Diva Swans-Best Speaker for the money EVER? - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #481 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering purchasing of four 4.1 Divas with center channel. I already own SVS 20 - 39PC sub and I think it's better to get cheaper 4.1's since I already own a kick-ass sub and mostly the difference between 4.1's and a step higher 5.1 is lower bass extension. Am I correct? Are there any other significant differences that should be considered? What's the real-life difference in performance between these two models? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I should let you guys know that I'm 65% movies/35% music listener.
Mariusz

[This message has been edited by mariusz (edited 08-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mariusz (edited 08-21-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I talked to Mark L. Schifter yesterday concerning buying six 6.1s or six 4.1s and a c3.

Although he could have suggested buying all 6.1s to make more profit he suggested:

6.1, C3, 4.1, 2.1, W/stands for a price of 2297.00

Mark took time to answer all my questions, which I am sure probably sounded ridiculous and probably get old after a while, it is very rare to encounter such an experience as I had with this company, I felt like I actually mattered to him for my satisfaction not just my money! Thanks Mark

post #483 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 07:50 AM

Hello everyone.

I've been lurking for some time and decided to register finally. I became aware of this site because of this Diva thread that led me to purchase a 5.1 set up from AV123. While I'm just now breaking in my fronts (5.1s) and haven't yet set up the R3s or the C3, I want to echo the overwhelmingly positive customer support experience I've received from them and in particular Steve Ozmai - from speaker selection, cabling, e-mail/telephone response, etc. These guys DO make customer support a priority and their commitment has eliminated any reservations I had about using the internet for such a significant investment.

By the way, I'm very pleased with the crisp & clear sound of the 5.1s - just an initial impression. Absolutely beautiful appearance and solid build quality.

I've learned alot on this forum. Thanks to all the experienced HT posters for giving me an education.
post #484 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 11:13 AM

I too have to say that I have my 6.1s, R3, and C3 package on order from **********.

I have spoken to them many times with many questions; all of the questions answered without making me feel like a moron. I also had the pleasure to speak to Mark yesterday and I have to agree that their customer service is unequaled. I mean...look at how many people have purchased these speakers without EVER having heard them.

That has got to mean something. I can't wait!!

-Vo
post #485 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello One and All:

Apologies for not being able to post on this and other forums for several weeks now. Things have been very busy for me...

I arrived back in the US some 10 days ago, and met my wife and Granddaughter Gracie up in Northern California just in time to meet my new Grandson (Jack Thomas Rogers) and attend the birthday bash for Jack's sister, Maddie. GREAT fun until I contracted the worst case of food poisoning imaginable courtesy of a local restaurant...

I'm finally back in the saddle (ouch)... and I'll work through today and tomorrow answering questions and offering comments as a follow up to the messages on this board. I'm back out to China in a few days... so I'll be on it quickly.

Thanks to many of you for your well wishes and wonderful comments about our products and our people. This IS, after all... what it's all about...

More to follow...

All the best...

mls

------------------
Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies and www.**********

Founder and President
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies
post #486 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spm21:
WOW!!!!

I got to admit I am mightily impressed with Mark. You got to admire a guy who is willing to put his number on a public forum where anyone can call. That is impressive. I am going to order the 5.1 tomorrow. I have sent an email with some questions about shipping. Once I have got that in, all I have to do is punch in the ole credit card number.

Dave, Tijeras is in New Mexico, about 15 miles from Albuquerque. Thanks for the info guys, I am really looking forward to getting these puppies in and hooked up. Once I get them I will report back.

Thanks again for all the help
Scott
Thanks Scott for your kind comments...

I feel this is part of my duty in service of our brand and, of course... YOU...

Many of you write and call... and I really enjoy the contact. It "connects" me to you, and closes the loop. You are always free to contact me as well overseas (for those of you that care to). My mobile number in China is:

As well... for Taiwan:

PLEASE be mindful of the time differences... :-)

I also will try to be more diligent on the boards while I'm away...

I really want everyone to know how appreciative we are for the kind comments and the business...

Thanks again Scott...

All the best...

mls

------------------
Founder and President

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #487 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Wong:
Hi,

I've been following this thread for a while, so I thought I'd weigh in with my opinions.

