Official BIC Venturi Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #301 of 498 Old 01-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
SwampDonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so stoked!!! Just placed a few orders over the last few days putting together my system. Let's just say I cant wait to hook it all up. Hopefully my speaker wire from mono price shows up before or with the speakers lol... so let me just run down real quick what I am getting and you guys let me know what you think. Also some tips adjusting the EQ on my sony STR-DE885 (old I know) to each speaker to make sure I am listening at optimal levels.

(just ordered)

Fronts: BIC DV64's

Center: BIC DV-52CLRB (interested to hear opinions on my choice for the center)

Rears: BIC DV62SIB's

Sub: BIC F-12

(Existing Equipment)

TV - Sharp Aquos LC60LE632U 60" LED SMART TV

Reciever - Sony STR-DE885

Speakers - HTiB with sony powered sub (probably not even worth retrieving model numbers)(moving to bedroom)


I am so stoked to get this set up wrapped up. I have my TV wall mounted, the floor standing DV64's should be fine, but I'm worried about placement for the rear speakers. My room is about 15x25 with an opening into the kitchen. My seating is about 14' from the wall mounted Sharp, and I'm all the way against the wall. I fear putting them on stands next to the couch will not allow them to be far enough behind the listener. Is this critical? I thought of mounting them on the wall with the correct mounts to keep them away from the wall and angled down. But again that places them almost even with the listener as far as the back of the living room.

Anyway!!! Help or advice or criticism is welcomed. Obviously I will be very happy with this upgrade, but I want to make sure I am taking advantage of the experience of others and get the most for my money!! Thanks in advance guys!!
SwampDonkey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 498 Old 01-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Member
 
cadarndjg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just a couple of questions after I ran the auto config on my yamaha receiver. I have no subwoofer in my setup. I have the dv62clrs as left, right, and center.
So autoconfig set set the crossover to 100Hz. It set the center speaker to small.
I'm pretty clueless about the crossover, does it really matter without a sub?
Is a better setting for the center small or large?


I've had issues with some television and movie dialog sounding thin and harsh (I'd describe it as a papery/cardboard sound), but I think it's due to poor sources.
cadarndjg is offline  
post #303 of 498 Old 02-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Newbie
 
SoonerGlory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

Energy speakers are designed well and seem built well from the feedback I've read and based on their promotional material. As with all things, listen before buying. The BIC DV62CLR-S if mounted vertically on a 24"-26" speaker stand and calibrated properly and matched to the proper room size, should sound about as good as the vast majority of enthusiasts would want. I can afford to buy just about any speaker system I want within $5,000 and I have auditioned expensive systems. For my small living room, these speakers sound as good as anything under $5,000 that I've heard. Now, in a larger room, with heavy amplification, the quality may not be the same unless the crossover parts are improved for greater power handling (which is possible to buy for this very speaker).

I recommend the DV62CLR-S and DV62si for enthusiasts and think most would agree (under blind listening tests or if someone is able to put aside price prejudice) these are mighty fine sounding. I have not heard the Energy speakers you want compared, but have heard their past Connoisseur series and think Energy had some good products in years past but wasn't dazzled by many of their other speakers and speaker lines. I consider the DV-62CLR-S to be mostly designed for home theater but darn decent as a 2 channel music speaker (compared to most MTM design speakers) when blended with a subwoofer. Again, it's critical to mount them vertically and put them on 24"-26" stands for the correct results. If I had to choose the best BIC DV series speakers for 2-channel listening, I would say the DV62si bookshelf or DV-64 tower may have a slightly deeper stereo image due to having unrestrained vertical tweeter dispersion (hence the reason most speakers ideally designed for front channel duty in a SURROUND system, don't aren't typically better than speakers designed solely for 2-channel listening. My observation is that the 'imaging' is better in 2-channel music when using the classic 2-way or 3-way design having the tweeter at the top of the driver array. There are *some* 2-channel audio enthusiasts who actually believe MTM is even best for music but I can't say I feel the same.

