Pinnacle Speakers ( Official Page ) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 323 Old 05-24-2010, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys hopefully You will be enjoying your Pinnacle speakers as I am waiting for mine ... I got few questions here ...

1. Considering the specs of Pinnacle MB8000, will the Onkyo TX-SR607 be a good choice ...?
2. It's not THX certified, is this a big deal ...?
2. Onkyo TX-SR607 is a 7.2 so it means will I be able to connect another sub with it, in case MB8000 won't be able to shake the room ....?

I will be waiting for your response and please post your experience with the Pinnacle. Hopefully soon ironbadge will compare those
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 323 Old 05-26-2010, 07:09 AM

hey guys, so i finally received my receiver after a month of back and forth nonsense, every thing sounds great except the sub (have the mb 80000) seems to get pretty muddy, i dont know if i have a defective unit or not but it seems i have to turn it up just to get some decent thump out of it but when i do it gets muddy, like rattles. ive done audessy and every thing and even with those settings it still is muddy even when i turn it down some. is it maybe that the sub has to break in a little or do you guys think that i have a defective one.
thanks.
post #93 of 323 Old 05-26-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.37 View Post

Hey guys hopefully You will be enjoying your Pinnacle speakers as I am waiting for mine ... I got few questions here ...

1. Considering the specs of Pinnacle MB8000, will the Onkyo TX-SR607 be a good choice ...?
2. It's not THX certified, is this a big deal ...?
2. Onkyo TX-SR607 is a 7.2 so it means will I be able to connect another sub with it, in case MB8000 won't be able to shake the room ....?

I will be waiting for your response and please post your experience with the Pinnacle. Hopefully soon ironbadge will compare those

hey Mr. the onkyo 607 is a great receiver and ive herd pretty good things about it. i myself have a denon 1610 but i dont plan on ever needing 7.1(at least my setup now). having the option of two subs is always nice if it has all the features that you want, then go for it. my rule of thumb is to only buy a receiver that has all the options i need and dont give in to the extras i prob wont use, or if i will, how long it will be till i need them being theses things have update all the time. about the THX, i wouldnt put a whole lot of money into it, they are almost slapping a thx badge on anything these days. my best bet would to go to best buy or some other audio place and check out the receivers and listen to the different sound modes that they offer. for me, i like all the audessy sound modes on my denon.
post #94 of 323 Old 05-26-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo172008 View Post

hey guys, so i finally received my receiver after a month of back and forth nonsense, every thing sounds great except the sub (have the mb 80000) seems to get pretty muddy, i dont know if i have a defective unit or not but it seems i have to turn it up just to get some decent thump out of it but when i do it gets muddy, like rattles. ive done audessy and every thing and even with those settings it still is muddy even when i turn it down some. is it maybe that the sub has to break in a little or do you guys think that i have a defective one.
thanks.

Just a hunch based on what I read, but you probably have a defective sub. I will say the 8 inch driver is impressive, but it is not going to pound your heart out. What size is your room that the sub is in? Did you try moving the sub around (even a couple of inches helps).

My MB8000 sub sounds great, although the muddiness can occur if you overdrive it; however my listening room is 14*16 with 9 foot ceilings where I live currently and it has no problem filling that room with clean low bass (again it does not shake the whole house) but it sounds outstanding. The rattling you explain would concern me as I have never heard my sub "rattle" even when played extremely loud.

Also remember Audyssey calibrates at reference levels which sets the bass lower than some like. I hope this helps, but you may want to think about an exchange if moving the sub around for a couple of days does not work, always re-run audyssey any time you move the sub. If it continues to "rattle" send it back for an exchange, that is not normal.
post #95 of 323 Old 05-26-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisherofall View Post

Just a hunch based on what I read, but you probably have a defective sub. I will say the 8 inch driver is impressive, but it is not going to pound your heart out. What size is your room that the sub is in? Did you try moving the sub around (even a couple of inches helps).

