Dolby Headphone Technology Qs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-18-2009, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings AVSForum (first post!),

Having searched these forums, others and generally the www at large, I find myself without a firm understanding of Dolby Headphones' source, encoding and decoding requirements. Let me explain and maybe you can help clear up my confusion. For context - I'm trying to understand the use of dolby headphone tech on PC (game) audio source output on (of course) headphones.

What I think I know is that Dolby Headphone is an alteration of surround (5.1 channel) source material to create a 2.0 channel (aka stereo) output for use with headphones.

Unless pre-encoded in DH, the source requires encoding to DH. This is the function PC sound hardware (onboard or discrete, if so featured) performs.

Once encoded, the DH source is output from the PC sound hardware and will require decoding to be properly played.

Having written this out - I've confused myself even further, so any clarifying assistance is much appreciated!

-HamsterOfDoom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-18-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Nearly there.

Quote:

What I think I know is that Dolby Headphone is an alteration of surround (5.1 channel) source material to create a 2.0 channel (aka stereo) output for use with headphones.

Correct.

Quote:

Unless pre-encoded in DH, the source requires encoding to DH.

Correct, minus some terminology, I'd change encoding to processed, as encoding suggests compression.

Quote:

This is the function PC sound hardware (onboard or discrete, if so featured) performs.

Not in my area of knowledge, but I would presume this to be correct. You can also get external boxes that take DD, DTS and create a DH stereo signal.

Quote:

Once encoded, the DH source is output from the PC sound hardware and will require decoding to be properly played.

Not correct.

Once the audio is processed by Dolby Headphone it does not need decoding before going to your headphones. Like all digital audio it needs to go through a DAC (either in your soundcard or on a receiver), but that's it.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-18-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome (and fast to boot!). Thanks!

-HamsterOfDoom
post #4 of 5 Old 10-18-2009, 03:41 PM

So Dolby Headphone is for taking 5.1 and sending it to 2.0?

I have a Dolby Headphone button in my sound card drivers software management and when I turn it on while playing Stereo MP3s it makes the MP3s sound as if they were 5.1 tracks, and does it quite well. I always though (and saw) that DH technology was for making stereo sources seem like surround in headphones. And from listening to it, thats what it seems like as well.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-18-2009, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

DH can process both 2.0 and 5.1 into HRTF adjusted stereo signals.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page