Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 499 Old 06-17-2001, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,
If you haven't already, check out John Johnson's review of the Diva Swans 4.1 http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-5-2001.html

Anyone have these speakers or another from the line?
I've been looking at the Paradigm Reference series, but these may just blow Paradigm out of the water in the Bang 4 Buck category.

Any comments, opinions or experience with this line appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 499 Old 06-17-2001, 03:47 PM
pmf
Advanced Member

There are posts on several other forums (HTT, HTF, etc.) about the Divas and AVS member John Kotches responded on some of them already. There's a sale going on right now @ av123 and if you happen to have the PT P-1A/P-3A combo so to use their SOCS on the 4.1 & 6.1 you definitely can't do much better that at within 2-3 times price range.

PF
post #3 of 499 Old 06-17-2001, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

PMF,
Thanks for the heads up. I'm headed the website now to check it out. Anybody bought these speakers yet?
post #4 of 499 Old 06-17-2001, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

PMF,

To be fair, I also write for John Johnson's publication.

Regards,

------------------
---
Editor, PC/Home Theater Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
post #5 of 499 Old 06-17-2001, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I heard these speakers at the New York show recently, and after listening all day to speakers costing $5000 to $10,000 a pair, and some others costing up to $120,000, the Divas were a breath of fresh air with a price tag of only $699 a pair. They represent the very best buy in a commercial speaker I have ever heard and seen. I can build better speakers for less money, but I feel that the non-DIY'er would be hard pressed to find a better value.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP/5C/DFAST!
post #6 of 499 Old 06-18-2001, 10:06 AM
pmf
Advanced Member

David Scott has posted those pictures on one of the HTF posts and they are as gorgeous as the mains. Also the prices you listed should be $100 less each during the sale.

PF
post #7 of 499 Old 06-18-2001, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Center Channel - $499.00 U.S.
Dipole Surround- $599.00 U.S.
I assume that the surrounds are $599 per pair, right? Even the pricing on the center and surrounds makes a lot of sense to my way of thinking (though I have never even heard or seen them), as I feel that the center should be as good as or better than the mains in a home theater setup, assuming that a quality sub will be used with the system. Does anyone have a link where I can see the pictures and find information about the upcoming surrounds and center? Don't get me wrong, I am still a DIY kind of guy, but I have friends who would rather buy speakers, and the DIVA 4.1's represent the best price/performance ratio I have heard to date, standing up very well against speakers 8 to 10 times their price. My only gripe at the time was the fact that matching a center and surrounds might be a problem, but since Ben just mentioned the introduction of these additional speakers, I feel this just might be a winning combination!

John Kotches, I assume that you also liked what you heard from the Diva 4.1's, though I have not read any of your comments on the other forums. Are we in agreement again? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP/5C/DFAST!

[This message has been edited by Bob Sorel (edited 06-18-2001).]
post #8 of 499 Old 06-18-2001, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Bob,

How would you compare these speakers to the Gemini's?

Rick

------------------

The Home Theater

Rick
post #9 of 499 Old 06-18-2001, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
How would you compare these speakers to the Gemini's?
Rick, I'm sorry, but that would be impossible to do under the circumstances. I would have to take home a pair and use them for a month or so and do carefully level matched comparisons on a wide variety of material to make any meaningful comments between them and the Dynaudios, or any other speaker for that matter. I heard music through them, and I would like to hear spoken dialog for an extended period before passing final judgement.

I made my earlier comments based on a single afternoon's adventure at the New York show, where I was inundated with high priced speakers, all of which sounded very good. When I heard the Divas, the thing that stood out in my mind was the fact that these $700 speakers had absolutely nothing to be ashamed of in the company of hordes of other much higher priced entries. Not only did they sound great, but they also looked like high priced speakers, and I was amazed at the low price tag attached to them (I thought that maybe some kid had taken the price tag off a pair of cables and stuck them on the speakers as a prank http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ).

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP/5C/DFAST!

[This message has been edited by Bob Sorel (edited 06-18-2001).]
post #10 of 499 Old 06-18-2001, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Bob,
Found out from av123 that the center and surrounds are NOT on sale now. They were offered at a discount until June 2nd. Still waiting on pix. When I have time I'm going to look up the post at HTF which was referred to earlier to see pix of the center and surround.
post #11 of 499 Old 06-18-2001, 03:45 PM
pmf
Advanced Member

Try this link guys. In fact I believe this is the same post David Scott posts about his Diva's order and the center/surround prices. I would try to push AV123 to give you better deals on the whole package.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/038180.html

PF
post #12 of 499 Old 06-18-2001, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Bob,

Almost in agreement anyway http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I've heard the 5.1s and 6.1s, and they are pretty good speakers. Coming from me, an admittedly biased towards planar speakers kind of guy, add one notch to my assessment for fairness http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

And this means I haven't heard the 4.1s yet.

