Forum Jump: 

Old 11-25-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
dfn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

First post here, and I am a newbie at this stuff, so bear with me...

My current setup is just sennheiser 555hd headphones plugged into onboard sound on my mobo. I plan on buying the Forte sound card and want a 5.1 speaker setup that I can use with computer and xb360. Hopefully the forte is a good choice for my headset and whatever speakers I decide to get.

What I will use the system for, in order of preference and frequency:
1) gaming
2) music
3) movies

My budget is $500 (CDN).

And now, my many questions...

Should I be looking to "mix and match" 5 speakers and a sub? Or should I buy one package that has it all?

If I go passive, then my assumption is I need a receiver since the speakers won't be powered? If I go active, then I don't need receiver, correct?

If I buy something like Audioengine A2 speakers, then I'd need the rest of the system to be active/powered as well, and I'd need some way of switching between computer/xb360?

My assumption is that it would be better, for me, to buy passive speakers with a receiver so that I can switch between comp and xb360 easily, and potentially hook up other stuff to the receiver in the future. Is this correct?

Do I need to worry about magnetic shielding with the speakers? If I have center + front speakers close to monitor?

I would appreciate any advice you have, and suggestions/recommendations on what speakers/sub and maybe receiver to buy, for my purposes described above.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
dfn

bump

can anyone help me out?
Old 11-26-2009, 11:11 AM

Liked: 11
So, my thoughts:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by mix and match speakers sub. I wouldn't mix speakers, but the sub can be a different brand.

It seems the best deals right now for speakers are the polk monitor series. I'm assuming that your position to your computer is fairly close so you don't want/need large bookshelves. I'd recommend the Monitor 30s. If you can spring a bit more money I'd highly recommend the Polk Rti4s which can also be found at a steal. These are the speakers I have right now and I absolutely love them for the price I paid.

Another option is getting a cheaper onkyo home theatre in a box (htib) and slowly upgrade from there as budget permits.

Hope this helps get you going.

Remember though, the final judge when it comes to speakers is you. Speakers are very subjective and once you realize what to listen for in speakers you'll be able to pick the one that matches your tastes and preferences.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:37 PM

Liked: 12
You can get the Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 speakers for around $200 (US) and find a receiver for $150-$200 (US).
Check Friday's sale ads, cheapest prices of the year.

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver
Infinity Beta 5.1
Samsung UN55FH6200F (Costco) LCD TV
Old 11-26-2009, 03:43 PM

Liked: 12
Also there seems to be some good deals on older/close out Home theater in a Box (HTiB) starting around $300(US)

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver
Infinity Beta 5.1
Samsung UN55FH6200F (Costco) LCD TV
Old 11-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Energy Take Classic:

1. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

2. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1186671

3. http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...classic-review

4. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post17594935

Polk SL2000WC $3 DIY mod. Smaller the uf, the less harsh your SL2000 is.
1. SRS: .47 uf/250v mylar cap top SL2000, 1.0 2nd, 1.0 3rd, .47 bottom
2. 2.3: 1.0 middle
3. 1C: 1.0 top
4. 2B: 1.0
Old 11-26-2009, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
dfn

@Dark05:
Your assumption is correct. I haven't been able to find either of those speaker pairs locally. Any idea where Polk Rti4s can be had for a steal?
So far I have been able to listen to 0 speaker setups. The stores here suck. They either don't have what I want, or the ones they have setup are out of my price range. Not very accommodating to customers since they can't/won't setup what I want to hear.

@Tacoboy:
Thanks for the suggestion. The only place that has it locally is expensive...600+ tax (I live in Calgary, Canada). Gotta check how much customs would be if I ordered everything from the US.

@cornhulio:
Thanks for the links. With that, it is the same thing for me as the rest, basically... not available locally/in Canada (that I can find), so I have to check info for customs.