LCR + LR Surround vs. 5 matching speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-30-2009, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Our house is prewired for in-wall 5.1 speakers -- 3 on the TV wall, and LR surrounds on the side walls.

I've been getting bids from custom installers and I'm getting conflicting opinions as to whether I should have all 5 speakers matching, or if I should get Front LCR's matching, but using dipole or some other type of side surround speakers.

I'm curious to get some opinions on this. Under what circumstances (room size, ceiling height, speaker placement, etc), would it be beneficial to choose one over the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-30-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
depends, where are the surround placemect in relation t othe sitting area? beside, in front, behind? how many feet behind or in front?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-30-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
take some pictures of your room and post them. go with the AV shop that will setup both in your house to show you the difference.

Regency Park Family Theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-01-2009, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
I'm more interested in what are the "rule of thumb" or opinions on when you would use one over the other. So far I don't feel like any of the installers explained why they chose one over the other... just that they they thought it was "better".

But for the record, I have a very large great room -- approx 20' x 30' that consist of the living room (TV area), then a large dining table, then the island and then the kitchen. It has vaulted high ceilings, with the highest point around 19'. The pre-wire for the surrounds are on the left side and right side of the walls, kind of in between the living area and the dining table -- around 11 feet up.

Thanks in advance!
post #5 of 5 Old 11-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I guess the "rule of thumb" is that all should be the same, or at least from the same manufacturer and speaker family. I would not recommend that you place the surrounds at 11' unless your whole 20x30' room is the "viewing area." Typically, you want the surrounds a little above ear level at the main listening location. The "Ear level" rule applies to all main speakers for that matter.

For your five (or seven) main speakers, concentrate on where they should be located in reference to your "viewing" area. The rest of the room(s) is of less concern except for the subwoofer(s).
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page