BOSE 901 (Bose 901s) Speakers - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #121 of 133 Old 06-10-2016, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked: 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
...I remember Epicure's model Twenty Plus using a similar direct/reflected method off the ceiling.
Funny, my 901's were always hung from the ceiling.

From a now eviscerated review: "...I must say that I have never heard a speaker system in my own home which could surpass, or even equal, the Bose 901 for overall realism of sound."
-Julian Hirsch, Stereo Review

They were good enough for Zappa and Crimson to use at the front of the stage; doubt they were paid for an endorsement, could be wrong.

Owned a pair of Allison 6 bookshelves that had a similar config to the Epicures; enjoyed those for 20+ years.

Last edited by bmcn; 06-10-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 133 Old 07-10-2016, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to use 901 for a 7.1 system, I now use a pair as center and another pair for front right and front left. I use a separate amp for them. My main amp is a pioneer elite sc09 receiver. Any body used these speakers for rear or surround. This amp is a 10.2. I love 901's . So I want to buy 2 more pairs and use them. But would like to know if anyone has used them for rear
post #123 of 133 Old 11-21-2016, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Considering a pair of these because I like the retro look which fits my home perfectly and they have garnered as much praise as criticism; which is oddly alluring! lol. My question is what modern receiver or processor/amp combination would work with these speakers. I was considering a Yamaha or Onkyo processor/amp setup, but I'm confused as to how to wire the whole thing or if these modern processors even have the necessary connections. Getting the speakers for a steal from a neighbor, but want to know if they only work in stereo with an older equipment or can be integrated as Front and Left channel speakers in a 5.2.4 setup for example. Can someone provide me a diagram showing exactly how to achieve this and perhaps list a couple of new receivers and/or processors that will work with the Bose Equalizer and 901 speakers.

Thank you!!

post #124 of 133 Old 11-21-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 290
First, you'll need to check each of the 18 drivers to make sure they're still OK (no buzzing, wear, etc.)

When you're ready to hook them up, consider an AVR with preamp outputs for an outboard power amplifier, as for optimum operation these things require more power than most AVRs can provide. However, with modern AVR bass management and powered subwoofers, offloading the bass load to the subwoofers and configuring them as "SMALL" will help a lot and they may be OK with just AVR power.

For movies, consider adding a conventional Center Channel speaker (direct, no reflect), as dialogue will benefit.

Last edited by PrimeTime; 11-21-2016 at 08:01 AM.
post #125 of 133 Old 11-21-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked: 1750
Most modern AVRs no longer have the "tape loop" connections (input and output) required for the 901's processor box, meaning you'll most likely need a model with preamp outputs and a separate power amp. You'll have to do some research to see what might work. Or just buy an older used receiver if you are into retro stuff. Don't forget the shag carpet.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #126 of 133 Old 11-21-2016, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 290
^ Yes, that's a good point about the Tape Monitor function.

I have a Pioneer 5.1 AVR that's about 14 years old. It has Tape Monitor, along with discrete input jacks (no preamp outs). This was just before HDMI, so no HDMI. My point being, the older Craigslist AVRs have bass management and tape monitor loops. Depending on your needs, it still might be worth a look, as you can buy those for very little. Depends on your needs/uses.

I think that Tape Monitor Loops were eliminated when HD (component, then HDMI) was introduced.

