Diva Swans-Best Speaker for the money EVER? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 499 Old 06-30-2001, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The speaker correction system is an interesting concept. It's supposed to not only smooth out frequency response but also correct phase shifts, and I believe a couple of reviewers found a dramatic improvement when switched on. It is speaker specific, and I believe it is placed between the DVD or other source and the preamp. I'm also guessing that it consists of two channels. So at this point it wouldn't be used for the surrounds and subwoofer and probably not the center channel in most cases, and I wonder if correcting the phase for two channels but not the others would be a problem. If so, it may not be appropriate for surround systems. Hopefully the representative can enlighten us. At this time only a few speaker models are supported, and I don't believe you can create your own settings.

Also, can Divas be auditioned anywhere? One idea would be to have a few centers across the country that would let you listen to a number of mail order speakers and electronics, including the new low cost offerings from Asia. Might be worth a fair amount of travel time for some of us.

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 499 Old 06-30-2001, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by KLee:
Mark:

Which line of paradigms (Reference? Monitor?) and B&W (600 series? CDM-NT?) speakers did you benchmark against...

Although I know speaker choices are subjective, it would be usfull to me (and perhaps others) to know which line of Paradigm/B&W speakers the Divas are targeting since we cannot demo them in a showroom....

Just so you know,
Thanks for your question... and I'll do my best to reply...

We have had mostly B+W's here... We've had the 3 series product, the current 802's through the 805's here as well as one CDM series product and (as I recall) two of the 600 series products here also.

As for Paradigms... I have to openly admit to you that I'm not 100% sure which models from what series we had here. I can tell you that we had three models, but until I can find my notes from these listening sessions... I'm not certain enough to quote you... Sorry... :-(

BTW... the Paradigms represent some of the BEST value I've ever seen or listened to. The B+W's speak for themselves... critically acclaimed engineering and fit and finish that blew me away (in the lower cost products too)...

Are we better... I think our products represent a better overall value... and offer a level of finish NEVER seen at these prices points. These speakers are voiced "up front" as they can deliver startling clarity and dynamics... and we all wanted these points conveyed to the end user.

Your mileage may vary... but DIVA sets new price to performance parameters... I feel quite certain sharing that one point with all of you...

Thanks again...

All the best...

mls

------------------
Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies and www.**********

Founder and President
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies
post #93 of 499 Old 06-30-2001, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Mark,

I have had the pleasure of having Genny Vs in my system for a few months, through the kindness of a friend. They are remarkable speakers, but the are very expensive, very heavy, and have some inconviences. Yet, they were the best sounding speakers I have ever had. Much more open and musical than my B&W 802s. Will this new speaker line incoporate some of the features of the Genny products. I would love to find affordable Genny like speakers.

SM
post #94 of 499 Old 06-30-2001, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cwilson:
The speaker correction system is an interesting concept. It's supposed to not only smooth out frequency response but also correct phase shifts, and I believe a couple of reviewers found a dramatic improvement when switched on. It is speaker specific, and I believe it is placed between the DVD or other source and the preamp. I'm also guessing that it consists of two channels. So at this point it wouldn't be used for the surrounds and subwoofer and probably not the center channel in most cases, and I wonder if correcting the phase for two channels but not the others would be a problem. If so, it may not be appropriate for surround systems. Hopefully the representative can enlighten us. At this time only a few speaker models are supported, and I don't believe you can create your own settings.

Also, can Divas be auditioned anywhere? One idea would be to have a few centers across the country that would let you listen to a number of mail order speakers and electronics, including the new low cost offerings from Asia. Might be worth a fair amount of travel time for some of us.

Craig
Hello Craig... and thanks for asking these very good questions...

It (the P-1A) is speaker specific... you are right... and it goes in the digital chain ONLY...

We have found it best to use this device on the front L & R's or you can use our MMK system to measure it with a subwoofer (in room) to generate some great corrections...

