Final Setup... how does it look? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my final setup, for a 3.1 setup - maybe 5.1. The order for the rti8's were placed on Sunday for about $360/shipped. If the majority say it's not a good setup I still have the chance to cancel.

Also, primarily used for movies/gaming.

Receiver - Onkyo 605
Center - Polk CSi25
Fronts - Polk RTi8 (I can change this if it's not a good choice)
Rears - Either use my existing fronts (Polk R50s) or some test ones I got (tSc Dipoles)
Sub - Dayton SUB-120 12" 150 Watt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-07-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Who cares how it looks on paper. It's how it SOUNDS that's important. And the ONLY one who can determine if it sounds good to you is YOU.

John W.
Indy
post #3 of 23 Old 12-07-2009, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls View Post

Who cares how it looks on paper. It's how it SOUNDS that's important. And the ONLY one who can determine if it sounds good to you is YOU.

True, but if the majority of people say an Onkyo 605 and Rti8's together sound like crap, then most likely I will think they sound like crap too.

I'm getting the Rti8s from Frys and don't want to get them and they sound horrible and have to spend $60 to ship them back to Frys. I don't live in an area that has a Frys.
post #4 of 23 Old 12-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpals View Post

True, but if the majority of people say an Onkyo 605 and Rti8's together sound like crap, then most likely I will think they sound like crap too.

Why would the Polk's sound like crap with the Onkyo? If the Polk's are going to sound like crap, they are going to sound like that with just about ANY amp or receiver.

That Onkyo is a good entry level receiver, and those Polk's are fairly nice speakers. They are not going to sound like crap. If you have no experience with home theater, I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck.

I like Ice Cream!
post #5 of 23 Old 12-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

The existing center is the new weakest link.
post #6 of 23 Old 12-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have no idea how it looks. You didn't post any pictures.
Sarcasm aside, I think the setup is really good for that price point. You will love how it sounds.
As for the "how does this sound on said receiver" portion, I only have this to say. There really is no such thing as a warm receiver or a bright receiver. If the EQ is setup correctly there will be no audible difference between and Onkyo, Yamaha or Sony. The only difference is that the default EQ settings will add the warm/bright characteristic to the the receiver. Once it is EQ'd properly, there will be no difference.
(this of course depends on the components used. Most receivers in the same price range use the same components and just slap their own sound processors to differentiate features)
post #7 of 23 Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post

Why would the Polk's sound like crap with the Onkyo? If the Polk's are going to sound like crap, they are going to sound like that with just about ANY amp or receiver.

That Onkyo is a good entry level receiver, and those Polk's are fairly nice speakers. They are not going to sound like crap. If you have no experience with home theater, I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck.

Nope, no real experience besides what's listed above.

Would it better to move my R50s to the rear (if I have room) or use the test tSc dipoles I bought for a $100 that haven't shipped yet? They're completely different types of speakers, which is why I'm not sure what would be optimal. I like the idea of the dipoles so I can put them on stands and not use up as much floor space.
post #8 of 23 Old 12-07-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post

I have no idea how it looks. You didn't post any pictures.
Sarcasm aside, I think the setup is really good for that price point. You will love how it sounds.
As for the "how does this sound on said receiver" portion, I only have this to say. There really is no such thing as a warm receiver or a bright receiver. If the EQ is setup correctly there will be no audible difference between and Onkyo, Yamaha or Sony. The only difference is that the default EQ settings will add the warm/bright characteristic to the the receiver. Once it is EQ'd properly, there will be no difference.
(this of course depends on the components used. Most receivers in the same price range use the same components and just slap their own sound processors to differentiate features)

Cool, thanks. Where would I post once I get all my speakers physically installed to ask questions about the proper settings for my equipment - receiver, PS3, TV, etc?
post #9 of 23 Old 12-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Nope, no real experience besides what's listed above.

Would it better to move my R50s to the rear (if I have room) or use the test tSc dipoles I bought for a $100 that haven't shipped yet? They're completely different types of speakers, which is why I'm not sure what would be optimal.

That you are going to have to test out yourself and see what sounds better to you. I'd be inclined to say stay with the Polk family all the way around, buy you may like the wide rear soundstage the dipole's throw out. Try both out.

I like Ice Cream!
post #10 of 23 Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

I think the Rtis are going to be bright for music no matter what receiver is used.

1. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17329952

2. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post17338044

3. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17546982

Polk SL2000WC $3 DIY mod. Smaller the uf, the less harsh your SL2000 is.
1. SRS: .47 uf/250v mylar cap top SL2000, 1.0 2nd, 1.0 3rd, .47 bottom
2. 2.3: 1.0 middle
3. 1C: 1.0 top
4. 2B: 1.0
post #11 of 23 Old 12-08-2009, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhulio View Post

I think the Rtis are going to be bright for music no matter what receiver is used.

1. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17329952

2. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post17338044

3. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17546982

Too late to change... already purchased.

Also, I'm begining to think you just have something against Polk or just have a canned reply for anyone starting these threads cause you posted the exact same reply with 'proof' links in my other thread.
post #12 of 23 Old 12-08-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Final Setup... how does it look?

If the majority say it's not a good setup I still have the chance to cancel.

Quote:

Also, I'm begining to think you just have something against Polk or just have a canned reply for anyone starting these threads cause you posted the exact same reply with 'proof' links in my other thread.

You know.... you ask for opinions and then s**t-can some that don't fit the acceptance you're looking for.... why?

