Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

It looks like the components are made up of the following:

BD 200 (for fronts and center)
http://pinnaclespeakers.com/bd200_ii.html

System Type: 3-Element, 2-Way, 2nd Order Acoustic Suspension

Component Drivers:

1" liquid cooled silk dome tweeter with neodymium magnet
(2) 3" polymer cone woofers with butyl surrounds
Frequency Response: 100 - 20 kHz (+/- 3 dB)

Frequency Range @ -6db: Low: 95 Hz, High: 22kHz

Crossover Frequencies: 5 kHz

Maximum Power Handling: 200 Watts Peak

Sensitivity: 91 dB @ 1 Watt / 0.5 Meter (2.83 Volts Pink Noise)

Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms

Dimensions: 4 13/16" Wide x 11 3/4" High x 6 7/8" Deep (with Grille)

Finish: High gloss piano black

Weight: 7 lbs. each

BD 100 (I'm using these for the surrounds in my son's room, pretty good for that if your room is not too large).
http://pinnaclespeakers.com/bd100_ii.html

Component Drivers:

1" liquid cooled silk dome tweeter with neodymium magnet
3" polymer cone woofer with butyl surround
Frequency Response: 100 - 20 kHz (+/- 3 dB)

Frequency Range @ -6dB: Low: 95 Hz, High: 22 kHz

Crossover Frequency: 5 kHz

Maximum Power Handling: 125 Watts Peak

Sensitivity: 90 dB @ 1 Watt / 0.5 Meter (2.83 Volts Pink Noise)

Dimensions: 4 13/16" Wide x 7 9/16" High x 6 3/4" Deep (with Grille)

Finish: High gloss piano black

Weight: 4 lbs. each

Sub looks like their value series sub, the PS Sub 225
http://pinnaclespeakers.com/acsub125.html
It's not one of their good subs IMO. You need to get into their Sonic or Rhino series to get their good ones. Their SubCompact series are also good for very small subs (they are SMALL).

Thank you for the great advice and help.  Looks like I will not be going in that direction.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 314 Old 02-12-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by epitome1170 View Post

Thank you for the great advice and help.  Looks like I will not be going in that direction.

No problem. I just looked at the WOOT link and it's $400 for the system, pretty good. But, if you have the funds, I'd be better to go with the BD500 all the way around and a better sub.
AS confynumb suggest, a tower may be the way to go, but cost a lot more. WOOT has the BD 2500 on sale, pretty good specs. And you could hold of on a sub temporarily.

System Type: 3-Way, 4-Element, 4th Order Front Vented
Component Drivers:
1" liquid cooled modified silk domed horn (dhorm) tweeter for efficiency and accurate reproduction of the most sensitive nuances of the recording. Ultra compact, high-powered rare earth neodymium magnet. Precision, pressure-fit mounting system for a neat and clean look.
4" midrange with polypropylene cone material. Lightweight and strong for enhanced accuracy and power handling. Butyl rubber surround for enhanced excursion and smooth response. Zinc plated die cast phase plug improves crossover function by suppressing upper harmonic resonance modes.
(2) 6.5" woofers with polypropylene cone material. Lightweight and strong for enhanced accuracy and power handling. Butyl rubber surrounds for enhanced excursion and smooth response. Solid die cast baskets diminish resonance.
Frequency Response: 30 Hz - 25 kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Operative Power Range: 25 - 250 Watts, 400 Watts Peak
Sensitivity: 94 dB @ 1 Watt / 0.5 Meter (2.83 Volts Pink Noise)
Dimensions: 7 7/8" Wide x 39" High x 14 3/8" Deep (with Grille and Isolation Cones attached)
Finish: High Gloss Piano Black
Weight: 50 lbs

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #303 of 314 Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:

I Agree!!! The speakers are actually pretty good. I wish they were sealed and not ported, but for the prices sold through WOOT, they just can't be beat. Here is a pic of the front stage of my Son's room. They are up high so his friends don't go poking them, he's very good with electronics and taking care of them (and only 7yo).

His room is actually all black since it's a planetarium (total top is covered with stars and planets).

I'll have to keep Woot in mind.

They look great and are a great value IMO.