My MB8000 sub sounds great, although the muddiness can occur if you overdrive it; however my listening room is 14*16 with 9 foot ceilings where I live currently and it has no problem filling that room with clean low bass (again it does not shake the whole house) but it sounds outstanding. The rattling you explain would concern me as I have never heard my sub "rattle" even when played extremely loud.

Also remember Audyssey calibrates at reference levels which sets the bass lower than some like. I hope this helps, but you may want to think about an exchange if moving the sub around for a couple of days does not work, always re-run audyssey any time you move the sub. If it continues to "rattle" send it back for an exchange, that is not normal.

thanks punish, ive been moving it around a little, but i havent had time to run audyssey yet, maybe tomorrow. my room is 13*23*9 but im only using about half that for the ht, do you think that my room might just be to big that the bass gets spread out too much? heck i was starting to think i should put some curtains up across the opening being the back speakers. what really worries me is that i believe the ratteling is the driver hitting the voice coil and in the long run, that will ruin it. and its not like im turing it up, i have yet to even touch the halfway mark and it still does it, i even lowered the crossover through the receiver and it still does it. so, i dont know, maybe its the fact that my rooms too big and i cant get any bass from it and i need a larger sub
thanks, lambo
post #96 of 323 Old 05-26-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo172008 View Post

thanks punish, ive been moving it around a little, but i havent had time to run audyssey yet, maybe tomorrow. my room is 13*23*9 but im only using about half that for the ht, do you think that my room might just be to big that the bass gets spread out too much? heck i was starting to think i should put some curtains up across the opening being the back speakers. what really worries me is that i believe the ratteling is the driver hitting the voice coil and in the long run, that will ruin it. and its not like im turing it up, i have yet to even touch the halfway mark and it still does it, i even lowered the crossover through the receiver and it still does it. so, i dont know, maybe its the fact that my rooms too big and i cant get any bass from it and i need a larger sub
thanks, lambo

You should not be getting a rattle at the volume gain not even 1/2 way. I can tell you I blasted my Denon avr-2807 (110 watts per channel) at -4db with that sub and it never faltered. I would get a replacement while you can. When the sub works properly it is impressive, but your room has alot more air space to deal with. I would think the curtain would help though, best of luck.
post #97 of 323 Old 05-26-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisherofall View Post

You should not be getting a rattle at the volume gain not even 1/2 way. I can tell you I blasted my Denon avr-2807 (110 watts per channel) at -4db with that sub and it never faltered. I would get a replacement while you can. When the sub works properly it is impressive, but your room has alot more air space to deal with. I would think the curtain would help though, best of luck.

ok i will try a couple more places tonight and if nothing, i will have to give dell a call tomorrow. but even in such a big room and with the more air to move, it still shouldnt rattle? the sad part is this is my second system from them as they replaced the last one because one of the nubs on the sub cover broke. im wondering if the subs are getting damaged in shipping.
post #98 of 323 Old 05-27-2010, 04:48 AM

I finally received the speakers today ... It's sad and scary to hear about lambo172008's sub, I wish I had some suggestion but I'm a novice. I hope you'll figureout a solution. Hopefully mine will work perfect. Now I have to order a receiver today, I made a final choice to buy Denon AVR 1910 but the only thing that is making me worry is A LOT of people say that Denon are very hard to configure/setup and I have 0.1% experience with receivers ... I don't know how I am gonna setup all that.

I have 30 days as return period so I want to fully test the system in two weeks. Any suggestions are welcome.
post #99 of 323 Old 05-27-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:

I finally received the speakers today ... It's sad and scary to hear about lambo172008's sub, I wish I had some suggestion but I'm a novice. I hope you'll figureout a solution. Hopefully mine will work perfect. Now I have to order a receiver today, I made a final choice to buy Denon AVR 1910 but the only thing that is making me worry is A LOT of people say that Denon are very hard to configure/setup and I have 0.1% experience with receivers ... I don't know how I am gonna setup all that.

