post #91 of 106 Old 02-09-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Those who think that a Yugo is a good car should go ahead and drive one.

Those who think that Bose speakers sound good should listen to them.

I'll drive my Corvette and listen to my Vandersteen and PSB speakers and I could care less what they do; no skin off my backside.

Some people even like overcooked spinach....

I'd rather drive my GT-R off topic....but could not resist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 106 Old 02-10-2012, 04:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Does anyone know if the newest version of the 901's design would be so different than one purchased in the mid 90s that the speaker would sound completely different?

In my experience, I had the 901 Series III where the driver surrounds dry-rotted. Bose replaced my Series III with Series VI. No difference in sound. Only minor cosmetic changes on the cabinets and EQ.
post #93 of 106 Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey Folks - Tone Audio review!

Also lots of chatter going on at the steve hoffman forums..

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #94 of 106 Old 02-17-2013, 02:23 AM

Liked: 10
Interesting thread! Many comments about Bose 901's lack of imaging specificity. Some even saying live concerts present highly discreet image placement. Wow. Not my experience at all...not by a long shot.
I agree that the 901 does not produce pinpoint imaging to the degree a directional speaker will, but I will disagree that pinpoint imaging is "realistic". The thing is, the visual dominates the aural, and when watching a concert, you can see where soloists and sections are arranged, but the vision is "helping" the brain's aural processing to locate the sound. Try listening with your eyes closed. In my experience, while the sound stays the same, my perception becomes much less specific as to the exact placement of musicians in the acoustic. Even in smaller venues and with relatively close proximity to performers, this concept of pinpoint imaging is exposed to be unrealistic...nothing more than an artifact of " directional stereo" sound.

In a nutshell, "conventional" 2-channel sound has become it's own absolute to many people. They expect/hope their systems will sound like the best systems they have heard, which were probably directional stereo systems, too.

But, of course...if you like that kind of thing, go for it. smile.gif
post #95 of 106 Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat56 View Post

Interesting thread! Many comments about Bose 901's lack of imaging specificity. Some even saying live concerts present highly discreet image placement. Wow. Not my experience at all...not by a long shot.
I agree that the 901 does not produce pinpoint imaging to the degree a directional speaker will, but I will disagree that pinpoint imaging is "realistic". The thing is, the visual dominates the aural, and when watching a concert, you can see where soloists and sections are arranged, but the vision is "helping" the brain's aural processing to locate the sound. Try listening with your eyes closed. In my experience, while the sound stays the same, my perception becomes much less specific as to the exact placement of musicians in the acoustic. Even in smaller venues and with relatively close proximity to performers, this concept of pinpoint imaging is exposed to be unrealistic...nothing more than an artifact of " directional stereo" sound.

In a nutshell, "conventional" 2-channel sound has become it's own absolute to many people. They expect/hope their systems will sound like the best systems they have heard, which were probably directional stereo systems, too.

But, of course...if you like that kind of thing, go for it. smile.gif

I would agree with you, still would like to see a product update from Bose.

post #96 of 106 Old 08-13-2013, 08:47 PM

You go ahead and dont listen bash bose people who dont like bose are cheap and foolish all the idiots out ther who think ther sony or samsung soundbars hold up with bose try again Ive tryd out samsung sony HK SB 16 and sb 30. Drum roll pleasee. BOSE IS THE UNDISPUTED CHAMPION THEEE END bose 1sr the best sound bar there is and bose is still a great company mayb alil behind sonos new techs but ALWAYS BOSE HAS THE POWER
post #97 of 106 Old 08-14-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppauly27 View Post

You go ahead and dont listen bash bose people who dont like bose are cheap and foolish all the idiots out ther who think ther sony or samsung soundbars hold up with bose try again Ive tryd out samsung sony HK SB 16 and sb 30. Drum roll pleasee. BOSE IS THE UNDISPUTED CHAMPION THEEE END bose 1sr the best sound bar there is and bose is still a great company mayb alil behind sonos new techs but ALWAYS BOSE HAS THE POWER
Ah yes, another one post wonder Bose troll. mad.gif
I will grant that their sound is right on par with your English language skills. rolleyes.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #98 of 106 Old 08-14-2013, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Bill, I would just let the post stand as an indicator for what kind of person sppauly27 is.