I received the 5.1s and 2.1s last Wednesday. I only have the 5.1s hooked up to some Home Depot wire at the moment, as I'm waiting for some other speaker wire to arrive. My receiver is an Outlaw 1050, and I also have an SVS 20-39PC sub.

My first thought was that the 5.1s lacked a bit of low end extension (without a sub), but after several days break-in and mated with the SVS, the sound is very pleasing. 2-channel is good, but I'll reserve final judgment until it's more broken-in.

For DVDs, I played Jurassic Park (DTS), chapter 11, using only Dolby Digital 2.0. I was very impressed, to say the least. All sounds were rendered beautifully, and this was only DD2.0! I'm excited at the prospect of experiencing JP DTS in DTS 5.1 when the C3 arrives.

As for looks, the 5.1s are beautiful. The stands for the 2.1s are the black 'D' stands, about 24 inches high. I believe the ********** site now has the M stands, which have a wood finish and a 37 inch height. This may be better for surround placement. (Mark, what's the price for these?)

I'll concur with everyone who says the buying experience has been pleasant. Thanks Mark and AV123. One more question: how much better would the 5.1s be with the Perpetual Technologies P-1A with SOCS?

Regards,

Joe

Hello Joe...

I hope someone at ********** answered your questions... Sorry I did not take care of this myself... The heat and humidity every day just wiped me out... I feel into the shower when I got home every night from the factory. (I guess I'm too old and too fat still after loosing almost 50 lbs)...

Thanks for your support as well...

All the best...

mls

------------------
Founder and President

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #488 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxC:
I would like to welcome Tinhere to AVS!

When I was first considering the Divas, I recall that I had seen a few reviews (ok...1) and some forum chats about them at the NY Expo show, but Tinhere was the only person I could find who actually owned them.

He gave me a lot of good useful info, unfortunately he admitted that he did not have much audio and speaker experience, but he has always been upfront about that. He added that if I had any questions that the folks at AV123 were very helpful. He was not wrong. I believe that Mark Schifter has a bunch of little Mark clones working for him! In particular, I would like to acknowledge Russell Woolfolk, who answered every question and email that I have had quickly and completely. The above, along with AV123's growing product reputation made my gamble less of a risk and today I am the proud parent twin Diva 6.1s.

Mark, you have a great staff, and I wish your business the best, but hope you do not do TOO well that it turns into one of those large faceless companies that are too busy to still listen to the customer...ha ha. Ohh, do you have some specs on the amp/pre amp and some pictues? Is the amp a 2 channel?

Max http://www.geocities.com/dmaaaaax/HT.html
Hey Max... Thank You...

Lovely comments...

EVERYONE at both offices just do a stellar job... I'm awfully proud of Russell too. He's a wonderful man, great husband and father to boot...

Thanks again...

ATB...

mls

------------------
Founder and President

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #489 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 01:44 PM

How are people who bought the C3 center speaker placing it? I have a 55" HDTV and was wondering would you place the C3 on top of your set or down in front? How would the placement affect the sound? Anyone have an opinion on this?

Robert
post #490 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I would like to welcome Tinhere to AVS!

When I was first considering the Divas, I recall that I had seen a few reviews (ok...1) and some forum chats about them at the NY Expo show, but Tinhere was the only person I could find who actually owned them.

He gave me a lot of good useful info, unfortunately he admitted that he did not have much audio and speaker experience, but he has always been upfront about that. He added that if I had any questions that the folks at AV123 were very helpful. He was not wrong. I believe that Mark Schifter has a bunch of little Mark clones working for him! In particular, I would like to acknowledge Russell Woolfolk, who answered every question and email that I have had quickly and completely. The above, along with AV123's growing product reputation made my gamble less of a risk and today I am the proud parent twin Diva 6.1s.

Mark, you have a great staff, and I wish your business the best, but hope you do not do TOO well that it turns into one of those large faceless companies that are too busy to still listen to the customer...ha ha. Ohh, do you have some specs on the amp/pre amp and some pictues? Is the amp a 2 channel?

Max http://www.geocities.com/dmaaaaax/HT.html
Hey Max... Thank You...

Lovely comments...

EVERYONE at both offices just do a stellar job... I'm awfully proud of Russell too. He's a wonderful man, great husband and father to boot...

