Cerwin-Vega CLS-215 -Is it the best kept home theater secret? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 121 Old 10-15-2009, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The subject of Cerwin Vega replacing the CLS-215 speaker with another model was brought up in this forum. Someone said that they had been told this by a friend. I have a pair of CLS-215's and I love them. Along with the other 14 Cerwin Vega speakers that I have in my house. Im a die hard CV fan. I called CV technical support and asked them if they had any plans on replacing the CLS-215. The answer was NO. We all know that most companies are always working on new products and sometimes will not admit to knowing anything to the public. So if you are looking to get a pair you still have time. I wish more people would give them a chance. There seems to be a lot of CV haters out there. I think that many people would be surprised by the sound quality that I have in several of the Cerwin Vega systems that I have. If they could only get past what they have heard in the past at some beer party in their younger years. On a system that was not designed properly and played at a really high volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 121 Old 10-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

The subject of Cerwin Vega replacing the CLS-215 speaker with another model was brought up in this forum. Someone said that they had been told this by a friend. I have a pair of CLS-215's and I love them. Along with the other 14 Cerwin Vega speakers that I have in my house. Im a die hard CV fan. I called CV technical support and asked them if they had any plans on replacing the CLS-215. The answer was NO. We all know that most companies are always working on new products and sometimes will not admit to knowing anything to the public. So if you are looking to get a pair you still have time. I wish more people would give them a chance. There seems to be a lot of CV haters out there. I think that many people would be surprised by the sound quality that I have in several of the Cerwin Vega systems that I have. If they could only get past what they have heard in the past at some beer party in their younger years. On a system that was not designed properly and played at a really high volume.

I'll always have a love affair with Cerwin Vega. Big, strong, powerful and efficient speakers - I owned a single set for fifteen years. I know many friends and family who's owned CV. But to be honest, a higher end brand like B&W definitely takes clarity, detail, imaging, and natural sound to a elevated level over CV from own personal experiences.

I had almost bought the new CLS-15 to replace my VS-150 but I wanted to try something different and man the new Vegas are so ugly, heh. I brought home a set of B&W 684s on a whim with their rinky dink drivers compared to the Vegas but was shocked at the elevated sound quality they had over the Vegas. In just a year I've moved up to B&W's flagship 800 series - B&W REALLY turned me into a hi-fidelity nut. I have experience with Cerwin Vegas dating back to the DX9s to the AT15, VS-150, and E-315 - I've had other CV's (center and rears - forget the models). And honestly none of them could hold a candle to B&W for pure fidelity and naturalness. I still love Cerwin Vega though. But from now on I'll be looking at brands like B&W, Dynaudio, Focal, Paradigm, etc...
post #33 of 121 Old 10-15-2009, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

I'll always have a love affair with Cerwin Vega. Big, strong, powerful and efficient speakers - I owned a single set for fifteen years. I know many friends and family who's owned CV. But to be honest, a higher end brand like B&W definitely takes clarity, detail, imaging, and natural sound to a elevated level over CV from own personal experiences.

I had almost bought the new CLS-15 to replace my VS-150 but I wanted to try something different and man the new Vegas are so ugly, heh. I brought home a set of B&W 684s on a whim with their rinky dink drivers compared to the Vegas but was shocked at the elevated sound quality they had over the Vegas. In just a year I've moved up to B&W's flagship 800 series - B&W REALLY turned me into a hi-fidelity nut. I have experience with Cerwin Vegas dating back to the DX9s to the AT15, VS-150, and E-315 - I've had other CV's (center and rears - forget the models). And honestly none of them could hold a candle to B&W for pure fidelity and naturalness. I still love Cerwin Vega though. But from now on I'll be looking at brands like B&W, Dynaudio, Focal, Paradigm, etc...