Last edited by PrimeTime; 11-21-2016 at 03:38 PM.
post #127 of 133 Old 12-07-2016, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by infoman7 View Post
re: Bose 901 Speakers<br><br>
There are just too many incorrect statements about Bose 901 or 901s. The Bose 901 Speakers are fantastic speakers. True there are many other good speakers too. Yes, the Bose 901s do require a special EQ. The EQ is not hard to hook up but does require a Pre-In/Out or a Tape Monitor. Most older recerivers have these but many newer ones do not. The best newer ones do and you can find newer receivers that have them.<br><br>
All models of the Bose 901s are good but MY personal preference is the 901 Series II or the 901 Series I (Series 2 or Series 1). These speakers do not require maintenance because they have cloth surrounds instead of foam.<br><br>
There is a hugh Myth about the power needed for Bose 901s. You do need power but the amount of power needed is not as much as many claim. I have run my Series 1 and 2s (which require the MOSt power) ... I have run them using a Marantz 2285 2285b or 70 Kenwood 85 wpc receivers and they will flat out crank. Yes the more power the better but with my Marantz 2285 I can get them to Scream loud enought to shake the walls and feel the music. Near deafining sound volume. They sound great. Even a 75 wpc receiver can make them sound good but at 85 wpc they will scream. Yes, if you go over 120 WPC you can really get them loud. As for the highs and lows, they sound just great for most music. I also use them for TV and Movies and you really don't need sound sound if you are using the BOSE 901s. You if you want to get is exact to movie theatre then you need 7.1 etc... But my two Bose 901 make moovies sounds GREAT and really don't want all those little speakers of wall speakers you can't take when you move. The new FOOL your EARS systems are cool but you can't feel the music like you can with the 901s. So I hope this has answered some questions. There are always Bose bashers out there and they are those that say you MUSt have 250 wpc of power But I have found they sound great with a vintage 85 wpc receiver and will cause you to need a hearing aid if you go to a 185 wpc receiver. As for a receiver to go with the 901s ... Harmon kardon makes one with tape monitor ... the new BIG receivers usually have pre-out/in. For Vintage Marantz, Kenwood, Poineer ... is FINE.<br><br>
ENJOY
I have a new Marantz 7011 and am trying to incorporate my 901s as my front L & R speakers w/the equalizer. I am currently using them as my front L & R speaker but w/o the equalizer. I really like the sound better with the EQ. A couple of posts in response to my postings have said it is possible, even explained that the equalizer had to go between the receiver and the 901s but indicated I would need an additional amp. I had one so I wired the 901s to the extra amp. Then I couldn't figure where to connect the RCA connections from the EQ to the receiver. There are RCA audio ins that are assignable and also a pre-out but I have not idea if they will work together in a surround system. I can easily connect the EQ to the pre-out but not sure how to approach the assignable audio ins as each one is labeled CD, BR, etc. Does this mean Bose would only work as part of the surround system when I was playing a CD, BR, or which ever one is connected and assigned. I would like for it to be in use all the time if possible.

Any specific help would be much appreciated!!
Thanks
post #128 of 133 Old 12-07-2016, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Bose 901s to Marantz 7011

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoman7 View Post
re: Bose 901 Speakers<br><br>
There are just too many incorrect statements about Bose 901 or 901s. The Bose 901 Speakers are fantastic speakers. True there are many other good speakers too. Yes, the Bose 901s do require a special EQ. The EQ is not hard to hook up but does require a Pre-In/Out or a Tape Monitor. Most older recerivers have these but many newer ones do not. The best newer ones do and you can find newer receivers that have them.<br><br>
All models of the Bose 901s are good but MY personal preference is the 901 Series II or the 901 Series I (Series 2 or Series 1). These speakers do not require maintenance because they have cloth surrounds instead of foam.<br><br>
There is a hugh Myth about the power needed for Bose 901s. You do need power but the amount of power needed is not as much as many claim. I have run my Series 1 and 2s (which require the MOSt power) ... I have run them using a Marantz 2285 2285b or 70 Kenwood 85 wpc receivers and they will flat out crank. Yes the more power the better but with my Marantz 2285 I can get them to Scream loud enought to shake the walls and feel the music. Near deafining sound volume. They sound great. Even a 75 wpc receiver can make them sound good but at 85 wpc they will scream. Yes, if you go over 120 WPC you can really get them loud. As for the highs and lows, they sound just great for most music. I also use them for TV and Movies and you really don't need sound sound if you are using the BOSE 901s. You if you want to get is exact to movie theatre then you need 7.1 etc... But my two Bose 901 make moovies sounds GREAT and really don't want all those little speakers of wall speakers you can't take when you move. The new FOOL your EARS systems are cool but you can't feel the music like you can with the 901s. So I hope this has answered some questions. There are always Bose bashers out there and they are those that say you MUSt have 250 wpc of power But I have found they sound great with a vintage 85 wpc receiver and will cause you to need a hearing aid if you go to a 185 wpc receiver. As for a receiver to go with the 901s ... Harmon kardon makes one with tape monitor ... the new BIG receivers usually have pre-out/in. For Vintage Marantz, Kenwood, Poineer ... is FINE.<br><br>
ENJOY
I have a new Marantz 7011 and am trying to incorporate my 901s as my front L & R speakers w/the equalizer. I am currently using them as my front L & R speaker but w/o the equalizer. I really like the sound better with the EQ. A couple of posts in response to my postings have said it is possible, even explained that the equalizer had to go between the receiver and the 901s but indicated I would need an additional amp. I had one so I wired the 901s to the extra amp. Then I couldn't figure where to connect the RCA connections from the EQ to the receiver. There are RCA audio ins that are assignable and also a pre-out but I have not idea if they will work together in a surround system. I can easily connect the EQ to the pre-out but not sure how to approach the assignable audio ins as each one is labeled CD, BR, etc. Does this mean Bose would only work as part of the surround system when I was playing a CD, BR, or which ever one is connected and assigned. I would like for it to be in use all the time if possible.