I have 30 days as return period so I want to fully test the system in two weeks. Any suggestions are welcome.

helped me a ton!
http://batpigworld.com/
post #100 of 323 Old 05-27-2010, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey there, i've been reading threw all the replys and I am also looking at getting the mb8000 currently offered for 300 at dell. I have done a LOT of research, but reading only takes me so far. I am picky to a degree and can only do this once. Has anybody compared these to polk tsi series bookshelves? I dont have a best buy close by or any other home audio retailer. I guess a better question is what other system do these compare to? Klipsch hd 500 or 1000? Polk 5.1 set? I just need an idea. Also i am limited to where i can buy do to only haveing the dell account. Is the Sony STR-DH810 any good? I am looking for the new codecs and analog upscaling.
post #101 of 323 Old 05-27-2010, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
actually i was reading. I have a sony bravia kdl-46v4100 and i read it up-scales. Does it do this as efficiently as a receiver can?
post #102 of 323 Old 05-28-2010, 10:13 AM

hey guys, so the sub is bad, i tried a bunch of new positions and i still couldn't get any bass out of it without it rattling. so i called dell, my 21 day warranty was up so i was a little mad, so then i called pinnacle, and to my surprise, it was a pretty good experience. the guy i talked too knew what i was talking about and he believes its the woofer and they will just swap it out, and they pay for ups to pick up too. so even though ive had some problems, im still happy with my purchase and even happier that i know that if there's a problem, they'll take care of it.
post #103 of 323 Old 05-28-2010, 10:45 AM

I received the MB8000 system last week and hooked it up to an Onkyo TX-SR508. And it is pretty good.

The only downfall for my setup might be the cheap philips DVD player that i use for CD's and 12guage Cables from Monoprice. I ordered a Yamaha DVD/SACD player which comes next week.

You are most likely not going to have an epiphany but but there will be chills down your spine hehe. For $300 these speakers are a monster deal! (i paid $350 like 2 weeks ago lol, i might price match if i dont return them)

I am still playing with my settings on the receiver but I ran Audissey like 3 times so far and moved my system around (my room is almost empty right now lol 15x16x8.5). At first I thought the sub is just being ****** and muddy but Audissey did a really good job on the second run but the sub was still being muddy and overbearing.... so it was really annoying. I moved my setup against the wall instead of against the window and hooked up the rear speakers too. Ran Audissey again BUT this time i had my sub Volume at 1/4 not at 1/2 which was last time and Audissey gave me a +5db on the Sub and it sounds SIGINIFICANNTLY different. Now I have it at +2db.

The sound is clear and powerfull but not as clear as I want it to be (probably because of my crappy mp3 to cd conversrions and the ****** DVD player) The bass is good but it is still an 8" sub, but it fills my room real good and if you are upgrading form PC surround or TV speakers or other HTIB I think you will be very impressed. It does take some time to figure out how to setup the sub. I have mine sitting close to the center of the system and left speaker. My settings are 150Hz crossover (done trough the Reciever) and +2db and the volume knob on the sub is at about 1/4 from minimum (my speakers are at around -6 to -8db)

Music:I tested it with a bunch of music form my limited CD collection and I have and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" sent chills down my spine but there seems to be a soft noise coming to all my tracks out of somewhere and I cant tell if the speakers are very clear but I am very impressed.

Movie: I only watched one movie, Watchmen Collectors Edition DVD, last night and....... it was SOMETHING! The music the special effects, the rain were all there and very clear and at times i found myself turning down the volume, really impressed with the surround sound. The bass was awesome too and it did fill the room and it didn't seem underpowered or muddy but it wasn't breaking any windows either. I watched it in Dolby Digital. I think this system nails it for movies, really awesome, i cant believe i've been living without a surround system for movies.

