Yamaha - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 12-01-2009, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did a search, had a few random hits but nothing really worth bumping. Is there no dedicated Yamaha speakers thread? Are there any Yamaha speakers owners or fans on here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-02-2009, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Other than my subwoofer, I have an all-Yamaha setup:

2 NS-555s as fronts, NS-444 as center and NS-125Fs as rear surrounds, HTR-6160 is my receiver.

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
post #3 of 19 Old 12-02-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Sadly there is nothing outstand about them. Pretty run of the mill design that sticks them in the middle with a lot of mfgs. And since few places sell them, you don't get many people to buy them.

They aren't a bad speaker for the money. They are appropriately priced for what they do.

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
post #4 of 19 Old 12-02-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I have four complete 20 year old Yamaha AST-1 Systems, each comprises an AST-A10 amp and 2x AST-S1 speakers; the nominal system/speaker frequency response is 28 Hz to 20 kHz. This is really a three piece active speaker system: The AST-S10 amp section can be switched to 'FLAT' for use with a conventional speaker, or 'custom equalized' for a the AST-S1 speakers, but the AST-S1 speakers cannot be used with a conventional power amp!

In the 1980s, US consumers associated deep bass with large cabinets, so the AST-1 System's 8"x12"x9" speakers did not gain much acceptance [plus the MSRP was around US$1450], and I mostly saw them remaindered.

I use mine as the L/C/R on two systems. Easy placement for L/C/R does not however equate to ideal bass response, and I have to add a conventional sub to each system. Yamaha gave up using the active servo technology to build compact full range speakers, but continues to use it for their sub woofer line today.

What looks like a conventional front port is the 'air woofer' associated with the speaker's Helmholtz Resonator design; I can feel air puffs from soundtrack explosions six or seven feet in front of the port.

After Yamaha lost a name ownership lawsuit, they renamed everything from AST 'Active Servo Technology' to YST 'Yamaha Servo Technology' so creating alternate names: YST-1 System, YST-A10 amp, and YST-S1 speaker . . . plus lots of confusion!

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #5 of 19 Old 12-07-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuenMuner View Post

Other than my subwoofer, I have an all-Yamaha setup:

2 NS-555s as fronts, NS-444 as center and NS-125Fs as rear surrounds, HTR-6160 is my receiver.

Hi TuenMuner,

Thanks for the response. Would you mind elaborating maybe on the overall sound of your system? Or how each speaker specifically i.e. your fronts, center and surrounds sound independently. Are you happy with how they all sound together and the balance or do you feel maybe one outshines the other in regards to the fronts vs the center or anything like that. Are you pretty happy with your system?
post #6 of 19 Old 12-07-2009, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

I have four complete 20 year old Yamaha AST-1 Systems, each comprises an AST-A10 amp and 2x AST-S1 speakers; the nominal system/speaker frequency response is 28 Hz to 20 kHz. This is really a three piece active speaker system: The AST-S10 amp section can be switched to 'FLAT' for use with a conventional speaker, or 'custom equalized' for a the AST-S1 speakers, but the AST-S1 speakers cannot be used with a conventional power amp!

In the 1980s, US consumers associated deep bass with large cabinets, so the AST-1 System's 8"x12"x9" speakers did not gain much acceptance [plus the MSRP was around US$1450], and I mostly saw them remaindered.

I use mine as the L/C/R on two systems. Easy placement for L/C/R does not however equate to ideal bass response, and I have to add a conventional sub to each system. Yamaha gave up using the active servo technology to build compact full range speakers, but continues to use it for their sub woofer line today.

What looks like a conventional front port is the 'air woofer' associated with the speaker's Helmholtz Resonator design; I can feel air puffs from soundtrack explosions six or seven feet in front of the port.

After Yamaha lost a name ownership lawsuit, they renamed everything from AST 'Active Servo Technology' to YST 'Yamaha Servo Technology' so creating alternate names: YST-1 System, YST-A10 amp, and YST-S1 speaker . . . plus lots of confusion!

