I have to make decision about my energy take 5 system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 10-09-2009, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What do you think I should do?
OK, I recently purchased a take 5 classic 5.0 system and a outlaw LFM-1 EX sub to go with my H/K avr-347.
I am not really happy with the take 5's (voices don't sound right and no mid bass), I bought them from newegg for $180. I can still return them but it will cost me $50 for shipping and restock. I will get back $130. What I want to know should I return them and puchase 4 energy c-50 and a c-c50 center for about $325. $195 after you subtract the $130 Or just keep the takes and buy 2 c-50's and the c-c50 center about $225 and use the takes as surrounds and back surounds (7.1). Although my room really is not cut out for a 7.1 system (12'x14") couch is tight to back wall. what will sound better? I won't save much by returning them but I will have 4 c-50's instead of 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 10-09-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
is there a reason you want only small speakers...the Energy C-50's are not a whole lot bigger than the Take 5 units......4.5" mid/woofer vs. 3" mid/woofer ?

with couch against back wall there is absolutely no reason for 7.1
post #3 of 43 Old 10-10-2009, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

is there a reason you want only small speakers...the Energy C-50's are not a whole lot bigger than the Take 5 units......4.5" mid/woofer vs. 3" mid/woofer ?

Yes I don't have a whole lot of room in my living room. the c-50's are not much bigger but are supposed to have better mid range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

with couch against back wall there is absolutely no reason for 7.1

That's what I was thinking also.
post #4 of 43 Old 10-10-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
You have a decent sub and AVR - paired up with a glorified computer speaker setup. Unless you are prepared to live with what you have send them back - get your money back and find something you can get some sound out of. Those Energy speakers are more suited to a bedroom TV listening arraignment.

Newegg sells Polk Audio Monitor speakers - you may find them more well suited to your tastes. Get the matching CS1 or CS2 center channel.

Infinity Primus is in your budget range as well.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 43 Old 10-10-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1st View Post

What do you think I should do?
OK, I recently purchased a take 5 classic 5.0 system and a outlaw LFM-1 EX sub to go with my H/K avr-347.
I am not really happy with the take 5's (voices don't sound right and no mid bass), I bought them from newegg for $180. I can still return them but it will cost me $50 for shipping and restock. I will get back $130. What I want to know should I return them and puchase 4 energy c-50 and a c-c50 center for about $325. $195 after you subtract the $130 Or just keep the takes and buy 2 c-50's and the c-c50 center about $225 and use the takes as surrounds and back surounds (7.1). Although my room really is not cut out for a 7.1 system (12'x14") couch is tight to back wall. what will sound better? I won't save much by returning them but I will have 4 c-50's instead of 2.

Hey Guy

As a matter of fact, I'm hooking up the same package right now in my living room (already have a decent 5.1 setup in my HT room) and I think the sound is very decent for a casual system ....OMG, much better than HtiB's anyday.

I'm using 14 gauge monoprice speaker cable so not sure if that's what's making a difference. Though I'm setting up the system as 3.1 (2 fronts, center coupled with a 10" Dayton sub). So far, I've tested with Discovery HD (via Dish HD box)and music DVD's off my DVD player and the audio is appealing and crisp. I've got no complaints for this $150 system (with coupon). Its being powered by an old Onkyo 504 receiver.

Granted the audio doesn't match my main HT room setup but for $150, I think the Energy do the job very well.

Seems like you had high expectations from a $150 package though ;-).

PS: Other important note to mention that speakers have a 'break-in' period so keep that in mind.

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 43 Old 10-10-2009, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Energy Take Five Classics are some of the best of the very small satellite speakers. However, they must be set up very carefully so you don't have a dip in the critical lower vocal range.

Be sure in the speaker setup menu in your HK 347 that you have all five of them set to "small." Then be sure you have the sub/speaker crossover set to 100 or 120 or 150. Probably 120Hz or 150Hz would be the best to try first. Make sure you have the LFM-1 EX at the front of the room, ideally somehwere between the left and right speakers, but not on the side wall or middle of the room. The EzSet/EQ system can make mistakes. Be sure it has set the speakers to small and the crossover to 120. You can use the manual override to correct mistakes. The best is to use a Radio Shack analog (not digital) meter and a test CD to confirm the response at your listening postiion is as flat as possible between 30Hz and 200 Hz. You might have to boost up the frequency response a little with the manual EQ settings in the critical 100-150 area for voices

Be sure the X-Over toggle on your LFM-1 EX is set to "bypass." (the dial is now inoperable and the crossover is controlled by the HK 347 as it should be).