The problem I have with the combo is that the C-70 towers are dramatically different both in cabinet size, crossover design and driver configuration. There are virtually no similarities between them and it's rather important for the front 3 speakers to matchup fairly close in those respects. The C-70 towers look they could potentially be good 2-channel music speakers but due to their size and driver configuration, wouldn't be ideal home theater speakers.

Hello all. Started this thread but have been MIA due to losing my job and my surround sound being on a very long hold. Had $100 in Best Buy gift cards and found a set of Energy CB10s open box for $109.99in store.

Best Buy now carries BIC online but shipping is $22 Maybe not the absolute best pairing the Energy CB10s with a BIC Venturi front stage setup but from auditioning a floor model of the Energy CB10s in a 2 channel mode they sounded very good and pretty warm to my novice ear. Planning on putting them in the rear to finally have a 5.0 setup. How do you think these will pair with my Bic Venturi DV62CLR-S x 3 front stage setup? I wasn't sure whether to ask in this thread or an Energy Connoisseur thread but since you have some experience with the Connoisseur series and also with the BIC DV62SLR-s, seems like you are about the perfect person to ask.
SoonerGlory is offline  
post #304 of 498 Old 02-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Member
 
Patrick1229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have the dv 64's and the 62clrs. I got my lfe crossover at 120hz and it sounds so much better than when I had it set at 80hz. Everything from 120hz down goes to my eda2-300 sub and itsuch better. The bics are rated down low, but dont sound so well when tasked with handle the lower frequencies as well as the mids.
Patrick1229 is offline  
post #305 of 498 Old 02-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
kgallerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Shore, MA
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGlory View Post

Hello all. Started this thread but have been MIA due to losing my job and my surround sound being on a very long hold. Had $100 in Best Buy gift cards and found a set of Energy CB10s open box for $109.99in store.

Best Buy now carries BIC online but shipping is $22 Maybe not the absolute best pairing the Energy CB10s with a BIC Venturi front stage setup but from auditioning a floor model of the Energy CB10s in a 2 channel mode they sounded very good and pretty warm to my novice ear. Planning on putting them in the rear to finally have a 5.0 setup. How do you think these will pair with my Bic Venturi DV62CLR-S x 3 front stage setup? I wasn't sure whether to ask in this thread or an Energy Connoisseur thread but since you have some experience with the Connoisseur series and also with the BIC DV62SLR-s, seems like you are about the perfect person to ask.

The newer C line of energy speakers is brighter than the RC's and i believe they are brighter than the newer veritas line. The BIC's are definitely a bright speaker so I think the C-series should match pretty well with the DV62CLR-S's, and especially since the CB-10's will be used for surrounds, I think they will be more than ok.

If you buy the open box, can you return them? You could buy them, hook them up, give them a listen, and return them if you dont like them.
kgallerie is online now  
post #306 of 498 Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Newbie
 
SoonerGlory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallerie View Post

The newer C line of energy speakers is brighter than the RC's and i believe they are brighter than the newer veritas line. The BIC's are definitely a bright speaker so I think the C-series should match pretty well with the DV62CLR-S's, and especially since the CB-10's will be used for surrounds, I think they will be more than ok.

If you buy the open box, can you return them? You could buy them, hook them up, give them a listen, and return them if you dont like them.

My problem is that I don't really have the resources or skill-set to mount them, unmount them, and then rinse and repeat. There is no easy spot to set them up on for a half-assed auditioning either. I know that I will never know until I listen. I do realize that. I am just trying to get overall feedback on how people think the Energies will match up with the BIC DV62CLR-S' generally. From my own research two years ago now (WOW, been on hold a LONG time) the smaller BIC speakers (to include the DV62si) are the weaker of the Venturi line. but I could possibly swing getting the BICs if need be for the matching. I know I read several pages back that someone does crossover mods but I imagine that can get to be relatively expensive (compared to original cost of speakers) pretty easily on two speakers.

