post #181 of 499 Old 07-13-2001, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, thanks for the warm welcome.

In response to Ben Henry who wrote:

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that you actually purchased the display prototype of the Diva center and possibly even the surrounds? If so, there's got to be a story there."

No, I am still waiting for my C3 and R3 like everyone else. I know that a few of us were skeptical about purchasing the C3 and R3 sight unseen, so one of AV123's sales director emailed me sketchs of the C2, C3, R2, R3, pictures of the C3 and R3, and some technical data on the speakers.

Max

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 499 Old 07-13-2001, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

In response to Steve_D who wrote:

"OK, that I can believe, but that doesn't jibe with some of the earlier reports comparing them as better than Studio Series, B&W CDMNT, and higher (just staying with the same brands mentioned)."

My review compared those specific models because
1.) I wanted a floorstanding model
2.) I was only looking at speakers that were between ~$1200 or less (and I wanted to stay focused...ha ha)

That being said...I have listened to Paradigm's Reference 20,40, and 60, as well as B&W's CDM 7NT (using the same receiver I own). I actually preferred the Monitor 11 to the Studio 20 and 40. The Studio 60 and Monitor 11 was a toss up. I liked them both, but for different reasons. The Diva 6.1 actually combined a lot of what I liked about those two speakers, and I am confident that it can hold its own to the Studio speakers that I listened to.

Now that I own a pair of the Diva 6.1s, I find that when I visit my local HiFi stores, I listen to speakers and try to find those that have similar sound qualities and soundstage as my Divas. The closest I have found are the CDM7NTs. I found it hard to find any differences in the high and midranges but the 6.1s seemed to have more bass extension and I personally like the the looks of their seamless edges and rounded sides better...ohh, and for a pair of 7NTs, I could have gotten 4 6.1s. The 7NT was the only one in that series that I've had the opportunity to listen to.

I just wanted to emphasize that these are my personal observations and they are based on listening to the same playlist/with the same receiver. The Paradigms were tested side by side with each other but I have yet to lug my Divas to either HiFi store for side by side comparisons. I tried to only state obvious difference that I heard. This should give you an idea of how they sound compared to some of the other speakers that you mentioned. I hope this helps.

Max

post #183 of 499 Old 07-14-2001, 08:55 AM

Hi, I was planning on getting Cambridge SoundWorks Newton T500 Speakers. Can someone convince me that the Divas are better so I don't have to spend extra money on the T500s?

------------------
My current entertainment setup:
Panasonic 27" TV, Toshiba SD-3109 DVD Player (connected via S-Video), Aiwa Dolby Pro Logic Mini-Surround System, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PlayStation 2...(and more to come!)

My current entertainment setup:
Toshiba 14" TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi A/V Receiver, Sega Dreamcast, Microsoft Xbox 360
post #184 of 499 Old 07-14-2001, 09:35 PM
pmf
Advanced Member

You ought to be able to get some idea as far as where the Divas stand in the ranks of entry to mid level speakers from the info cummulated on this as well as the HTF, HTT posts whose links I put up earlier as a few folks had chimed in over @ HTT lately. Before you can efficiently use any of the higher power rating speakers you'll need a receiver with may be at least 75 real wpc.

