Advice on speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 11-10-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Wondering if anyone who has some speaker knowledge would be able to provide some advice in buying some speakers.

I have an Onkyo TXNR906 ( sorry too new and it won't let me post links due to spammers - just add the http(colon)//www in front) onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR906&class=Receiver&p=s and want to make a home theater/music setup.

Price range is about $1000 - $2000.

I was considering some Polk RtiA7's for front and rear (or is that overkill)? I was also reading a review here: .bestcovery.com/best-floor-standing-speakers-under-1000" and thought the JBL L890's might be nice. The PSB Image T65's looked good too. However I have not heard any of these speakers, I just looked at the specs.

I look forward to any advice - thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Do you like warm neutral sounding speakers or speakers that are a little on the bright side?

Polk SL2000WC $3 DIY mod. Smaller the uf, the less harsh your SL2000 is.
1. SRS: .47 uf/250v mylar cap top SL2000, 1.0 2nd, 1.0 3rd, .47 bottom
2. 2.3: 1.0 middle
3. 1C: 1.0 top
4. 2B: 1.0
post #3 of 26 Old 11-10-2009, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to be honest - I don't know. I'm really new to all this. I currently own no speakers.

I like tight bass, good mids that will allow me to hear voice well and I do like to hear the percussion instruments or in movies the bullets ricochet, etc... However, highs that make my ears bleed and eyes water aren't fun

I understand from reading through these forums that a good center speaker is key to hearing voices, so that will be important.

I listen to all kinds of music, but I would honestly use this as a 60% home theater and a 40% music setup.

I know I'mnot much help, but since I have no speaker experience unless you count the no-name computer speakers I have then perhaps anything will sound good to me. I hope to gain some advice from the forum people here so I will have a decent setup I can enjoy for years. I'm okay with clearance stuff as well, as I should think that even though it is a bit old, it's likely still good? (Or am I way off here?)

Be gentle I'm new
post #4 of 26 Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
$2000 can get you some special speakers - it's worth extra effort.

Keep researching online. Go listen to a whole bunch at high end shops through receivers similar to yours. Bring your own cd's, both male & female vocals.

This will give you an idea of what you like. If you get close to buying be sure to bring home a pair of fronts to audition in your environment before buying.

You mention PSB's, those are great speakers to audition, as are Monitor Audio, B&W, Dali, Paradigm, ERA Design, etc.

After that you will know what you like and be able to critically evaluate Internet Direct should you go that route - in that price range Ascend Sierra-1's are interesting to me - but I've never heard them.

Have fun!

Ron
post #5 of 26 Old 11-10-2009, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Your best bet is start hitting some of the local stores and see what they have to offer. Listening to them will determine which speaker brand you'll enjoy the most. Sound will varies from brand to brand.

Are you looking for 5 speaker and a subwoofer? Definately, getting a good subwoofer is very important for Home Theater use. I would definately take a hard look at SVSound, HSU Research, Epik, Elemental Design, and AV123 MFW 15 (at your own risk). Don't go too cheap on a subwoofer. Or you can try a DIY subwoofer if you are handy.

JBL L890 and the PSB Image T65 have great reviews from many sources when I researched awhile back. Look into Paradigm, DefTech, Monitor Audio, KEF, and Energy as well. Pretty much just hit as many places as possible and find one you like the most. What is the size room you are trying to fill?

You can also look into online brands such as Axiom, Swans, Ascend, AV123, Aperion and so forth as well. They sell their speakers to the public directly from their website. Best way to audition Internet brands is to hit their phones or website and request an audition.
The AV123 Rockets and Ozhometheater Swan Diva 6.1 always gets my vote for around $2K 5.0 system. No matter where you go, Black Friday and Cyber Monday is right around the corner....expect some amazing deals.

Save as much money as you can by buying your wires, cables, hdmi, etc at monoprice.com. Definately one of the best place I ever spent money at.
post #6 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the good advice everyone!