Now the Caveat... TODAY, we cannot give you "phase corrections" if you plan to use it for Home Theater applications... The logic of this won't escape anyone...

The Phase part of all of this creates a "lag" or delay in the chain... so, therefore, you cannot get the spoke word to sync with the video output (again... Today)... There is also the issue of "system latency" (did I spell that right?)...

The amplitude corrections are still mighty valuable... but the Phase issue is important as I've mentioned.

We have tested multiple P-1A's for the center channel etc. and the effects are staggering... more on this later...

The only way you can test drive the DIVA's is the "best way"... in your home... with your equipment. We give you a no hassle 30-day money back guarantee...

Thanks again for your questions and comments...

All the best...

mls

------------------
Founder and President

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #95 of 499 Old 06-30-2001, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Swampfox:
Mark,

I have had the pleasure of having Genny Vs in my system for a few months, through the kindness of a friend. They are remarkable speakers, but the are very expensive, very heavy, and have some inconviences. Yet, they were the best sounding speakers I have ever had. Much more open and musical than my B&W 802s. Will this new speaker line incoporate some of the features of the Genny products. I would love to find affordable Genny like speakers.

SM
Greetings Swampfox (cool name, BTW)...

The Gen V's are so darn nice... some of Arnie's very best work IMHO... they work so well "in room"... in fact, in any room... :-)

O.K. the Genesis 2000 Model C's are very similar in most respects...

They model C uses 2 of our custom, 8" single layer aluminum woofers, with a new VIFA made for us midbass coupler (6.5" like the V's) that is warmer AND sweeter in this critical band, coupled to the exact same titanium midrange and the exact same circular ribbon tweeter...

About 8 inches taller than a Gen V but without the built in servo woofer amps... (VERY important point)...

Much better cosmetic package... (again, IMHO) and can play loud without breakup... Super price to performance package at about $3700 ~ $3800 dollars per pair.

That's what I can share with you tonight... :-)

All the best... and thanks for your comments...

mls

------------------
Founder and President

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #96 of 499 Old 06-30-2001, 06:33 PM
pmf
Advanced Member

Welcome back Mark.

The Genesis 2000 sounds very interesting so it will be a four way, ported like the Divas? How does it compare to something like the B&W 802? I only read about Genesis on their website and get this feeling that cost isn't their top priority. This one model (number slipped my mind) has every gadgetry from metal drivers, ribbon tweeter, bipolar radiation, active powered servo SW plus lots of equilization adjustments. Of course something like that weights a ton & costs a fortune.

As for the P-1A SOCS, isn't it supposed to only work on PCM signal at least for now? I know for sure it won't work on DD or DTS but is there a chance in making it work on DSD (SACD) &/or MLP (DVD-A) signals? If so it will be way http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif .

Mark any idea about when the Genesis will debut for I've been looking around for some different 'transducers' lately and may wait a bit till I take a listen to the Genesis. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cheers

PF
post #97 of 499 Old 06-30-2001, 09:00 PM

I'm driving the 5.1s with a Denon 3801 without any problem. Past -5 (starts at -60 goes to 16) is unbearably loud in my 13 by 19 family room. Wife leaves at -20. Had them up to 0 way to loud for me but the Divas have no problem with it.
post #98 of 499 Old 06-30-2001, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mark,
WOW! All the information is wonderful! I had no idea we would get this kind of input from AV123. Really appreciate it. Steve O. had mentioned to me that a sub to be mated with the Diva line was in the works. I'm very curious about this as I am going to go ahead and order my system after I close on a home. I think I'm going to get the 6.1s,2.1s, and the C3 for now. (might pick up the R3s later for 7.1 ch use.) Since I am not as handy with the power tools as Bob Sorel, (he made his own sub enclosure), I would be very interested in what's ahead for the Diva line.
Thanks,
Ben

[This message has been edited by Ben Henry (edited 07-01-2001).]
post #99 of 499 Old 07-01-2001, 05:53 AM

Here are some quick thoughts on the 2.1s and 4.1s so far. I am pretty new to audio hi-fi so please take that in consideration when reading my comments. Most of my previous listening experience is from a Yamaha 495, B&W DM302s and a Hsu VTF-2.

