Need advice on getting my first Quality sound system. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-29-2009, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see this question or similar to it is asked regular so I hope though with my question or situation you guys can help with my more specific interests.

Budget I want to stay around $2,000

Room Size apprx 15x15 (bedroom) but same setup will be used when I get apt which would be small also.

I am thinking 80% of the systems usage would go to listening to music and more specifically Death Metal. The other use would be in movies and some other genres of music.

Right now I have nothing so the budget amount will be for everything.
I went to my only local audio store yesterday and the guy showed me the
Onkyo HT-S9100THX and I thought it sounded good for $1,000. It was a 7 speaker setup but I was only thinking 5.1 but can two be left off for space reasons?

I was looking at the B&W 686 fronts and Paradigm Atom or Mini Monitors.
Marantz receiver I was thinking of NR1501 or SR5003 or dealer said INERTA sp?

I also read that in my music interest I need a GOOD sub since there is alot of fast hard bass?

Any suggestions on what speakers or components to get or look at? I will try to stick to the brands my local guy has but I don't have to.

Thanks Larry
Mobile, Alabama

My small equipment list in on profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-29-2009, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
A $2,000 budget isn't much if you want a $1000 receiver and good sound. An entry level audiophile quality sub can run you $800-$1200, and you still need to budget $400-600 for an OK pair of floorstanders and probably around $200 a pop for the other speakers for the system.

You might be better off getting a $500-$700 receiver since you don't need all kinds of moviemodes and other stuff, and focus the rest on speakers and your sub.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-29-2009, 05:07 AM

You're right about the sub. The best value out there is Hsu subs. The Hsu VTF-2 MK-3 will rock the pictures off your walls (especially in a room that size) for $549.00.

Infinity Primus is a good choice for the other five speakers. Very well-regarded sonically and affordable. You can definitely put together a nice 5 speaker system for <1K.

Couple the above with a mid-level Onkyo or Marantz receiver and you'll be very happy.

A good rule of thumb is to plan to spend about 2-3 times the cost of your receiver on the speakers, so with your budget I'd avoid dropping 1K on the one you mentioned. The Onkyo TX-SR607 will power the above system nicely and can be found new online for <$500.
post #4 of 14 Old 09-29-2009, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I would go with the Denon AVR-1910 ($400 app). It has the best room EQ (MultiEQ) in its price bracket and all of the newest gizmos you will need. Denon also puts out good power, something close to its stated. Besides Onkyo, no one hits even close to their stated numbers 5 channels driven.

Infinity Primus is a great suggestion modoheo and I second it. The Tower P362 ($400 approx), Center pc350 ($150) and P162 ($200 approx). That is $1150 before sub and cables. I ran Infinity for years and I just love the sound they produce. The above system used to sell for double its current price. One of the best values in speakers today.

Subs like the HSU mentioned are good. Another is av123's MFW-15 ($700) that was designed by Mark Seaton (genius with sub development). Epik Subwoofer's Sentinel ($649 right now on sale, usually $800). Subs are very important and good money should be spent. When you reach $500-$700 you can get some very good subs. I would go to the sub forum if you really want to research. All of the ones I mentioned are very good and would probably be overkill for your situation. They will easily handle the tight bass you are looking for which many lesser subs would not.

For cables go to monoprice (they are a sponsor at the top of the forum). Look for 14 gauge or 16 gauge wire since you will have short runs. HDMI cables are very cheap there as well.

Good luck. Welcome to the club.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #5 of 14 Old 09-29-2009, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 446
I can't add much to what these guys have said. Hsu subs, Infinity primus speakers, those are very good suggestions. I would also look into BIC Acoustech speakers, Klipsch towers, and Hsu Bookshelfs; they are all high efficiency, energetic speakers. Hsu has a sale on their bookshelf speakers right now, it's well worth looking into, given your tastes. Their subs will kick your ass too. Other worthwhile subs to look into are Epik subwoofers, Elemental Designs, Outlaw Audio, SVS, and Rythmik. A good place to get great deals on receivers is Accessories4less.com.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-29-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:

I was looking at the B&W 686 fronts and Paradigm Atom or Mini Monitors.
Marantz receiver I was thinking of NR1501 or SR5003 or dealer said INERTA sp?

I would take the 5003 over the 1501 because of the lack of connections on the slimline 1501 plus the 5003 has Audyssey MultiEQ room calibration. The 5003 has 7.1 preamp outputs in case you need to add an external amp later down the road. You should be able to find the 5003 under $500 now.

I think your dealer was referring to INTEGRA which is an upscale Onkyo brand.

Afro GT
post #7 of 14 Old 09-29-2009, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so far everyone.

I have suggestion of Denon, Marantz, and Onkyo receivers. My dealer suggested Integra. I have no idea if one if better than another.