B&W 800D costs $12K for one speaker -there's a pair in the box on eBay for $18K+. Isn't this like saying I've owned and loved Mustangs for years but they can't hold a candle to my Bentley. Duh! Thanks for sharing!
post #34 of 121 Old 10-15-2009, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Yes, I agree with you here. He is also comparing those B&W's with an older pair of Cerwin Vegas. Im sure the B&W's are a nice speaker. Most things usually get more advanced or improve as time goes on, including speakers. I can almost guarantee that the current Cerwin Vegas sound better than most of the older models that people seem to always bring up.
post #35 of 121 Old 10-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wae5 View Post

B&W 800D costs $12K for one speaker -there's a pair in the box on eBay for $18K+. Isn't this like saying I've owned and loved Mustangs for years but they can't hold a candle to my Bentley. Duh! Thanks for sharing!

In my screenshot it shows the 600 series 684. They cost around the same as the Cerwin Vegas did ($20 more a pair - so I don't think it's comparing Mustang price to Bently price - the 684 are $1100 a pair and the CV where $1080 a pair). I think I mentioned that I noticed a elevated level in fidelity with them. I merely said that I have moved up to B&W's flagship 800 series within a year of initially purchasing the 600 series. I also never specified what exact model of the flagship 800 series I purchased. Who said anything about the 800D? I have the 804S by the way - not even in the diamond tweeter range of the 800 series. Just because I said I moved up to B&W's flagship 800 series didn't imply 'the' flagship model in the flagship series. And when I say the CV couldn't hold a candle to B&W's sound that included B&W's similarly priced entry level speakers (heck even my 685 bookshelf speakers takes you to a noticeable elevated level of fidelity which cost around $430 less a pair than the VS-150s).

The only thing you got me on is that I'm not comparing both current lineups from both manufacturers with each other but I've known and owned the Cerwin Vega sound from the early 80's right up to the series right before the current ones and they've all been roughly the same exact basic sound over the years. So you're saying the current ones are not the same old Cerwin Vega sound re-hashed with a new look like in the past? Not even the models right before the most current ones? If they can bring out a elevated level of sound quality over their old ones while keeping the costs down, actually cheaper than their older models, then that's amazing. However I can't say I like the looks of them over the older models.... But since from my experience of over twenty years of Cerwin Vega models and they all being the same old CV sound, I'm skeptical that just another model change is going to make a night and day difference when each model to the next has been fairly similar in the past. I did say skeptical.
post #36 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

I’m not saying 215s are better than other well loved speakers. My point is you should consider them because they solve two major home theater speaker problems. They’re efficient so a reasonable receiver should power them just fine and they have deep, powerful bass so you don’t need an expensive sub woofer with them to get deep, powerful bass. How do your B&Ws stack up to them now?
post #37 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

You're a quibbler so you tried setting a silly little trap for me but I refuse to take your bait. Everyone including you knows exactly what I mean when I say 20th century classical music. When you and I buy this music we go to the classical music section and you know that too.

On a lighter note, I'm bored with everything but chamber music from Beethoven's crowd. Thankfully, I've found solace in 20th century cacophony but it took time for me to hear the difference between it and noise but now I can't get enough of it.

Do you like Matthew's Broken Symmetry? When I play it for people who don't like classical music, they often like it. You'd say they like it because it's not classical music and you'd be right and wrong at the same time -just like Schrödinger's cat.

I don't think there is anything silly about music lit., and BTW you are finding solace in 20th century atonal music. On a lighter note, if you like Beethoven chamber music I recommend Hayden. He was one of Ludwig's mentors, and their connection is obvious. I haven't heard Matthew's Broken Symmetry. So many notes, so little time.
post #38 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Don't need a subwoofer for movies? The vegas can produce 115-121 db's at 5hz? The spec for dolby on the lfe channel is 3-120hz and peaks of 115 db's and 121 db's with bass management. Subs are needed for HT.
post #39 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmollin View Post

I don't think there is anything silly about music lit., and BTW you are finding solace in 20th century atonal music. On a lighter note, if you like Beethoven chamber music I recommend Hayden. He was one of Ludwig's mentors, and their connection is obvious. I haven't heard Matthew's Broken Symmetry. So many notes, so little time.