Most of my listening of the Divas was with the Outlaw 1050 in stereo mode but I did do some listening with the Yamaha 495.

Both the 2.1s and 4.1s (and I am sure all the Divas as well) have excellent imaging. My 302s have pretty good imaging but the Divas are significantly better. I can't imagine it getting much better.

The 2.1s seemed to require a good amount of break in. When I first heard them, they seemed pretty harsh/bright (I hope I am using these terms correctly) but it did seem to get better after a day of listening. I was still a little worried about the harshness after the first day but then I read the review on www.hometheaterhifi.com which warned against the harshness which may be partially due to all the "new audible detail" due to the top mounted self-enclosed tweeter. The 4.1s didn't seem to have this initial harshness as much. This might be to the added "mid-bass warmth" I mention below.

After doing extensive listening to the 4.1s, 2.1s and the B&W 302s, here are some of my thoughts:

Differences between the 4.1s and 2.1s. Obviously the 4.1s have significantly more bass extension. The bass from the 4.1s is very nice. You shouldn't need a sub at all for listening to normal music. I don't find the bass too boomy at all. The imaging of the 4.1s and 2.1s seem to be equally exceptional. The one difference I did notice between the 4.1s and 2.1s (other than bass extension) is that the 4.1s seem to have a little more "mid-range warmth" (I hope I am using this term correctly). That is voices seem to have a little more bass behind them. The thing I am unsure about is which of the two is more accurate. Is the added "warmth" of the 4.1s more accurate or the lack of it in the 2.1s more accurate. This might be a matter of preference. I tended to prefer the 4.1s though. Sometimes the 2.1s seemed a little "bright", making me cringe a little. I might prefer the added "warmth" of the 4.1s since I have been doing most of my previous listening with my B&W 302s which also share this same "warmth". This brings me to my comparison of the Divas with my B&W 302s.

In terms of tonal quality, the B&W 302s sound very similar to the 4.1s. This is just overall tonal quality. The imaging of the 4.1s is MUCH better (I don't know what qualities in sound reproduction result in better imaging but the Divas have it). Like I mentioned above, the 2.1s seemed a little brighter. The 302s seemed to keep up with the 2.1s at fairly high volumes as well (that is I couldn't really notice any distortion). I didn't take either of the speakers to extreme levels though. Just above the level where the ears start to feel some strain. With the music I was listening to, the 302s and the 2.1s actually seemed to have about equal bass extension despite the fact that the 302s are significantly smaller than the 2.1s. If anything, the 2.1s made me appreciate my 302s a little more. The bass in the 302s did seem to be just a little boomy compared to the 2.1s. The 2.1s had very clean bass. The specs on the av123 website say the 2.1s' frequency response is 48 Hz - 20 kHz while the B&W site says 72Hz - 20kHz +/- 3dB for the 302s. In the music I listened to, the two bookshelf speakers seemed to have comparable bass extension.

So here is a rundown:

2.1s and 302s have comparable bass extension
4.1s and 302s have similar tonal quality (mid-range warmth)
4.1s and 2.1s have MUCH better imaging than 302s

Please don't get me wrong and think that I am saying the 302s are comparable to the 2.1s and 4.1s. They are similar in certain ways, but the better imaging of the Divas counts for a lot and makes a big difference in the listening experience. For example when listening to some vocal music with the 302s, I can point to a certain area where the voice seems to be coming from. With the Divas, I can pinpoint with more detail and confidence where the voice is coming from. Another thing is that with some music, I can hear certain sounds coming from the 302s, whereas with the Divas, they always seem to completely disappear.

Oh yeah, did I mention that these speakers look great!