Woofers I am considering the HSU VTF-MK3 and EPIK Sentinel.

Blu-Ray player I am thinking PS3.

Buy wires and such at monoprice.com

Speakers I am looking at Paradigm Atoms, Infinity Primus, HSU (The Enthusiast 2 package)

Any more suggestions?

post #8 of 14 Old 09-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

I think the Onkyo recievers give you good bang for your buck. As for speakers, take a look here http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...22,71,279.aspx
post #9 of 14 Old 09-29-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by opiy View Post

Thanks so far everyone.

I have suggestion of Denon, Marantz, and Onkyo receivers. My dealer suggested Integra. I have no idea if one if better than another.

"Onkyo" and "Integra" are the same, more or less.

You might want to look at closeout Denon AVR-2809s or AVR-989's. They have the latest/greatest Audyssey room correction, and will be cheaper than other options. You could likely get one of those and the Hsu package for your 2k budget.

And ask Hsu if they will replace their marketing center with a proper center, i.e. a third bookshelf speaker, which you will then use at the same height and in the same orientation as your left and right speakers. Toppled-MTM centers are worthless hacks, and you should avoid any front speaker set that locks you into such a monstrosity. Even if the cost to you is the same, the sonic results will be much superior.

Other speakers to look at, if they will fit the budget, are KEF's Q-series. Or even the KEF sets with the egg-shaped satellites. HTS3005 or something like that. Also, check the big auction site for Tannoy Arena sets. Those are among the few good-sounding compact speaker sets, and the industrial design is superb. The subwoofer is even competent, and when you upgrade to multiple subs at some point the Tannoy sub will be good-looking enough to use as your high-mounted sub...

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #10 of 14 Old 09-29-2009, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't agree with that, DS-21, about the Hsu center. The HC-1 is a very good speaker, at least as good as the HB-1, if not better. I know from experience. I think that either would serve fine as not only a center channel, but any other channel besides. Some have accused the center MTM design of being a poor compromise, but I have heard many excellent centers using this configuration. Perhaps in a perfect listening environment they would not be the ideal speaker for that role, but how man of us have a perfect listening environment?

Also, opiy, if the dealer is suggesting Paradigm Atoms, I wouldn't pay to much attention to him. They are good speakers I am sure, but with smaller woofers, smaller cabinet, and less sensitivity, they will not rock as hard as the Infinities and Hsu's. If I were a dealer, I would have steered you straight to the Klipsch section, they will get incredibly loud and still sound crystal clear.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-29-2009, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I don't agree with that, DS-21, about the Hsu center. The HC-1 is a very good speaker, at least as good as the HB-1, if not better. I know from experience. I think that either would serve fine as not only a center channel, but any other channel besides. Some have accused the center MTM design of being a poor compromise, but I have heard many excellent centers using this configuration.

I don't disagree with you (or agree with you, because I don't know the crossover design or have any measurements that would allow me to say one way or the other) that the HC-1, oriented in the only sane direction to orient an MTM - vertically - might be the best choice for all three front channels. With twice the woofer area, it will have greater lower midrange headroom than the single-woofer HB-1.

But your post only tells me that you, like most people unfortunately, have not heard a properly set up front stage. It is unfortunate that people have such low standards, and "high end" audio manufacturers have such low scruples, that toppled-MTM centers still dominate the scene.

What a Hsu representative says about the two speakers may be useful here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post

P.S. Provided that one doesn't have a height restriction, for best performance I always recommend that one use our bookshelf speaker oriented vertically for use as a center

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #12 of 14 Old 09-30-2009, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

If you are inclined to use the HB-1 as a center, I don't think you really even have to use it vertically. For horizontal use, just take the tweeter out and rotate it 90 degrees. I have some HC-1s which I am using vertically, and that's what I did because the tweeters come configured for horizontal use. It only takes a philips head screwdriver and 5 minutes, and It's easy to do because the tweeters are bisymmetricaly installed on the case.

I really doubt that anyone could hear a significant difference whether they are used horizontally or vertically, as long as the tweeters are adjusted correctly.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-30-2009, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

I plan to go by the audio store today with my CD that I made of a few select songs to see how things sound. I don't even think most of the stuff listed here he carries but I will make a list and see what he can do.

What are some good online dealers you guys like to shop at for your audio needs? I have seen B&H Photo which I have used alot and is a good store but are there any others? I guess it does depend on what I am looking for too.

post #14 of 14 Old 09-30-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

For your cables go to www.monoprice.com. Never buy your cables at best buy. Next to monoprice, even radio shack is over-priced.

I have done business with J&R Electronics with no problems. Also Amazon, of course.

A place to get really good deals on receivers is Accessories4less.com. Crazy good discounts on refurbished and discontinued receivers.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page