Those look pretty cool! I'd love to hear some.

Ron
post #7 of 19 Old 12-07-2009, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin View Post

Sadly there is nothing outstand about them. Pretty run of the mill design that sticks them in the middle with a lot of mfgs. And since few places sell them, you don't get many people to buy them.

They aren't a bad speaker for the money. They are appropriately priced for what they do.

Have you listened to most of their newer speakers and come to that conclusion by comparing them to other mfgs. in similar styles and price range? I am asking because I am looking to upgrade from my old DCM's to a new 5.0 (already have a sub) bookshelf system and Yamaha's are one of four I think, mfgs. the nearest a/v store supports. So here I am looking for advice really. I will definitely be listening to anything I decide on purchasing before doing so, so I think that rules out most online vendors for me. I have a Yamaha RX-V465 receiver but that is just coincidental and I am not attached to Yamaha speakers it's just that they carry the full line at my nearest a/v store.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hi SoundChex,

Thanks for that info. I like the traditional look of those minus that 'air woofer' through the cover as it looks a little quirky. Having four of those systems I'd imagine they sound pretty nice and you are very happy with them.
post #9 of 19 Old 12-07-2009, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma Donor View Post

Have you listened to most of their newer speakers and come to that conclusion by comparing them to other mfgs. in similar styles and price range? I am asking because I am looking to upgrade from my old DCM's to a new 5.0 (already have a sub) bookshelf system and Yamaha's are one of four I think, mfgs. the nearest a/v store supports. So here I am looking for advice really. I will definitely be listening to anything I decide on purchasing before doing so, so I think that rules out most online vendors for me. I have a Yamaha RX-V465 receiver but that is just coincidental and I am not attached to Yamaha speakers it's just that they carry the full line at my nearest a/v store.

I am curious - what is your current sub & price point?

Ron
post #10 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Ron,

I'm not really sure what my exact budget is, I just know that I want to be happy with my purchase. I know my budget is definitely not top dollar but budget to moderate? if that makes sense. Around the $250-300 possibly 350 range? My sub is really old, 10 years plus, but I am still happy with it and it gets the job done. I don't know the model number off the top of my head, I would have to check but it's an old Velodyne.

I know that I probably should have posted this elsewhere but Yamaha speakers are one of my options and I kind of just didn't want to create another "What Speakers Should I Get" thread. Alot of the speakers that people seem to like and suggest on here I don't think are local to me and I wouldn't be able to go and listen to them.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Ron,

... Alot of the speakers that people seem to like and suggest on here I don't think are local to me and I wouldn't be able to go and listen to them.

Where are you located? Music to HT ratio?

Ron
post #12 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

I think the other speakers they carry are Jamo, Klipsch and Paradigm. The only ones I have heard before are Klipsch. The others I don't know anything about but the guy I spoke with suggested I look into Paradigm Atom's, I think. I was told that the Jamo's they carry would most likely be over my budget which if I remember I told him was $300.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

I live in south central Kentucky. I watch movies more often but I do love music and have those days where I just kick back, drink some beers and listen to music for hours.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I live in south central Kentucky. I watch movies more often but I do love music and have those days where I just kick back, drink some beers and listen to music for hours.

Infinity or Energy are interesting at that price point.

The reason I asked about location was to see if I could identify speakers near you worth auditioning. I've never heard Jamo, cheaper Klipsch don't interest me, Paradigm makes great speakers but not at your price point - listen to paradigms in the $600-$700 price range and then go buy Studio 20s from Audiogon if you like them.

These suggestions are heavily biased towards kicking back, drinking beer, and listening to music for hours but they will sound great for HT too.