My black diamond piano finish takes a week to make in the factory. I just thought that was awesome for the price. They look so good I caught my daughter putting her makeup on using it instead of the mirror biggrin.gif
post #304 of 314 Old 02-12-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I'll have to keep Woot in mind.

They look great and are a great value IMO.

My black diamond piano finish takes a week to make in the factory. I just thought that was awesome for the price. They look so good I caught my daughter putting her makeup on using it instead of the mirror biggrin.gif

Ha, that's funny. They are very well finished and very shiny. I also have NHT's and the finish on them (the Classic series, not the Super Zero) is better (smoother and more refined). But, I like the way Pinnacle does their grills with metal pegs instead of plastic with most other manufactures use. The NHT's are also more solid: example, the Classic 2 and the BD 500 are in the same class (same size, two diver). The BD 500 is 18lbs/pr, the Classic 2 is 16lbs each (so 32lbs/pr).

Having said that, at sale prices, the Pinnacles are great bargains!!! You get a lot of speaker for the money and they sound great. They also have sensitivity going for them (The NHT Fours are 86db while the Pinnacle BD 2500 is 94db). The difference is pretty huge (8db, like quadrupling the power of the AVR/AMP). It really comes down to what people want. I've always preferred sealed speaker designs for the most part. Pinnacle speakers can easily compete with other brands within their class/price range but they are not advertised well so are not well known (as is NHT which is purchased mostly ID). There are many others that compete in this range like Aperion Audio, SVS, PSB, Paradigm, etc. It's a hard market, LOTS of great speakers at pretty much the same price which is why I always recommend that buyers go out and listen to them if at all possible since it's the most subjective part of the audio chain. Electronics within the same price range pretty much sounds the same (disregarding room correction differences), but speakers really do have an acoustic signature. I've actually heard some VERY expensive ones I did not prefer (and some that were absolutely incredible also).

Ray

post #305 of 314 Old 02-12-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ha, that's funny. They are very well finished and very shiny. I also have NHT's and the finish on them (the Classic series, not the Super Zero) is better (smoother and more refined). But, I like the way Pinnacle does their grills with metal pegs instead of plastic with most other manufactures use. The NHT's are also more solid: example, the Classic 2 and the BD 500 are in the same class (same size, two diver). The BD 500 is 18lbs/pr, the Classic 2 is 16lbs each (so 32lbs/pr).

Having said that, at sale prices, the Pinnacles are great bargains!!! You get a lot of speaker for the money and they sound great. They also have sensitivity going for them (The NHT Fours are 86db while the Pinnacle BD 2500 is 94db). The difference is pretty huge (8db, like quadrupling the power of the AVR/AMP). It really comes down to what people want. I've always preferred sealed speaker designs for the most part. Pinnacle speakers can easily compete with other brands within their class/price range but they are not advertised well so are not well known (as is NHT which is purchased mostly ID). There are many others that compete in this range like Aperion Audio, SVS, PSB, Paradigm, etc. It's a hard market, LOTS of great speakers at pretty much the same price which is why I always recommend that buyers go out and listen to them if at all possible since it's the most subjective part of the audio chain. Electronics within the same price range pretty much sounds the same (disregarding room correction differences), but speakers really do have an acoustic signature. I've actually heard some VERY expensive ones I did not prefer (and some that were absolutely incredible also).

I agree they are well built and the grills are NOT coming off easily.

I've never heard the NHT's they sound nice.

It seems like you get a lot for the money with the Pinnacle's.

Have you ever heard their black diamond towers?
post #306 of 314 Old 02-12-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I agree they are well built and the grills are NOT coming off easily.

I've never heard the NHT's they sound nice.

It seems like you get a lot for the money with the Pinnacle's.

Have you ever heard their black diamond towers?

I've heard most of the Pinnacle speakers, but not the flagship 2500. They all sound pretty good. Yes, NHT's are very good sounding and very accurate. Their Classic Three and the Four Tower have all metal drivers (the Fours actually is a four-way system and can easily reach 25 Hz in room (they are spec'ed at 27Hz in an anechoic chamber). They play very accurately and clean - one of my favorite speakers in it's price range (all of their speakers are very good for their price). You don't see the massive sales like Pinnacle, but the Fours normal price is $1200, which can compete with any tower in that price range (and up from there a bit).
comfynumb likes this.

