AVS Forum banner

Official JTR speaker thread

3M views 44K replies 1K participants last post by  N8DOGG 
#1 ·

As more and more ppl buying these speakers, i thought that there should be a centralized thread to post pics, comments, setup.

Reactions: ronnlim and rizki96
#33,841 ·
#33,842 ·
Now I want to try. Is it the Thunderbolt connection that allows for the low latency? I thought USB on PC was measured around 15-16ms in/out with Jriver (although I forget the interface being used). Using the interface at it's minimum buffer settings is not reliable. You'd think you need to use the lower buffer settings to hit 1.4ms. Seems too good to be true.
I just tested my MOTU with USB using the RTL Utility and got a round trip latency of 4.969 with a sample rate of 96 kHz and buffer size of 128 samples. I got 5.215 with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz and 64 samples. This is probably similar to how MOTU tested with Thunderbolt. There is some latency that will be added by JRiver in real life use.

The sample sizes I used are much smaller than I normally use so I'm not sure how stable the tested ones are.

I also have the Lynx Aurora 16-Thunderbolt and Lynx says they get much lower latency with Thunderbolt than with USB in their testing.

#33,844 ·
It sounds like you are running into some nuances of bass management on your surround processor. It's hard to offer much, since those things are all different. Try experimenting with different bass mgmt settings and different playback modes (Stereo, Multichannel, Direct, Etc.). On my Yamaha, Direct disables bass mgmt, so I never use that.

I'm glad someone else got to hear JTRs with a Parasound Ax1 amp. I love my A51 with my JTRs. Once you get the bass mgmt figured out, that Acurus will probably work great on the center channel after you add room correction.

I'm not sure if this is what you are experiencing, but when I changed to JTR speakers, I found the soundstage was narrower compared to my previous speakers. I moved the LRs further apart to compensate, and I really liked the results.
Figured it out, called Marantz they were telling me in multi channel stereo it sends limited signals to all the speakers but the mains.

I ran Audssey and watched Mad Dogs and quite frankly I am hearing / feeling so much that I've never heard before with my other center channels. Those twin 10" drivers move some air.

I can gladly say I'm a happy JTR owner. Now to get the 210RT's and some slanted 8lps. Might have some Salk ht2 tl's for sale soon.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#33,845 · (Edited)
Added: You can use True Time Delay with a filter length of 16,384 taps and the delay almost matches perfectly with the 140 ms on my JVC RS500 projector. This filter length is still much higher resolution than the miniDSP uses in its openDRC series.
Does audiolense let you specify the frequency range for the 16k tap filter and then merge that with additional (typically iir) filters into a single final output filter (that still has the latency characteristics of a 16k tap linear phase filter)?

Edit: if not, you could just use jriver peq and crossovers for the low end

#33,846 ·
Now I want to try. Is it the Thunderbolt connection that allows for the low latency? I thought USB on PC was measured around 15-16ms in/out with Jriver (although I forget the interface being used). Using the interface at it's minimum buffer settings is not reliable. You'd think you need to use the lower buffer settings to hit 1.4ms. Seems too good to be true.
If you are referring to my test then that was through jriver which has additional buffers in play. I was using FireWire 800 BTW.

#33,847 ·
Figured it out, called Marantz they were telling me in multi channel stereo it sends limited signals to all the speakers but the mains.

I ran Audssey and watched Mad Dogs and quite frankly I am hearing / feeling so much that I've never heard before with my other center channels. Those twin 10" drivers move some air.

I can gladly say I'm a happy JTR owner. Now to get the 210RT's and some slanted 8lps. Might have some Salk ht2 tl's for sale soon.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Great to hear!

The 210RT's are impressive!

#33,848 ·
I've been working on an idea for @dlbeck which I came to some conclusions this morning. He has been wanting to move to Atmos while retaining all the correction capability of Audiolense. Several of you have heard his system and have been very impressed. :)

By using a MOTU 1248 (12 channels), MOTU 16a (16 channels), or MOTU 24ai/ao (24 channels) with a Mac Mini connected via Thunderbolt, I can maximize the power of JRiver and its convolution engine to provide extensive room correction for any Atmos system. It would be like the miniDSP DDRC-88a, but with the processing system separate from the input/output. This enables one to use the highest quality AD/DA conversion with no almost signal chain rolloff (slight rolloff below 3 Hz on the input with no rolloff on output) and correct up to 16 speaker channels and 8 independent subwoofer channels.

This is Datasata and Trinnov (both standalone computers) level stuff at the affordable JTR prices.

One would have unlimited setups available with the ability to easily switch between them on an iPad.

This is very exciting news as I have been wanting to utilize my HTPC for room correction while using all the wonderful features of jriver and still be able to enjoy atmos or dts-x audio - might be the solution for me. Please when you find time share all the details[emoji6] [emoji6] [emoji2] [emoji2]

#33,849 ·
Why use Omnimic vs REW? Consumer ease of use with a very easy workflow and a manual goes a long way in eliminating frustrations. Also, Dirac has a larger customer support system that a customer can go to.
I mean why are YOU looking to purchase a studio version of Dirac if you prefer Audiolense?

