Romik Speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Montekay
  • 1 Post By chamberspins3
  • 2 Post By RoMikII
  • 1 Post By RoMikII
  • 1 Post By bmikulyak

post #1 of 18 Old 11-07-2009, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I cannot for the life of me find any info on what look to be 60's or 70's floor speakers with a nameplate of "Romik". There is a single 6 to 8 inch speaker on the top and a very open area underneath. They are 31" high x 21.5" wide x 12" deep. The one speaker has a "Made in Holland" sticker on the magnet. I picked there up for free but was unable to ask any questions they were just set outside to be picked up. The grill material is very similar to the old Bose 901's . Thet are very solid and quite heavy. Any info on these would be great as i have searched and searched and yes that includes just about every search engine i could find. Im almost wondering if they are one offs but they seem way to well made. Thanks for helping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-08-2009, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Wow 34 views and nothing! At least im not nuts about not being able to find any info on these.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-08-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamberspins3 View Post

Wow 34 views and nothing! At least im not nuts about not being able to find any info on these.

Post a couple photos, maybe someone will recognize them.

mk
darthray likes this.
post #4 of 18 Old 11-08-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Here are pics minus the cigarette colored nasty yellow 60's/70's grill carpet. Beautiful cabinets Don't know what the opening is for as the speaker area sealed but im thinking 10" woofer might fit. Again thanks to all who try to figure this out I appreciate it!
LL
LL
nelsress likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

O well I guess I'll toss em up to homemade. I dont know who deletes these things but feel free!
post #6 of 18 Old 11-16-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That is some weird looking speaker.

Do they sound any good?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #7 of 18 Old 03-31-2016, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
RoMik speakers

Well I have always been searching the INTERNET for my fathers pen name or company name and finally (it took me a while) someone is asking about it!
Well, I am the son of Robert Mikulyak Sr. who worked for Bell Laboratories in Murray Hill, NJ. He designed, developed, built and sold many pairs of these horn load design speakers. And yes, NOW is the time in years that the drivers are finally dieing. I have been searching for drivers that work in these cabinets for many years. I have learned a little from him about what to look for and how to build these cabinets. But so far, there haven't been any one the market that can reproduce and handle the pressure of the horn that is in this cabinet. I am still searching and lately have had more time to learn about these cabinets. My father is getting old and is now in assisted living. While cleaning out our family residence for the past 60 years, I still have yet to come across his notes on this design. I only have a few concepts and formulas to go by at this time.
But I will try to keep you up to date on these and will prove to you I am whom I say I am by posting a picture of the sales brochure as soon as I can.

Keep watching . . . .
lovinthehd and nelsress like this.

Robert Mikulyak
RoMik II
post #8 of 18 Old 04-25-2016, 06:35 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMikII View Post
Well I have always been searching the INTERNET for my fathers pen name or company name and finally (it took me a while) someone is asking about it!
Well, I am the son of Robert Mikulyak Sr. who worked for Bell Laboratories in Murray Hill, NJ. He designed, developed, built and sold many pairs of these horn load design speakers. And yes, NOW is the time in years that the drivers are finally dieing. I have been searching for drivers that work in these cabinets for many years. I have learned a little from him about what to look for and how to build these cabinets. But so far, there haven't been any one the market that can reproduce and handle the pressure of the horn that is in this cabinet. I am still searching and lately have had more time to learn about these cabinets. My father is getting old and is now in assisted living. While cleaning out our family residence for the past 60 years, I still have yet to come across his notes on this design. I only have a few concepts and formulas to go by at this time.
But I will try to keep you up to date on these and will prove to you I am whom I say I am by posting a picture of the sales brochure as soon as I can.

Keep watching . . . .
good evening, just picked up a pair of these today have not tried them yet or looked inside to see what makes them tick.
cant wait to dig in! would love some more info if anyone has any.
sslome
post #9 of 18 Old 05-06-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:

Keep watching . . . .
You are in luck. I have 2 AD 4877M's brand new and in the boxes.
I am too busy to build anything for them (other than maybe and open baffle).

If you are interested in them please contact me.

