Cerwin-Vega CLS-215 -Is it the best kept home theater secret? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 121 Old 01-05-2010, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasKL View Post

The specs I saw say the Vegas are flat to 24 Hz. A 10" from SVS beats that. I'd get the B&Ws and spring the 3 or 400 bucks for a subwoofer and kick the CV in the jimmy on both high AND low end.

I owned CV (D-3s) when I was a kid and a friend was using the 215s until recently and they have their place, but personally I'd rather have the clap than have them in my HT.

I wonder if you would rather have herpes than a pair of Cerwin Vega AT-100's in your living room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 121 Old 04-04-2010, 08:47 PM

Liked: 10
Would bi-amping a pair of XLS-215s with my Yamaha RX-V765 reciever (95w/channel), be sufficient?
post #93 of 121 Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelg589 View Post

Would bi-amping a pair of XLS-215s with my Yamaha RX-V765 reciever (95w/channel), be sufficient?

You could try it. But you will not be scratching the surface of what these speakers can do with that amount of power.
post #94 of 121 Old 12-04-2010, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I made an offer on some xls-12's...

As a JTR owner (fromer ) I will be a discriminating ear
post #95 of 121 Old 12-04-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I made an offer on some xls-12's...

As a JTR owner (fromer ) I will be a discriminating ear

I think you would be better off with some Sho-10's.
post #96 of 121 Old 12-07-2010, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts View Post

Again... Why your change of heart?

I like the idea of it being slightly laid back up high but the slight lasck of detail scares me
post #97 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 12:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts View Post

Only if he wants a hack designed, poorly engineered, wishful quality control, unevenly finished, wood splintered speaker with some user support and speculative resale value.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #98 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Only if he wants a hack designed, poorly engineered, wishful quality control, unevenly finished, wood splintered speaker with some user support and speculative resale value.

Come on now... DO you really need to spread this stuff everywhere you go?

Your opinion on this subject no longer even seems legitimate and is becoming more like a jilted lover looking to badmouth whenever/wherever possible.
post #99 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 04:50 AM

Liked: 11
Folks, Mr. Gai is fond of posting a picture of a SHO-10 which was dropped by Fed Ex from a point high enough that it broke the tweeter.

Here are some PRO/SHO-10's in customer's homes.

Mr. Gai has also never seen, nor heard, the speakers.

You can get additional information from our user review forum here:

Review Forum

post #100 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Come on now... DO you really need to spread this stuff everywhere you go?

Your opinion on this subject no longer even seems legitimate and is becoming more like a jilted lover looking to badmouth whenever/wherever possible.

What if its all true though? Is this not an AV science forum known for the truth?

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #101 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

What if its all true though? Is this not an AV science forum known for the truth?

It sort of becomes like Fox news or MSNBC talking about the opposing viewpoint at some point. The truth of the opinion is highly suspect and the impact is lost.

I still would like to hear why diamonddelts has lost his love for the CW speakers. He proudly talked about how great they were and now apparently says they no longer are.
post #102 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It sort of becomes like Fox news or MSNBC talking about the opposing viewpoint at some point. The truth of the opinion is highly suspect and the impact is lost.

Sure but many seem to take highly subjective positive type posts as truth all too easily. I guess its because it builds that excitement in people generating interest.

If the data exists out there then we should know all about it and then we can make our own decisions of what is important. I know my conclusions are highly accurate ones because I spend $$ and time making sure I have the correct information. If you referencing MSNBC vs FOX then I consider the information I post and the links I have to be Discovery channel and MythBusters type programming

I would just choose designs that have been built with higher accuracy. That is not opinion that is proven by measurements and validated by other expert speaker designers.

Quote:

I still would like to hear why diamonddelts has lost his love for the CW speakers. He proudly talked about how great they were and now apparently says they no longer are.

You should hold off and ask him a year or two from now what his opinion is, it might just change again

post #103 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

Goon, you are coming from excellent speakers so any of these might be a disappointment but you never know, they could surprise you. I know people who like their Klipsch speakers(THX) better than the Jtr's they heard so it all is a preference. I liked the jtr's better so who is right? We both are. You will only know what you like in your room. Sometimes to know for sure you just have to risk the shipping when returning, I do it all the time just so I know for myself.
post #104 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

Folks, Mr. Gai is fond of posting a picture of a SHO-10 which was dropped by Fed Ex from a point high enough that it broke the tweeter.You can get additional information from our user review forum here:

Review Forum

Mr. Gai has also seen pictures of speakers with blotchy finish, splintered wood, waveguides that stick through the fabric, some speakers with just oodles of white fiberfill and others with signficantly less, and speakers with black fiberfill batting partially adhering to the walls. Mr. Gai has also heard of the initial dozen or so SHO's that came with miswired crossovers that severely affected the capabilities of the speakers which users had to rectify -pictures available upon request. Mr. Gai has not seen competent measurements of the speakers other than some crudely done FR curves done outside nor has he seen actual sensitivity measurements performed according to known industry standards. The inconsistent and variable quality should not be foisted off upon the public who IMO are paying beta testers. Other than that I'm sure they're quite musical.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #105 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 07:28 AM

