Pinnacle Speakers ( Official Page ) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 321 Old 01-25-2014, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm afraid to plug it in directly considering the caps blew up last time..or when I first got it...the plug for the sub has no grounding prong either...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 321 Old 01-25-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 408
My Hsu subs have none either, it's the way some are made. You have to plug it in sometime, they stood behind it once and will probably do so again IMO.
post #273 of 321 Old 01-25-2014, 02:00 PM

So should it be making noise every time it plugs in and turns off?
post #274 of 321 Old 01-25-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbaduchi View Post

So should it be making noise every time it plugs in and turns off?

How do you have it connected, through the sub output on your AVR via the RCA jack?
post #275 of 321 Old 01-25-2014, 04:12 PM

Sub pre out
post #276 of 321 Old 01-25-2014, 09:44 PM

There are no rca stereo inputs on the ps225 just an lfe in
post #277 of 321 Old 01-25-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are no rca stereo inputs on the ps225 just an lfe in

Yes the LFE but it's an RCA plug. Something is wrong it shouldn't be making noises turning on and off. Try keeping the volume on your AVR turned down low when powering on and off. Maybe contact Pinnacle and ask them what's going on.
post #278 of 321 Old 01-25-2014, 10:57 PM

Correct...I'm going to try a different outlet in my house as well.. my house is old (1955) so some of the outlets are not grounded some are new wiring some are old etc... I haven't had any issues with any equipment until this sub though.. I've had my tv and dvr on this same circut for over a year with no problems...
post #279 of 321 Old 01-25-2014, 10:59 PM

And yeah it makes noise turning on and off wether plugged into a live source or not...
post #280 of 321 Old 01-26-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Correct...I'm going to try a different outlet in my house as well.. my house is old (1955) so some of the outlets are not grounded some are new wiring some are old etc... I haven't had any issues with any equipment until this sub though.. I've had my tv and dvr on this same circut for over a year with no problems...

That has to be annoyying. Please post about your expirience when you change outlets buti still recommendgetting ahold of Pinncle customer support.

One of my subs used to do this as well inelieveit was a older JBLI had.
post #281 of 321 Old 01-26-2014, 08:46 AM

Same results..different outlets..with and without surge and without a connected source...I've sent an email outlining my concerns.
post #282 of 321 Old 01-26-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Same results..different outlets..with and without surge and without a connected source...I've sent an email outlining my concerns.

Good, they should be able to help.
post #283 of 321 Old 01-27-2014, 03:34 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingshane View Post

Just picked up a pair of mint Classic Gold Aerogels from the original owner. Wow, these are truly amazing, I knew nothing of Pinnacle until I found these gems, they are 10 years old but you wouldn't know it. Truly a full range speaker, low frequency extension is incredible!!! These things are monoliths and built like a tank. I wish I could hear some of Pinnacle's new offerings but it seems they don't have many dealers. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Classic Gold CC for a matching setup

Bump!!

If you're ever looking to unload those aerogels, send me a PM. MY current 5.1 setup consists of the Pinnacle Gold Towers, the Classic Gold Center and AC-800's in the rear, all being driven by a Sunfire 200-5. As much as I love my Towers, I'm hoping to upgrade to the aerogels when the opportunity presents itself.
post #284 of 321 Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6viking View Post

Bump!!

If you're ever looking to unload those aerogels, send me a PM. MY current 5.1 setup consists of the Pinnacle Gold Towers, the Classic Gold Center and AC-800's in the rear, all being driven by a Sunfire 200-5. As much as I love my Towers, I'm hoping to upgrade to the aerogels when the opportunity presents itself.

It's nice to see some happy Pinnacle owners!
post #285 of 321 Old 01-28-2014, 11:47 AM

The response I just received from pinnacle....

"It is common for there to be a DC discharge when the preamp section's symmetrical power supply becomes asymmetrical at turn on and turn off.  This is normal.  The reason for the delay in turn off is that the power supply has to discharge.  The surge protector is probably not necessary for a device with a transformer type linear power supply as the transformer will absorb most surges.  A surge protector is needed much more when you have sensitive electronics that use switch mode supplies like computers and televisions.  The surge protector's presence is not a factor in the pop noise.Thank you,

Collin Black Pinnacle Speakers Service Department 131 Main Street Hatfield, MA 01038 413.247.3231"
post #286 of 321 Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Pinnacle Speakers on sale (I look at these "sale" prices as their real prices though)...

http://www.woot.com/plus/pinnacle-speakers-14
post #287 of 321 Old 01-28-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The response I just received from pinnacle....

