New speaker system opinions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi,

I would like to hear opinions from people here at AVS about a new speaker system. I'm trying to decide what to get based on a couple of things. One is about the actual sound quality of the speakers, specifically the fronts for stereo use. My last speakers were Definitive BP2006tls and they had a very good sound. The other is which dipole surround is going to produce a less localizable sound since I may not have many ideal options for placing them. So the less direct sound the better. For example the B&W DS3 is a dipole but I'm wondering if the front driver will make the sound more direct. Alright, so here's what I've narrowed it down to though:

B&W 600
684 fronts
HTM62 center
DS3 surrounds

PSB Imagine
Imagine T Tower fronts
Imagine C center
Imagine S surrounds

KEF Q
iQ70 fronts
iQ60c center
iQ8ds surrounds

Sony DA5700ES
PSB Image T5, PSB Image B5, PSB Image B4, PSB Image C4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-13-2009, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec88 View Post

Hi,

I would like to hear opinions from people here at AVS about a new speaker system. I'm trying to decide what to get based on a couple of things. One is about the actual sound quality of the speakers, specifically the fronts for stereo use. My last speakers were Definitive BP2006tls and they had a very good sound. The other is which dipole surround is going to produce a less localizable sound since I may not have many ideal options for placing them. So the less direct sound the better. For example the B&W DS3 is a dipole but I'm wondering if the front driver will make the sound more direct. Alright, so here's what I've narrowed it down to though:

B&W 600
684 fronts
HTM62 center
DS3 surrounds

PSB Imagine
Imagine T Tower fronts
Imagine C center
Imagine S surrounds

KEF Q
iQ70 fronts
iQ60c center
iQ8ds surrounds

Personally I found B&W 685 for like a monitor and the iQ30s alittle more fun. Being that you can buy the iq70's or even the iQ90 open box at accessories4less for $900 you might want to consider price into the equation. They also have the iQ30s for sides for under $400. I got a pair for $410 shipped and have been happy with them.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-13-2009, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany View Post

Personally I found B&W 685 for like a monitor and the iQ30s alittle more fun. Being that you can buy the iq70's or even the iQ90 open box at accessories4less for $900 you might want to consider price into the equation. They also have the iQ30s for sides for under $400. I got a pair for $410 shipped and have been happy with them.

It just happens I was looking at the KEFs at accessories4less a few days ago after following the link from the KEF site. Yeah I see they do have good prices. I hope they're a good store to deal with if I go with the KEFs.

Sony DA5700ES
post #4 of 6 Old 10-13-2009, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Accessories4Less has a very good reputation.

For surrounds you may want to take a look at the Emotiva ERD-1s. I own a pair - they sound very good. I use them in dipole mode - very diffuse sound. They are on sale now until the end of the month. Emotiva has a no questions 30 day return policy.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 6 Old 10-13-2009, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Accessories4Less has a very good reputation.

For surrounds you may want to take a look at the Emotiva. I own a pair - they sound very good. I use them in dipole mode - very diffuse sound. They are on sale now until the end of the month. Emotiva has a no questions 30 day return policy.

It looks like a nice speaker. The specs show 4 ohms nominal impedance. That would work with the PSBs but might be a problem with the KEFs and B&Ws since they're rated at 8. Another thing I have to consider though is that the sound might not be matched well to the rest of the system.

Thanks for the input on Accessories4Less.

Sony DA5700ES
post #6 of 6 Old 10-15-2009, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

I found a review for the KEF iQ70 that also has some frequency response measurements. If I read it correctly the iQ70s have a response that's impressively flat. But does that necessarily translate to better more neutral sound?

salonav.com

Sony DA5700ES
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page