If the matching is even say 'pretty close' close I would rather go with a better speak if the Energies are in fact better. When I auditioned the CB-10s in 2 channel mode at Best Buy they did seem slightly bright but only slightly so. Maybe because I am used to the BICs and the BICs aren't bright to me :shrugs: Could easily also be because the CB10s were a floor model that had mellowed out after over a year of use. It was also paired with a new model Onkyo 7.2 receiver, which according to many users on this forum Onkyo receivers contribute to a warming effect. I have a two year old Onkyo SR707 7.2 receiver so between the receiver and the speaker I should have re-produced the sound as well as possibly in a store auditioning environment.

I come from a car audio background so this is all foreign to me. With car audio you can just Dynamat the entire car and that solves a lot issues lol
SoonerGlory is offline  
post #307 of 498 Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
kgallerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Shore, MA
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGlory View Post

My problem is that I don't really have the resources or skill-set to mount them, unmount them, and then rinse and repeat. There is no easy spot to set them up on for a half-assed auditioning either. I know that I will never know until I listen. I do realize that. I am just trying to get overall feedback on how people think the Energies will match up with the BIC DV62CLR-S' generally. From my own research two years ago now (WOW, been on hold a LONG time) the smaller BIC speakers (to include the DV62si) are the weaker of the Venturi line. but I could possibly swing getting the BICs if need be for the matching. I know I read several pages back that someone does crossover mods but I imagine that can get to be relatively expensive (compared to original cost of speakers) pretty easily on two speakers.

If the matching is even say 'pretty close' close I would rather go with a better speak if the Energies are in fact better. When I auditioned the CB-10s in 2 channel mode at Best Buy they did seem slightly bright but only slightly so. Maybe because I am used to the BICs and the BICs aren't bright to me :shrugs: Could easily also be because the CB10s were a floor model that had mellowed out after over a year of use. It was also paired with a new model Onkyo 7.2 receiver, which according to many users on this forum Onkyo receivers contribute to a warming effect. I have a two year old Onkyo SR707 7.2 receiver so between the receiver and the speaker I should have re-produced the sound as well as possibly in a store auditioning environment.

I come from a car audio background so this is all foreign to me. With car audio you can just Dynamat the entire car and that solves a lot issues lol

Just to be clear, I have the DV62si's and have heard/own many of the energy RC line of speakers. I have not heard the C line (which includes the CB-10) so I cannot affirmatively tell you how well they will match.

Personally, I found the DV62si's overly bright, so I would find it hard to believe that the CB-10 would be brighter than the stock DV62si's.

I'm not sure why you are implying that the DV62si's are among the weaker speakers of the venturi line. They are basically the same speaker as your DV62CLR-S speakers, but with only 1 woofer instead of 2. The DV62si's would be your perfect surround speakers with your setup.

But I think you would be happy with the CB-10's as well as surrounds. Technically, it is better to have the surrounds match the line of the rest of your speakers due to timbre matching, etc. however, it is not as critical you match your surrounds to the front 3.

Also, to audition the CB-10's in your system, you dont need to mount them perfectly for the audition. Set them on an end table or something in the approximate location and give them a listen. If you like them, then do more work to get them in a better location. If you dont like how they match, send them back.
kgallerie is online now  
post #308 of 498 Old 02-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Newbie
 
SoonerGlory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man good call about the end tables. I was only thinking of what could I do to get the exact height. I forgot we even have end tables lol. We took them out for safety reasons (lots of square corners) and just to make more room for our daughters toys. Maybe I can get the wife to go run errands without me so I can have half a day to tinker with the setup.
SoonerGlory is offline  
post #309 of 498 Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave1027's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallerie View Post

I'm not sure why you are implying that the DV62si's are among the weaker speakers of the venturi line. They are basically the same speaker as your DV62CLR-S speakers, but with only 1 woofer instead of 2. The DV62si's would be your perfect surround speakers with your setup.

I think that BIC's dirty little secret is just how capable the DV62si really is. Granted the smaller box does have it's shortcoming but that's for the most part easily overcome with some cabinet damping. The extra woofer in the center comes at a price that the amplifier has to pay. The truth is the DV62si has the potential to be better than the center at half the price.
Dave1027 is offline  
post #310 of 498 Old 03-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Newbie
 
SoonerGlory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post

I think that BIC's dirty little secret is just how capable the DV62si really is. Granted the smaller box does have it's shortcoming but that's for the most part easily overcome with some cabinet damping. The extra woofer in the center comes at a price that the amplifier has to pay. The truth is the DV62si has the potential to be better than the center at half the price.