Regards,

------------------
---

[This message has been edited by John Kotches (edited 06-18-2001).]

post #13 of 499 Old 06-18-2001, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Bob,

Thanks for the reply! Yeah....until you can get the speakers into your HT it probably would be hard to know the difference.

Here are the pictures of the center & surrounds!

http://freehosting1.at.webjump.com/8...webjump/r3.jpg

http://freehosting1.at.webjump.com/8...webjump/c3.jpg

Rick

[This message has been edited by RickS (edited 06-19-2001).]

Rick
post #14 of 499 Old 06-18-2001, 07:46 PM
pmf
Advanced Member

Ben Henry:

I just resurrected the HTF post (see link above) and sure enough David responded & confirmed my suspicion that you CAN convinced AV123 to give you the sale price on the center & surrounds if you are going for the whole package.

Btw, Bob, those prices are per speaker, I think!

PF

[This message has been edited by pmf (edited 06-18-2001).]
post #15 of 499 Old 06-18-2001, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all,
Just read through the entire HTF thread that PMF linked on his post above. Very informative. One of the gentleman really gives a thorough review of the Diva 6.1 speakers. Here are the links see the center and surrounds:
http://maxnfstracks.webjump.com/C3.jpg
http://maxnfstracks.webjump.com/R3.jpg

(credit to HTF member David Scott for providing these links)

I think they both look VERY nice. I got the WAF and am going to order a complete set of Divas in the next couple of days. I think I'm going with the 6.1s,2.1s, and the center for starters. I might add the dipole surrounds a little later. I got to looking at the av123 website (again) and it seems that there may be a big brother to the 2.1s. Possibly a two way with the tube tweet and an 8" driver like those of the 6.1s. I am going to call Steve at av123 again. By the way, they are very generous with their time and willing to answer any and all questions.

PMF- the price mentioned for the center is, of course, per speaker, but the price for the surrounds is per pair.

Dare I ask what sub to mate with these baddies?
Maybe I'll save that for another thread...

[This message has been edited by Ben Henry (edited 06-19-2001).]
post #16 of 499 Old 06-18-2001, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Bob,
Thanks so much for the info! After following your HT adventure for a while I trust your opinions a lot. You made the decision to try these beauts out a lot easier. I keep hearing rumors Swan is coming out with a center and surrounds for the Diva line. I'm checking into that today. I'll post my findings later.
post #17 of 499 Old 06-18-2001, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
PMF- the prices mentioned for the center is, of course, per speaker, but the price for the surrounds is per pair.
That makes a lot of sense, as it keeps the prices in proper perspective.

Quote:
Dare I ask what sub to mate with these baddies?
Maybe I'll save that for another thread...
Well, you certainly know my answer to that question. One Stryke Power15.2 would be absolutely perfect http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP/5C/DFAST!
post #18 of 499 Old 06-18-2001, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

[This message has been edited by Ben Henry (edited 06-18-2001).]
post #19 of 499 Old 06-18-2001, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Just got off the phone with Steve Ozmai in Tech Support at **********. That is the company distributing the Diva series for Swan. He said that indeed there is a center and a rear dipole surround set for the Swans due to debut in late July. Center Channel - $499.00 U.S.
Dipole Surround- $599.00 U.S.

There is a sale on the rest of the Diva series which goes until July 6th as may have been mentioned before.
Steve is emailing me pix of the Center and Surrounds which I will try to post here when I receive them.
Steve also mentioned that the Divas only come in the real Rosewood veneer. (Like that's something to complain about!)

post #20 of 499 Old 06-18-2001, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Doh! I should have read some of the DIY Sub Project thread BEFORE I asked that question.

Uhh, Mr. Sorel Sir?
If you could just Fed Ex that lucky router of yours out here to Kansas, I'll be starting on my own Stryke Audio enclosure asap http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
post #21 of 499 Old 06-18-2001, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
" With regards to your question, the Diva Rear's actually have a total of (2) tweeters and (2) 6.5" Mid/Bass drivers in a dipole design. In other words, there is (1) 6.5" driver and (1) tweeter (German Silk Dome) firing in one direction, and another set firing in another direction."

This was from a post by TinHere on AudioReview forum. The center will have the tweeter on top, but I couldn't find any other specs.

I ordered the 6.1's, surrounds, center, and a pair of 2.1's for the rear center speakers. They gave me the surrounds and center for the sale price since I ordered the package. Now I need something to run these babies...thinking about the Denon 3801, but I know it's been discontinued so may wait for the new model with DPL II.<FONT COLOR="Yellow">Text</FONT c>
post #22 of 499 Old 06-19-2001, 06:55 AM
pmf
Advanced Member

David:

Welcome & thanks for joining us in the AVS Forum.

Now you are making thing real difficult for me telling me that the surround price quoted are for a pair. Does that mean I will have enough to spare for an extra pair of 2.1's?