You’re still quibbling. All the music mentioned here is found in Amazon’s classical music section. To say atonal music rather than 20th century classical music is pedantic in a forum like this. Furthermore, everyone including you knows exactly what I mean so please stop splitting hairs on a bald head. BTW, I owned Tatrai’s Haydn quartets on Hungaroton in the seventies.
post #40 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Don't need a subwoofer for movies? The vegas can produce 115-121 db's at 5hz? The spec for dolby on the lfe channel is 3-120hz and peaks of 115 db's and 121 db's with bass management. Subs are needed for HT.

115-121 dbs at 5 hz??????!!!!!!!! How much does bass like this cost in your planet's money? ;o)
post #41 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey, that is dolby spec's, not mine. If someone really wants a reference level theater or movies that what is spec'd out. BTW, it was not as expensive as you might think. Just check my sig. I measured my speakers(by themselves) to go down to 20 hz in room but I wanted everything. Here is the graph of just my subs:

Here is the graph of just speakers(I should have ran the same level but dolby specs the speakers for 105 db's) They were running full range.

trust me, after looking at that most people would think there is no need for subs but the difference is huge and breathtaking.

Sorry about going off topic. The CV's do look like a lower cost option for dynamic HT. My speakers cost me $775 each.
post #42 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmollin View Post

I remember the C-Vs from the 70s... They were killer at rock concerts with volume to make your ears bleed. They haven't ever been taken seriously as room-sized music speakers, and just looking at them I have to wonder how well they integrate and image at, say 10 feet.

I think that they would be respectable drivers for the larger, dedicated home theaters. The distances involved are more like 20 feet, and the horn-sound is actually a theater-like feature. The price is certainly unbeatable.

I still use my C-V's from the 70's. I didn't even have a sub woofer until just a few months ago. Didn't need one. I have the 8" "Hard-Rockers" in the walnut cabinets, about 16" wide x 24" tall x 10" deep and weigh about 50 pounds!

I have no idea what the profiles or sound image is, but I can hear the voices perfectly, the music perfectly and the walls can be shaken with booms and explosions.

I do have to admit that a sub does make a difference, but only on really big sounds.
post #43 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 07:50 AM

I own a pair of these as well, and a pair of the CLS-15s. They sound great and as has been said over and over, they really do produce great bass for a full range tower at any volume level.

I found that the only thing I dont like about these speakers is that at high volume (105db plus) they produce too much 4KHz for my liking. I mean WAY too much, I dropped 4K out of these speakers by 9db on the EQ before they sounded how I like.

Although these have a lot of low end to them, I still say you should ahve subs for HT use, but thats probably just cause I love way too much bass. As should be aparent by the fact that I have two CLS-215s, two CLS-15s, and two dual 18" subs, and the whole system has a small boost at 30Hz too.
post #44 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW, How do the CV's stack up to your MMG's for music? I know you said you liked the CV's for HT better but maybe that would have changed if you had some great subs for the low end.
post #45 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not saying 215s are better than other well loved speakers. My point is you should consider them because they solve two major home theater speaker problems. They're efficient so a reasonable receiver should power them just fine and they have deep, powerful bass so you don't need an expensive sub woofer with them to get deep, powerful bass. How do your B&Ws stack up to them now?

With all compromises considered, I still think the Cerwin Vegas (over 20 years of models I've had personal experience with) can't hold a candle to a speaker such as B&W for overall performance of true high fidelity. If overly bloated bass at a cheaper price per SPL is your main concern then the Vegas are the way to go. I found that even the smaller B&W bookshelf speakers to put out plenty enough bass to sound good for most music for me. Even coming from years of using 15" size woofers I found out that true hi-fidelity can be quite addicting. What I thought I liked and loved wasn't what I really liked and loved.

You'd also be surprised at the fullness of the bass that the little B&W drivers can put out. When I first heard the bookshelves in the store I didn't believe they where playing on their own. No I'm not saying they'll put out a higher SPL in the bass, but that their fidelity is so much better and the bass is full enough to sound pleasant that you soon forget and could careless about overly bloated bass that can play at higher SPL in favor of a higher fidelity, better clarity, and more natural sound that still has enough bass to sound pleasing (and can still play loud enough you can't hear your own voice when talking).