Considering the price here is my score (so far considering the price):
Music: 7.5-8
Movies: 9
Bass: 8
Clarity: 7.5
Overall: 8.5 i think

Consider those "ratings" with my limited listening experiences experiences and the "garbage in, garbage out" factor of my CD/DVD player.

Considering all I've said all that Energy Speakers just sent Amazon 1000 units (according to the Amazon rep) of Energy Take Classic 5.1 system. It is some kind of a special order/edition and I've been looking for those speakers everywhere considering the raving reviews about them. The price is $400 and I ordered them as soon as i saw them but in order to get my money back for the Pinnacles MB8000 i have to send them back next week ........ it looks like i have a verry small window where I MIGHT be able to compare the two systems side by side.
Consider this....... I almost bought a very good condition used Energy Take Classic 5.1 set on ebay USED for $350 and a mint set for $500..... both sets went quick..... and you cant find them everywhere else now sice they got "discontinued"..... I really hope the reviews are right about them and I don't send my pinnacles back for no reason.

I really hope I get a small window to put both sets side by side and decide.

The MB8000 are real awesome btw.... i think they will be amazing for movies....
post #104 of 323 Old 05-28-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxgravediggerxz View Post

I received the MB8000 system last week and hooked it up to an Onkyo TX-SR508. And it is pretty good.

The only downfall for my setup might be the cheap philips DVD player that i use for CD's and 12guage Cables from Monoprice. I ordered a Yamaha DVD/SACD player which comes next week.

You are most likely not going to have an epiphany but but there will be chills down your spine hehe. For $300 these speakers are a monster deal! (i paid $350 like 2 weeks ago lol, i might price match if i dont return them)

I am still playing with my settings on the receiver but I ran Audissey like 3 times so far and moved my system around (my room is almost empty right now lol 15x16x8.5). At first I thought the sub is just being ****** and muddy but Audissey did a really good job on the second run but the sub was still being muddy and overbearing.... so it was really annoying. I moved my setup against the wall instead of against the window and hooked up the rear speakers too. Ran Audissey again BUT this time i had my sub Volume at 1/4 not at 1/2 which was last time and Audissey gave me a +5db on the Sub and it sounds SIGINIFICANNTLY different. Now I have it at +2db.

The sound is clear and powerfull but not as clear as I want it to be (probably because of my crappy mp3 to cd conversrions and the ****** DVD player) The bass is good but it is still an 8" sub, but it fills my room real good and if you are upgrading form PC surround or TV speakers or other HTIB I think you will be very impressed. It does take some time to figure out how to setup the sub. I have mine sitting close to the center of the system and left speaker. My settings are 150Hz crossover (done trough the Reciever) and +2db and the volume knob on the sub is at about 1/4 from minimum (my speakers are at around -6 to -8db)

Music:I tested it with a bunch of music form my limited CD collection and I have and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" sent chills down my spine but there seems to be a soft noise coming to all my tracks out of somewhere and I cant tell if the speakers are very clear but I am very impressed.

Movie: I only watched one movie, Watchmen Collectors Edition DVD, last night and....... it was SOMETHING! The music the special effects, the rain were all there and very clear and at times i found myself turning down the volume, really impressed with the surround sound. The bass was awesome too and it did fill the room and it didn't seem underpowered or muddy but it wasn't breaking any windows either. I watched it in Dolby Digital. I think this system nails it for movies, really awesome, i cant believe i've been living without a surround system for movies.

Considering the price here is my score (so far considering the price):
Music: 7.5-8
Movies: 9
Bass: 8
Clarity: 7.5
Overall: 8.5 i think

Consider those "ratings" with my limited listening experiences experiences and the "garbage in, garbage out" factor of my CD/DVD player.