Very interesting story about your father. I hope you can find his notes.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-24 11.38.16.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	1425834  
post #10 of 18 Old 05-10-2016, 11:50 AM

Romik drivers

steve I would be interested in your drivers, I think I have the other pair of Romiks on the planet,
please let me know
post #11 of 18 Old 05-10-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
But so far, there haven't been any one the market that can reproduce and handle the pressure of the horn that is in this cabinet.
What horn? Do you mean the Karlson slot with a little extra on top?

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #12 of 18 Old 06-04-2016, 11:15 AM

Post Collecting and researching information

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
What horn? Do you mean the Karlson slot with a little extra on top?
Well this is the first time in a long time I have heard the slot referred to as the Karlson Slot! I forgot all about this! Well, I must admit, I need to research more about each of the components that make this speaker work! I have been searching the Internet for a long time and have only recently found anything about the horn load. So some time soon, I will have to pick all your brains to piece together the inner workings so we can determine if there is a driver out there that can be a direct replacement.

So hold on and keep looking back here for updates. Due to life in general, it will take me some time to reply with anything that I know to aid in the search for drivers.

Meanwhile, I would like to try to collect all the names of people who have these speakers and what they know about them and the ones they own in general. Even though I am the son of the maker, they are a half mystery to me.

So keep posting!
nelsress likes this.

Robert Mikulyak
RoMik II
post #13 of 18 Old 06-04-2016, 11:17 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamberspins3 View Post
I cannot for the life of me find any info on what look to be 60's or 70's floor speakers with a nameplate of "Romik". There is a single 6 to 8 inch speaker on the top and a very open area underneath. They are 31" high x 21.5" wide x 12" deep. The one speaker has a "Made in Holland" sticker on the magnet. I picked there up for free but was unable to ask any questions they were just set outside to be picked up. The grill material is very similar to the old Bose 901's . Thet are very solid and quite heavy. Any info on these would be great as i have searched and searched and yes that includes just about every search engine i could find. Im almost wondering if they are one offs but they seem way to well made. Thanks for helping!
They were from the 50s, 60s. My dad built them and they are rare. The speakers were Norelco and rated at 10 watts. The cab is efficient (20%) compared to 5 for a tuned port. The exponential horn was the secret, flat response and only needed 4 watts to equal other cabs. I a/b,d them.
nelsress likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-04-2016, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hey Chamberspin3, thanks for the "naked" Romik photos! This is my first post here and I'd like to put new grill cloth on the pair of Romik speakers that I just purchased on Friday, can you give me some helpful pointers on removing the old cloth (do you know if it's possible to remove the baffler somehow?) and how it might be best to replace it with new? I suppose I'll try to put some low profile feet on mine to prevent the fraying of the new grill cloth due to it rubbing the floor whenever you go to move them. Based on your photos, it looks like yours have some sort of feet raising them up off the floor. If you could post a couple pics of the bottom of your cabinets it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Nelson
post #15 of 18 Old 07-06-2016, 07:14 AM

Chamberspins3, I was wondering if you think the feet on yours look original? I know of a couple other pair that don't have feet but it makes so much sense to have them that I was thinking they probably are original. So far I love these in two channel applications and would LOVE to find another pair for a second system in my home. They sound really good to my ears, particularly with female vocals, jazz and even rock, if it's well produced like much of Steely Dan/Donald Fagan and Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler stuff. I'm a sucker for "retro", particularly mid century modern so that could be part of their appeal. It's so cool to be part of a forum with the inventor's sons participating too!
post #16 of 18 Old 07-16-2016, 05:20 PM

I really love listening to music with these speakers. They work well as fronts too and sound good but they really excel at two channel listening, IMO. I'd love to find another pair and play with two pairs either together or in two separate, vintage setups.
post #17 of 18 Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsress View Post
can you give me some helpful pointers on removing the old cloth (do you know if it's possible to remove the baffler somehow?) and how it might be best to replace it with new?
Please don't try to remove the baffle! It is part of the working speaker. If you do you will just destroy a piece of history. As far as the grill cloth goes, I should have some of the original cloth available. Taking the speaker apart is not going to be easy. It was glued together and routered at the edges to develop the clean look. I have never tried to remove any of the sides but keep focus on this forum and I will try to post some method of removing the end caps. I may also need to discuss this with my father to see if there is a way or if it is glued for good.

Robert

Robert Mikulyak
RoMik II
post #18 of 18 Old Today, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montekay View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by chamberspins3

Post a couple photos, maybe someone will recognize them.

mk

Love your theater

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page