If this does not create a much better match then you could upgrade you speakers. You have somewhat of a mismatch with your sub and the 5 Energy speakers. The actual Energy sub that matches the original Take Classic 5.1 system is on sale at Costco for $99 thru October, model ESW-8.
post #7 of 43 Old 10-11-2009, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

+1 try Roadrunner's advice before anything
post #8 of 43 Old 10-11-2009, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner6 View Post

The Energy Take Five Classics are some of the best of the very small satellite speakers. However, they must be set up very carefully so you don't have a dip in the critical lower vocal range.

Be sure in the speaker setup menu in your HK 347 that you have all five of them set to "small." Then be sure you have the sub/speaker crossover set to 100 or 120 or 150. Probably 120Hz or 150Hz would be the best to try first. Make sure you have the LFM-1 EX at the front of the room, ideally somehwere between the left and right speakers, but not on the side wall or middle of the room. The EzSet/EQ system can make mistakes. Be sure it has set the speakers to small and the crossover to 120. You can use the manual override to correct mistakes. The best is to use a Radio Shack analog (not digital) meter and a test CD to confirm the response at your listening postiion is as flat as possible between 30Hz and 200 Hz. You might have to boost up the frequency response a little with the manual EQ settings in the critical 100-150 area for voices

Be sure the X-Over toggle on your LFM-1 EX is set to "bypass." (the dial is now inoperable and the crossover is controlled by the HK 347 as it should be).

If this does not create a much better match then you could upgrade you speakers. You have somewhat of a mismatch with your sub and the 5 Energy speakers. The actual Energy sub that matches the original Take Classic 5.1 system is on sale at Costco for $99 thru October, model ESW-8.

Thank you this sounds like good advice. right now the subwoofer is on the back wall along the couch I originally have the sub set to bypass but it seemed to boomy. I will move it next to the tv and set it back on bypass.

I know the sub and the speakers are a bit of a miss match. I read such good things about the take classics I decided to go with them, but people were saying there were better subs out there. Then outlaw had a sale on the LFM-ex which was almost over and my imagination got the best of me. Oh well. I'll let everybody know how well it goes as soon as I try the new sub position and run the EzSet/EQ.
post #9 of 43 Old 10-11-2009, 12:22 PM

Some years ago I owned the original 5.1 Energy Take Five System that sold for $800. The current Take Five Classic is Chinese made (not a problem) and now lists for $600. There are not computer speakers and give excellent sound when properly set up in small to medium rooms at reasonable levels. It has an excellent review.

I say you have a mismatch because the Outlaw LFM-1 EX is a very nice sub normally used in more expensive and louder playing systems. I personally own the LFM-1 Plus in my current system.

Your sub should be at the front of the room unless you cross over to it at or below 80Hz, which will not allow your ears to determine the actual location of the sub. With your sub at the back wall near the couch you can tell where the upper bass from the sub is coming from when the sub takes over at 120Hz or so. That is why it needs to be along the front wall, so the bass seems to be coming from the main speakers. The boomy bass is most likely due to the location in the room and not the fault of the LFM-1 EX. For the most clean and defined sounding bass try to keep it out of the corner and several inches from the wall. Many times their will still be a peak of two in the 30-125Hz (usually about 40-80Hz) area and the only solution if this causes boomy sounding base is to use an EQ of some sort. The RS meter and a frequency response test CD will allow you to find the peaks.

Also, may people tend to have the bass volume up too loud and overpower the mains. A possible problem is whether the LFM-1 EX goes up fairly flat to where you will crossover at 120Hz to the Energy's. I think it should be OK.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/compac...ers/608energy/

Don't forget to double check that the EzSet/EQ made the correct settings!
post #10 of 43 Old 10-12-2009, 03:39 PM

If you are in Los Angeles area I will come buy your take 5 for $100. You can keep the center as souvenir if you like.
post #11 of 43 Old 10-12-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

I tried moving the sub to the front next to the tv, re did the EzSet/EQ but I am still not impressed with the sound, The EzSet/EQ set the takes at 80hz crossover (Will this damage the speakers?). I manually tried 100, 120, and 150. Still not sounding that great. During movies the voices are hard to understand with out turning up the volume. Then I have to turn it back down as it gets to loud during action scenes. tried turning the center volume up independently but still just so so. I think maybe I expected to much from them.
post #12 of 43 Old 10-13-2009, 06:12 PM

Many times it is the fault of the movie source that the dialog is too low. Make sure you have all of the front three speakers on stands or if they are on a shelf or surface that they are forward at the leading edge of whatever they are placed on so the sound from the speakers does not reflect off the surface. All speakers should be set to the same relative volume and left there. You should be testing the movie sound with DVD movies (not TV movies) that have a 5 star audio rating or using multichannel sound if you have SACD or DVD-Audio.