Someone on HTF is asking about the drivers on the center and may be we should direct him over here as well.http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

PF
post #23 of 499 Old 06-19-2001, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmm....let me see now:

4.1's for mains @ $699/pr
center channel @ $499
dipole surrounds @ $599/pr (for sides)
2.1's @ $399/pr (for rears)
Total= $2196 - $200 for preordering = $1996?

That seems almost too good to be true. Have I miscalculated?

I haven't heard either the 5.1's or the 6.1's, but my assumption would be that they are better in the low bass. If (and that's a big "if") this were true, and you were going to use a high quality sub with this system in all modes, then I see no reason to go with anything higher priced than the 4.1's for mains. Now if you need 2 channel passthrough, thus bypassing your bass management and time alignment, then you might want to spring extra for the 5.1's or the 6.1's for 2 channel analog. This is all hypothetical, of course, as I have never even heard the 5.1's or the 6.1's.

John, if you get a chance to listen to all 3 of the large Divas, maybe we can encourage you to share your thoughts on how the various models compare? We'll keep in mind your bias towards planars http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif , but I'm sure we could count on your honest assessment of the differences and similarities between the various models. I'll bet there are a lot of people here who would be very grateful, as very few of us have the opportunity to audition the various models head to head. Heck, maybe you guys might want to even consider this project for an article on the "Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity" site http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP/5C/DFAST!

[This message has been edited by Bob Sorel (edited 06-19-2001).]
post #24 of 499 Old 06-19-2001, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Prices til' July 6th when the sale ends:
4.1's @ $599 a pair
center @ $399 not on sale but gave me this price w/ package
surrounds $499 see above
2.1's @ $399 a pair...includes free stands til' July 6th
Total= $1896 +shipping and tax (if you live in California)

Swan will also be coming out with a sub for the Divas.
post #25 of 499 Old 06-19-2001, 11:43 AM

Sseems like a very good deal. But it also sounds like the reviewer is reviewing with the spec sheet as much as his ears:

"The detail is all there, as a result of the tweeter being mounted in its own enclosure."

Seems presumptuous to me. There's lots of speakers with extraordinary detail that don't have tweeters in their own enclosures.

"I could hear no ringing in the metal drivers, due to the polymer coating."

How on earth does the reviewer know that the polymer coating is doing a damn thing? Maybe it is ringing, but the manufacturers notes on the effect of the polymer coating have convinced him otherwise.

I'm sure these are fine speakers, but this review sounds very, very contrived.
post #26 of 499 Old 06-19-2001, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
"The detail is all there, as a result of the tweeter being mounted in its own enclosure."
B&W is well known for using this technique in their highly praised Nautilus series....not exactly a secret.

Quote:
"I could hear no ringing in the metal drivers, due to the polymer coating."
Also well known information concerning metal drivers. Ringing is audible, and it is either there or it is not. I would also have assumed that the polymer coating would be responsible for "deadening" them. It only makes sense.

Quote:
I'm sure these are fine speakers, but this review sounds very, very contrived.
So you've heard these speakers and disagree? Or are you accusing the reviewer of dishonesty?

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP/5C/DFAST!

[This message has been edited by Bob Sorel (edited 06-19-2001).]
post #27 of 499 Old 06-19-2001, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Bob,

Send a note to JJ (our Editor-in-chief) with your suggestion. In the meantime, I'll point him to this thread http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

WRT to the 4.1s, Yes, it would be interesting to hear them and compare with the 5.1s and 6.1s.

So far the big issue on the 5.1s (relying on acoustic memory, never the most accurate device) -- the tweeters start out very bright, and over time calm down. I noticed a big drop in brightness at about the 70 hour mark on the 5.1s. I say about, because Stacey had the 5.1s running for about 40 hours before the benchmark, and about 30 hours of additional time and the brightness was fading away.

Regards,

------------------
---

post #28 of 499 Old 06-19-2001, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a link to a site with pictures of the center and surrounds along with their specs. If you click on "home theater" on the left you can view the 6.1 set-up Max has. He's also included pictures of the 6.1's with the grilles on...thanks to Max... http://www.geocities.com/dmaaaaax/HT2.html
post #29 of 499 Old 06-20-2001, 08:08 AM

Bob. I haven't heard the speakers, nor do I think the reviewer is dis-honest. Most people are swayed by manufacturers comments on engineering features/benefits, and reviewers are no exception.

In all honesty there was no underlying theme to my post other than that particular review seemed very contrived. I'd actually love to hear the speakers and form my own opinion.
post #30 of 499 Old 06-20-2001, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Geeze Bob, if you're going to get all official and everything, it's Dr. Johnson, but everybody just calls him JJ -- he only uses the PhD when he has to :-)

Sorry, I assumed you knew JJs address, staff@hometheaterhifi.com will work just fine.

Regards,

------------------
---

Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page