NHT SuperOne Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-17-2009, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have recently came upon what I think is a good deal on a set of NHT SuperOne speakers on a local classifieds site. The listing is for five of the speakers, an Atlantic Technology 162PBM subwoofer, and two speaker stands for $300.

Now, my question is, how do these speakers compare to speakers available today? From what I gather, these are fairly old speakers, but they were pretty nice back in the day.

I currently have a 5.1 set of KEF 2005 speakers. One of the rears is busted, so I'm considering mixing and matching these SuperOne's with my KEF's to make a 7.1 setup. Or, if I really like the SuperOne's, then I may just sell the KEF's and use the NHT's.

I know some of you are going to say that I should just go listen to them, but I wanted to get some opinions before I wasted the guy's time. I appreciate any help you guys can provide me with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-18-2009, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a pair and was disappointed. They had some harshness in the treble, and generally a crude sound compared to my PSB B25 that I had before. They didn't have nearly the clarity and detail of the PSB's in the high frequencies. The only advantage little less boxiness and mud in the lower mids.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-18-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
If the seller is local you could ask the him if you can get an audition of the speakers before you buy.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #4 of 9 Old 10-18-2009, 01:00 PM

I've never heard them, but the SuperOne is a pretty well regarded value speaker. I do know good condition ones consistently fetch $150 a pair on eBay. I don't know anything about the sub, but Atlantic has a good following among custom installers, which probably says a lot about service. I may be wrong, but I think they are the parent company of Outlaw Audio.

Bottom line: If everything is still in decent shape, $300 is a steal for a nice starter system or small rooms/bedrooms.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-18-2009, 11:09 PM

I have a pair of Kef Cresta II's which used to be my fronts (Paradigm Studio 100's now with the Kef's as rears) while the NHT SuperOne's were my rears. The Kef's are considerably clearer and more sensitive, had to bump up the volume for the NHT's to match the same level. I'm actually phasing out my NHT's, just the SuperCenter left.

Not sure how my Kef's compare to yours, so this may not be the case.

I would say that is a fair price, not spectacular.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-19-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 176
A friend at work just brought a pair of these over (along with the matching passive sub) to compare with some Salk speakers. The comments you've heard are pretty much what I heard--decent sound with a sub, not very sensitive, kind of opaque on complex material in the lower treble, probably because the minimalist crossover isn't all that well optimized. I measured one of them, and the treble region was elevated above about 8khz, and there was a 4 or 5 dB dip in the crossover region. But the midrange was very smooth. I preferred them to some other commercial speakers I've heard lately, but if crystaline clarity is your goal, these fall a little short.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

I measured one of them, and the treble region was elevated above about 8khz, and there was a 4 or 5 dB dip in the crossover region. But the midrange was very smooth.

Your measurements are a bit different than the ones in the link below.

http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=nht1.html
post #8 of 9 Old 10-19-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Your measurements are a bit different than the ones in the link below.

http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=nht1.html

You're right. My bad. I misread the thread as being about the SuperZero, because that's what I just measured. These eyes are getting old. As for the SuperOne's, I'll stick with what I said on my web page. You could certainly do worse.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-19-2009, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I used to have the kef1005 and the SuperOne. Superone is lot better for everything I heard in my system(huge difference for music).

However, I would sugg pick up 3 used NHT M5 on local sale site for about same price, and use the kef as rears.

I see the atoms free and fine,

That bubble like a sparkling wine;
I see the songs Electrons sing,
Jumping from ring to outer ring;
              - Lister, The Physicist
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page