Considering all I've said all that Energy Speakers just sent Amazon 1000 units (according to the Amazon rep) of Energy Take Classic 5.1 system. It is some kind of a special order/edition and I've been looking for those speakers everywhere considering the raving reviews about them. The price is $400 and I ordered them as soon as i saw them but in order to get my money back for the Pinnacles MB8000 i have to send them back next week ........ it looks like i have a verry small window where I MIGHT be able to compare the two systems side by side.
Consider this....... I almost bought a very good condition used Energy Take Classic 5.1 set on ebay USED for $350 and a mint set for $500..... both sets went quick..... and you cant find them everywhere else now sice they got "discontinued"..... I really hope the reviews are right about them and I don't send my pinnacles back for no reason.

I really hope I get a small window to put both sets side by side and decide.

The MB8000 are real awesome btw.... i think they will be amazing for movies....

I am glad you are enjoying the set-up. I moved my sub around and re-ran audyssey about 10 times before i found an optimal position. I agree completely with what you say, it is only an 8 inch driver, but as far as 8 inch drivers go it plays as deep and as loud as any I have heard.
With that being said I feel it is critical to find an optimal placement in your room because it is a small sub.

I will also stress what you stated that the sub needs to have the gain turned down to about 1/3 or 1/4 of the way... 1/2 way gave me like -9db on audyssey, 1/3 gave me -3 db and 1/4 was a perfect 0.

Once I optimized placement and got a perfect audyssey calibration (no noise floor) I was floored (pun intended). These speakers really do sound outstanding for their size and price point. I think some both music and movies sound equally impressive for my ears.

I hope your new set-up exceeds expectations for you, we all have different tastes right? Take care and I look forward to the review.
post #105 of 323 Old 05-28-2010, 07:58 PM

AaaaHhhhh Finally a nice review, Oh I have been waiting for that ....
I am glad to hear that those Pinnacle performed really good. I just got them 3 days ago and I saw a price drop ...

Hey zxgravediggerxz I have very limited knowledge regarding HT so I wanna know why are you preferring Energy Classics over MB8000 ... Considering the specs The energy has the less powerful sub, smaller satellite, same impedance ...?

I will be waiting for Your comparison of those two.
post #106 of 323 Old 05-29-2010, 01:46 PM

I actually JUST Got the Energy Takes and hooked them up..... right out of the box I would say they are a lot smaller than i thought and are smaller than the pinnacles but i think i can notice a better quality and clearness from them..... but i am not very sure. i've only listened to them for couple of hours.... I will write more tomorow or Monday I kinda want to "break them in".
post #107 of 323 Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 AM

Zxgravediggerxz
Now that you had a few days listening to both I would be interested in your comparison of the Energy's and Pinnacle's
post #108 of 323 Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 PM

ok.... I have been listening all night and I switched between the 5.1 configuration once (couple of days each) and 2.1 configuration one more time (one today).

Today I also went to my Audophile friend's house to listen to some stereo setups and it made me realize how inexperienced I am or that I am not that good at listening..... but anyways

I really need to go to bed and I don't have a lot of time right now but I just finished an "all night listening session" and just switched the 2.1 configurations (Pinnacle L/R + Sub vs Energy L/R + Sub).

Music Listening:
I think I can hear a lot more definition and clarity from the Energy Takes in music listening and they do sound larger than they look. There are a lot of subtle details that get picked up by those smaller speakers, you can distinctively hear many instruments while they are playing at once and everything is very clear and seems more natural. The Pinnacles sounded good and clear but immediately after i switched and played the same song on the Takes, I kept telling myself "oh, i didnt hear that before". I listened to everything from Rock and Rap to Classical and Jazz. The Energy Classics are perfect for Jazz or Classical..... even Rap pretty damn good, but Rock is just ok. I do not have to turn the Energy Takes on Very high to hear the subtle details while I had to crank up the Pinnacles to the max to hear all that I wanted and still felt like it was missing something. The difference is not huge but it is there and I think the Energy Takes are better for music if you want really good clarity and definition, also voice comes out really good. The Pinnacles are good too but I don't think they are as good as the Takes for music. The pinnacles (MB8000) are bigger and seem to have a slightly bigger stage but not by much.