"It is common for there to be a DC discharge when the preamp section's symmetrical power supply becomes asymmetrical at turn on and turn off.  This is normal.  The reason for the delay in turn off is that the power supply has to discharge.  The surge protector is probably not necessary for a device with a transformer type linear power supply as the transformer will absorb most surges.  A surge protector is needed much more when you have sensitive electronics that use switch mode supplies like computers and televisions.  The surge protector's presence is not a factor in the pop noise.Thank you,

Collin Black Pinnacle Speakers Service Department 131 Main Street Hatfield, MA 01038 413.247.3231"

At least you know it's normal.
post #288 of 321 Old 01-28-2014, 02:08 PM

Yeah that's all I was really looking for...to make sure it's ok and not doing something abnormal..the odd thing is that the protection light on the surge protector came back on randomly after being plugged in for awhile..it operated normally until a Dolby digital enders game trailer on vudu last night that had some extreme lows...that seemed to click it off...but the protection light clicked back on again...
comfynumb likes this.
post #289 of 321 Old 02-12-2014, 04:08 AM

Liked: 10

Pinnacle speakers on sale -  http://tech.woot.com/plus/pinnacle-speakers-15

Also, I am finally creating my first home theater system and have the Yamaha 675 AVR but now am looking for speakers for a 15x15 living room. The problem is that I have no clue what to look for in a 5.1 setup that can be used for movies, music, tv, etc for under $700. Any advice?

Woot has Pinnacle MB 11500 set for 400 but I am not familiar with that brand.

Any help is appreciated.

post #290 of 321 Old 02-12-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitome1170 View Post

Pinnacle speakers on sale -  http://tech.woot.com/plus/pinnacle-speakers-15

Also, I am finally creating my first home theater system and have the Yamaha 675 AVR but now am looking for speakers for a 15x15 living room. The problem is that I have no clue what to look for in a 5.1 setup that can be used for movies, music, tv, etc for under $700. Any advice?

Woot has Pinnacle MB 11500 set for 400 but I am not familiar with that brand.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi,
I can try and give you some suggestions. The best thing to do would be to figure out if you want your main speakers to be large or small. If you have the room, I've always liked a tower speaker for the mains, but some good bookshelf/monitor coupled with a sub can be nearly as good IMO.

The next thing I would do is match the power rating of your AVR up with different speakers so you give yourself some choices.

I'll look up the specs on your AVR, so if you'd like my opinion post a couple of links for speakers your considering. Maybe others will chime in also, but there's not much activity on this thread.

Edit;
Is your AVR the RX V675?

I'd try to stay with a fairly sensitive 8ohm speaker so you can drive them easily.
post #291 of 321 Old 02-12-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Hi,
I can try and give you some suggestions. The best thing to do would be to figure out if you want your main speakers to be large or small. If you have the room, I've always liked a tower speaker for the mains, but some good bookshelf/monitor coupled with a sub can be nearly as good IMO.

The next thing I would do is match the power rating of your AVR up with different speakers so you give yourself some choices.

I'll look up the specs on your AVR, so if you'd like my opinion post a couple of links for speakers your considering. Maybe others will chime in also, but there's not much activity on this thread.

Edit;
Is your AVR the RX V675?

I'd try to stay with a fairly sensitive 8ohm speaker so you can drive them easily.

Yes, it is the Yamaha RX-V675.

• 105 W per channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 2 ch driven)
  • 90 W per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09% THD, 2 ch driven)
post #292 of 321 Old 02-12-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it is the Yamaha RX-V675.

• 105 W per channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 2 ch driven)

• 90 W per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09% THD, 2 ch driven)

Ok gotcha. One thing I'll say is make sure your dealing with an authorized Pinnacle dealer and I don't think woot is one, are they?
post #293 of 321 Old 02-12-2014, 07:16 AM

I thought they are as woot is part of Amazon who I think is.  

My question... are pinnacle speakers a decent quality?  I honestly have never heard of the brand before.  

post #294 of 321 Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Just and FYI, WOOT was acquired by Amazon and is now a subsidiary of Amazon used as a clearance site. Many manufactures off-load their excess product through WOOT.

I have purchased Pinnacle speakers from WOOT for my sons room and they were dropped shipped directly from Pinnacle. I checked and the warranty is intact (you can call Pinnacle to make sure). In the past, I also picked up a pair of computer speakers from Audyssey for my sons computer through WOOT and it was actually advertised on the Audyssey as a clearance through WOOT with a full warranty.

Now - back on topic. I got the BD 500 and matching center BD300 from WOOT for my sons room. For the price on WOOT, it's very hard to beat (only $200 for the pair of BD 500) and they are pretty easy to drive (for his bedroom, which is not that large) with a lower priced Denon AVR (1912). You should have no problem driving them with your AVR, they have a sensitivity of 93 db. Also, do use a sub with them (as you should with any bookshelf speaker).

At their MSRP price, I would not buy them, too much competition there (they 'list' for $600/pair). But at $200/pair you can't even buy the drivers and XO's & box materials, so it's a steal. They have a very nice finish if you like gloss black. They have had some decent reviews. Here is their website:

http://pinnaclespeakers.com/bd500_ii.html
comfynumb likes this.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #295 of 321 Old 02-12-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Admittedly I know squat about woot biggrin.gif

So are they an authorized dealer or offering their own warranty?
post #296 of 321 Old 02-12-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought they are as woot is part of Amazon who I think is.  

My question... are pinnacle speakers a decent quality?  I honestly have never heard of the brand before.  