post #99 of 106 Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOOBillO0o View Post

Bill, I would just let the post stand as an indicator for what kind of person sppauly27 is.
If it wasn't the middle of August I'd have said he was a 5th grader, texting while goofing off in class. cool.gif
OTOH, he could be in summer school, not having passed 5th grade English. biggrin.gif
oOOBillO0o likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #100 of 106 Old 10-14-2013, 09:29 PM

Hi,
I am trying to connect a Bose 901 series V speakers to a Sony STR DN1000 receiver.. I am not able to figure out how to connect the Bose EQ adapter..In y old pre-amp it was possible. Any clues or help is appreciated. Thanks.
post #101 of 106 Old 10-15-2013, 11:48 AM

Liked: 11

On my old Sony receiver with my series IV it was not possible...I can't quite remember why though, it was their design though.....I worked with Sony support to no avail...sorry I don't have more...hopefully things have changed with them...

post #102 of 106 Old 10-15-2013, 12:40 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by infoman7 View Post

The Bose 901 Speakers are fantastic speakers.

Even a 75 wpc receiver can make them sound good but at 85 wpc they will scream.

I didn't participate in this discussion first time through, however post #1 caught my eye today. 75w is good, but with 85 watts they scream ... ! This is quote worthy, sorry, funny stuff.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #103 of 106 Old 02-09-2014, 10:15 PM

I know this is an old thread but I have a question if anyone is willing to help me out. I've been an A/V tech at a local high end audio store for over 10 years. We sell B&W, Definitive Tech, Denon, Marantz, Integra, Pioneer, etc. Even though we don't sell Bose, I've hooked up my share of Bose surround systems over the years, the ones with the cube speakers, and always thought they were fine, but I didn't consider them in the same league as B&W or Def Tech. My question is, this past weekend I hooked up a pair of Bose 901s that a customer had to his existing Integra 30.2. He had the EQ that comes with the 901s but I didn't hook it up because honestly I didn't really understand what it was (I thought it was just an old EQ that wasn't needed). So should I go back to this guys house and hook this thing up? The 901s actually brought me around to Bose. I don't know if the EQ is essential or not bit I was really impressed with the speakers as the were, it even convinced me to go home and hook up a pair of Bose 2.2s that I acquired a couple years ago and I've really been enjoying them, a definite step up from the old JBLs I had in my living room. Sorry for the long winded post and thanks in advance for any help.
post #104 of 106 Old 02-10-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 73
If you have the equalizer that is specific to the model series in question, use it. As you may know the 901 series had a number of iterations, and virtually all of them came with their own corresponding equalizer.

The 901s need that equalizer to compensate for the limitations imposed by using multiple 4.5 inch speakers to reproduce the full range of frequencies. Even with equalization it is a bit shy at the higher frequencies.
calidan777 likes this.
post #105 of 106 Old 02-10-2014, 10:10 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I'd agree. They need all the help they can get, ... they'd sound better with the EQ.

IIRC, Bose still supports the series with updated info, pdf docs, etc. (ha, just looked, these are still made/sold, shows you what I know! as much as is said about Bose, I find it remarkable these are still offered, pretty cool really).

I don't recall the EQ curves, but it likely boosts both the bass and the top end. It also may have a high pass filter for protection too, ... and with the higher levels of deep bass energy associated with contemporary material (relative to when these came out), they could use the protection.

Whether the EQ is essential, I'd say some type of EQ is essential for every system.
calidan777 likes this.

Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #106 of 106 Old 02-10-2014, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the replies, I've contacted the customer and setup a time for me to go by and hook the EQ up, thanks again for the help.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bose

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page