The 80Hz cross is too low!

Even these small Energy's should sound very good at reasonable levels when set up properly.
post #13 of 43 Old 10-13-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:

Do you know if this is available from Costco online? I tried to find it from their website, but I couldn't find it. It's been about a month since I went to a Costco brick and mortar store, and I do not remember ever seeing it.

Thanks
--e
post #14 of 43 Old 10-14-2009, 10:59 AM

newegg has a sale on the energy take 5 speakers for only 150, and i'm in the market for a HT that would be about 350. Would buying these, a sub, and some nice wire be one of my best options out there?
Or would a $50 more investment be better to get Polk Audio RM6750 (which already has a sub included)?
If so, any sugguestion for a woofer that would match well?
post #15 of 43 Old 10-14-2009, 11:35 PM

Ezran, these are not at Costco online. Many stores still have some of these at $99. Go to the customer service desk and they will tell you which stores have them.

Nickm1, the Energy ESW-8 ($99 at Costco) is the sub that was originally matched with these 5 speakers. That $150 price is a steel! I cannot comment about the Polk system but that is a super price on the Energy's. Remember this is a small system that sounds great in small to medium rooms at reasonable levels. They are not for blowing the walls down. Forget the "nice wire." Plain speaker wire or zip cord in a reasonably heavy gauge is fine. See Monoprice.com for great prices on good quality interconnects.
post #16 of 43 Old 10-15-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:

Nickm1, That $150 price is a steel! I cannot comment about the Polk system but that is a super price on the Energy's. Remember this is a small system that sounds great in small to medium rooms at reasonable levels. They are not for blowing the walls down.

They are normally 180 at newegg...is 30 off that much of a good deal?
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16882269004
post #17 of 43 Old 10-15-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, After playing around with the position of the sub and speakers and crossover I finally decided these are not for me. I sent them back today as I was running out of time to return them,
1st- I want to thank everyone for the helpful advice
2nd- I now have 1 LFM-1 EX subwoofer and no speakers. A H/K avr-347 and a 12x14 room. Looking for recommendations on what will sound good with them. willing to spend $300 to $700. Does not have to be Energy although at this time Ive only researched Energy.
post #18 of 43 Old 10-15-2009, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
4 of the Infinity Primus P162s and the C350 center are worth taking a look at. If you have the room you could shoehorn a pair of the P362s into your listening room.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #19 of 43 Old 10-15-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm1 View Post

They are normally 180 at newegg...is 30 off that much of a good deal?
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16882269004

Originally the MSRP for the the entire 5.1 set with the sub was $600. Considering the sub would be worth about $250 that would make the 5 speakers about $350. Costco several months ago had the complete 5.1 system first for $399 and then at $350.

So the price at $200, $180 or $150 to me is an excellent price for the 5 speakers only. The $99 price at Costco for the sub only is an excellent price. These speakers are superior to the ones you will find in almost all of the HTIB systems.
post #20 of 43 Old 10-15-2009, 04:03 PM

I have a HK 254 and Outlaw LFM -1Compact and just ordered these http://store.emptek.com/ef30csys.php. I figure at $200 for the set, I am willing to take a chance.
post #21 of 43 Old 10-16-2009, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

4 of the Infinity Primus P162s and the C350 center are worth taking a look at. If you have the room you could shoehorn a pair of the P362s into your listening room.

How do the P362s compare to the Energy RC-30s? I will probably go with floor standing speakers for the fronts as the bookshelves with the stands seem to take up a much room as the floor standing ones.
post #22 of 43 Old 10-16-2009, 05:24 PM

Hello,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of these Energy 5's off newegg for my Denon AVR 2803 PC setup. Would the energys be better then this infiniti setup?

INFINITY FSS-450
I will add a matching sub to the energys of course, I can get the INFINITY FSS-450 setup for about 225$ and it comes with a sub. What is the better performer of the two? Its going to be for music, movies and gaming.
post #23 of 43 Old 10-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by annimossity View Post

Hello,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of these Energy 5's off newegg for my Denon AVR 2803 PC setup. Would the energys be better then this infiniti setup?