#33,850 ·
I've been working on an idea for @dlbeck which I came to some conclusions this morning. He has been wanting to move to Atmos while retaining all the correction capability of Audiolense. Several of you have heard his system and have been very impressed. :)

By using a MOTU 1248 (12 channels), MOTU 16a (16 channels), or MOTU 24ai/ao (24 channels) with a Mac Mini connected via Thunderbolt, I can maximize the power of JRiver and its convolution engine to provide extensive room correction for any Atmos system. It would be like the miniDSP DDRC-88a, but with the processing system separate from the input/output. This enables one to use the highest quality AD/DA conversion with no almost signal chain rolloff (slight rolloff below 3 Hz on the input with no rolloff on output) and correct up to 16 speaker channels and 8 independent subwoofer channels.

This is Datasata and Trinnov (both standalone computers) level stuff at the affordable JTR prices.

One would have unlimited setups available with the ability to easily switch between them on an iPad.

This would be with an external amp to each speaker? Sounds awesome

#33,851 ·
Edit: meant to post this in the Orbit Shifter thread. I have dual OS LFUs and just ordered 3 212HTRs. Current mains are Energy RC-70s.

Well, I moved the subs all over the room last night. I laid them down on their sides at the front wall and frequency response was not consistent. Then, I couldn't get my fingers underneath them with the low pile carpet to attempt to pick it back up upright (where I can slide around easily with furniture sliders on the feet). So, I pushed them around on the floor which was daunting task. I finally ended up with decent response fairly nearfield. I put the mains on the corners and tilted them down to the listening position. I then ran Dirac adding a house curve and then added 10 db back into the subs on the levels and then ran REW. The LPF is set to 80 hz. The sub gain is 12 o'clock, as is the crossover and the LF adjust. Didn't need to mess with the delay since the subs are pretty identical in placement currently (I did experiment when I had the subs about 4 feet separate and clearly saw the difference in the response with and without).

Long story short, the response is pretty flat. It sounds pretty good, but I'm not blown away by my results, probably more attributable to my "weak" mains.

On that note, I ordered 3 212HTRs from Jeff today.

#33,853 ·
Edit: meant to post this in the Orbit Shifter thread. I have dual OS LFUs and just ordered 3 212HTRs. Current mains are Energy RC-70s.

Well, I moved the subs all over the room last night. I laid them down on their sides at the front wall and frequency response was not consistent. Then, I couldn't get my fingers underneath them with the low pile carpet to attempt to pick it back up upright (where I can slide around easily with furniture sliders on the feet). So, I pushed them around on the floor which was daunting task. I finally ended up with decent response fairly nearfield. I put the mains on the corners and tilted them down to the listening position. I then ran Dirac adding a house curve and then added 10 db back into the subs on the levels and then ran REW. The LPF is set to 80 hz. The sub gain is 12 o'clock, as is the crossover and the LF adjust. Didn't need to mess with the delay since the subs are pretty identical in placement currently (I did experiment when I had the subs about 4 feet separate and clearly saw the difference in the response with and without).

Long story short, the response is pretty flat. It sounds pretty good, but I'm not blown away by my results, probably more attributable to my "weak" mains.

Really like your space. Good luck with dialing everything in! 2 OS = good times.

#33,854 · (Edited)

That was a fast and and spot on determination. You are going to be entering a new level of audio performance and with your choices, you are at the very top of the food chain. From this point on, you can only make lateral moves. :)

#33,855 ·
#33,856 ·
I mean why are YOU looking to purchase a studio version of Dirac if you prefer Audiolense?
If you have signatures turned off you won't see mine. I have a business called High Impact AV (listed in my signature) and some customers want a solution they can implement themselves without too much hand holding. Dirac seems to fit in here. Also, I haven't tried the studio version of Dirac. I believe it adds crossovers and more extensive routing capability. If I try it I may like it.

This would be with an external amp to each speaker? Sounds awesome
Yes

Reactions: rcohen
#33,858 ·

That picture and placement of the shifters is hilarious....You sir, have real will power.

#33,859 ·
That picture and placement of the shifters is hilarious....You sir, have real will power.
My cap1400s will literally vibrate the 75lb 228s right off of them....I"m not sure how those towers are actually staying put on the OS!!

#33,860 ·
I just tested my MOTU with USB using the RTL Utility and got a round trip latency of 4.969 with a sample rate of 96 kHz and buffer size of 128 samples. I got 5.215 with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz and 64 samples. This is probably similar to how MOTU tested with Thunderbolt. There is some latency that will be added by JRiver in real life use.

The sample sizes I used are much smaller than I normally use so I'm not sure how stable the tested ones are.

I also have the Lynx Aurora 16-Thunderbolt and Lynx says they get much lower latency with Thunderbolt than with USB in their testing.
I did a quick test over USB. Just passed the L/C/R into JRiver input via asio and out asio. Just some crude graphic eq and it works perfectly. I did not test latency, but no lip sync issues that I could see. Still need to test with convolution. I'll play around more Saturday.

At first Jriver was crashing trying to open more than 2 asio channels. I guess there is a bug in the current stable version of 21 and it's fixed in a later version.

We may want to take this to another thread. This is very interesting. Thunderbolt may not be necessary.