So it sounds like the specs on the speakers don't mean much, but hearing them means everything.
post #7 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

It sounds like I should find the sub first? 12" is good? I could build one, but probably not as well as a company makes one. I'm thinking I need a 7.1 system as my Onkyo is 7.1 (however it is still in the box so I don't even know if it will work in 5.1, I know I'm new ) http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?cl...ver&m=TX-NR906 . The specs say Speaker Impedance 4 ohms-16 ohms or 6 ohms-16 ohms, that should cover just about all speakers correct? I believe it has a reasonable amount of watts per channel to drive a moderate set of speakers?

The final resting place for this setup will be a house, but I have not moved just yet so the exact space size is unknown. I expect to move within a year. However the main family room was my intent if that helps.

Thanks for the monoprice link, saves me a few bucks!

Oh, I also have an APC c10 : http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._sku=753636804 is this any good? They are on sale for 49$ so if they are good go grab one.

My friend send he would sell me his old Polk Rti10's if I paid shipping etc....Are those good? I notice no one mentioned them here. There are a lot of brands mentioned - what would you guys pick if you were buying?
post #8 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_new View Post

Hello,

Wondering if anyone who has some speaker knowledge would be able to provide some advice in buying some speakers.

I have an Onkyo TXNR906 ( sorry too new and it won't let me post links due to spammers - just add the http(colon)//www in front) onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR906&class=Receiver&p=s and want to make a home theater/music setup.

Price range is about $1000 - $2000.

I was considering some Polk RtiA7's for front and rear (or is that overkill)? I was also reading a review here: .bestcovery.com/best-floor-standing-speakers-under-1000" and thought the JBL L890's might be nice. The PSB Image T65's looked good too. However I have not heard any of these speakers, I just looked at the specs.

The RtiA7s are fine sounding speakers. Just bought a pair in July to replace a pair of classic 30 year old ADS speakers. Mated these with a HSU sub and some RtiA3s for surround speakers and a matching center speaker. All are refurb from the Polk refurb. store on e-bay. You can Do quite well at this site and they have quite a few RtiA7s for sale for the next 30 days or so. Figure $600 for the RtiA7s and 200$ to 300$ for a pair of RtiA3,4s or so and maybe 200$ for a RtiA matching center speaker. All plus tax and shipping.
post #9 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Your Onkyo 906 is a very good receiver and should be able to handle most speaker. With that said, I feel you overbought your receiver ( unless you got it for a GREAT, GREAT price). Electronics comes and goes and lose value faster than the stock market right before the Great Depression....ok, not quite as bad but you know what I am saying.

For me, I will spend around $600-800 for a receiver and put the rest of my money into speaker and subwoofer. When I was in your shoe, I wanted the Onkyo 905 but settled for the Onkyo 805 for $600. I felt I could live without a few of those other options and save a ton of money and put it towards what's most important......Speaker and subwoofer. I'm all about BANG FOR THE BUCK stuff....

Getting a good subwoofer will be more important than it is to have a more expensive receiver, my opinion of course. Getting the best you can afford is the best way to go, don't go cheap. I would look into the $600+ range for subwoofer. There is a DIY forum, go there and check out some of the designs, drivers, and people's project...you might find one you like and build one.

As for Polk Rti 10, they are a decent speaker but everyone have their tastes so it may or may not fit your tastes. For me, Polk LSi are the only ones I would really buy.

We have no idea of what you like, so pointing you towards a brand for you is kinda hard..Do you enjoy that sounds bright/forward, netrual, or laid-back/warm? Will this be all for movies? some music? how about games? That's why it's best to audition as many speaker brand as you can and see what you like the most. Just make sure you don't mix and match your front 3 speakers.
post #10 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Rtis are way too bright for music. Energys on the other hand are warm and neutral.

1. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17329952

2. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post17338044

3. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post17050516

4. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...6&postcount=18

5. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84983

6. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=10863

7. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84291

post #11 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

More good info, thank you!

The Onkyo was $1300 tax and shipping included. Kind of spendy, but I was sucked in by all the cool gadgets.

Front 3 speakers need to be matched, didn't know that (good to know!)