And actually without a power amp with good current I found my Vegas to feel and sound real light and thin in the bass for a 15" woofer with the impedance drops. When I powered them with a Carver TFM 35x they where much more fuller sounding and had good hit over my receivers, but the bass was more a bloated boomy bass and not very much use for actual LFE feel. Yes they would play a bloated bass at high SPL, handle as much power as you can throw at them, and I've measured 125dB peaks at about eight feet away, but I never could actually get that true LFE sub bass feel from them that a dedicated powered sub gives you. Yes they where extremely efficient at 102dB 1w/1m, but still required a good amp because of the current draw to get the most out of their bass performance. (but then again, B&W to me also seems to be another speaker that requires good current to get the most out of them because of impedance drops)

I still love Cerwin Vega - I've owned more Cerwin Vegas then any other brand and for a much longer period. But now I consider them more of a fun-factor speaker than a true hi fidelity speaker. That's just me. Everyone should always get what they feel they want and need. Heck, for the price I might just buy a set of CLS215's just out of curiosity to play around and hear what they can do. I might surprised in what I hear - they may be the same old CV sound, or maybe not.
post #46 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

About MKtheater
Your HT Gear:
ADA Cinema Reference- 7 Behringer EP-2500 in 2 channel mode, PS3, xbox 360, toshiba A30-3 JBL 3622N screenarray speakers, 2 JBL 8340A surrounds-8 eD 18 inch driver sonosubs-6 bass shakers-Sanyo 1080p projector-130 inch AT screen
Your HT Gear (more space) 7 black leather theater seats- The whole room is a sound board with insulation behind and fabric on top.
BEHIND THE SCREEN: YES I am aware my Bass is above reference

Thanks for reminding me I'm just a lowly human being trying to sqweeze a HT into my 12X14X9 closet. To put me in your perspective, my Z60 is my 3rd Sanyo PJ and my 80” wide HP screen’s so small, you’d have to squint to see it.
post #47 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I was just letting you know that even with a full range speaker with bass there is more to a better experience for HT since I use big full range speakers myself.
post #48 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Emig5m wrote: “I still love Cerwin Vega - I've owned more Cerwin Vegas then any other brand and for a much longer period. But now I consider them more of a fun-factor speaker than a true hi fidelity speaker. That's just me. Everyone should always get what they feel they want and need. Heck, for the price I might just buy a set of CLS215's just out of curiosity to play around and hear what they can do. I might surprised in what I hear - they may be the same old CV sound, or maybe not.”

Fun factor! That’s where it’s at! I’m far too old to be chasing after the chimera of true high fidelity speakers and you could say I left that behind when I consigned my Maggies to the two channel room. In any case my 215’s bass doesn’t boom and from what I’ve read they’re a design departure from CV’s usual frat house sound. I really hope you listen to them. Musician’s Friend priced matched mine including free shipping and they have a generous, 45 day no questions asked return policy but I knew I was stuck with them if I didn't like them because there’s no way they'd pay for return shipping. Please read the two reviews mentioned in my post that started this topic. They convinced me I should take a chance on these “frat house” speakers.
post #49 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Fun factor! That's where it's at! I'm far too old to be chasing after the chimera of true high fidelity speakers and you could say I left that behind when I consigned my Maggies to the two channel room. In any case my 215's bass doesn't boom and from what I've read they're a design departure from CV's usual frat house sound. I really hope you listen to them.

Sweet, I'll definitely have to check them out now. I have a friend currently without any home sound system at all and on a tighter budget with a second kid on the way that these might be exactly what he needs from a bang for the buck perspective. Do they still have any retail outlets left? Last time I seen CV was at Best Buy about six years ago and they no longer carry them. I bought mine from the now defunct Silo electronics chain store. Even Sears used to have them...(around the RE series)
post #50 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

I just received this from CV:

Hello wae5, we are not replacing nor upgrading the CLS-215's. They are current and wont be discontinued anytime soon.

