sansui sp-2000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-15-2009, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I know there have been quite a few threads on "vintage" speakers, and I searched first, but couldn't really find the answer I was looking for. With that said, I am thinking about purchasing a pair of Sansui sp-2000 speakers, they are 4 way, 6 speakers. I don't know a whole lot about this vintage stuff. I just bought a pioneer sx 636 receiver. I'm wondering if these sansui speakers are any good for sound quality. I know the best way is to go listen for myself, but I don't want to drive an hour each way to find out they sound like crap. I'm not looking for something that's going to blow my ears out, just some old speakers with nice sound quality. If these aren't recommended, what brand would be good to look for? I'm only looking to spend around $150. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Sansui speakers are not good sounding. Acoustic Research was good back in the day. However, I think any vintage speaker is just asking for potential DIY (refoaming drivers, crossover upgrades, refinishing cabinets, etc. So, I think, since you are handy, that just getting a NEW speaker kit would give you much better sound quality for your money. These would absolutely slay most (low cost) vintage speakers without a lot of work: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-640

My Blog - Ask Toy Tech
Reply Speakers