Sent u a PM re the DV62si mod
SoonerGlory is offline  
post #311 of 498 Old 03-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Member
 
tk1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nothing else to add, but I'm still enjoying my setup. Granted, I'm going against the grain by pairing my "bargain" speakers (6 x DV62si; 1 x DV62CLR-S) with some not-so-bargain equipment and sub (Marantz SR6001, Rotel RMB-1066 in 3 channel mode for L-C-R, and my JL Audio Fathom F112).

Perfect for my small little family room. The best part is how different this setup is compared my bedroom HT setup (Athenas all around with a Pioneer VSX-811s and a CV CLS-15s sub). When I turn up the volume in my BIC setup, it does get louder, but has the illusion that the sound is getting clearer, not "louder" as in boomier/shriller/harsher, etc. Hard to describe, but I've finally found my sweet spot in HT.
tk1971 is offline  
post #312 of 498 Old 03-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave1027's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post

Nothing else to add, but I'm still enjoying my setup. Granted, I'm going against the grain by pairing my "bargain" speakers (6 x DV62si; 1 x DV62CLR-S) with some not-so-bargain equipment and sub (Marantz SR6001, Rotel RMB-1066 in 3 channel mode for L-C-R, and my JL Audio Fathom F112).

Perfect for my small little family room. The best part is how different this setup is compared my bedroom HT setup (Athenas all around with a Pioneer VSX-811s and a CV CLS-15s sub). When I turn up the volume in my BIC setup, it does get louder, but has the illusion that the sound is getting clearer, not "louder" as in boomier/shriller/harsher, etc. Hard to describe, but I've finally found my sweet spot in HT.

Me too. I have my DV62si's paired to an old school GAS Son of Ampzilla power amp. To listen to them you would not think they cost so little. This same amp used to drive 4 JBL 4311 Control Room Monitors (they cost over $1000). I think the BICs (coupled with a modest sub) sound more realistic. They are certainly more enjoyable.
Dave1027 is offline  
post #313 of 498 Old 03-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Newbie
 
russ399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I bought a pair of fh6-clr to start building a new HT setup. I own a pair of dv62si and a v1020 for 2.1 music listening upstairs. I love the clearity of the dv62 so i thought the horn version would be even better. I've been breaking the fh6 speakers in for about 10 hrs now and I got to say, I like the dv62 better. It is much crisper and more full...to me. Now I am thinking about going Venturi for the HT. If I like the dv62si, will I love the dv62clr-s? I am thinking about 3 across the front. Will that do anything for me that 2dv62si and a clr-s for the center would?
Now I gotta see if I can return my fh6s to Amazon. Anyone dealt with returning stuff to Amazon?
russ399 is offline  
post #314 of 498 Old 03-04-2012, 05:43 AM
Member
 
getagrip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ399 View Post

So I bought a pair of fh6-clr to start building a new HT setup. I own a pair of dv62si and a v1020 for 2.1 music listening upstairs. I love the clearity of the dv62 so i thought the horn version would be even better. I've been breaking the fh6 speakers in for about 10 hrs now and I got to say, I like the dv62 better. It is much crisper and more full...to me. Now I am thinking about going Venturi for the HT. If I like the dv62si, will I love the dv62clr-s? I am thinking about 3 across the front. Will that do anything for me that 2dv62si and a clr-s for the center would?
Now I gotta see if I can return my fh6s to Amazon. Anyone dealt with returning stuff to Amazon?

Amazon is INCREDIBLY easy to deal with...I've never had a problem with them.
getagrip15 is offline  
post #315 of 498 Old 03-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Member
 
tk1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Russ399, if you like the DV62si, you will absolutely love the DV62CLR-S. Talk about vocal clarity... I'm still impressed with mine.
tk1971 is offline  
post #316 of 498 Old 03-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Newbie
 
SoonerGlory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by getagrip15 View Post


Amazon is INCREDIBLY easy to deal with...I've never had a problem with them.