Please visit www.cerwin-vega.com for any updates.

Thank You

I'm inclined to believe him. In any case, improving the 215s would be gilding a lily or at least a turnip.
post #51 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

Sweet, I'll definitely have to check them out now. I have a friend currently without any home sound system at all and on a tighter budget with a second kid on the way that these might be exactly what he needs from a bang for the buck perspective. Do they still have any retail outlets left? Last time I seen CV was at Best Buy about six years ago and they no longer carry them. I bought mine from the now defunct Silo electronics chain store. Even Sears used to have them...(around the RE series)

I live in San Francisco, CA and my local Guitar Center carries CV but I didn't listen to them there before I bought them. If you're in the Bay Area
let me know if you want to hear them.
post #52 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

BTW, How do the CV's stack up to your MMG's for music? I know you said you liked the CV's for HT better but maybe that would have changed if you had some great subs for the low end.

Funny you should ask. MG12s have that subdued, smooth, high end sound so nothing really stands out. People unfamiliar with high end sound might say they sound bland and uninvolving. Comparing MG12 to 215s, I'd say the MG12s sound constrained and the 215s sound open and effortless. At this point someone from the Planar Speaker Asylum chimes in like they already did here and says, you're not amplifying them properly so pro amps like your Behringer EP1500 and Yamaha P2500S won't do because Maggies need current, not watts to make them stand up and sing.

Great subs cost a lot more than my 215s and are hard to intergrate with planar speakers. I tried augmenting my MG12's bass with one 215 but when I heard what it could do full range, I bought a second one. It solved my two big Maggie problems -the high cost of proper amplification and bass extension so the 215s impressed me. I'd didn't throw my Maggies away so in a few months I'll listen to them again like it's the very first time.
post #53 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

I just recieved this:

Friday, October 16, 2009 9:32 AM

Sorry for the prior email- The CLS line will be discontinued once we are out of stock. The CLS replacement will be XLS line.

Thank You

Me: The 215 sounds so terrible, it's about time they replaced it. ;O)

Guess: Close out price $600/pr. no free shipping.
post #54 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
FWIW, I have listened to lots of Maggies over the years (one of my friends loves them!) and I have to say they are NOT what I consider great bass speakers (or even speakers remotely good for higher end HT performance). I know someone threw out the "High Current" amp is needed but the Behringer amp has MORE then enough power even into 2 ohms and it has more power then other other amps talked about in this thread. Its just a simple fact that once you have speakers that kick ass from 80Hz to 400Hz (Key bass frequency range IMO!!) you will never go back to wimpy common comercial brands with smaller woofers.

I have 12" woofers myself that run from 60Hz to 1200Hz or 60Hz to 400Hz (depending on the speakers) and I can not find better bass anywhere in any other speakers. Mine are not CVs they are a little higher up the food chain but the premise is the same

I will make a simple point....to get slam we need more displacement!

Its that simple!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #55 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

You may have to register to read it and see the pix.

http://www.cerwin-vega-fans.com/foru...578d7347b4e2db
post #56 of 121 Old 10-16-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

http://infiniteelectronix.com/cerwin...erspeaker.aspx

Ground shipping to San Francisco California is $73.73

I think they changed the tweeter surround so it's not too beamy.
post #57 of 121 Old 10-17-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

I just recieved this:

Friday, October 16, 2009 9:32 AM

Sorry for the prior email- The CLS line will be discontinued once we are out of stock. The CLS replacement will be XLS line.

Thank You

Me: The 215 sounds so terrible, it's about time they replaced it. ;O)

Guess: Close out price $600/pr. no free shipping.

600/pr for the CLS215's, where at?

YID DIY
post #58 of 121 Old 10-17-2009, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

600/pr for the CLS215's, where at?