Movies:
I think the Pinnacles are better for movies... I only watched one full movie (Watchmen) in 5.1 on them. I also compared them side by side with a part of the Animatrix when i swapped the 2.1 configurations (I did not disconnect the Energy center and rear speakers). The Pinnacle's slightly bigger size showed it's more powerful feature here. The Pinnacles seemed to fill the room better with more explosive sound that the Takes and seemed more "beefy" when there was shooting. The Takes were good and clear but were not as explosive as the Pinnacles. The Take's sound seemed to create the stage between the two speakers while the Pinnacles created a stage/shootout/explosion coming from the whole wall.

The subwoofers:
They both seem good. The Pinnacle Sub seems to go a bit lower but turn it's volume level up at middle or past and it will start to sound bad and muddy so turning up the volume wont get you better sounding explosions.... The Energy Sub is kinda the same way, turn it up too much and it will just hummm annoyingly with the slightest presence of bass. Once the two subs are setup at their "optimum" (optimum to me anyways) it seems that the Pinnacle wont show it's power until something big happens and the Take sub would be a bit more noticeable throughout (which is a good and a bad thing) but wont show up big when something big happens. Those are very subtle differences to me and both subs seem good for the size.

Conclusion Pinnacle vs Take:
The Energy Take Classics are better for Music and good for movies.
The Pinnacle MB8000 are great for movies but not as good for music.
Out of the box you'd be happy you bought either one. I got the Pinnacle's first and I was at "wow"..... than i got the Energy Takes..... and I thought they didnt sound as good.... but I was a bit used to the Pinnacles and turning them up to max..... I tried to "break in" the Takes.... and after two days of breaking in and plugging in the Pinnacles again I can say "wow the Takes are better for music"

I will go with the Takes since I want better music performance. They are so much cleaner and you can hear subtle details...... also after listening to my Audiophile's friend's system I think they are better choice for music and pick up a lot of detail...... well maybe not like his system but to me my $800 A/V setup is pretty damn good compared to "cheap" audiophile setups with $400 for pair of cables.

I am also big into movies and the Pinnacles would have been a slightly better choice for that.

Both Systems are pretty loud but I found myself maxing out my Reciever on the Pinnacles more times than on the Takes. I felt like i wanted to hear more and just drown myself in the sound and I felt like Max volume did it for the Pinnacles but I was good at 85-95% on the Takes (yes that last 5% or 2-3 subdivision on the dial make a HUGE difference)

I hope this helped. I am not that experienced so take this with a grain of salt. I really do with some magazine or reputable A/V site did a review on the MB8000's but no luck there.

My setup;
Onkyo TX-SR508
Wire: 12guage Monoprice
DVD/CD Player: Yamaha DVD-S1800BL 1080p Upconverting DVD SACD Player
Toshiba LCD.... 32in 1080p

pardon my spelling errors or punctuation..... I know there are probably a lot lol
post #109 of 323 Old 06-02-2010, 08:08 PM

Finally I've had a chance to hook up the Takes today.

I agree with zxgravediggerxz: the Takes sound louder and more details at same volume level. However, there are some aspects I would like to discuss.
1. The Takes' drivers are smaller than the Pinnacle's drivers. This means the Takes require lower power to scream.
2. The Pinnacles are "sealed" while the Takes are "ported." Again, the Pinnacles required more power to sound right.
That's why you need to crank up the volume a bit more to hear the Pinnacles' details.
3. To my untrained ears, the Takes sound brighter while the Pinnacles sound warmer.
4. To my untrained ears, the Pinnacles give better sound reproduction. Yes, the Takes sound louder (so you hear more things/details) but it seems to me that the Pinnacles sound more natural.
5. I use the Klipsch SW-350 with the Takes. I found the Pinnacles sub sound smoother and fuller across its range. However the Pinnacle sub has been played for several hours.
6. I believe each time you swap the two sets, you need to rerun Audyssey since the speakers are all different; otherwise they cannot sound as they should. I reran Audyssey each time I swapped the sets.