Cheers

PF
post #185 of 499 Old 07-15-2001, 11:01 AM

Just thought I would put in my 2 cents on the Diva's for those who may be considering these.
First of all AV123 - They are great. I've dealt with Steve and he has been very polite and willing to spend as much time talking to me as needed. Very refreshing in todays world.
I ordered the 6.1's, the 2.1's, the c3 center and the r3 dipoles. I received the 6.1's and the 2.1's on Friday. Firt I will say that they were way over boxed and protected. In fact if you order the stands tell them to take them out of the box and put them both in one box and throw them on ups ground. That should save a few dollars anyway. After spending 45 mins just to unbox and haul the packaging down to my storage room I set them up. The detail and cosmetic appearance are just gorgeous! I feel sad that I can't put them upstairs or in my bedroom. I honestly think I will order some more 2.1's for my br and maybe some 4.1's for my family room. I first hooked them up to my older Yamaha 890. No doubt they just blew away my Polk's (ls50's back when Polk wasn't making speakers for Walmart.) I listened to both the 2.1's the 6.1's and loved them, but I don't have very good wiring on this system and there was some noise so I decided to bring out my new Denon 5800. I'm not going to use any of the worn out expressions like unbeleivable or amazing, but to me they just sound beautiful. I have never been able to get my wife to enjoy good music and hifi before and she loved them just as much as I did. We sat and listened to music for about 4 hours on Friday night instead of watching our usual video or satellite. I switched back and forth between the 6.1' and the 2.1's. To my amazement both of us preferred the kind and gentle, yet quite full sound of the 2.1's. These speakers are the best I'VE owned. For HT use though, we both agreed the 6.1's would be more exciting as they sound fantastic as well along with a big strong sound. I will say I haven't owned a huge amount of high end speakers. I have listened to many though. I know that statements like the one that started this thread are way too bold, but I really beleive that these may be the best speaker for the money at least until someone brings up something better. I don't profess to be some high end audiophile I just appreciate great equipment and great prices. I look forward to my center and surronds.
FYI- I ran my Diva's with a Denon AVR5800, my Sony 301 disc dvd, and Monster Power center. I cannot hear any audible noise.

"..go on, skin that smokewagon!"
post #186 of 499 Old 07-15-2001, 11:57 AM

Polaris Freak,

Thank you for the review. I'm a little surprised that you like the 2.1's more that the 6.1's for music. Did you use a sub with the 2.1's when you A/B them with the 6.1's? I wonder if using seven 2.1's might be a good idea to complete the 7.1 set up for theater. It would be a great bargain if it works well. Could you tell us about the imaging of the Diva's? Do they tend to disappear with good separation of instruments and vocals?

Pete
post #187 of 499 Old 07-15-2001, 05:56 PM

Like I said before, I am really not a fully experienced audiophile. In fact my hearing is about 10% damaged due to childhood recklessness. But they do sound very good to me and my wife who has perfect hearing thinks they sound better than anything she has heard. I wish I could impress you all with tech talk and flattering words about them but it would be pretential. Talk snowmobiles, ( my other hobbie), and I'll give you all the top talk.
Here is the best way I can put it. I'm sure if you are used to regular speakers ie- polk, boston, klipsch etc that you will find these to be fabulous and probably the best you've heard. If you are used to Magnepans, Dynaudio, Wilsons etc then I would assume you would still think they sound great, how great I don't know.
As far as imaging, yes they are great IMO. There were many times we felt like the musicians were right in the room with us, (Andreas-Cosmopoly -the end of track 17, that is one cool track) and I'm sure this rooms acoustics are not even that good. As far as the 2.1's being better... I think it was more what we wanted our mood to be at the time. Like I said they were so delicate and pure sounding. I wonder if we thought that because they were missing the big strong bass and not really because they sounded any better. One thing I know for sure. They are flat out beautiful in their appearance and I've never seen a speaker that looks this good for this price.
I hope I am not rambling on and I apologize for not being more of an expert.
There is a lot of talk about these speakers but not by many who actually have them so I thought I would share my experience anyway.

[This message has been edited by Polaris Freak (edited 07-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Polaris Freak (edited 07-16-2001).]

post #188 of 499 Old 07-15-2001, 10:44 PM

I must say, I got my 6.1's and 2.1 on friday also. Another word of advice, if you unpack them alone, as I did (I was too anxious to wait for anyone), be careful! I was unpacking the 6.1's standing up on end, thinking to slide them standing up out of the box. I forgot the tweeter was on to and had the speaker upside down, no damage but be careful. It's best to wait for help with these monsters. Funny I had a friend under the house installing my Buttkicker, so I had him go ahead and run some peaker wires while he was down there. Man these are nice looking speakers. I have yet to connect them to my new system, I just had them on my old Sony ES, but they sound great. I can't wait for the C3 and R3's to come.
John
post #189 of 499 Old 07-16-2001, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Polaris Freak,

I am glad you like your new speakers, but if you think you like them now wait until they fully break in. This may take around 50+ hours.