Look, just unpack your Polks and Onkyo and be happy no matter what they sound like. You didn't invest the time or effort to listen and audition before you made the purchase so obviously how they sound isn't that big of a concern in reality anyway.

Good luck with your rig. I hope it gives you the enjoyment you are looking for. I'm sure it will.

John W.
Indy
post #13 of 23 Old 12-08-2009, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls View Post

You know.... you ask for opinions and then s**t-can some that don't fit the acceptance you're looking for.... why?

Look, just unpack your Polks and Onkyo and be happy no matter what they sound like. You didn't invest the time or effort to listen and audition before you made the purchase so obviously how they sound isn't that big of a concern in reality anyway.

Good luck with your rig. I hope it gives you the enjoyment you are looking for. I'm sure it will.

Thank you for assuming you know who I am... I just found it odd that two threads I started about Polk speakers the user posted the exact same message/links without saying why HE thought I shouldn't get them. I have no problem with someone saying they do or don't like a product if they in fact have experience with it.

Also, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to audition a set of speakers that are only sold online... every place I looked locally does not sell these.

Thanks for the sarcasm though.
post #14 of 23 Old 12-08-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinipux77 View Post

Yep, I agree. I'd get the CSi3 instead of the Csi25 center.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Cen...0289468&sr=1-1

Afro GT
post #15 of 23 Old 12-08-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to audition a set of speakers that are only sold online... every place I looked locally does not sell these.

Hmmm.... well you make certain they have a return policy, you order them, try them out and compare them to your present speakers or another brand you might be considering and if you don't like them, return them. pretty simple to audition really. So WHAT if you take a small hit on return shipping or a restock fee? The investment is well worth it to find something that sounds the best to YOU in your room on your gear don't you think?

Or maybe youre just happy with a few schmo's on an internet forum saying they're great so in your own mind they WILL be great. The thing is, it may or may not all work out that way in reality. I hope it does.... I REALLY do. And no, no sarcasm intended at all.

John W.
Indy
post #16 of 23 Old 12-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I learned the hard which may or may not happen to you. Having vintage SDA polks which are used only for 2 channel music, I assumed the used CSI3 center I bought would at least be tolerable for music but it wasn't. I've heard the same about the RTIs and also a few complaints about the Monitors.

post #17 of 23 Old 12-09-2009, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I learned the hard which may or may not happen to you. Having vintage SDA polks which are used only for 2 channel music, I assumed the used CSI3 center I bought would at least be tolerable for music but it wasn't. I've heard the same about the RTIs and also a few complaints about the Monitors.

So you're saying I'll probably feel the need/want to upgrade my center after I get the fronts setup? CSi5 do the trick?
post #18 of 23 Old 12-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So you're saying I'll probably feel the need/want to upgrade my center after I get the fronts setup? CSi5 do the trick?

No, that's afrogt and I started telling 2 days ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinipux77 View Post

CSi5 is the best for your set up (or the newer CSi A6) if you have room to place it well. Otherwise, don't jump the gun, and just get things set up with the new fronts once they arrive. Try it with and w/o CSi25 by turning it off on the receiver, and go with what sounds best to you, not what we tell you to do. CSi5's much smaller brother CSi3 has many happy owners, too. I've had both, and while CSi5 is better, pacing it correctly in your system may be a pain. CSi3 is within 1" of CSi25 in all directions, but still a little larger.

Matched center is a key for enjoyable movie and music, which our friend Cornhulio had to learn the hard way. CSi25, while sub-optimal, is arguably a closer match in your system than CSi3 was in theirs.

Quote:

...I assumed the used CSI3 center I bought would at least be tolerable for music but it wasn't. I've heard the same about the RTIs and also a few complaints about the Monitors.

... what this means, is that no singe speaker is everyone's cup of tea. There's a sea of happy owners of all speakers mentioned in this thread, and a few people that didn't like them for one reason or another.

My 2 c'

p.s. re: "Final Setup... how does it look?" no setup is "Final" - you'll find out soon enough
post #19 of 23 Old 12-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

I'm a music buff so I wouldn't buy any of polks current models. They are designed for HT which from my experience were engineered to be bright which might be ok for HT but is intolerable for music.

post #20 of 23 Old 12-09-2009, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm a music buff so I wouldn't buy any of polks current models. They are designed for HT which from my experience were engineered to be bright which might be ok for HT but is intolerable for music.

Cool, sounds about right for me then... mostly HT/TV watching with a little music mixed in.

Have to wait on my fronts as Frys messed up my order and cancelled one of the orders and wouldn't reorder it at the sales price. Gotta wait for a sale again or for a better deal to come along.
post #21 of 23 Old 12-12-2009, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

You have it right. Cornhulio was banned on the Polk forum, but he continues to spread his dislike for Polk on AVS. Take him with a large grain of salt.
post #22 of 23 Old 12-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

I had nothing against polk until I listened to a music dvd with my polk csi3 center and it was the harshest and brightest speaker I had ever heard. Luckily I know enough about speakers and tweeters to change the cheap 2 oz tweeter in it to a 2 lb audiophile grade tweeter I had laying around. The difference was night and day. It now sounds like a SDA center with matching vintage Mon 11T fronts.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...hmentid=152794

post #23 of 23 Old 12-12-2009, 11:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I think it depends on which Polks you get to whether or not they are bright. The R150's I have are definitely not bright, some might call them muddy. I have an Infinity setup which is considered neutral, yet to me it sounds too bright.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page