Ray

post #307 of 314 Old 02-16-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've heard most of the Pinnacle speakers, but not the flagship 2500. They all sound pretty good. Yes, NHT's are very good sounding and very accurate. Their Classic Three and the Four Tower have all metal drivers (the Fours actually is a four-way system and can easily reach 25 Hz in room (they are spec'ed at 27Hz in an anechoic chamber). They play very accurately and clean - one of my favorite speakers in it's price range (all of their speakers are very good for their price). You don't see the massive sales like Pinnacle, but the Fours normal price is $1200, which can compete with any tower in that price range (and up from there a bit).

You definitely know more about them than I do.

I would like to here a set of their good towers.
post #308 of 314 Old 03-10-2014, 08:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbaduchi View Post

So should it be making noise every time it plugs in and turns off?

As I understand it that 'Value Series' sub does not have the auto-off feature employed on their higher end models: http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/subwoofers.html

FWIW, you should know that most auto-off circuits only mute the amplifier outputs and do not actually save any real power (they're on all the time waiting for a signal) and they do have some downsides such as delayed activation and turn-on 'pops' (the only reason yours is popping is you are disconnecting the power to it...or your receiver has a 'pop' on its Sub Out when turned on/off).  The standby power draw of those amps is ~5 Watts (~3 cents per day) so if the 'pop' is an issue it would seem best to just leave the sub plugged in / left on.  :)

my .02,

b

post #309 of 314 Old 04-23-2014, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello guys:

Anyone can give an opinion on the Pinnacle 5 - Element? Are they shielded, how good are they? Woot has a good price on them and wondering if they are worth it.

Thanks!
post #310 of 314 Old 04-23-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post

Hello guys:

Anyone can give an opinion on the Pinnacle 5 - Element? Are they shielded, how good are they? Woot has a good price on them and wondering if they are worth it.

Thanks!

I don't see any reviews for those on their website but they look like vinyl versions of the prior BDC1200 which are reviewed here: http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/revu_bdc1200.html

Website doesn't mention shielding but that's only really needed with older tube TVs; modern flat screens aren't vulnerable to magnetic fields & don't need shielded speakers afaik.

b

post #311 of 314 Old 04-25-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittania View Post

I don't see any reviews for those on their website but they look like vinyl versions of the prior BDC1200 which are reviewed here: http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/revu_bdc1200.html
Website doesn't mention shielding but that's only really needed with older tube TVs; modern flat screens aren't vulnerable to magnetic fields & don't need shielded speakers afaik.
b

Thanks Pal. They definitely have same specs, with only difference that the Element has butyl surrounds and the BDC has rubber surrounds. Does it make a difference? Oh, and is the Element biampable? The Amazon page says it is but can´t find it anywhere on the Pinnacle webpage.

Thanks!
post #312 of 314 Old 04-25-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post

Thanks Pal. They definitely have same specs, with only difference that the Element has butyl surrounds and the BDC has rubber surrounds. Does it make a difference? Oh, and is the Element biampable? The Amazon page says it is but can´t find it anywhere on the Pinnacle webpage.

Thanks!

Butyl is rubber. I'd trust the manufacturer's webpage specs more then Amazon's so probably not.

post #313 of 314 Old 04-25-2014, 02:39 PM

Thanks Brittania, just ordered a pair of 5-Element Tower Speakers from Woot. Will let you all know about them as soon as I test them.

Have a blast!
post #314 of 314 Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I just completed my review of the BD 500 bookshelf speakers. Overall I think they are great little speakers.

http://averagejoeaudiophile.blogspot.com/2014/05/review-pinnacle-bd-500-everyone-needs.html

Link to speaker disassembly and graphs

Pinnacle BD 500 and Definitive Technology SM 350

My first review of speakers that maybe considered to be of the true “budget audiophile” grade. Both of them have been found on sale recently. The Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 350's were found on Newegg on sale with a $50 manufacturer rebate which brought the total price before tax and shipping to $129.99 and the Pinnacle DB 500 which has been found on Woot.com regularly over the past year for $200.00. Both speakers are of very good build quality, very nice high gloss piano black finishes on both. The Pinnacle BD 500's finish is exceptionally good with a mirror like level of gloss to it. The BD 500's do feel rather light for even their small size. And the very scientific knuckle rap gives off a slightly hollow sound, which was surprising compared to the quality of their finish. However, internally they are well stuffed with high quality dampening material.

