Where to start, 2.1 or 3.0? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-14-2009, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I've been lurking for some time now and finally decided to post.

I recently found myself purchasing a Denon avr-989 when amazon was having a killer deal on it last week ($550 shipped), now I need speakers. I know you're supposed to get the speakers first, but I just couldnt pass up that deal.

Anyway, I would like to start with either a 2.1 or a 3.0 system, and upgrade to 5.1 in the coming months (i.e. at least after the next credit card cycle )

My budget is ~$1000 total, somewhat flexible.

Im more or less set on the Infinity primus 362's ($150 each), but i don't know if i should go with a sub or with the center to match. thoughts?

my room is roughly 14x17 and the system would be used for about 40/40/20 movies/music/tv

Also, are the infinitys overkill for a room this size.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-14-2009, 08:00 AM

I would spend the 1000 dollars on the two front speaks.

I havent heard the ascend sierras yet, but they are highly regarded by many people here. They run for about 900 shipped. Another option is the SVS MBS-01 which are about 1k.

In the 1000 dollar range, I would look for bookshelf speakers as they give you more bang for the buck.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-14-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The Axiom M22's paired with a good sub ie SVS or HSU. The Sierras are good speakers but I can't see MYSELF spending that much on them or the SVSs. If spending 1k on the front speakers don't skimp on the sub or the center, don't over spend on one set of speakers and have to compromise on the rest. http://www.axiomaudio.com/m22.html and http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12nsd.cfm those are a killer combo IMO, I have the m22s and the pc12 sub the m22s are so clear and the mids and highs are very detailed. The m22s you get a 30 day trial. You should also check out any high end audio dealers in your area too. Demo speakers from Klipsch, Paradigm, Focal, Bowers and Wilkins, PSB, Monitor Audio, Polk Audio RTI A and LSI series, and Def Tech all are well reguarded brands too.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-14-2009, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

My bad, reading my post again I guess I wasn't to clear on the budget. Its supposed to be 1000 total for the 5.1.

Ideally I would like to spend half on the fronts and center, and half on surrounds and sub, or some such combination. The m22s are nice, but too rich for my blood
post #5 of 11 Old 08-14-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
$949 plus shipping http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm full 5.1. Elemental Designs package builder http://www.edesignaudio.com/htpackage.php 2 pairs of a6 5t5 and a a6 5t5 center with a2 250 sub $714 you can save 15% by buying all at the same time.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-14-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxza View Post

My bad, reading my post again I guess I wasn't to clear on the budget. Its supposed to be 1000 total for the 5.1.

Ideally I would like to spend half on the fronts and center, and half on surrounds and sub, or some such combination. The m22s are nice, but too rich for my blood

If you are getting the Primus 362s get the matching center - the C350 - and a pair of P162s for surrounds. Being front ported they will mount on a wall or against it with little boundary problems. The Infinity PS212 sub is a decent one that the Audio Video Source also carries. I own one. There are better subs available that go lower (no BFD IMO) but not for your budget. All that comes in under $1000 - $819 and whatever shipping charges they levy.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #7 of 11 Old 08-14-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 516
For the price, you can't do much better than the p362. It will sound much fuller if you go with a sub rather than a center. Don't go with a dinky cheap sub either, as the p362's have pretty good extension, and a small sub isn't going to be much of an improvement. One I would suggest right now is the HSU VTF3.3, which is on sale right now, 10% off regular price. Incidentally I am setting up a p362/VTF3.3 combo for my mom and dad right now.

Other subs I might recommend, which will fit your budget, are the Elemental Designs A3-300, if you can stand the wait, or the SVS PB-12, or the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, which is sort of a VTF3 clone.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you are getting the Primus 362s get the matching center - the C350 - and a pair of P162s for surrounds.

This is in fact the exact setup I was looking at.

Quote:

It will sound much fuller if you go with a sub rather than a center. Don't go with a dinky cheap sub either, as the p362's have pretty good extension, and a small sub isn't going to be much of an improvement. One I would suggest right now is the HSU VTF3.3, which is on sale right now, 10% off regular price. Incidentally I am setting up a p362/VTF3.3 combo for my mom and dad right now.

Other subs I might recommend, which will fit your budget, are the Elemental Designs A3-300, if you can stand the wait, or the SVS PB-12, or the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, which is sort of a VTF3 clone.

I dont have a problem with dropping that much on a sub, but I would not be able to do it right now. If I were to go with a $500-$600 sub (is it really worth it by the way, over a ~$300 sub?), I would have to get the p362s and C350 now, and the sub and surrounds later when I can afford them.

So NOW it's really a question of long term vs short term gratification.

short term, I'd get the fronts + cheaper sub.
long term it would be fronts + center, expensive sub later.

I think I should probably go with whats better in the long run.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-14-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 516
There is most definitely a difference between a cheap sub and a good one. A more powerful sub will pressurize your room better, so there is less likely to be bass nulls and dead spots. A better sub will be able to articulate really deep sounds, rather than just produce a boomy noise or have a muddy rumble. It will also integrate with your setup better, unlike cheap ones which call attention to themselves and will stand out whenever they make noise. You'll be doing yourself a favor by holding out for a good subwoofer. When you do jump for one, be sure to look in the subwoofer forum, you will save a lot of money and also get a lot helpful advice.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-14-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
My living room is very close to the size of yours. When considering a sub you should take into consideration the total area once all the doors are shut and you will be sitting down to a movie. A sub will interact with more space than all the rest of your speakers put together. My LR is open on one side - the rest is closed off and the Infinity PS212 does an good job - but not great. Just as in speakers power isn't everything - but it helps. The PS212 would probably work fairly well IF you don't have lots of open space surrounding your listening space.
I just bought an Elemental Designs A5-350 - I'll get it in about 2 weeks. The PS212 will be moved into the bedroom and share space with all the other recently cast-off gear. In a sealed room like that I expect it will be able to peel the paint!

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #11 of 11 Old 08-14-2009, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thats incredibly helpful, thanks guys.

My LR actually opens up to the dining room on one side, so theres definitely open space around the listening area, and the total area with all the doors closed is larger than the dimensions I listed.

I'll be getting the fronts and center and hold out for a good sub.

Thanks again.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page