Thanks again...

ATB...

mls

------------------
Founder and President

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #491 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Steve or Mark,

My current receiver (Onkyo 787) can act as a preamp, so I was wondering how much the Onix amp alone would cost (or possibly two) since my receiver is also upgradable to 7.1 via a 2 channel amp.

I am also still wondering if I should go with the dipoles (R3) or a direct (2.1s). I predict that the R3 will be great for movies, but my concern is how they will sound with Dolby Prologic II, DTS CDs, or DVD-audio. I fear they may be too spatial and not pinpoint enough. Has anyone in your staff tried them with the above music formats?

When do the P1A and P3A go on sale....ha ha.
Hello again Max...

Please check out our P-Tech site... your wish is my command...

:-)

mls

------------------
Founder and President

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #492 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bmwrob:
Any forum member from Germany who knows if Diva has renamed the series for the German market? If not I guess they could be popular amongst women!

Thanks for your question...

Nope... same name in Germany and we are the world wide agents for this product line...

All the best...

mls

------------------
Founder and President

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #493 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 01:57 PM

Mark,

Welcome back! Sorry to hear that you had the misfortune of being afflicted by the gastroenteritis. Hope all is well at both ends.

I do have a burning question for you. From the report of the other posters, the R3's are identical pairs instead of mirrored paired. When they are used as side surrounds (facing each other), the forward tweeter of one of the R3's is out-of-phase and the forward tweeter of its twin is in-phase with the main speakers.

It probably would not matter much if the listeners are located dead center between the R3's. To create some localization of the surround sound, a lot of people would like to put the surrounds slightly behind the listeners. If the surround speakers are mirrored pairs, the in-phase tweeters of both speakers are closer to the listeners than the out-of-phase tweeters. The mirrored pair would sound more even, more localized, & better tonal matched than the identical pair with the same setup. Some speaker companies do have their surrounds labeled as L or R to achieve this effect.

I wonder if AV123 would consider making the R3's mirrored pairs. If not, would you allow the customers do their switching without voiding the warranty?

Thanks!

Pete
post #494 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shainze:
Hi,

I have been following this thread for some time now. These Diva's look to be some of the best looking speakers I have seen for ANY price. That they are fairly inexpensive as nice speakers go really made me want to try them out. Still, I didn't really care for the black endcaps on them. Recently, however, Swan updated their website showing all of their speaker lines http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/...sysp/index.htm . You can see that below the regular Diva's are the SE Diva's. Now these were almost exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, AV123 doesn't sell them.

After searching the web, I found a dealer, Soundscape, in Santa Rosa, CA that does (though they don't sell the regular Diva's). Check them out, http://www.sonic.net/soundscape/divaht.html . I bought the whole 5.1SE HT except the subwoofer and they should arrive next Tuesday. Anyway I just thought I would let you know where to get some of Swan's other speakers. It may be that the Dul'cet or the Diva SE line better fits you home decor than the regular Diva's. I feel almost guilty mentioning another dealer after such glowing praise for the outstanding service at AV123, but they seem to be offering different lines of Swan speakers if the regular Diva's are not quite what you are looking for.
Please don't feel guilty at all...

Marc Silver is a long time friend of mine ever since the days of Northridge Audio (we're talking some 25 + years ago)...

These products are done in a PVC Vinyl (oak-ish) that we just did not like. We also felt that their system approach (with SE) did not produce the desired results by OUR measure.

All of our DIVA's are designed, produced and even boxed to our spec. We feel 100% confident in the DIVA line we represent...

Thanks for your kind comments about our group...

All the best...

mls

------------------
Founder and President

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #495 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwally:
pmf,

It didn't strike my nerves, just my curiosity. :-) Nothing personal as I tend not to get very emotional about audio equipment these days, although I do occasionally think back on a couple of ridiculously complicated turntables I once owned with some nostalgia. :-) Anyway, do the Def Tech's have powered woofers? I would be especially interested in the comparison to the B&W's if you do get them in the same room together. Are the woofs the same size? About the RTR's, here's a webpage dedicated to RTR fans. http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/unofficialrtr/
(Amazing, there's a web page for everything these days!) You should be able to find the info you're looking for there, best of luck on that. RTR had some nice things going for them, too bad they hung it up although I think they still make parts and replacement drivers.

