upgraded crossover made a huge improvement.
only thing about crossovers being built was by mtg90 and that was the 1099's

I dont know about a custom volt....hard to say where a huge improvement can be made...I know when the vilt was designed...they eventually went with an additional capacitor or resistor...and it improved the sound..but it is now standard on the xover they send

#32,482 ·
only thing about crossovers being built was by mtg90 and that was the 1099's

I dont know about a custom volt....hard to say where a huge improvement can be made...I know when the vilt was designed...they eventually went with an additional capacitor or resistor...and it improved the souns...but it is not standard on the xover they send
I think that change was implemented in the crossover they send out, I remember asking Eric about it. This was a year or two ago.

#32,483 ·
I think that change was implemented in the crossover they send out, I remember asking Eric about it. This was a year or two ago.
my typing is terrible this morning...i meant to say

it is NOW sent as a standard part ofthe xover...so all volts shipped now have the "upgraded" board and parts

#32,484 ·
Question to anyone running multiple JTR subs...

Are you guys using Y splitter(s) or are you chaining one sub to the next? My 1400 has a XLR loop output which is for chaining multiples together but I'm using a Y splitter out of my 88a to both subs. Not sure which way is better or if it matters.

Thanks,

#32,485 ·
I'm just providing the Dolby Atmos guidelines. I would think they came up with them for a reason. :) Most home theaters are smaller than the Central Listening Area (CLA) of a commercial theater. The Dolby Atmos guidelines for a commercial theater also call for the overhead speakers of the CLA to be aimed straight down.

One can experiment themselves with any of their Atmos speakers (or JTR 8" coaxials). Setup them up as mains and compare from pointing straight out to having toe in. Sit at the same distance as the Atmos speakers will be overhead. Connect them to the Atmos channels and play an Atmos demo or something with panning. If the soundstage gets wider with them pointing straight out, then you will get a wider panning area for Atmos with the speakers pointed straight down. You aren't trying to get a super strong stereo image between the speakers.

I just tested with the Dolby Surround 7.1 "Sphere" Trailer and prefer coaxials pointed straight out for the best effect.

https://youtu.be/t4G9wSjNyjk?t=7s
True but you want the ATMOS sound objects to be directionally specific, not diffuse. In any case there are many options and the results will more than likely be similar. :) I think Dolby's in-ceiling speaker recommendations are at least partially based upon a normal use case. The reality is most people are using in-ceiling speakers at home for convenience/aesthetics reason rather than hanging re-purposed surround speakers on the ceiling. Only crazy or obsessed folks do things like that. :p

#32,486 ·
Isn't there someone who builds a custom crossover for the Volt's? I thought I had read about this and that the upgraded crossover made a huge improvement.
The crossover is, and always has been custom for the volts. The only difference between the original iteration, and what ships out now is an a 5ohm resistor swap that has been a part of the design now for over a year. There is nothing "stock" about the XO that has ever come with the volt, and that resistor swap was something Matt decided on after running the volts h2h with the JTR s8's and my stock beyma beastclops build up at Rilla's last year.

#32,487 ·
The crossover is, and always has been custom for the volts. The only difference between the original iteration, and what ships out now is an a 5ohm resistor swap that has been a part of the design now for over a year. There is nothing "stock" about the XO that has ever come with the volt, and that resistor swap was something Matt decided on after running the volts h2h with the JTR s8's and my stock beyma beastclops build up at Rilla's last year.
Seems like everybody is getting into the speaker bizz these days. I have a little garage build I've been working on too. They sound pretty good only problem is that they are a little to pedestrian looking to attract my prospective clientele, the Sheiks of Araby. It's a small demographic but well healed and ripe for a product that fits into a harem type decor. Shipping will be a beatch ... :)

#32,491 ·
I've heard these, the balls are for clarity.[emoji6]

Have not! ... it takes big balls to produce a speaker like that. :p

Oh sir, not with the beastclops (I don't think). :)
I'll give you exclusive distribution (in Kentucky) for my "Harem Howler" 3 way (pun intended). Does Kentucky have any Shieks?

#32,492 ·
I'm curious if anyone has watched the movie Focus. The one with Will Smith where he is a con artist and takes on that gal to train...Anyway there is a scene where he is making a deal with a owner of a race team (F1 style cars) and during their sit down outside the cars come flying by at crazy speeds. I imagine they were trying to mimic the 200MPH craziness it is in real life. My dinky LR surround set sounded amazing, I can only imagine what it sounds like on some of your systems!!! Please try :D Also I thought the movie was very very good. For me personally I would say best movie I have seen in a couple years. Maybe I was just in a good mood or my expectations were low but I found it very immersive plot, etc...

#32,493 ·
I liked the Beastclops! I was surprised at how well they sounded.
You didn't even hear them with the custom XO! Imagine what you heard, but much more improved. They are sitting in my back room as we speak. They can be yours when you come down in a few weeks if you like em that much :D

Have not! ... it takes big balls to produce a speaker like that. :p

I'll give you exclusive distribution (in Kentucky) for my "Harem Howler" 3 way (pun intended). Does Kentucky have any Shieks?
Kentucky+Harem+3way= something to do with someone's sister and uh, yea. I don't sell in that stupid landlocked state.

#32,495 ·
You didn't even hear them with the custom XO! Imagine what you heard, but much more improved. They are sitting in my back room as we speak. They can be yours when you come down in a few weeks if you like em that much :D
Cool! I actually need 2 speakers that can keep up with the others. Looking forward to it!

#32,496 ·

Are you guys using Y splitter(s) or are you chaining one sub to the next? My 1400 has a XLR loop output which is for chaining multiples together but I'm using a Y splitter out of my 88a to both subs. Not sure which way is better or if it matters.

Thanks,
you might want to check in the 88a thread as I am not sure of its capabilities. In many cases it is good to have independent time delay for each sub. I have three sub and use a mini dsp to accomplish independent time delay for each. Can make a huge difference depending on the room and set up. I thought I hear in the OS thread the new amps have delay settings built in. Nice feature if that's true.

#32,497 ·

Thanks,
I don't have JTR subs, but it shouldn't matter as long as you have some way to time align subs and use a single channel of Dirac processing for all subs.

#32,498 ·
Hey lbrown

I did a quick check today. Hooked up to rear surround speakers to receiver ( brand new no calibration of any sort done) and hooked up the xls 2500. Hooked these to the main left and right outputs. Put gain full way on xls. No hiss at all 😀

I haven't looked at the gain setting in processor to see what they are at but very happy that these is zero hiss

Thanks again for all the help

#32,499 ·
Hey lbrown

I did a quick check today. Hooked up to rear surround speakers to receiver ( brand new no calibration of any sort done) and hooked up the xls 2500. Hooked these to the main left and right outputs. Put gain full way on xls. No hiss at all ������

I haven't looked at the gain setting in processor to see what they are at but very happy that these is zero hiss

Thanks again for all the help
that is great to hear. When you get to the level of speaker you are at you really appreciate not only how loud they go but also how quiet the room is with the components on. Dynamic range rules the day!

Glad to hear about the xls 2500 running quiet.