Any specific help would be much appreciated!!
Thanks
post #129 of 133 Old 12-08-2016, 03:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 3094
James: If memory serves me, Bose has pretty good customer service (it's been many moons ago that I had the Series II's). Give them a call and see what they come up with as far as hooking up the active equalizer to the equipment you have, or what they would suggest you need to get it to work. Without that equalizer, the 901’s suck. You might also look for some old used receivers or preamplifiers with the tape loop function.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #130 of 133 Old 12-08-2016, 07:45 AM

AVR preamp outputs -> BOSE EQ input -> BOSE EQ outputs -> external amp inputs -> external amp outputs -> BOSE 901 speakers

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #131 of 133 Old 12-08-2016, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 3094
Leave it to Don . I swear, that man knows more about the speakers I've owned (including my current ones) than I'll ever know....

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #132 of 133 Old 12-08-2016, 12:38 PM

Thanks, never actually owned 901's but had them in my system for a while (like many other speakers) and dealt with many of them for friends and such. I did get to meet Dr. Bose a few times. I owned a pair of C800's, which are essentially 901's in a road cabinet without the front-firing speaker. I faced the drivers at the audience and used them as midrange speakers with separate woofer and tweeter cabinets.

The 901's intrinsic frequency response is such that it will fool most room correction programs into treating them as "small" with a pretty high crossover. It is fundamentally an array of midrange drivers so the un-EQ'd -3 dB point is pretty high, and the AVR does not know there are enough drivers to handle a large bass boost. The Bose EQ applies a huge "smiley" curve to pull up the bass and treble. The boost is large, 20~25 dB at frequency extremes IIRC (have the curve someplace but not at work), so actually exceeds the capability of some AVR's EQ range even if you readjust levels to get as much range as possible for the 901's. Far better to use the Bose EQ box.

HTH - Don
bmcn likes this.

post #133 of 133 Old 12-08-2016, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked: 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Thanks, never actually owned 901's but had them in my system for a while (like many other speakers) and dealt with many of them for friends and such. I did get to meet Dr. Bose a few times. I owned a pair of C800's, which are essentially 901's in a road cabinet without the front-firing speaker...
Attended several concerts in the early 70's where the performers, including Zappa, used the C800's as stage monitors. Series 2's equalizer had 5 HF settings and had a nice walnut cover matching the speaker cabinets; owners manual included a graph of the "contours."

Bose Mountain was the former site of Framingham's garbage dump and Dr. Bose, an interesting guy, willed a large percentage of his net worth to MIT.

Good times.

Last edited by bmcn; 12-09-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Bose

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page