Cannon TLS passive radiators - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-08-2009, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a pair of these, the tower version. The flat radiator has long since bit the dust. Rather than find replacements. I just stuck some cheap 12" woofers in them to fill the holes. Is this sufficient or will actual radiators sound better? If so, where can I find them?

Also the stock (active) woofers surround rotted away years ago. I bought some Eminence woofers to replace them with. And have recently wanted to upgrade them. Any ideas about a good replacement driver? I know, I should have bought a surrounds replacement kit but I didn't. And somehow the original speaker cones/baskets got tossed out at some point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-13-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone....anyone?
post #3 of 5 Old 11-16-2009, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Am I asking the wrong question or something? Or does nobody know? I have found radiators online, ones that look like a regular driver. The ones I want are the flat faced ones like came in these speakers. Like ones that came in the old Polk's.

Anyone?
post #4 of 5 Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 AM

Liked: 10
I just saw your post today.

It has not been until recently that I have seen replacement parts available. I love my Cannon TLS 1020
speakers that I bought new in 1978 and can now replace the surrounds and passive radiators.

Check out
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/search.asp?keyword=cannon&search.x=16&search.y=9
post #5 of 5 Old 11-15-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by halo71 View Post

I have a pair of these, the tower version. The flat radiator has long since bit the dust. Rather than find replacements. I just stuck some cheap 12" woofers in them to fill the holes. Is this sufficient or will actual radiators sound better?
The mass won't match the designer's spec and the voice-coils will introduce resistance. It will signifigantly alter the sound.
Quote:
Also the stock (active) woofers surround rotted away years ago. I bought some Eminence woofers to replace them with. And have recently wanted to upgrade them. Any ideas about a good replacement driver? I know, I should have bought a surrounds replacement kit but I didn't. And somehow the original speaker cones/baskets got tossed out at some point.
If you don't match impedance and sensativity, then the crossovers will not be correct. If you don't match needed volume (in ft^3), or adjust the volume of the chamber accordingly, then the drivers will not be damped properly. In both cases, sound will be adversely affected.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page