I usually don't have popcorn this early in the day, but what the Heck, let the show begin!
post #106 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Mr. Gai has also seen pictures of speakers with blotchy finish, splintered wood, waveguides that stick through the fabric, some speakers with just oodles of white fiberfill and others with signficantly less, and speakers with black fiberfill batting partially adhering to the walls. Mr. Gai has also heard of the initial dozen or so SHO's that came with miswired crossovers that severely affected the capabilities of the speakers which users had to rectify -pictures available upon request. Mr. Gai has not seen competent measurements of the speakers other than some crudely done FR curves done outside nor has he seen actual sensitivity measurements performed according to known industry standards. The inconsistent and variable quality should not be foisted off upon the public who IMO are paying beta testers. Other than that I'm sure they're quite musical.

Actually, most of us knew buying the speakers that they were a work in progress. When I received mine I had none of the problems you described so there has been progress since the problems you mentioned. There will be growing pains since this is a brand new company. The good news is they sound great! BTW, I returned them. I don't own them anymore so I am not defending my purchase.
post #107 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Can we stick to the speaker the OP is asking about?

There is a thread already for this other speaker or does ever thread about high sensitivity designs end up being about a speaker that is sold to less then 1000 people and its not even known outside of AVS

post #108 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Can we stick to the speaker the OP is asking about?

There is a thread already for this other speaker or does ever thread about high sensitivity designs end up being about a speaker that is sold to less then 1000 people and its not even known outside of AVS

Come on now Penn, this happens in every thread and most of the ID speakers are mostly known on the internet. We can clearly see how this got started.
post #109 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
At the early part of this thread I had my CV CLS-215's set up in a dedicated 2 channel configuration with a pro amp. I really liked the way they sounded. I just wanted to give an update since I have made several changes. I have since added them to my theater as mains. I have also changed the amplification to a pair of mono blocks. These are great as mains in a theater as well as mains for music. It's pretty impressive to have these playing along with 4 subs. I really like these speakers and I still recommend them.
post #110 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:

I still love MY CLS-215. And I am currently looking for an older pair of CLSC-215 speakers. I don't particularly care for the newer higher tuned XLS-215 speakers. They are not the same. Also I don't trust the specs of any of CV's new products produced from late 2009 on after the company was sold to another corporation.

I never cared for any of CV's single woofer models which is what you were asking about. The singled woofer models can sound a bit strained at high volumes which is often what the CV haters of their past models complain of when they talk about a "bloated" bass sound. The dual 15" models have much smoother bass which sounds relaxed and controlled at both mid and high volume levels.

I only suggested the Sho-10's because you were coming from high spl producing speakers such as the JTR's. So I felt the Sho 10's would give you a likewise sound and spl levels for a much cheaper price.

The CLSC and CLS-215 speakers were for people who wanted lower tuned speakers that do not have to be run with subwoofers at all times. At least for common listeners, not for the 10hz bass nuts at forums such as this. Now the tradeoff was they do not have true horns so they don't get as loud as speakers with true high compression drivers such as JTR, Seaton, CHT, and JBL.

These speakers were in a rare middle ground. They have attributes of pro speakers like my pro JBL's(large drivers, efficient) however they were tuned lower which you don't see with many large pro speakers which are tuned down to 40-60hz and are designed to be used with large higher tuned subs for superior midbass.

These speakers also contain soft dome tweeters which are great for music however they do limit max spl levels during HT which I "thought" might disappoint a former JTR owner.

I love having CLS-215 speakers because they have attributes of both pro speakers and home speaker genres but they don't completely fit in either world. However the new XLS-215 speakers are tuned much higher which in my opinion takes away the one advantage of their previous 215 models and places them amongst higher, tuned pro speakers which they can not match in terms of max output.

If I someone wants higher tuned dual 15" speakers that are tuned higher for better midbass then there is no reason not to go with JBL, Peavey, or Mackie. Which still sound great with music and will crush the XLS-215 in max spl levels. I am not a fan of what CV has done with their latest models hence why I rarely suggest them.

As for me I have six CV 215 speakers. And if I can find another deal on another pair of CLSC-215 or CLS-215 speakers I will puchase a fourth set. However my current 6.1 setup performs great for music and very "good" for HT with their inherent spl limitations.
post #111 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 09:33 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I don't care whether we're OT or not. There are readers of this thread that may appreciate my POV.

The formula of the two way, compression tweeter, waveguide, pro LF driver is the correct platform for high performance HT. There are certainly others, but this is the most sound platform IMO.

Also, in my opinion, CHTs Pro/Sho-10 hit the stated goal of reference levels, in room, powered by common AVRs. Yes, many of the early adopters have been in essence beta testers. If they were unsuspecting, they weren't paying attention.

