Need recommendations on home theatre speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-26-2009, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have an Onkyo TX-NR5007 receiver. I had the Klipsch Icon XF-48's tower speakers, Klipsch XL-23's for my center and surround, and a Klipsch XW-500d powered sub. I was happy with the speakers so I sold them. I am looking to upgrade but don't want to break the bank. I would like to stay under 2,000.00 if possible and I prefer a sleeker system. Not into big and bulky. I want the most sound for the size and money. The Klipsch speakers seem to have a lot of distortion when watching movies, during vocals (at certain high frequencies, like when a character in the movie is yelling, the highs would sound distorted). Any recommendations?? Any good deals anywhere? Also, powered sub recommendations? The system is going to be in a large room.

Thank you,

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-27-2009, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don,

Nothing specific, but I suggest you start your search with internet direct companies like Axiom Audio and SVS (especially for the sub). While you look online, go to your local 'higher end' (i.e. not Best Buy) and listen to as many brands as you can. Pick out your favorites and then give the internet direct a shot. If after a few weeks you do not like the ID speakers, send them back and get your favorites locally.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-27-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I will give that a try...Just wondering what brands and models to look out for. How is Polk Audio? The Lsi series vs Rti?
post #4 of 13 Old 11-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don480 View Post

Thanks, I will give that a try...Just wondering what brands and models to look out for. How is Polk Audio? The Lsi series vs Rti?

The LSis are very hard to drive and usually require a stand-alone amp like a emotiva and the Rtis are very much on the bright side if that is your taste in speakers. Energy RCs are just the opposite, very warm and neutral.

Polk SL2000WC $3 DIY mod. Smaller the uf, the less harsh your SL2000 is.
1. SRS: .47 uf/250v mylar cap top SL2000, 1.0 2nd, 1.0 3rd, .47 bottom
2. 2.3: 1.0 middle
3. 1C: 1.0 top
4. 2B: 1.0
post #5 of 13 Old 11-27-2009, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. Yeah, that was the problem with my Klipsch speakers...they were very bright and harsh. I like more neutral sounds. I really like the sounds at a movie theater where the sounds are very subtle and deep but not too high on the higher notes. Smooth is what I a looking for.

Thx,

Don
post #6 of 13 Old 11-27-2009, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by don480 View Post

I was happy with the speakers so I sold them.

HAHA! ok typo right?

2 Energy RC-30 Towers $600 wwstereo (rosenut)
1 Energy RC-Mini CC $275 anywhere (rosenut)
2 Energy RC-Mini $200 Vanns (rosenut)

1 HSU VTF-3 MK3 $679 (rosenut)

Second option

2 PSB T45 Towers $529
1 PSB C60 Center $279
2 PSB B25 Surrounds $319 Saturday Audio

1 HSU VTF-3 MK3 $594 (black)
post #7 of 13 Old 11-27-2009, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

LOL...Yeah I ment to say I was not happy with the sound. Thanks for catching that hahaha.

Don
post #8 of 13 Old 12-16-2009, 09:47 PM

I have the same speaker setup you do with an Onkyo NR-tx1007. I am surprised they sound so bad. I can turn these up so loud you can't hear a person beside you yell which is over reference level and still no distortion at all. Maybe they are defective. I have watched most of my favorite movies and played mamny different music types and have had no issues.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-18-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare96ws6 View Post

I have the same speaker setup you do with an Onkyo NR-tx1007. I am surprised they sound so bad. I can turn these up so loud you can't hear a person beside you yell which is over reference level and still no distortion at all. Maybe they are defective. I have watched most of my favorite movies and played mamny different music types and have had no issues.

We all have our own likes and dislikes. What sounds good to you may not sound so good to others.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Lots of options, but I think many here believe internet direct companies give you very good value for the money.

Axiom and SVS have been mentioned. AV123 is another one. I bought Ascend Acoustics, and like them.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../spkrlist.html

THe Sierra is "sleek," being a bookshelf size, and if you get three in light cherry (on sale right now) plus 2 HTM-200 surrounds it's about $1400, so you have $600 left over for a sub. Nothing wrong with Ascend's other speakers either, and they are less money.

Although the rule of thumb is you should spend about twice on speakers as you spent on a receiver, because speakers have more impact on sound than the electronics. Since you spent about $1800 on your 5007, that means $3600 for speakers.

Rules are meant to be broken, so you can do what you want. But even without going that high you could do three Sierras, and six HTM-200 surrounds (for the full 9 channels), for somewhere around $1800 or so. Then you could spend about $1000 or so on a really nice sub, like a Rythmik, SVS, or even an Epik. Or buy two slightly lesser subs to better fill your large room, like Elemental Designs, Hsu, Outlaw, or SVS NSD.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-18-2009, 04:24 PM

Wow. I did not realize the AVR was that much. I agree, you overspent on the AVR (unless there is a really good reason you NEEDED it). Always put the bulk of your funds in the speakers (and most for the sub). This is true until you get in the higher end of this hobby...
post #12 of 13 Old 01-30-2010, 04:57 AM

I waited a very long time to buy what I really wanted, because I knew it would be expensive. I purchased a pair of Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand speakers and Vienna Maestro center channel speaker in 2006 from Best Buy. I'm still using my old Boston Acoustics speakers for rear surround...they will be my next upgrade but I'm not sure yet if I want another set of towers or smaller speakers mounted to the wall. My AVR is a Denon 4306 I paid around $2000 for, and I added a REL sub for another $1200. I could not be happier with the Vienna Mozarts...they sound awesome with any kind of music. I suggest you do not compromise on speakers.

Hollie
post #13 of 13 Old 01-30-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo_gto View Post

I waited a very long time to buy what I really wanted, because I knew it would be expensive. I purchased a pair of Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand speakers and Vienna Maestro center channel speaker in 2006 from Best Buy. I'm still using my old Boston Acoustics speakers for rear surround...they will be my next upgrade but I'm not sure yet if I want another set of towers or smaller speakers mounted to the wall. My AVR is a Denon 4306 I paid around $2000 for, and I added a REL sub for another $1200. I could not be happier with the Vienna Mozarts...they sound awesome with any kind of music. I suggest you do not compromise on speakers.

Hollie

If the OP has also waited a very long time to buy then this advice may be useful.

Nice speakers btw!

Ron
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page