I have their BD-650's and they rock and IMO compliment my Revel mains very well. One of the best $1,000 a pair and under monitors I've heard, and handle my 200 WPC Sunfire amp no problem.

Edit;
Yes my Christmas tree is down now biggrin.gif
cavchameleon likes this.
post #297 of 321 Old 02-12-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

Just and FYI, WOOT was acquired by Amazon and is now a subsidiary of Amazon used as a clearance site. Many manufactures off-load their excess product through WOOT.

I have purchased Pinnacle speakers from WOOT for my sons room and they were dropped shipped directly from Pinnacle. I checked and the warranty is intact (you can call Pinnacle to make sure). In the past, I also picked up a pair of computer speakers from Audyssey for my sons computer through WOOT and it was actually advertised on the Audyssey as a clearance through WOOT with a full warranty.

Now - back on topic. I got the BD 500 and matching center BD300 from WOOT for my sons room. For the price on WOOT, it's very hard to beat (only $200 for the pair of BD 500) and they are pretty easy to drive (for his bedroom, which is not that large) with a lower priced Denon AVR (1912). You should have no problem driving them with your AVR, they have a sensitivity of 93 db. Also, do use a sub with them (as you should with any bookshelf speaker).

At their MSRP price, I would not buy them, too much competition there (they 'list' for $600/pair). But at $200/pair you can't even buy the drivers and XO's & box materials, so it's a steal. They have a very nice finish if you like gloss black. They have had some decent reviews. Here is their website:

http://pinnaclespeakers.com/bd500_ii.html

Thanks, so I am having a hard time finding spec information on the speakers for the MB 11500+ (even on the pinnacle website). I realize they are comprised of components, but are these components the BD500 Series II, etc or is it a different component?

post #298 of 321 Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Admittedly I know squat about woot biggrin.gif

So are they an authorized dealer or offering their own warranty?

Well, WOOT is not exactly an authorized dealer, Manufactures and Authorized dealers use it as a clearance site for over stock items. The warranties still come from the manufactures. Hope that's clear. I've purchased a lot through WOOT with no issues, and it's easy to return if defective (it's an Amazon store).

Ray

post #299 of 321 Old 02-12-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have their BD-650's and they rock and IMO compliment my Revel mains very well. One of the best $1,000 a pair and under monitors I've heard, and handle my 200 WPC Sunfire amp no problem.

Edit;
Yes my Christmas tree is down now biggrin.gif

I Agree!!! The speakers are actually pretty good. I wish they were sealed and not ported, but for the prices sold through WOOT, they just can't be beat. Here is a pic of the front stage of my Son's room. They are up high so his friends don't go poking them, he's very good with electronics and taking care of them (and only 7yo).

His room is actually all black since it's a planetarium (total top is covered with stars and planets).

Ray

post #300 of 321 Old 02-12-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, so I am having a hard time finding spec information on the speakers for the MB 11500+ (even on the pinnacle website). I realize they are comprised of components, but are these components the BD500 Series II, etc or is it a different component?

It looks like the components are made up of the following:

BD 200 (for fronts and center)
http://pinnaclespeakers.com/bd200_ii.html

System Type: 3-Element, 2-Way, 2nd Order Acoustic Suspension

Component Drivers:

1" liquid cooled silk dome tweeter with neodymium magnet
(2) 3" polymer cone woofers with butyl surrounds
Frequency Response: 100 - 20 kHz (+/- 3 dB)

Frequency Range @ -6db: Low: 95 Hz, High: 22kHz

Crossover Frequencies: 5 kHz

Maximum Power Handling: 200 Watts Peak

Sensitivity: 91 dB @ 1 Watt / 0.5 Meter (2.83 Volts Pink Noise)

Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms

Dimensions: 4 13/16" Wide x 11 3/4" High x 6 7/8" Deep (with Grille)

Finish: High gloss piano black

Weight: 7 lbs. each

BD 100 (I'm using these for the surrounds in my son's room, pretty good for that if your room is not too large).
http://pinnaclespeakers.com/bd100_ii.html

Component Drivers:

1" liquid cooled silk dome tweeter with neodymium magnet
3" polymer cone woofer with butyl surround
Frequency Response: 100 - 20 kHz (+/- 3 dB)

Frequency Range @ -6dB: Low: 95 Hz, High: 22 kHz

Crossover Frequency: 5 kHz

Maximum Power Handling: 125 Watts Peak

Sensitivity: 90 dB @ 1 Watt / 0.5 Meter (2.83 Volts Pink Noise)

Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms

Dimensions: 4 13/16" Wide x 7 9/16" High x 6 3/4" Deep (with Grille)

Finish: High gloss piano black

Weight: 4 lbs. each

Sub looks like their value series sub, the PS Sub 225
http://pinnaclespeakers.com/acsub125.html
It's not one of their good subs IMO. You need to get into their Sonic or Rhino series to get their good ones. Their SubCompact series are also good for very small subs (they are SMALL).
epitome1170 likes this.

Ray

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page