However, that's only my first impression. Both the Pinnacles and the Takes (and the Klipsch) still need more time to break in.
post #110 of 323 Old 06-02-2010, 08:27 PM

Ironbadge is absolutely correct,
It does not matter what speakers you swap out, always re-run audyssey; it calibrates according to the connected speakers dynamics.

I don't have the Energy Takes, but I do have the Pinnacles. My receiver is an older Denon 2807 with 110 watts per channel. I do always have my receiver between -36 and -28 on the gain setting for standard listening. At this level they sound great, however when I crank it on occasion to -18 or -12, they don't distort at all.

I have always found sealed drivers take more power, but to my ear they sound more natural at louder levels. I know the design of the port etc makes a difference, but I like sealed drivers.

Thought I would give my 2 cents anyway. If I were to rate my Pinnacle set up I would give it a 9.5 for music and a 9.5 for movies.
post #111 of 323 Old 06-22-2010, 10:15 PM

Did anyone compare these to Mirage MX 5.1 I am thinking between pinnacle MB8000 or Mirage Mx5.1.
post #112 of 323 Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i just bought a pan 50in 3d tv. whereas the pic is really nice the audio isnt. i saw the pio vsx-520-k on sale and grabbed it even before deciding on speakers. after reading this thread im leaning towards the mb8000. this is for a bedroom setup so i hope this isnt too much sound for it. i kinda like pinnacle stuff since i run 3 qp5 and 2 qp3 in my livingroom set up with a baby boomer for a sub. great for the movies..i love em.
post #113 of 323 Old 06-27-2010, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistre1 View Post

Wow, almost fell out of my chair when I saw the thread title!! I've owned pinnacle speakers for nearly twenty years now having had (and in some cases still having) Pn-5's, Pn-6's (two pairs) and Pn-8's (also two pairs (one of which was just purchased on e-bay not three weeks ago!)). In the current line-up are two pairs of pn-8's and one pair of the 6's. The 6's and one pair of the 8's (my original pair) were modified by changing out crossover parts to "modern" parts with the same specs (getting rid of the electrolytic caps in the process)). I can tell you that the unmodified speakers sound very good for the money. The modified speakers simply sound very good, period. They continue to sound even better when I get a chance to upgrade some part of my system (ie. going from receiver based amplification to receiver bypass and separate adcom amplification). They were even more revealing with a passive preamp (Adcom SLC 505) running those amps.

I know this will sound like hyperbole to some, but my modified pinnacles, in my set-up, bested a pair of POLK Lsi15, that I bought with the intentions of finally upgrading my speakers. The Lsi-15's came critically acclaimed and highly recommended in the price range i was researching, so i bought them. Well after letting them break in for a week and a half, i sent them back. The pinnacles may be old but they still kick a$$. Don't know what their current stuff sounds like but I love their archival stuff. I would give my left nut to hear or better yet obtain a mint pair of their ultimate flagship speakers, Pinnacle Aerogel towers. I STILL look on e-bay and craigslist every few days in hopes that someone has a pair they want to get rid of. I've only seen two pairs for sale in the time I have been looking and contrary to the respective sellers descriptions, they did NOT appear to be in good condition.

Long story short (well sorta short) I swear by my Pinnacles and never ever have I sworn AT them!!!

I have a pair of Aerogels I'd like to sell, but I'm on the other side of the country and don't have the original packaging. *sigh*

Any chance you'll be visiting Cali anytime soon?

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
post #114 of 323 Old 07-03-2010, 03:42 PM

Alright guys, After doing a lot of research and reading about receivers I decided to go with Denon AVR-2310 for about $470 to pair with Pinnacle MB8000 ... I hooked up my laptop with receiver and then I thought O.K this looks kinda silly ... I need a T.V for all this, but the sad thing was that I already over spent on receiver+speakers so I had to buy a cheap T.V ... I picked up 37" VIZIO for $530. (What do You guys think of that T.V...? Should I return it and buy something else ...?)