Warning on the binding posts. If you are planning on using spades on them, be sure to get spades that accomodate 8mm/9mm binding posts for the 2.1s and 10mm (1 cm) for the 4.1s. Banana plugs work fine though.

Brett,

Concerning the Outlaw 1050. The speakers sound great on them. The speakers sounded pretty good on my Yamaha as well but I didn't do thorough comparisons between the two receivers. Something REALLY nice about the Outlaw is the flexibility in the crossover settings. I can't imagine buying a receiver ever again without having at least this much flexibility. I haven't really tested out surround sound on the Outlaw yet. The binding posts on the Outlaw are some of the nicest I have seen as well. I think if you get the Divas, I would definitely get the Outlaw as well. Actually, I think you should get the Outlaw regardless of the speakers you get. If you decide to go with Divas, I think the 4.1s would be enough. I don't think the extra 3Hz of bass extension (according to the website) you get from the 5.1s would be worth the money (and the larger heavier cabinets). The 4.1s seem fine for music and if you want them for home theater, you would want to get a sub anyways. Of course I have never listened to the 5.1s or the 6.1s (which might be different with that additional kevlar midrange) but I am perfectly happy with my 4.1s. Like I mentioned in my previous post, for $200 more I would get the 4.1s over the 2.1s unless I needed a smaller speaker for placement purposes. I think the differences in the sound of the 4.1s might be due to the smaller 5" woofers that are unique to the 4.1s. So it might be possible that the 5.1s might sound similar to the 2.1s (except much more bass extension) since they share the same 6" woofers.

Anyways, that's my take on things. I haven't listened to many other speakers extensively but I intend to get a pair of the Ascend Acoustic CBM-170s next week and maybe I will try to bring home some bookshelf speakers from a local dealer for comarison purposes.

If anyone else has the 2.1s or 4.1s, I would like to hear your feedback as well to see if others notice some of the same things I notice.

Hopefully these comments help.

Fletcher
post #100 of 499 Old 07-01-2001, 07:56 AM

I have the 2.1s, am planning on getting the DIVA center and surrounds. I can't decide between the 4.1s, 5.1s, or 6.1s for the mains, though. The cost difference isn't a factor for me, I would like what will work best with the others. I will also be getting a new sub this year.

I have an Onkyo 989, and probably do about 30% audio, 70% HT. Any suggestions?
post #101 of 499 Old 07-01-2001, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pmf:
Welcome back Mark.

The Genesis 2000 sounds very interesting so it will be a four way, ported like the Divas? How does it compare to something like the B&W 802? I only read about Genesis on their website and get this feeling that cost isn't their top priority. This one model (number slipped my mind) has every gadgetry from metal drivers, ribbon tweeter, bipolar radiation, active powered servo SW plus lots of equilization adjustments. Of course something like that weights a ton & costs a fortune.

As for the P-1A SOCS, isn't it supposed to only work on PCM signal at least for now? I know for sure it won't work on DD or DTS but is there a chance in making it work on DSD (SACD) &/or MLP (DVD-A) signals? If so it will be way http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif .

Mark any idea about when the Genesis will debut for I've been looking around for some different 'transducers' lately and may wait a bit till I take a listen to the Genesis. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cheers

PF
Thanks for your note PF...

The Genesis 2000 model C (as we are calling it for now) is not a ported design. The two other models are however...

The C uses these two 8" woofers in an L/C tuned configuration... but still paying strict attention to low impedence issues.

The P-1A as you've noted works "today" with just PCM signals... but as it's really an audio computer... we can arrange for other formats to sync as well. Take for example DTS and AC-3... the SHARC DSP engine we are using now has code sets available to run on these platforms... the next leap is easy for everyone to figure out from here... :-) The P-1A is SO flexible and will work year in and year out for a multitude of applications... We took our time for good reasons... and this is one of them...

I believe Genesis 2000 will make it's debut in late September or very early October if all goes well...

Thanks PF...