As for subs, I have noticed a few people on here use Velodyne, is that the way to go? I am kind of lost with so many different brands and so many models. A starting point will help me get going I have so little time these days with work and school at night

I suppose I will need to get out there and listen to some stuff soon so I can tell if I like it bright or warm, etc... (bright is lots of treble and warm is less?) I'm a total newbie at this, is there a section here for the new to read over and get up to speed on what is what?

p.s. Thanks for the links - I'll check those out.
post #12 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Buying a receiver and sub before knowing what speakers you like seems crazy to me, but, that's a great receiver and Velodyne makes great subs (as do others).

You really should go just listen and not worry about what things are called (warm, neutral, airy, bright, spatial, tubular, etc)). In fact that could color your perceptions a bit. IMO you should have a minimum 2/1 speaker to receiver cost ratio - before sub woofer.
post #13 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 03:07 PM

I prefer going with the internet direct companies myself. They cut out the middle man which means you get more for your money and you don't have to worry about some salesman trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of you. Many of these companies also have 30 day trials of their speakers so if you dont like them you just ship them back. You eat the cost of the shipping though. If you do your research on what you are looking for odds are you will be happy with what you receive and wont have to worry about it anyways. I have only dealt with Axiom and SVS and my system is a mix of their speakers. I have an SVS sub and the rest consists of Axiom speakers. For what you are looking to spend you should check out some of SVS complete systems:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sts01.cfm

A friend of mine has the SBS-01 system and he couldn't be happier with them. I have watched a few movies at his place and I have no problem recommending them to anyone. For what you can spend you could upgrade to the STS line which should sound even better. SVS is extremely well known for their high quality subwoofers so the PB12-NSD sub that the system comes with should make you very happy. If I had heard of SVS when I first put my system together I would probably have a full line of their speakers. I started off with a Klipsch 10 inch sub and later upgraded to the SVS PB13 Ultra.
post #14 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hah! this thing looks awesome but I think it is too much for me!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-9-2003.html

Good link for the SVS stuff. I looked at it and have two questions:

1. Why don't they list their business address on the web site?

2. The specs on the STS-01's say: Operating bandwidth 60Hz - 18kHz ± 3dB. Am I not going to hear the 20Hz - 59 Hz range or is that covered by something else? I'm confused.
post #15 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Ronaldo says to get speakers first before the sub or at the same time. This sounds like a plan to me. I suppose I need to hear all the stuff together or will my Audessy make all the speakers sound right? I now understand the front 3 speakers must match and the rest will synch up with Audessy?
post #16 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Audessey is a great feature that IMO is worth a few hundred on its own - especially for those of me who are more into listening than some other aspects of the hobby. I use it to minimize (won't entirely fix) room deficiencies rather than "matching speakers" though it probably would help with that too.

That said, since you are buying from scratch you should match all 5 (same line from same brand) (I personally would spend my entire budget on 5.1 and if I decided on 7.1 would do it later). If you are planning on listening to music in multichannel (with that receiver I certainly would) then my preference would be monopole speakers for the rears rather than movie specific (dipole) surrounds. I would also want the rears to be big enough to go legitimately below 80HZ (to me this means that they SAY they go to around 58), this helps with crossover to the sub and matching to the fronts - although bass doesn't localize so with a good sub that might be all in my head

Calnds has good advice regarding the sub. I'm not an expert in this area but know firsthand that Velodyne (spendyyyy) and HSU make very good subs. Others do too but I will only comment directly on what I've heard.

You don't need to hear "all the stuff together" if by that you mean your exact sub with the other speakers (I like to make them play with the worst sub that I would reasonably consider buying - it makes me happy to go to high end shops and make them play through mid level receivers & subs) and whatever you listen too I'd listen to it both with and without a sub.

Ron
post #17 of 26 Old 11-12-2009, 11:02 AM

I could not say for sure why they do not post their address online. They are an internet direct company so there is no real need to post it I suppose. They are located near Youngstown Ohio though. I am lucky enough to live about an hour away from them so I saved about a hundred bucks by going to pick up the Ultra myself.