Maybe your roomsize is just more suited for the 2.1 or maybe, like you said, it just fit your mood at the time, but I do have a few questions about your listening experience. Did you have a sub hooked up? Did you have the 2.1 at around the same height as the 6.1? This may make a difference in imaging and soundstage depending on your sitting height. When you switched between the 2.1 and the 6.1. did you change your receiver from small to large in the speaker setup? I found this makes a huge difference when comparing bookshelf and floorstanding speakers.

Out of curiosity, are you planning on using the speakers for a 7.1 movie set-up? I saw that you ordered the C3 and R3, so are the 2.1s for the surrounds or center surrounds?

Max

post #190 of 499 Old 07-16-2001, 10:06 AM

Polaris,

It does not surprise me that you prefer monitors over the floorstanders for 2 channel music. Many, many audiophiles feel the same way (when mounted on good stands), which is why there is a plethora of higher dollar monitors available. In fact, many of the ultra-high end designs have separate bass modules where the bass chamber is completely isolated from the others, even if the woofer and other drivers are all in the same physical construction.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that there are as many opinions on the side of monitors on a good stand as there is floorstanding.

------------------
my toys at www.sdiver.org
post #191 of 499 Old 07-16-2001, 01:45 PM

Just go the Diva 5.1's installed and have tried different material with them from rock to classical to DTS theater (Gladiator). They are great sounding and look great. I also have a Mirage BPS 400 subwoofer and am still trying to decide whether to set the sub to LFE effects only with the Diva's shown as both small and large for DVD's. BTW I am using the Denon 3801 receiver and they drive the 5.1's very well - still having more than 1/3 of the adjustment scale available when the sound level gets too loud for even me.

I will be seriously considering at least the Diva center channel.
post #192 of 499 Old 07-16-2001, 02:02 PM

Dave,

Is that the one that tweeter has on sale for like 800? Its got a 2 or 4 hundred watt amp, two drivers, and is all black, with a gloss top.

I have been considering that one. If so, where did you get it and how much?

thanks

Maynard
post #193 of 499 Old 07-16-2001, 09:55 PM

I am afraid that people will think that I don't like the 6.1's as well as the 2.1's. Not the case. I have no regrets about the 6.1's they are awesome. I think it was the mood, (kids in bed, quiet night with the shela and a little celtic music) No I didn't have a sub running with my 2.1's. (waiting for my Lambda HE15.4 kit) If you are thinking of buying just the 2.1's all the way around I would feel confident in saying that you would not be disappointed. It should look and sound fantastic providing you run a good sub with them. I'm sure I would have been well pleased with that setup as well. When I put them in my theater the size of the 6.1's will probably become more of a factor as my ht is about 3 times as big as the room they are in now. I have the 2.1's sitting on the stands so they are close to the same height. I have not tried to change my AVR to small speaker yet. I've never had to do that before, maybe I'll try it. Can it be done with a Denon 5800?
I am using the 2.1's for rears in 7.1 config, (r3 dipoles for rear sides.) Isn't that a shame? I am tempted to throw my polks or old yamahas back there and put the 2.1's in my bedroom.

post #194 of 499 Old 07-16-2001, 10:57 PM

I got them from Perpetual Technologies - the web site is www.**********. Mine are the 5.1's and they were on sale for less than shown on the site. The contact info is on the site. They are very responsive.
post #195 of 499 Old 07-17-2001, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried bi-wiring their Divas? If so, what were your specs (guage wire, plugs, length, model) and did you hear any differences? Can you bi-wire one side and leave the other side single wired for a test or is that harmful to the speaker/system?

Max

post #196 of 499 Old 07-17-2001, 05:37 AM

Sorry Dave, should have been more specific. I was talking about the Mirage Sub.

-maynard
post #197 of 499 Old 07-17-2001, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

In response to Polaris Freak who wrote:

"I have not tried to change my AVR to small speaker yet. I've never had to do that before, maybe I'll try it. Can it be done with a Denon 5800?"

