changing 3 watts speaker to 30 watts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-07-2009, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, newbie here.. i have a transceiver radio that has a build in 4 ohm 3 watts speaker in it. when we put the volume on maximum the speaker always get busted or brake. i am planing to change it to a 4 ohm 30 watts speaker.
my question now is...is it possible to do that? or do i have to put some kind of an amplifier to it. my worry is if i change it to 30 watts i may burn something inside the rig which i don't want to happen. anyone of you experts out there have a suggestion? thanks and GOD BLESS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 157
You are clipping your amp. Doesn't matter what the speaker is rated at. You can't turn it up to max volume. If you need to go that loud but something else.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #3 of 6 Old 08-07-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
This is like that movie Frequency, but with a computer instead of a Ham Radio... is there Aurora Borealis going on? He's posting from 1969, right?

post #4 of 6 Old 08-07-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Sure, you can upgrade your speaker, assuming you find another speaker driver that fits the physical dimensions of the existing location, but you're not going to escape the amp clipping.

It could be possible to upgrade both the driver and the amp, but now you're talking about replacing everything, so you might as well dump whatever that's not working for you and buy a better item in question.

YID DIY
post #5 of 6 Old 08-07-2009, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you just want a speaker that won't break when you put the volume knob to max, perhaps try a 6 or 8 ohm speaker. That should put less load on the amp, perhaps preventing it from clipping. But it probably won't play as loud, perhaps by a significant amount. You could also mod the circuit a bit so that "max volume" is not as loud, protecting the speaker.

If your requirement is that you want it to be as loud as possible with the internal amp, find a speaker with the highest sensitivity you can find.

However, I think the other responders are probably right that you will not achieve satisfactory results without an external amplifier. We can continue if you clarify your requirements -- why are you putting the volume knob to max?

-Max
post #6 of 6 Old 08-07-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoycobra View Post

Hi, newbie here.. i have a transceiver radio that has a build in 4 ohm 3 watts speaker in it. when we put the volume on maximum the speaker always get busted or brake. i am planing to change it to a 4 ohm 30 watts speaker.
my question now is...is it possible to do that? or do i have to put some kind of an amplifier to it. my worry is if i change it to 30 watts i may burn something inside the rig which i don't want to happen. anyone of you experts out there have a suggestion? thanks and GOD BLESS

Believe it or not, on just about anything with a volume knob, you reach the amplifier's max power when the knob is set at 50 or 60% (12:00 or 1:00).

Espo77
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page