Their speaker lines are meant to be paired up with a subwoofer which will cover the 20-59hz and then some
post #18 of 26 Old 11-12-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Good stuff =)

On a side note, here is a great deal on an Onkyo Receiver if anyone wants it:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1658367

Newegg has Onkyo TX-NR807 THX Select2 Plus Certified 7.2 Home Theater Receiver w/ Ethernet Port + Onkyo UPA1 iPod/ iPhone Dock for $830 - $149 off code RECEIVER1112 = $681 with free shipping. Next best on Google Products for the receiver alone from a rated seller including shipping is $793.
post #19 of 26 Old 11-12-2009, 05:30 PM

Before going all gung ho on speaker selection STOP !. Consider three things first.

What's your room dimensions ?. Standard ceiling height or high ceilings

vaulted open beam ?. Carpeted floors or ?. Do tower speakers work better

for you than bookshelf ?. At what volumes do you normally play music ? or

do you intend to use it primarily for Blu Ray, DVD ?.

Subs play an important role in Bing Bang Butta Boom sound effects .

Furniture, as well as room lay out plays a critical role . Larger rooms benefit

from Dual Subs ( IMO ) rather than some single monster which rattles the

livingroom windows . If you play at moderate to loud listening levels then

Higher db like 90-94 is better. (again IMO ) .

One thing I've noticed many people are readily available with Speaker advice

based on less than stellar knowledge ! , of the total package in which it's

intended to be used for . Quality speakers whether 2 3 or more ways , work

just fine if properly sized and selected with fore though .

Now I'm not going to say matching isn't important but, I didn't and I have NO

REGRETS either . Fronts are 4 way towers, center is 2 way ,surrounds are 3

ways rears are 2 ways . I built fronts and center along with surrounds .

Rears are purchased Bookshelf . All of my speakers which have different

brands of components L & R fronts Scan Speak components .

Center is Vifa components surrounds are a combination of various

components including drivers by bang-olufsen Which I made over 35 years

ago . They still give great sound . Sub is a powered 10 " a friends design and

it bangs away from 22 Hz-82Hz or higher if set .

The one common factor in which all of my speakers share is 90-92 db

efficiency . I don't care for Loud music

I'm picky about true representation of sound and built my center for Dialog .

Got tired of not being able to hear what the dam actors and actresses were

saying during the movie , without blasting what's left of my eardrums .
post #20 of 26 Old 11-14-2009, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Before going all gung ho on speaker selection STOP !. Consider three things first.

What's your room dimensions ?. Standard ceiling height or high ceilings

vaulted open beam ?. Carpeted floors or ?. Do tower speakers work better

for you than bookshelf ?.Room dimensions are currently not huge, but long term plan is for a main room in a house. I think I would prefer tower speakers (not sure if the big speaker, big sound is true) At what volumes do you normally play music ? I'm not a blast it super loud kind of guy, but I do like to hear it.or

do you intend to use it primarily for Blu Ray, DVD ?.I think it will be about 60% Home Theater 40% Music

Subs play an important role in Bing Bang Butta Boom sound effects .No idea on a sub yet, something that matches up to the speakers is all I know

Furniture, as well as room lay out plays a critical role . Larger rooms benefit

from Dual Subs ( IMO ) rather than some single monster which rattles the

livingroom windows .I like this idea, but I can always expand in to this later If you play at moderate to loud listening levels then

Higher db like 90-94 is better. (again IMO ) .

One thing I've noticed many people are readily available with Speaker advice

based on less than stellar knowledge ! , of the total package in which it's

intended to be used for . Quality speakers whether 2 3 or more ways , work

just fine if properly sized and selected with fore though .

Now I'm not going to say matching isn't important but, I didn't and I have NO

REGRETS either . Fronts are 4 way towers, center is 2 way ,surrounds are 3

ways rears are 2 ways . I built fronts and center along with surrounds .

Rears are purchased Bookshelf . All of my speakers which have different

brands of components L & R fronts Scan Speak components .

Center is Vifa components surrounds are a combination of various

components including drivers by bang-olufsen Which I made over 35 years

ago . They still give great sound . Sub is a powered 10 " a friends design and

it bangs away from 22 Hz-82Hz or higher if set .

The one common factor in which all of my speakers share is 90-92 db

efficiency . I don't care for Loud music

I'm picky about true representation of sound and built my center for Dialog .

