Klipsch RF-82 VS Energy RC-70 or other $1000 fronts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-22-2009, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Every body

OK ... I want front speakers for my room ( 10 X 16 X 9 )"not good room i know" where the TV And speakers will be on the 10' wall, and I have $1500 for fronts and center

this weekend I'll try to listen to the RF-82 but i guess I wont be able to hear the RC-70 because they are not available close to me.

so... what do u thing guys of the two speakers... oh, I'll use them 70/30 for HT/music.

the speakers will be in 5.1 setup but I want to get the fronts and center first ( the most important part) then I'll get the match surrounds for them

so which one will sound better ( with the match center & surrounds), energy RC-70 or Klipsch RF-82

if there is any other options for $1000 .. u r more than welcome to mention

by the way ... the receiver will be Onkyo 806 or 876

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-22-2009, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
rc70 from vanns is a great value.. $2k/pair floors for only ~$1k

later on you can add a RCLCR center and RC10 for surrounds for about $600 more
post #3 of 13 Old 09-22-2009, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post

rc70 from vanns is a great value.. $2k/pair floors for only ~$1k

later on you can add a RCLCR center and RC10 for surrounds for about $600 more

right .... i was about to get the RF-82, until i saw the RC-70 on vanns for 499 each ...

I know that the RC-70 are good but because I didn't try them in person I'm not sure .. i hear good things about them though

but I still dont know if I'll like them more than the klipsch RF-82 ( which i will try this week )

thanks for your replay
post #4 of 13 Old 09-22-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've had the Rf82s returned them and stepped up to the Rocket RS850-same price range with the huge sales, $999 this week, but a much higher quality speaker that retails for 2k. The RF82s were good speakers,but the bright highs just weren't for me.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-22-2009, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post

I've had the Rf82s returned them and stepped up to the Rocket RS850-same price range with the huge sales, $999 this week, but a much higher quality speaker that retails for 2k. The RF82s were good speakers,but the bright highs just weren't for me.

ahaaaa.......... thanks for ur replay
I personally dont like very bright sound ... i lean more to speakers with warm sound and bass that's why i thought 2 8" drivers in the rf82 will give me that

but if the rocket sounds better ( warmer with more bass ) i think it'll be a good choice.

thanks again
post #6 of 13 Old 09-22-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
if you don't like "bright" then go with the RC-70's. Klipsch and Energy have very different sounds, the RC's are very laid back speakers that tend slightly to the warm side of neutral, but they are not "warm" in the sense that they get mushy and blur out the treble, they still have a lot of detail and separation. The tweeter is very smooth but still crisp.

Klipsch's on the other hand tend to be known as "bright" speakers due to their horn tweeters. It makes them very efficient and some people love the way it helps HT dynamics, but IMHO it's not good for 2-ch music (too fatiguing).

However, that being said, you are the only person who can judge this. Both options are excellent and the "better" one will be purely subjective. Vann's has a return policy, so my suggestion is to go listen to the Klipsch's and order the RC-70's (while they are still on sale and before they run out of stock) and see which one YOU like better. Worst case scenario you pay return shipping to send back the RC-70's, but you will have learned a lot and had a fun time playing around with some great speakers.

BTW here are a few reviews of RC-70 (all with measurements):

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc70.htm

http://www.hometheatermag.com/floorl...ers/507energy/

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/speakersystems/306energy/

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 PM

My vote is for the RC-70's of those 2, I am not a big fan of the Klipsch sound, bright fails to describe it for me .... searing might be a better description. I would seriously recommend giving them a listen before buying, Klipsch has a very unique sound some people like it, but I find it to be a turnoff.

The Polk Rti A7 might also be worth a look in your price range.

The Infinity Primus P362 is a little less than what you were looking to spend, but might also be a speaker you would find to be competitive with the ones you were looking at.