Wishing you all the best...

mls

------------------
Founder and President

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #102 of 499 Old 07-01-2001, 08:45 AM

Hi Fletcher,Brett,Louisb:
I was also worried my 3801 might not be powerful enough but Steve in av123's sales dept told me they use Outlaw 1050s to demo the speakers at the electronics shows with no problems. I chose the 5.1 because they are 3-way instead of 2-way which I hoped might make them more articulate. So far I'm very happy.
Mike
post #103 of 499 Old 07-01-2001, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Henry:
Mark,
WOW! All the information is wonderful! I had no idea we would get this kind of input from AV123. Really appreciate it. Steve O. had mentioned to me that a sub to be mated with the Diva line was in the works. I'm very curious about this as I am going to go ahead and order my system after I close on a home. I think I'm going to get the 6.1s,2.1s, and the C3 for now. (might pick up the R3s later for 7.1 ch use.) Since I am not as handy with the power tools as Bob Sorel, (he made his own sub enclosure), I would be very interested in what's ahead for the Diva line.
Thanks,
Ben

[This message has been edited by Ben Henry (edited 07-01-2001).]

Hello Ben... and thanks for your kind comments... I will do my best to keep in touch and be available through this forum... but it's often impossible for me due to schedules etc. But... I'll try... :-) I'm enjoying this place.

The sub prototype was shown last month at HE 2001 in NYC. It was VERY well received. We also sell the HS line of subs... which frankly is THE BEST value in the business...

Good luck on your search for a new home... and I'll hope for a smooth closing for you... but please note that the sale on Diva ends this Friday... and there will not be any new sales until (most probably) Thanksgiving... (Just an FYI only)...

In support of the sale... I will be in our sales center from Monday July 2nd from around 12 Noon forward. I'm out to So. Carl. Friday morning...

Please let any of us know if we can help...

(Sorry for the sales message in an open forum... apologies)...

Wishing you all the best...

mils

------------------
Founder and President

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #104 of 499 Old 07-01-2001, 11:01 AM
pmf
Advanced Member

Louiseb, first of all congrats on your 989 upgrade. With what you've got esp if you are to get the Diva center which is a three way design, the 6.1 should be the way to go and may be eventually get the P-1A with SOCS to further improve 2 channel performance. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I've got the 939 and still love it but did move on to separates mainly for better stereo music.

Mark, it's good to know I don't have to wait too long for the Genesis C. How would you rate it's performance as compare to existing competitions such as B&W, Paradigm, Sonus Faber, etc? Wow, looks like the P-1A will be the busiest piece of equipment for years to come. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

PF
post #105 of 499 Old 07-01-2001, 11:48 AM

Thanks pmf! I am happy with the Onkyo, it has the upgrades and should meet my needs. I was going to go seperates but the Onkyo is a compromise for my S.O. (how many times do you guys have to say that?) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif He is being very reasonable with me though, so I can't complain. I'm upgrading to an HD-RPTV this fall, have ordered a new Panasonic RP91K and the Monster HTS5000 already so am spending some bucks this year with all this. He's really pretty tolerant of this addiction of mine. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
post #106 of 499 Old 07-01-2001, 12:12 PM
pmf
Advanced Member

Oops, I should have known. Louiseb, he does sound like one fair guy just make sure he doesn't know about your messing around with the boys here. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Honestly, if you are only using the 989 in ~30% music, all you need is a descent stereo amp for your front channels on stereo music and let the 989 amp takes care the rest of 3-5 channels on HT. A Bryston 4B-ST should give most speakers a run for their money and it's 20 year warranty wouldn't hurt either. I am using a Velodyne HGS-18 SW with my 939 (speakers are the Def Tech BP2000Tl system) and you should also check out the SVS SW granted you don't mind their looks. Now all that provide you don't get as sick or addicted as we are by messing with stuffs like tubes, vinyl, etc. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif

Over the past year or two I've pretty much put thing on hold in video & the new audio formats giving them time to work out their differences and to consolidate things before throwing my hat in the ring.