Now everything thing is hooked up, running O.K and I am still learning about connection and setup.

The only problem I am having is that once in a while the sub. makes some kind of ticking noise for some certain songs. It seems like it only does it when specific frequencies play through it. Like when I play some ambient, chill-out, down-tempo kind of Music it tends to tick more than while playing trance or hip-hop .... Like I said, it only does it for some very specific songs. Majority of the Music plays fine.
post #115 of 323 Old 07-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Alright guys, After doing a lot of research and reading about receivers I decided to go with Denon AVR-2310 for about $470 to pair with Pinnacle MB8000 ... I hooked up my laptop with receiver and then I thought O.K this looks kinda silly ... I need a T.V for all this, but the sad thing was that I already over spent on receiver+speakers so I had to buy a cheap T.V ... I picked up 37" VIZIO for $530. (What do You guys think of that T.V...? Should I return it and buy something else ...?)

Now everything thing is hooked up, running O.K and I am still learning about connection and setup.

The only problem I am having is that once in a while the sub. makes some kind of ticking noise for some certain songs. It seems like it only does it when specific frequencies play through it. Like when I play some ambient, chill-out, down-tempo kind of Music it tends to tick more than while playing trance or hip-hop .... Like I said, it only does it for some very specific songs. Majority of the Music plays fine.

No tick on my subcompact 8, I would send it back for an exchange. Only nice clean bass. If you overdrive the speaker, you might hear some slight distortion. Where is your volume gain? My gain when I had that hooked up was about 1/3 of the way. You might be driving it hard enough to activate the anti-clipping circuitry, but I am only speculating. Did you run audyssey first and let it calibrate everything for you? If so then you may have a problem.
post #116 of 323 Old 07-03-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:

I have no problem with the sub. It is very possible that those songs are not of good quality. You may have not heard the "ticks" in the first place because your previous player is not good enough to reproduce everything. Now with a much better system, they emerge.... That's what we call "hi-fi," my friend

I have played both the MB8000 and the Energy Take Classics (with a Klipsch SW-350). To my ears, the MB8000 wins.
I also played a pair of NHT Absolute Zero's, which cost almost as much as the whole MB8000 package, as fronts. The Zero's do not make a big difference. Slightly better, but not hugely, not much, not worth it.

The MB8000 is a good set, people. Very good indeed. I'm glad I bought it.
post #117 of 323 Old 07-07-2010, 09:16 PM

Hey guys... I got the Microburst MB6000 Home Theater Speakers System. Do you have any recommendation on which speaker stand I should use for the satellite speaker?
post #118 of 323 Old 07-09-2010, 07:05 PM

Just picked up the mb 13700 two weeks ago and I am still testing them out, but so far I am extremely impressed.
post #119 of 323 Old 07-14-2010, 12:27 PM

Im looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers for under $250 and I saw a pair of Pinnacle LS 650's for $240, would anyone recommend these speakers vs other competitive brands?
post #120 of 323 Old 07-17-2010, 06:32 PM

Anyone else have the mb6000 with a sealed subwoofer? I looked on the box and it says bottom vented I looked in the specs Manuel it says 4th order bottom vented. I called Dell and they had no idea what I was talking about as usual. I called pinnacle and they said it was supposted to be bottom vented, and they had no idea how I got a sealed subwoofer. I'm waiting on a response from pinnacle on what happened and how they are going to fix it. I know the mb8000 is sealed but it's also 200w vs my 125w. I do love the Chrisp sound of the speakers espically in dolby HD and dts HD. Call of duty ps3 sounds way to real. I can hear people sneAKing up behind me. Music is vibrant and movies sound amazing

Anyone else got a sealed or vented subwoofer with their mb6000 system?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page