*Edit* Actually looking at the reviews that were posted for the RC-70's and the sale they are on, I think they would likely be the way to go here.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-23-2009, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

I was going to get the rc-70 and wen i went o vanns to order them ....... they were on order ( coming soon )

so do you recommend to wait until it's available or do you have any other speakers for my budget .....

also .... i want to mention that i listen to almost any thing ( pop and RnB mainly, and classic ) and any good music

i'd like to have speakers with good soundstage&imaging

so.... any recommendation

thanks
post #9 of 13 Old 09-23-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
you can still get the RC-50 (basically the same speaker but minus the dedicated midrange, it has similar bass and overall tone, just not quite the same amount of detail/separation due to not having the full 3-way design). For HT they should be virtually identical, the difference would mostly be heard in critical 2-ch music listening. Honestly, your room is pretty small so the RC-50 will still plenty of speaker.

The RC-50 and RC-LCR package is $1000 shipped from Vann's. Then you can devote more $$ to the subwoofer

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #10 of 13 Old 09-23-2009, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

you can still get the RC-50 (basically the same speaker but minus the dedicated midrange, it has similar bass and overall tone, just not quite the same amount of detail/separation due to not having the full 3-way design). For HT they should be virtually identical, the difference would mostly be heard in critical 2-ch music listening. Honestly, your room is pretty small so the RC-50 will still plenty of speaker.

The RC-50 and RC-LCR package is $1000 shipped from Vann's. Then you can devote more $$ to the subwoofer

good point ... thanks....

but i rally wanna get something that i can use for some years even after i move to bigger room

and for the sub .... i have around $1000-$800 budget for it and i think i'll by ed a5-350 or a7s-450

so i think i'll wait and think again (maybe the rc70 will be in stock again for the same price)

thanks....
post #11 of 13 Old 09-23-2009, 10:34 PM

The Polk and Infinity speakers I mentioned both have a very good rep around here, and are Fine speakers, Having said that the RC-70 look like a major deal at $1000, and are likely worth waiting for.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 AM

In my case I went with the RC-70's for the fronts. Had to RMA one because of a cracked veneer but I can say they do sound quite good, but not a sound similar to the Klipsch's. The Klipsch's from what I have heard have a harsher tweeter and it is alot more picky about room positioning as well. This was a couple years back but I compared them to the Paradigm Monitor 11's and the Paradigm's just seemed like a better overall speaker.

Comparing the RC-70's to Monitor 11's would be hard for me give a good comparison at this time because of different room and eq setup's. Let's say this if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change my choice. Only thing is a I need a bigger place These beasts are overkill for where I am at.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-04-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have my RC-70's in a room that is a little bigger than yours with a 14 foot vaulted ceiling (bonus room). 20 x 15 with the T.V. / speakers on the wide (20foot) side, open on one side.

The RC70's fill that room very nicely, and get very very loud. The RC-50's would also do the trick actually (I've heard them too and almost bought those, but at the time they weren't on sale and 70's were only $100 more).

Batpigs description of them are bang on. I'll go a bit further though, the RC line really has stunning imaging, it provided almost a 3d type sound field (which is strange for a speaker tha is not an omnipolar design) as comapred to other speakers of similar configuration.

They're also very neutral. I think they're great for just about any application. One person here was once not happy with them though, albeit for home theatre use.

The comments he made was mostly around broken glass. He said when watching a movie and an explosion happens or something else that would cause glass to shatter, he didn't 'feel' it from those (RC) speakers. It didn't sound like breaking glass. I would imagine you'd get that from the Klipsch speakers though, based on their upper sonic characteristics.

That just goes to show you what some people like or don't like about speakers. If you like a fuller, richer, smoother sound, but don't want to lose any detail, the RC line would fit your tastes (as would a lot of other speakers).

If you want something in your face and up front, which a lot of people prefer for strictly movies, then the Klispch would be more to your liking.

Neither is right or wrong as it's personal preference. It sounds like from your post you might be an RC type of guy, but if you can, you should hear both for yourself (get the RC-50's if you can't wait for the 70's) and then let your own ears judge.

Best of luck!

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page