I just e-mailed an Integra DRC-7 pre/pro user friend telling him you all should call or e-mail Onkyo praising their format upgrade but yet demand further upgrade on the bass management system making it more flexible instead of the current fixed 80Hz. Kinda keeping pressure on the opponent that is. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Gotta go & talk later.

PF

[This message has been edited by pmf (edited 07-01-2001).]
post #107 of 499 Old 07-01-2001, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the tip! Maybe I'll be able to budget the amp for next year. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I am leaning towards the SVS SW, but if Swan is going to put one out I may wait and see what it can do for the price.

I am thinking I probably will go with the 6.1s for mains, but I'm still open to suggestions!
post #108 of 499 Old 07-01-2001, 03:36 PM

Fletcher,

Thanks very much for that detailed review! If I understand correctly, you haven't had them very long. I, for one, would appreciate anything else you have to add after some further break-in (since it sounds like they change after time), if you have the time. Btw, bass extension isn't terribly important for me since I just built a shiva-based sonosub. I was looking at the 5.1 for the increased efficiency and impedance, and the 3-way vs. 2-way design, more than the extra 3 hz extension. I'm sure the Sony receiver will need all the help it can get.

Snakebite,
Would it be possible for you to give us (or me http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ) a more detailed review? I'd like to know how your impression of the 5.1s compares with the reviews I've seen for the 4.1s . Unfortunately, it seems no one has heard each of the models (except Mark) to compare them to eachother, but only one or two. There has been some concern expressed by others (like Ed and Bob, I believe) whether the larger size driver is actually "better," given the materials. I realize that you can't compare them either, but I'm still interested in any reviews I can find. Thanks!
post #109 of 499 Old 07-01-2001, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 102
If I remember correctly, John Kotches mentioned that the Divas excessive brightness mellowed out considerably right around 70 hours of use, so anyone keeping track of the breakin period, please make note if you find similar results.

You are correct in that I had concerns about the differences between the 4.1's, 5.1's, and 6.1's, as anyone using a high quality subwoofer in all modes would not benefit from the extra bass extension, as long as all models go down to at least 40 or 50 hz (assuming an 80 hz crosssover point). If there are other sonic differences besides bass extension, however, this would be a totally different ball game.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP/5C/DFAST!

[This message has been edited by Bob Sorel (edited 07-01-2001).]
post #110 of 499 Old 07-01-2001, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Mark,

Thanks for the explanation about the cosmetics of the Divas above.

On a more pleasant subject, I used to own a set of Genesis Vs and liked them a great deal. I still often wish I hadn't sold them.

The reason I did (sad to say) is that I hate the look of rosewood. And Genesis gives you any finish you like as long as you like rosewood.

Are you going to offer your Genesis variants in something more aesthetically pleasant - like black gloss or anything else that doesn't look like a large dead tree in one's lounge?

Cheers

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff
post #111 of 499 Old 07-01-2001, 08:58 PM

I really only started listening to the speakers this past Friday. I don't know an exact number of hours I have been using the 2.1s but I haven't reached 70 hours yet. I will concentrate more on breaking them in and see if I notice anything. I will post more if anything changes noticeably.

I also didn't know the 5.1s were 3-way. I just assumed they were the same setup as the 4.1s. My bad.

Fletcher
post #112 of 499 Old 07-02-2001, 12:25 PM
pmf
Advanced Member

Placed my order today with Susanne, very pleasant & helpful. The S&H can come up to quite a bit so you Californians better go pick them up. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Btw, I was told they have three year warranty.

PF
post #113 of 499 Old 07-02-2001, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

PMF,
What did you get and what was the shipping? Curious as I am in the Midwest as well.
Ben
post #114 of 499 Old 07-02-2001, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I called and inquired about the Diva 2.1's. It was $95 shipping, but that was for the speakers and the free stands. SO the bigger speakers without the stands might be similar. Kinda expensive, I thought, but they said that's a priority service. They CAN ship UPS ground for cost savings, but don't recomend it. I'm located in Tampa, FL.

