I'm working on my HT and finally got my AVR, an H-K AVR 254 from ebay. The next step is to slowly piece together a 7.1 or 7.2 speaker system. I can save about 50 bucks a week but I'm really itching to get some real sound into my theater. Because of that, I was looking at The Speaker Company to start piecing the system together slowly. This is what I was looking at and the order I was planning to get them as I save up money.
1. A pair of these for $180 TSBL
2. This sub for $230 Premier_Acoustic_PA_120
3. This center for $100 TC2-Center-Channel
4. A pair of these for the surrounds for $170 TSS-B-525-Dipolar
5. Finally a pair of these for the backs for $130 TSAT-1000SB
This would eventually total about $810 for the 7.1
My concern is that I haven't seen many reviews of TSC (although I'm pretty sure the quality is there). Nearly ready to pull the trigger on the Left and Right, I started second guessing myself and looked to Hsu. I researched Hsu a while back and have heard nothing but great things about them. The concern I had was the surrounds, because I want to wall mount them. Well I thought that I could use the Ventriloquist Extra speakers for that as they are small and the surrounds don't need to drive as much. So the second set I was thinking of putting together was:
1. A pair of these for $360 (I would want the Espresso veneer to match my wall color) hb-1
2. This for the center at $280 hc-1
3. 4 of these for surrounds and back $160 vt-254
4. Finally I think one of these for the sub at $350 stf-2
A total of $1150
I thought that I could wait on the sub with the Hsu system as I've heard those bookshelves have pretty good lower end for bookshelves and I thought the surround aspect would be more important to me, than the LFE aspect (but that is subject to change
So with the Hsu system I would have to wait a little longer for the initial purchase (I don't do well with delayed gratification) so this option may be a little tough but if everyone thinks this would be the better option, I think I could do it.
Basically I want as many opinions as possible as to what people think would be the better bang for the buck. For reference my room is about 12 x 20 (open in the back, L shaped room) and the ceiling is only about 6'7" due to this being in the basement with a dropped ceiling. Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts.