What AVR to match with Def. Mythos ST system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2009, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just purchased a new 5.1 speaker system with Definitive Mythos STs up front, Mythos Twos in back, and a Mythos Ten for a center. I have been looking at higher-end big company AVRs and am stuck. I can't decide which would match best with the speaker's character.

I can't get over the tinniness on the top end of the Pioneer Elite series. I like Yamaha's warmth (3900, etc.) but am worried that they may be bass heavy like my speakers. Denons are good but don't seem as compelling as the Yamaha.... they sound very bland and reserved to me. I never liked Sony AVRs but the new 5400 has gotten great reviews (WHat HiFi, etc.) I am looking to spend no more than $1500....

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 11:33 AM

I demo'd the ST with a Denon 2809, they didn't sound underpowered at all and the Mythos are very efficient speakers. The combo I have heard rave reviews about and particularily with the Mythos was the Pioneer Elite SC 07.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonan View Post

I can't decide which would match best with the speaker's character.

I can't get over the tinniness on the top end of the Pioneer Elite series. I like Yamaha's warmth (3900, etc.) but am worried that they may be bass heavy like my speakers. Denons are good but don't seem as compelling as the Yamaha.... they sound very bland and reserved to me. I never liked Sony AVRs but the new 5400 has gotten great reviews (WHat HiFi, etc.) I am looking to spend no more than $1500....

Try the golden ears in the 2 Channel Forum.