I have 3 DV62CLR-S across the front and I am very happy with it.
SoonerGlory is offline  
post #317 of 498 Old 03-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave1027's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post

Russ399, if you like the DV62si, you will absolutely love the DV62CLR-S. Talk about vocal clarity... I'm still impressed with mine.

Modded DV62si's sound better than DV62CLR-S's. They also cost half as much, take up less space and are easier on the receiver/amp.
Dave1027 is offline  
post #318 of 498 Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Newbie
 
russ399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post

Modded DV62si's sound better than DV62CLR-S's. They also cost half as much, take up less space and are easier on the receiver/amp.

I've read about the Mod. If my understanding is correct, It tones down the "brightness" and adds bass. I thought about doing it to my si's, but I like the highs(amp set to 10 of 10) and have a sub. Would the modifications work against my tastes?
I spent most of the night swapping between the fh6 and dv62si in the center position, prefering the dv. The fh6 is a nice speaker, but side by side, I think the venturi sounds more natural and full. The fh6 sounded a little boxy to me, just my opinion.
Wish I could compare modded venturi's to non modded. I would hate to regret getting it done and then disliking the change. As it is, I have to figure out how to return my online purchase of 2 fh6's.
russ399 is offline  
post #319 of 498 Old 03-06-2012, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
kgallerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Shore, MA
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ399 View Post

I've read about the Mod. If my understanding is correct, It tones down the "brightness" and adds bass. I thought about doing it to my si's, but I like the highs(amp set to 10 of 10) and have a sub. Would the modifications work against my tastes?
I spent most of the night swapping between the fh6 and dv62si in the center position, prefering the dv. The fh6 is a nice speaker, but side by side, I think the venturi sounds more natural and full. The fh6 sounded a little boxy to me, just my opinion.
Wish I could compare modded venturi's to non modded. I would hate to regret getting it done and then disliking the change. As it is, I have to figure out how to return my online purchase of 2 fh6's.

Where are you located? Maybe theres someone in your area who has the modded si's, and you could give them a listen.
kgallerie is online now  
post #320 of 498 Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Timothy91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Well,

I'm not going to state with any certainty that the modded version of the bookshelf sounds better than the center channel. Modifications have been tried to the Venturi line before and in blind evaluations some respectable opinions have preferred the un-modded speaker.

Each person will have their own personal taste. Based on my deep research in regards to the Venturi line and the mods out there, that you should only mod the crossovers in these speakers if you intend to power them with strong amplifiers (amps that have over 125-watts of unclipped output [1% distortion]).

Also, in regards to matching up alternate speakers to the Venturi line, the 'best' possible match for a surround speaker that is cheap, sounds very similar, has poly-based drivers and delivers dipole tweeter dispersion is the old Optimus LX-5 (or LX-5 II). My system runs with them and it's a near perfect match when an auto-calibration is run.

Mixing speakers with different dissimilar driver materials is risky. You might find the upper mids and highs to be of a different character. It's not impossible for someone to find a decent match with speakers that have dissimilar driver materials, but it's not likely. I'm a bit more picky than most. I can almost always hear a 'metallic' character on metal-based drivers (although some speakers I've heard which use 'coated/treated' metal domes tame that to an inaudible level) and they sound very different to me than 'poly' based drivers (like found in the Venturi line).

So, just bear this in mind. I spent 4 months trying to find a complimentary surround speaker for the DV62CLR-S speakers that would match the character, smoothness and timbre as well as produce some 'diffuse/reflected' sound. The old, discontinued (bought-used) Optimus LX-5 II were a spot on match. I didn't find ANY others that fit my criteria for matching it. I didn't audition every speaker out there, but it helps to find a good match by trying to first make sure the driver materials are similar. Otherwise you might be testing many, many speakers and never finding one that does the job.