Got tired of not being able to hear what the dam actors and actresses were

saying during the movie , without blasting what's left of my eardrums . Yes, I want to be able to hear the people talking wihtout having to crank it - I want this from music as well. I'd like to be able to hear the different instruments, etc...
post #21 of 26 Old 11-14-2009, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Question:

People have not really recommended Polk here, I'm getting that they are not quite quality speakers from this. However, there is a deal on so I need to ask you experts:

For $250 dollars each (tax+shipping included) are the Polk Rti 10 a good value for the money? Would I be getting a high end speaker for a great price? http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=28504 I called them up and worked the $250 deal but haven't pulled the trigger.

...or would it be a better deal to get a pair of Rti A7's (refurbished) for $715 (tax+shipping included) or these simply the same speakers but just look different. They seem to have the same specs.

...or am I wasting my time there are is better bang for the buck out there so keep on searching.

Also note, the only speakers I have heard so far are some PSB Alpha's (they were okay I guess - I wasn't thrilled, but the metal grilles were ugly in my opinon).

If I purchased the Polk, would they be what I am looking for based on my earlier comments? (I realized this is a very difficult thing to answer over the net as people's tastes vary - but would you buy them?). I suppose if I got the Polk's (4 Rti's) I would have to match them with 2 Fxi A6's and a Csi 5 or 6? Then some form of sub.

Basically since the Polk thing is a weekend sale am I missing a great deal if I don't get these or not.

I do have to say I went to the B&W web page and the B&W 683 look really nice visually but no idea sounds wise. I'm guessing they are spendy, I haven't been able to locate a price on them.

Anyway, thank you all for you help
post #22 of 26 Old 11-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

The good deals aren't going away anytime soon so if you're not sure what you want, do some more listening and researching before making a final decision.

post #23 of 26 Old 11-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_new View Post

Go with the RTi A7, and you will not regret it... the most bang for the buck.
They shine in the HT department.

As far as being bright for music, well that's what tone control is for.
If it is too bright, reduce the treble.
The same brightness people complain about for music is the very thing that will make you jump off your sit during movies.

Frankly, the A7 are not that bright (no where near some of the Klipsch or Monitor Audio speakers I've heard) unless you have one with a defective tweeter or have a highly reflective room.
post #24 of 26 Old 11-15-2009, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

I listed to the RTi A7's today. The treble sounded distorted (is that what they mean by bright?). However, the guy demoing them didn't seem to know what he was doing so that might have been the issue. By that experience they weren't for me. If I can hear the distortion and I'm new then there is a problem.

I also listened to the Energy CF-50's. They sounded good but flat. I didn't hear the treble at all. Again, might have been a poor set up. These big box stores don't really seem to know much.
post #25 of 26 Old 11-16-2009, 04:21 PM

AV New ; Check these out . Can you live with the price for a package ?.

Fronts SE3's SE Center surrounds SE1's as well as rears . I Personally have NEVER HEARD THEM !.

They seem pricey to me . Now I build what I want ,so it's not fair I recommend Something based on others reviews ; Or is it ?.

Google up a package price and get back with us .

http://www.cepro.com/article/print/p...ening_tests/D1

If that's breaking the bank these are very difficult to beat for $$$ Values and sound very nice .

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...g/emp-tek-e5ti

I listened to those and purchased a pair. Are they the best NO ! the worst ? Not even close !.

A STEAL FOR $ 400 each let alone the PAIR !!!.

Everybody has an opinion and their dream of what you should purchase based on what they like or would like to own .

Listening is paramount with YOUR own CD selection Female ,male voice musical ensemble ,sound effects .
Make one up on your computer , keep it with you when auditioning speakers .

Then YOU WILL KNOW what's right for numero Uno !.BOL ...
post #26 of 26 Old 12-07-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

I want to thank everyone for all the advice, help, and guidance in this process!

I have settled in and decided on some speakers.

Thanks again all!

They were pretty cheap and sound decent.

I'm also wondering if anyone has any info on this brand? http://www.totemacoustic.com/ -Thanks!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page