I've got to tell you folks, among other things I'm mighty impressed with the midrange drivers on the 6.1's. I've been running all of my female vocal/male tenor stuff I can dig up and the coherence, quality (no chestiness) and off-axis response is amazing for a speaker of this price. To tell you the truth I was surprised to find real phase plugs rather than the false phase plug looking dustcaps you find on the lower line B&W's. Phase plugs do some nice things in the way of preventing phase cancellation from the inner cone where the sound waves typically tend to fight each other. This allows the x-over point to the tweeter to be higher putting less demand on it, but I don't know if Mark exercised than option. In any case, the improved driver phase coherence and off-axis response add up to some sweet sounding clear mid's on these things from any seating position in my room. Interesting how the C-3 design does essentially the same thing by using that giant dome mid driver. It will be interesting to hear the results of that implementation once it arrives.

I've been cruising the Swans site and it seems the age old gap between driver quality from the Scandanavian companies and the Chinese Hi-Vi stuff is blurring to a point of non-distinction. This was news to me. Have you guys seen the Neodymium (8 times the magnetic strength of Ferrite) magneted woofers listed on the www.swanspeaker.com site? 100mm voice coils on the 8's for example. Nice!
Hello bigwally... (Had a friend with that nickname once)...

I just want to say that Hi Vi makes drivers for some of the best companies in the audio industry. Big buck ($40,000 dollar + speakers) make use of their drivers...

We are fortunate to be able to utilize this strength... and use their totally vertical manufacturing base to make changes and modifications that make the product even better... This is very cool for us... and great for the end user... :-)

Thanks for your comments...

(Paid advertisement over)...

ATB...

mls

------------------
Founder and President

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #496 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luvflix:
Mark,

Welcome back! Sorry to hear that you had the misfortune of being afflicted by the gastroenteritis. Hope all is well at both ends.

I do have a burning question for you. From the report of the other posters, the R3's are identical pairs instead of mirrored paired. When they are used as side surrounds (facing each other), the forward tweeter of one of the R3's is out-of-phase and the forward tweeter of its twin is in-phase with the main speakers.

It probably would not matter much if the listeners are located dead center between the R3's. To create some localization of the surround sound, a lot of people would like to put the surrounds slightly behind the listeners. If the surround speakers are mirrored pairs, the in-phase tweeters of both speakers are closer to the listeners than the out-of-phase tweeters. The mirrored pair would sound more even, more localized, & better tonal matched than the identical pair with the same setup. Some speaker companies do have their surrounds labeled as L or R to achieve this effect.

I wonder if AV123 would consider making the R3's mirrored pairs. If not, would you allow the customers do their switching without voiding the warranty?

Thanks!

Pete
Hey Pete...

Thanks for this post...

I'm working my way through the pages (up to page 9)... but let me come right out and say that we would NOT in any way void the warranty if someone wanted to make this change.

I will weigh in on this subject in more detail later today or tomorrow as I make my way through... there are some interesting details I want to share with everyone...

Thanks again...

All the best...

mls

------------------
Founder and President

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #497 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 03:05 PM

Mark -

Any hope for a subwoofer with the rosewood veneer? I reluctantly purchased the Hsu VTF-2 recently when buying my system from you (I know, it's still a highly rated sub) but really wanted the sub to match the look of the other speakers. Just a what if question since I've already received the Hsu.

P.S. Give Ozmai a raise.....he's earned it through his customer service.

Dan
post #498 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

ANyone have some good up-close pictures of these speakers? I am going crazy trying to decide if I should get a set of 6.1's, r3's, and a c3, or a cs-ultra sub. I have an atlantic technology 270 setup now, but no sub so this is very tricky =(.

Thanks,

Chris
post #499 of 499 Old 08-21-2001, 04:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
Hi all...What a long, long thread. So, in that though, this current thread is now closed.

Please feel free to make a part two if you really think it is needed.

Thanks

------------------
David Bott
It's A World Of Entertainment...Experience It!
AV Science/AVS Forum Admin
http://www.avscience.com
http://www.avsforum.com
The Nate Home Theater

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page