Aaron
post #115 of 499 Old 07-02-2001, 08:00 PM
pmf
Advanced Member

Ben Henry:

You've got message.

PF
post #116 of 499 Old 07-02-2001, 08:32 PM

I also ordered a whole set last week, I was told they are out and expecting a shipment now, to be shipped out the end of this week. I have an open room Living room/dining room about 15x26 the "front" at one end longways. I spoke to Steve and he recommended the 6.1 front, 2.1 rear, of course the new center and new surrounds also. I also got the hsu sub. From Southern Ca. to Northern Ca the shipping was 240$ total order 2796.00 + tax + shipping.
John
post #117 of 499 Old 07-02-2001, 09:14 PM

Hey Brett, Thanks for asking.
I've been thinking about how I'd describe these speakers for a few days now. Unfortunately for you I also don't have the proper vocabulary but will give you my impressions and what speakers I've auditioned and liked and let you come to your own conclusions. I tend towards speakers often described as bright. My favorite was the Tannoy Revolution R-3. I could overlook its marginal bass because of its outstanding mid and upper range clarity. My second choice was the Monitor Audio Silver series 8i and 9i. Almost as good as the Tannoys in the upper but better bass. Speakers like the Def Techs and some NHTs have overpowering bass which blots out musical detail for my ears.

The Diva 5.1 on the other hand seem to have the best qualities of all the speakers I've listened to. Exceptional clarity ,articulate and detailed all come to mind. I use Loreena Mckennitt's "The Mask and Mirror" and "The Book of Secrets" along with Ray Obiedo's "Modern World" to sample speakers. Mckennitt's music (if you haven't heard it) is mostly acoustic instruments with a lot going on at all frequencies. The 5.1s allow me to hear its tremendous detail all up and down the range.

What surprised me the most though was the bass. It's quick and powerful and can go very low but is never overwhelming or obtrusive. I wasn't expecting this from a woofer of this size.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with these speakers and the fact that they are less than half of what I was going to pay for mains is icing on the cake.

Remember though these are the impressions of untrained amateur ears with different dealers, amps, receivers and cables. But for me these speakers are keepers.

Mike
post #118 of 499 Old 07-02-2001, 10:22 PM

Hey Snake, did you purchase the 2.1's for surround duties at the same time or just the pair of 5.1's? If so, how do the 2.1's sound with the 5.1's. I'm trying to decide between the 4.1 vs 5.1 for the fronts and one of the guys at AV123 said the 5.1's are better with the 2.1 since they have the same driver. Your thoughts?
post #119 of 499 Old 07-03-2001, 07:15 PM

Well, this is my first HT speaker purchase and I decided to take the Diva plunge. I called after they were closed and ended up speaking to Mark Schifter, so that was kinda cool. He answered all of my questions for about 15 minutes. I ordered the 5.1, 2.1, and Center package. I was going to get the Surrounds, but he suggested I go with the direct 2.1s. Price was $1473 + shipping + tax. He didn't know the exact price to ship the Center yet, so estimated total cost is about $1775.

I don't have many options locally for speakers so I was looking at paying $1650 for either the Klipsch Ref. or Boston Acoustics at my local Goodguys. I almost bought the Klipsch, but I just love the way the Divas look. I'm sure I'll be happy.

Well, time to order my SVS 20-39CS...

anthony
post #120 of 499 Old 07-03-2001, 10:41 PM

These speakers appear to cost $700/pr, and there is no discount. At that price they would have to be excellent, since you can get a pair of very good speakers for less than $200.

Much is made of the rosewood finish, which indeed looks very nice. Unfortunately you can't set anything on the top because of the tweeter.

------------------
Norm Strong (nhsns@aol.com)
Seattle WA

Norm Strong (normanstrong@comcast.net)
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page