Confusion about Energy's lineup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-29-2009, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a little advice with setting up the audio for my home theater. I'm working with a fairly small room, probably 12x12-ish that has a conventional shape, but an unconventional seating position. The TV is set at a diagonal in the corner of the room, with the "ideal" seat at the opposite corner of the square room.

Due to the small size, running a 7.1 seemed like a bit of overkill. I've pretty much decided on the Onkyo HT-RC160 for a receiver because it will allow me to run the extra two channels as a Zone 2, and has an additional subwoofer pre-out for Zone 2.

Now, with that receiver in mind, I could just buy the Onkyo HT-S7200 HTIB. I'd pair it with a LG BD390 (also my Blu-ray player of choice) and be done. The disadvantages of this option, though, are the relatively large speaker size of the system, and the fact that I could probably put together a better sounding system for about the same amount of money (see below)

Option 2 is similar. Same receiver, same BD player, but using the Energy Take 5 Pack speakers. I'd need to pair this with some type of a subwoofer... any suggestions would be helpful (Energy ESW-V8?).

I could then also use the speakers and sub I have hanging around from this as my 2.1 Zone 2 audio... basically fo' free. My only concern being whether or not the receiver would be too powerful for the speakers and/or any issues with getting it all to jive together because the Klipsch is an all in one system.

Doing more research, I'm turning up some other speaker package options. I can't seem to get a clear picture of how they all work in terms of "high end" to "low end" with each other. I guess is terms of speaker options, along with the Take 5 + ESWV8, I'm now considering the Take Sat 5.1 (I'm unsure about that retailer), and the C-50 5.1 (I can't find a retailer for that...). Any help in sorting through the different options would be appreciated.

Option 3. This is the non-audiophile solution. Try to track down an LG LHB979 when it finally comes out. Has an LG BD player built in, has wireless rears, and looks all sorts of shiny. I'm only considering this because it has limited receiver like functions (2 additional HDMIs in), and I currently have an LG TV that I like.

Apologies for the long post, but I think there are a few audio geeks on here who I though might be able to offer some advice.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page