Emphasis on properly voiced (balanced), high SPLs, instead of aesthetics. I'm sure the waveguide/compression driver isn't optimized, nor is the polars at the cross. Do I want to buy it? Not for my primary HT, I'm going active,....maybe elsewhere. Why? Because it's two highly sensitive and robust drivers, in a plain jane box, for a very reasonable price. Refined? Hardly.

I don't have a problem if CHT doesn't have the capability to perform some of the testing others have asked about. I don't care if they've even sent them out for testing. No problem. This is a company in it's infancy, warts and all. They're targeting HT enthusiasts with low margin, high spl offerings. That, I applaud. Are these products optimized, nope, not yet. Their subsequent offerings may slowly trend toward more refinement. The brute force platform is correct, thus refinement gets closer to the ideal.

If the platform was based around an low sensitivity LF driver, and a front loaded soft dome top, refinement would be ultimately fruitless when HT is the application. The point being that the chosen theoretical approach is correct. So further offerings, or additional optimization of the current design, all have the correct foundation from which to operate.

When I consider what the Pro/Sho-10 does offer individuals seeking 3 front LCRs, powered off an AVR, it seems very attractive. The significance of experiencing a dynamic presentation, largely free from the inherent constraints of compression, cannot be ignored.

Thanks

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #112 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I was considering JBL L880's but I found Paragim studio 60's to be sibilant and was concerned I would find the JBL's harsh
post #113 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:

One of the most insulting things I've read on this forum.
post #114 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 369
I would suggest posters get back on topic

I will make some other suggestions by PM to some: this has got to stop
post #115 of 121 Old 12-08-2010, 12:56 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 211
^^^

My apologies. I should never begin a post with
Quote:

I don't care whether we're OT or not.

Thanks

Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #116 of 121 Old 01-07-2013, 05:56 AM

I have a pair of the CLS-215s I bought when they were $800 a pair. I so wish I would have just bought two more pairs, since you can't get them anymore frown.gif

That gravelly voice in the movie Sin City is one of the most powerful things I have heard for dialog.

Yay! A Signature!

post #117 of 121 Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 AM

After some reading on the net and on this forum I finaly decided to bought these CLS-215 monster.
First of all, actually I have some IKON HW28, Sound Dynamics R-818 and Klipsch RF-82 and I just run my speakers with a tiny Stereo receiver Yamaha RX-797 (100w/canal). For music, WOW, the sound is very clear, huge, and the bass is strong. Those CLS sound alot better than all I have, than the Paradim monitor 11 and the focal 726 I listen this month. I just feeling hurry to try them with a good pre-ampli. Seriously it's not just some big bass speaker but the sound is balanced. The bad are their size, and I'm not very impressed by their HT performance. Not bad at all but I prefer my Bic accoustec PL-200 with the Klipsh. But maybe the cause is the insufficientamplication...
post #118 of 121 Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecMagnac View Post

After some reading on the net and on this forum I finaly decided to bought these CLS-215 monster.
First of all, actually I have some IKON HW28, Sound Dynamics R-818 and Klipsch RF-82 and I just run my speakers with a tiny Stereo receiver Yamaha RX-797 (100w/canal). For music, WOW, the sound is very clear, huge, and the bass is strong. Those CLS sound alot better than all I have, than the Paradim monitor 11 and the focal 726 I listen this month. I just feeling hurry to try them with a good pre-ampli. Seriously it's not just some big bass speaker but the sound is balanced. The bad are their size, and I'm not very impressed by their HT performance. Not bad at all but I prefer my Bic accoustec PL-200 with the Klipsh. But maybe the cause is the insufficient amplication...

Salut,

I am very surprised at your finding concerning HT. They seem like a good HT speaker, on paper anyway. What didn't you like about them for that application?

Remember, it's called "AV Science"!

My HT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peter

post #119 of 121 Old 01-09-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
They work very well for home theater once you get them positioned properly and calibrated. It was a lot of work to get them dialed in. I even made some adjustable custom platforms for my CLS-215's in order to get the tweeters and mids aligned with my ears. AppleMark
post #120 of 121 Old 01-09-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Salut,
I am very surprised at your finding concerning HT. They seem like a good HT speaker, on paper anyway. What didn't you like about them for that application?

Hey salut mec du Quebec, about my HT feeling with the vega it's hard to explain but during the movie, when no vocal, no music just a soul sound (exemple during an horror movie), a grit sound is audible, it's little but contaminant and I don't hear that with the Klipsh. On the same way, It's the first time I don't like the .MP3 audio file: down to 320 Kbits/s the sound isn't perfect but with a .Flac file or .Pcm the sound is just perfect with full of detail that I normaly don't hear. My feeling is based on high volume and with just 100w/c... But like I said, I love the CLS 215 and I think you cannot have better speakers for music without breaking the bank.cool.gif
Does I'm the only one the hear that? maybe something isn't working right?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page