Acoustic Guitars - Arabesque – 5 Effiel Both speakers kept great pace with the fast guitar plucking, and most of the quick bass notes. The SM 350s were significantly louder in the direct AB testing. They also felt more detailed and crisp. The BD 500 were smoother and mellower; but do begin to come a live a little more as the volume increases. At lower volumes the SM 350's had a stronger center image, but the BD 500 again improved as the volume went up.

Audioslave – Cochise The BD 500's were more subdued though out the range; but Chris Cornell's vocals were slightly better pronounced and were never hidden under the brighter tweeter found on the SM 350s. There was bit more presence and detail to the 50 second long intro with the SM 350's. It felt like it was filled with more excitement and anticipation.

Bruno Mars – When I Was Your Man The SM 350s provided a very strong center image and the BD 500 were not far behind. I think the brighter tweeter in the SM 350 might have been a little forward and with a touch of reverb or distress or an almost echo like quality; it wasn't strong but it was there, most notable from 0:39 – 0:45. The piano sounded nice and solid across both speakers with the BD 500 maintaining its overall more mellow and less in your face sound.

Cee-Lo Green – Closet Freak Now with the first test of deep bass. Neither speaker was very impressive or could reproduce the depth nor the volume of bass that this song requires. Again the brighter tweeter on the SM 350 becomes noticeable with a reoccurring bell throughout the song, but they also handled the high pitch of Cee-Lo's voice a litter better. Probably the most fun part of the song from 2:00 – 2:28 was handled better on the SM 350's. It was more fun and lively with particularly the impact of the horns was more noticeable. Both speakers handled the song well enough that enough though I've listened to this sound a million times, I picked up and heard back ground vocals that I have never noticed before.

Live – Dam at Otter Creek I was really pretty surprised with this song. Both speaker handled it very well. But I think this might have been a song where I would give the nod to the BD 500s. There is a lot going on in the guitar distortion and feed back in the song going on in the upper registers and the smoother more mellow tweeter of the BD 500 took the edge off a lot of it. Given that, during the AB testing the SM 350's would not have to be turned up as loud to get the same volume, so the brighter tweeter might be a bit less obvious. Both speakers handled the bass lines very well, solid drums and bass guitars all around.

The Verdict?

It's hard to pick a winner and I don't think there necessarily is one. They are both great speakers with their own unique characteristics. The SM 350 is a fantastic speaker at the sale price point and still great at its current retail as a discontinued line. It's very detailed, you wont miss a note anywhere; but I do think it's a little on the bright side. If you value that more detailed and intricate response this would be a good speaker to start to consider. The BD 500, a good bit smaller of a speaker lacks a little in the lower bass department and was a much more mellow and smoother sounding speaker overall; and I never encountered any harshness or fatigue while listening. It also beings to shine as the volume picks up.

My listening room is far from ideal, but it may capture a "real life" experience better than a properly treated room would. From the graph plots both inside and outside; there is a good hump at about 150hz (I'm not sure what happened @ 3 feet, my guess its some reflection that I didn't anticipate), I didn't play with any EQing but I would imagine that if this was hump turned down a little, it may liven up the sound a little bit. Either way, the BD 500's were great speakers.

I did feel like the SM 350's created stronger center image throughout all the testing. If given the opportunity I would recommend listing to both. For me personally, my tastes are currently leaning toward the Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350. I felt it to be more detailed, I could “see” things happening better and can live with a slightly bright tweeter.

I have used the Pinnacle BD 500 and matching center speaker as my 3.1 theater system and it has a performed great and I have really enjoyed them. It's been a tough decision and I did a lot of listening to both sets, but I'm starting to collect a few too many shiny black boxes so the Pinnacles will be on the market soon so I can work through the other pairs of speakers currently collecting dust.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page