In my head. It's a hopeful guess based on the fact that new CLS-215s sell for around $400 for one speaker -I paid $409 with free shipping which isn't bad for a 106 lb. speaker. For a $300 closeout price, I don't think free shipping will be included.
post #59 of 121 Old 10-17-2009, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22

Cerwin-vega xls-6 6" 2-way xls series bookshelf speaker
# 125w max- 62.5w rms
# 6.5" paper cone half-roll stamped-frame woofer
# 1" cloth dome tweeter
# freq resp: 58 hz - 20 khz 3 db on axis
# freq range: 50 hz - 20 khz -10 db
# imp: 8
# sensitivity: 88 db @ 2.83v/1 m
# ported design
# gold-plated 5-way binding posts
# black-ash enclosure

cerwin-vega xls-6c 6" xls series center channel speaker
# 125w max- 62.5w rms
# dual 6.5" paper cone half-roll stamped-frame woofers
# 1" cloth dome tweeter
# freq resp: 58 hz - 20 khz 3 db on axis
# freq range: 50 hz - 20 khz -10 db
# sensitivity: 90 db @ 2.83v/1 m
# ported design
# gold-plated 5-way binding posts
# black-ash enclosure

cerwin-vega xls-28 8" 3-way xls series floor speaker
# 200w max- 100w rms
# dual 8" paper cone foam half-roll cast-frame woofers
# 5.25" paper cone midrange
# 1" cloth dome tweeter
# freq resp: 44 hz - 20 khz 3 db on axis
# freq range: 38 hz - 20 khz -10 db
# sensitivity: 90 db @ 2.83v/1 m
# ported design
# 2 pairs gold-plated 5-way binding posts
# black-ash enclosure

cerwin-vega xls-12 12" 3-way xls series floor speaker
# 300w max- 150w rms
# 12" paper cone foam half-roll cast-frame woofer
# 6.5" paper cone midrange
# 1" cloth dome tweeter
# freq resp: 35 hz - 20 khz 3 db on axis
# freq range: 28 hz - 20 khz -10 db
# sensitivity: 92 db @ 2.83v/1 m
# ported design
# black-ash enclosure

cerwin-vega xls-15 15" 3-way xls series floor speaker
# 400w max- 200w rms
# 15" paper cone foam half-roll cast-frame woofer
# 1" cloth dome tweeter
# freq resp: 33 hz - 20 khz 3 db on axis
# freq range: 26 hz - 20 khz -10 db
# sensitivity: 94 db @ 2.83v/1 m
# ported design
# fuse protection
# black-ash enclosure

cerwin-vega xls-215 15" 3-way xls series floor speaker
# 500w max- 250w rms
# dual 15" paper cone foam half-roll cast-frame woofers
# 1" cloth dome tweeter
# freq resp: 30 hz - 20 khz 3 db on axis
# freq range: 24 hz - 20 khz -10 db
# sensitivity: 97 db @ 2.83v/1 m
# ported design
# black-ash enclosure

cerwin-vega xls-12s-na 12" xls series powered subwoofer
# 250w rms amplifier power
# freq resp: 33 hz - 150 hz 3 db on axis
# freq range: 28 hz - 150 hz -10 db
# l/r + lfe rca connectors
# speaker level barrier strips
# ported design
# rohs compiant
# black-ash enclosure

cerwin-vega xls-15s-na 15" xls series powered subwoofer
# 250w rms amplifier power
# freq resp: 30 hz - 150 hz 3 db on axis
# freq range: 25 hz - 150 hz -10 db
# l/r + lfe rca connectors
# speaker level barrier strips
# ported design
# rohs compiant
# black-ash enclosure

MKtheater -"I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show."

My speaker build. "PROJECT OVERKILL" WWMTMSS
post #60 of 121 Old 10-17-2009, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

I see one significant XLS-215 change: CV widened the width of the middle of the tweeter horn so its vertical dispersion is increased. When I tilted my CLS-215 forward to increase its vertical tweeter dispersion, it became too bright for me. Are there any other significant changes? I'll call CV on Monday to ask about them.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page