I am not sure about that particular model but most receivers let you change the speaker size, distance to listener, and surround height in the speaker configuration menu. Many also allow you to do a sound test and adjust the dB level. I thought this info might be helpful in case you dedide to use your Yamahas as rears, you could adjust its volume to better match the Divas. This will not make them sound the same (timbre), but at least the volume levels will be close.

Max

post #198 of 499 Old 07-17-2001, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Sorel: Guys, if I have my information correct, THX recommends the use of dipoles on the sides and monopoles for rears for the very reasons you have mentioned. I prefer the added directionality of monopoles for all surrounds, but it is a personal preference and not anyone's standard way of thinking. If you get the chance, listen to some 7.1 setups in both configurations and then decide what you like best. I don't think anybody would recommend dipoles for all surrounds, as the soundfield would get quite "messy".
I'm looking at the following configuration...I'm using a Denon 5800 amp in my HT loft area...

Diva 6.1s for the front left and right
C3 for the center
R3s for the sides
either R3s or 2.1s for the rear...

From the above post, would the 2.1s be a better choose for the rear channels since they are not bipole speakers?

Any comments or suggestions? Obviously, I am not in a position to hear the speakers first hand, but with a 30 day money back guarantee, I am considering the diva's...

What do you think the best 7 channel setup would be?

Thanks

------------------
kenmullins
newnan, ga usa

[This message has been edited by greenwing (edited 07-17-2001).]

GreenWing
newnan, ga USA
post #199 of 499 Old 07-17-2001, 09:42 PM

Sorry for such a long post.I received my Divas yesterday 6.1 mains 2.1 sides C3 still on order.First off I want to say thanks to Steve and everybody at AV123 for all there support these people are GREAT! I unboxed the speakers by myself what a job but well worth it. One word comes to mind to describe these speakers and that is INCREDIBLE!!Not only are these speakers beautiful but they sound beautiful out of the box.I hooked up the 6.1 as mains and a 2.1 as a center BTW the 2.1 is a excellent timber match as a center even though it is a 2 way vs the three way design in the 6.1 i turned on the pink noise and could hardly here a difference unlike most dedicated centers, it makes me wonder if the c3 purchase is worth it but I am going to try it anyway.I turned Diana Krall on last night and listened to her for 4 hours and I could not turn her off.The sounds I was hearing, there are no words to describe. Her voice is something else.The soft domes that I was a little skeptical about from my previous speakers Paradigm Studio Studio 40 v2 aluminum domes. these German soft domes are very detailed without any edge in my system.I could here every detail from the brushes on the snare to the high hats even Dianas lips when she would part them.The mids are very smooth although they did sound a tad bit compressed im sure this is due the the break in of the Kevlar.I am running my XLO test cd today on the pink noise frequency sweep track at a high volume and plan on doing this for the next couple weeks while my wife and I are at work i feel this should take care of the little bit of compressed sound in the mid. The bass is very good in these speakers but i am a bass junkie so I use my Definitve PF 1800 to support it and they blend very well.In closing i feel electronics and room accoustics either can make or break a speaker my Lexicon DC-1 V4.0 and Rotel mono blocs match very well with these speakers. I would with out doubt recommend these speakers.I am very anxious to hear what the speakers will sound like after burn in. If anybody has any questions or comments feel free to contact me.

[This message has been edited by Ken S (edited 07-17-2001).]
post #200 of 499 Old 07-18-2001, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Greenwing,

If I were you I would get a set of 2.1 and a set of R3 and determine how you want them placed. For movies, I agree with Bob. I would put my R3 as side surrounds and the 2.1 directs as rear surrounds. However if you listen to DVD-audio or DTS CDs you might want more directionality and less spaciousness in your surrounds and; therefore, would want the 2.1 as your side surround. Sorry to confuse the situation further, but I thought if you do listen to the above formats or will in the future, that you might want to think about that also, before deciding what to get.

Buying both would give you the option of switching the 2 when you need or at the least you can demo both to see what you prefer. By the way, I have seen a few stores use a center speaker for 6.1 formats, but have not really seen a 7.1 format.

Max

post #201 of 499 Old 07-18-2001, 11:49 AM
pmf
Advanced Member

Got my 6.1 invoice in the mail yesterday and the phone call today for their delivery tomorrow. We'll see.