INFINITY FSS-450
I will add a matching sub to the energys of course, I can get the INFINITY FSS-450 setup for about 225$ and it comes with a sub. What is the better performer of the two? Its going to be for music, movies and gaming.

i'm curious about this as well. can anyone compare the two?

- Chris
post #24 of 43 Old 10-20-2009, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

You might have to boost up the frequency response a little with the manual EQ settings in the critical 100-150 area for voices

I know how the Take system sounds. They're awsome IMO. The problem many people have with a lot of speakers including these is that there's often not enough power going into the speakers when the receiver is in multi-channel mode. Even if the receiver says 100x5 watts. A receiver with a flat EQ that gives a good amount of power in multi-channel mode will usually sound better than a receiver with less power and EQ settings.

Sony 5700ES
PSB Image T5, PSB Image B5, PSB Image B4, PSB Image C4
post #25 of 43 Old 10-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec88 View Post

I know how the Take system sounds. They're awsome IMO. The problem many people have with a lot of speakers including these is that there's often not enough power going into the speakers when the receiver is in multi-channel mode. Even if the receiver says 100x5 watts. A receiver with a flat EQ that gives a good amount of power in multi-channel mode will usually sound better than a receiver with less power and EQ settings.

I agree here.. i have the take 5's running with pio elite vsx-21 and HSU vtf 2-mk3... I love the outlaw but you cant have any speakers that small with that much bass power...if broken right those take 5's are the best for the money out there.. of course there are better speakers but I live in a townhome and cant blast stuff.....if you have enough power going to them and there broken in these things SHINE....

PSN: Biggsmooth
post #26 of 43 Old 10-22-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm1 View Post

newegg has a sale on the energy take 5 speakers for only 150, and i'm in the market for a HT that would be about 350. Would buying these, a sub, and some nice wire be one of my best options out there?
Or would a $50 more investment be better to get Polk Audio RM6750 (which already has a sub included)?
If so, any sugguestion for a woofer that would match well?

I got the Take 5 speaker for 150.00 and Yamaha 315 subwoofer for 200.00 from Newegg. Adding a Pioneer 919AH receiver for 400.00 from Amazon, I'm very happy with the sound from movie as well as music from this system.

Westinghouse 47w1 Samsung 55C650
Cox HD Multi Rooms DVR
Sony BD
post #27 of 43 Old 10-23-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpham View Post

I got the Take 5 speaker for 150.00 and Yamaha 315 subwoofer for 200.00 from Newegg. Adding a Pioneer 919AH receiver for 400.00 from Amazon, I'm very happy with the sound from movie as well as music from this system.

The only problem I see here is that your balance is off. I'd say people should spend 50-75% on speakers and then figure out the rest. Looks like you came in around 20% on speakers, but then again if the speakers are a really good deal it's ok.
post #28 of 43 Old 10-31-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1st View Post

Ok, After playing around with the position of the sub and speakers and crossover I finally decided these are not for me. I sent them back today as I was running out of time to return them,
1st- I want to thank everyone for the helpful advice
2nd- I now have 1 LFM-1 EX subwoofer and no speakers. A H/K avr-347 and a 12x14 room. Looking for recommendations on what will sound good with them. willing to spend $300 to $700. Does not have to be Energy although at this time Ive only researched Energy.

i just got an onkyo ht-rc160 and am also looking for a speaker setup. i've also only researched energy and a little bit of polk. i was goin to buy those speakers until i read your post. maybe i will wait a bit now. my living room is 13x13. im willing to spend around the same as you but i need a sub also. anyone have any suggestions?
post #29 of 43 Old 10-31-2009, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Originally the MSRP for the the entire 5.1 set with the sub was $600. Considering the sub would be worth about $250 that would make the 5 speakers about $350. Costco several months ago had the complete 5.1 system first for $399 and then at $350.

So the price at $200, $180 or $150 to me is an excellent price for the 5 speakers only. The $99 price at Costco for the sub only is an excellent price. These speakers are superior to the ones you will find in almost all of the HTIB systems.

Absolutely. At $150, if you have a small to medium sized room the Energy Take 5 is one of the great bargains in home theater speakers available today.
post #30 of 43 Old 11-05-2009, 12:25 PM

I'm new to HT and I bought the take 5's without the sub and a pioneer 1019. Any advice on which sub to go with? I live in a condo building so I can't exactly be blasting. I've been looking at the matching esw-8 or the esw-v8. Would the difference bw these two be worth the price diff? ($130 vs $225) Or is there another sub in this price range anyone can recommend? Thanks.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page