Help on upgrading my front speakers in 5.1 setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought the Panasonic SC-HT56 HTIB a couple weeks ago and have been pleased with it. However, I've been thinking about upgrading the front speakers with the Sony SS-F5000e

Can any of the more experienced members enlighten me on the things I need to consider when planning an upgrade?

The receiver is an HT-SA56:

RMS Output Power of each channel driven
1 kHZ Front CH - 125 W per channel, 3 ohms

Rated minimum sine wave RMS power output
120 Hz to 20 kHZ Front CH - 53 W per channel, 3 ohms

The speakers I would like to upgrade to Sony SSF-5000:

150 Watts Maximum Input Power
Impedance: 8 Ohms

I have not been able to find the minimum power requirement for the speakers and the impedance does not match the receiver. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-03-2009, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

I did some research on the subject and it seems that since my receiver is 3 ohms and the speaker is 8 ohms I should be ok. I only need to worry when the speaker impedance is lower than the receiver impedance. Anyone think this would be a worthwhile upgrade?
post #3 of 8 Old 11-03-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

If I was in your situation, I would return the Panasonic HTiB and start over fresh with a decent receiver, good speakers and subwoofer. I am just not a fan of HTiB and speakers from Sony, Panasonic, etc....I like to buy speakers from speaker manufacturer. But that's just me.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-03-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post

If I was in your situation, I would return the Panasonic HTiB and start over fresh with a decent receiver, good speakers and subwoofer.

+1

No offence to the OP, but he's replacing one crap with another. Why bother?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #5 of 8 Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

The setup is for watching Blu-rays as I'm not much of a music listener at home. The SC-HT56 actually does quite well in this regard when you consider that I got it for less than $200 out the door, movies sound fantastic with enough bass to shake the walls. However I'm wondering if I would see any benefit by upgrading the two front speakers. Since I don't listen to music I don't see the need to spend 3-4 times the initial purchase price for something I would rarely use.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-03-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnked6 View Post

However I'm wondering if I would see any benefit by upgrading the two front speakers.

I wouldn't upgrade just two front speakers. If you do, they'll be majorly mismatched against your existing center channel speaker - they'll sound different - voices of actors will not sound the same as the action pans across the screen, which can be quite distracting. It's called timbre matching, and you'll effectively lose it if you swap out just the two front speakers.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #7 of 8 Old 11-03-2009, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, looks like I'll just keep the system as is.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-03-2009, 06:56 PM

The matching center would be the Sony SS-CN5000 which will set you back close to 100 bucks for a total of 230 bucks which is more than you paid for the whole shebang. But if you're happy with what you have now, you prolly won't feel it would be money well spent to upgrade to the Sony front 3. Though it should sound better.

I went down this same road five years ago. I sold the Kenwood HTIB and pieced together a good performing low budget separates system. It did cost over three time more money. But if price is the main issue, well that's why they have HTIB.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page