Ron
post #15 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Do they sell Infinity or Energy at Best Buy? See, I have heard alot of negative things about Klipsch speakers but I actually thought they sounded pretty good. That may not be saying much compared to my DCM's though. I used to listen to alot of Hiphop, Rock and Electronica and for that my big, boomy, DCM's really excelled. Loud mids, loud highs and the bass they put out would rattle your brain. I don't remember the Klipsch models I listened to but I would probably recognize them if I saw them. I see alot of people describe Klipsch speakers as harsh and fatiguing and I am no audiophile but I would describe the ones I heard as sharp and impactful. Maybe a little too sharp for what I am looking for but I would like to find something just as impactful. I think I'd like something similar but maybe with a more rounded edge in the highs, transparent, room filling mids and not necessarily deep bass as I have the sub for that but clean and rich bass. Bass that would be enough to not always need the sub for stereo listening. I may interpret them differently but a couple of adjectives I see people using on here at different times are engaging and refined and those both sound like what I am looking for.

Like my wannabe audiophile attempt at a description there? LOL
post #16 of 19 Old 03-09-2010, 06:07 AM

I have 3 sets of ast-a10 amps and three pairs of ast-s1 speakers with 4 cartridges one being for regular speakers. I thought we should stay in touch so as not to let these fine systems go to waste when the individual components start to deteriorate.
I also have a question. Can you tell me if the ast-sc10 speakers are compatible with the asta10 amp with ast-ks1 cartridge. I have not been able to find info on these speakers. The ast-sc10 speakers have a plastic enclosure instead of the plywood of the asts1 speakers. On the ast-sc10 speakers I do see the characteristic port in the front and the model number seems to imply a connection to the the ast-a10 amp. I have seen them sell as a set with the -ks1 cartridge just once and was interested in finding out more about compatibly / interchangeability concerning appropriate cartridge. I appreciate any insight you might have to share.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-09-2010, 06:09 AM

I have 3 sets of ast-a10 amps and three pairs of asts1 speakers with 4 cartridges one being for regular speakers. I thought we should stay in touch so as not to let these fine systems go to waste when the individual components start to deteriorate.
I also have a question. Can you tell me if the ast-sc10 speakers are compatible with the asta10 amp with ast-ks1 cartridge. I have not been able to find info on these speakers. The astsc10 speakers have a plastic enclosure instead of the plywood of the asts1 speakers. On the ast-sc10 speakers I do see the characteristic port in the front and the model number seems to imply a connection to the the ast-a10 amp. I have seen them sell as a set with the -ks1 cartridge just once and was interested in finding out more about compatibly/interchangeability or appropriate cartridge application . I appreciate any insight you might have to share.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-09-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterkopec View Post

I also have a question. Can you tell me if the ast-sc10 speakers are compatible with the ast-a10 amp with ast-ks1 cartridge. I have not been able to find info on these speakers. The astsc10 speakers have a plastic enclosure instead of the plywood of the asts1 speakers. On the ast-sc10 speakers I do see the characteristic port in the front and the model number seems to imply a connection to the the ast-a10 amp. I have seen them sell as a set with the -ks1 cartridge just once and was interested in finding out more about compatibly/interchangeability or appropriate cartridge application . I appreciate any insight you might have to share.

It looks like the AST-SC10/YST-SC10 speakers were part of a YST-C10 'Compact Component System' . . . and not sold separately...? So the custom equalization curve was built into the amp, and not into a [separate] cartridge (the equalization curve must be common to both the AST-SC10 and AST-SC30 speakers). It's probably safe to connect the AST-SC10 and AST-SC30 speakers to any conventional amp, but connecting them to an AST amp enabled with one of the 'custom cartridges', e.g., AST-KS1, might be problematic...?!

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #19 of 19 Old 03-09-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Yamaha bookshelf review and "shoot out" http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...-shootout-2009

You mentioned Jamo speakers...a current sale on the E680 towers is an excellent opportunity http://www.wwstereo.com/website/ecom...&per=9&brd=103
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page