PF
post #202 of 499 Old 07-18-2001, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Received my 6.1's and 2.1's yesterday...pmf mine arrived right when they said they would, so expect them tommorrow. If you unpack them yourself you'll have a sore back afterwords! I'm just starting to break mine in today, so in a week or two I'll let you know what I think. The top of the speakers are where the draw strings are, just in case you slide them out of the box standing up...
post #203 of 499 Old 07-18-2001, 04:53 PM

Dang these speaker sound great!

post #204 of 499 Old 07-18-2001, 07:01 PM
pmf
Advanced Member

Thanks David for the heads up and I'll see what I can do.

Btw, do you all tip those delivery guys & how much? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

PF
post #205 of 499 Old 07-18-2001, 10:46 PM

The Sale is being EXTENDED AGAIN, so you can continue to buy these speakers at a discounted prices. I wonder for how much longer it's been extended, as the website doesn't specify it.

Also, with the high shipping cost, they quoted me $200-300 for delivery to Canada. I wonder if they'd let me call up UPS myself to pick up a pair and deliver (that would run about $90 according to the UPS www online calculator).

I already have a pair of 2.1s I'm eagerly awaiting.

[This message has been edited by Bubba67 (edited 07-19-2001).]
post #206 of 499 Old 07-19-2001, 05:24 PM
pmf
Advanced Member

The Diva's are in. Just got the 6.1's unpacked & hooked up to my ancient JVC receiver playing radio for break in. I agree these things are beautiful esp with the new one piece grill cover. Will take my time before dragging the amp & other gear up stair for some serious listening.

If you go slow & organized, you won't have much problem unpack & set up by yourself. On the outside box, open the side without the staples. The inside box should tell you where to open then you can feel for the speaker terminals through the cloth cover to get the right orientation before standing the thing up to undress. There are so much styrofoam packing you can easily grap a few pieces to help lay the thing on it's side to completely remove the cloth cover.

Will report back after break in. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

PF
post #207 of 499 Old 07-20-2001, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I want to thank everyone for sharing their opinions and experiences with the Divas and av123. After a nice long chat with Mark Schifter this morning I decided to take the plunge and order a pair of 6.1's, C3 center, and 2.1's. This is the first time I have ever bought speakers without an audition. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Steve

------------------
Our Home Theater
post #208 of 499 Old 07-20-2001, 05:12 PM

You should probably wait to see if you like them before you go thanking everyone huh? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
I'm sure you will love them as we all have.
____

Steve I noticed you have AR's up front. I have the smaller versions of those, (which have been demoted to my computer speakers.) I think I can say with some confidence that you will be blown away by these Diva's. (to put it kindly)

[This message has been edited by Polaris Freak (edited 07-20-2001).]

post #209 of 499 Old 07-20-2001, 11:46 PM

Does anyone know the size of spade lug I should be looking for in order to fit the binding posts? I unpacked my 5.1's tonight but couldn't get my soldered end 10 gauge wire through the hole in the shaft of the post ( even though it did fit with my old NHT Superzeros). It appears that the hole may be a tiny bit smaller in diameter but it's opening is partially impeded by the biwiring strap. These binding posts look a little larger than normal and I'm afraid a standard spade lug won't go around the post. Any help is appreciated!
Dave
post #210 of 499 Old 07-21-2001, 02:07 AM

Here is an excerpt from my long post back on page 3.

"Warning on the binding posts. If you are planning on using spades on them, be sure to get spades that accomodate 8mm/9mm binding posts for the 2.1s and 10mm (1 cm) for the 4.1s. Banana plugs work fine though."

The binding posts on the 2.1s and the 4.1s are different, but I am guessing that the binding posts for all the floorstanders (4.1, 5.1 and 6.1) are all the same. So my guess it requires a 10 mm (1 cm) spade lug which I have never heard of. 8mm/9mm I have heard of, but not 1 cm. You might have trouble finding one, but you can always go with a banana plug. I have a feeling that you won't be able to tell any difference whatsoever between using a spade and a banana plug. You just get the added convenience of the bananas.

Fletcher
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page