And you know what? Even if you matched the driver materials up, it's STILL no guarantee of a match. It's just giving you better odds.
Timothy91 is offline  
post #321 of 498 Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Dave1027's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ399 View Post

I've read about the Mod. If my understanding is correct, It tones down the "brightness" and adds bass. I thought about doing it to my si's, but I like the highs(amp set to 10 of 10) and have a sub. Would the modifications work against my tastes?
I spent most of the night swapping between the fh6 and dv62si in the center position, prefering the dv. The fh6 is a nice speaker, but side by side, I think the venturi sounds more natural and full. The fh6 sounded a little boxy to me, just my opinion.
Wish I could compare modded venturi's to non modded. I would hate to regret getting it done and then disliking the change. As it is, I have to figure out how to return my online purchase of 2 fh6's.

My mod does add plenty of bass and also tones down the highs to a natural level but it does much more than that. It changes the tonal character of all aspects. In other words, not only are the highs reduced but they are sloped differently too. This makes the highs more natural sounding like a live setting. Same thing for the mids. They are re-shaped for a more natural sound that provides a realistic soundstage. Again, same thing for the mid-bass. This is probably where the sound changes the most. It's the mid-bass that provides the thickness or warmth to the sound. It's something a sub can't do. Adding a sub to the stock DV62si's does help but does not fix it's lack of mid-bass. What you end up with is a thin sound with a pronounce bump to the bottom.

On top of all that also an improvement in the clarity. Every aspect of the mod has the side effect of improving clarity for a seriously enhanced soundstage. This is for a speaker that is already very good in the clarity department. It's the main reason I stuck it out with them so long. Even in the stock config they are very clear sounding. The clarity of the BICs killed my existing Infinitys. The problem with them was they were tiring to listen to for extended periods. Way too fatiguing. My mod makes these speakers something you can listen to endlessly. I look forward to going home after work each day and listening to them. It's a very relaxing experience.

If you like the tweeter piercing in the ear sound then my mod may not be for you. Also, my mod is mainly intended for music listening. I'm sure it would work well for mains in an HT setup but I'm not sure about rears. I have not tried that yet. It may make them too laid back for that.


Dave
Dave1027 is offline  
post #322 of 498 Old 03-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave1027's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

I'm not going to state with any certainty that the modded version of the bookshelf sounds better than the center channel.

With all due respect, Timothy, you have not heard my mod. If that's why you cannot state it then I agree.

As far as comparison between the modded bookshelf and the stock center go, the main difference in the sound is going to be in the mids and highs. The center enhances the bass by adding another woofer and a bigger box. The big box is the center's main advantage. It's something the bookshelf mod cannot duplicate but it does come close with better damping. My mod does send more output to the one woofer and that helps make up for only having one.

The modded bookshelf may lose a little to the center in the bass dept (the bookshelf is a little boomy) but it more than makes up for it with superior mids and highs. The clarity and soundstage is something the center does not have.

Quote:


Modifications have been tried to the Venturi line before and in blind evaluations some respectable opinions have preferred the un-modded speaker.

True, but my mod is much more extensive than all previous attempts I have heard about. Ed's mod (the most popular mod to date) was terrible. It did reduce the highs but did not make the speaker sound any better. It had a hollow, muddled sound character. I know because I had his mod. One day it occured to me that when I was contemplating replacing the BICs because I was nowhere near satisfied with the Ed modded version, that I should design my own mod. It sort of became a passion for me. It took years to evolve to what it is today. I do the mod for people as a hobby and because I want people to find out what I have found and that is that the little BICs have serious potential to reproduce a very satisfying listening experience.

Quote:


Each person will have their own personal taste. Based on my deep research in regards to the Venturi line and the mods out there, that you should only mod the crossovers in these speakers if you intend to power them with strong amplifiers (amps that have over 125-watts of unclipped output [1% distortion]).

One thing I must point out. You don't need a powerhouse amp for the modded version. I use mine with an 80 wpc amp. I have not tested this aspect but I do not believe my mod reduces the spl efficiency very much if at all. It does reduce the highs but it increases the lows so it may be a wash. This modded version can be enjoyed at any volume. It's sounds great no matter how loud you have it. I think I like it's low volume performance the best. I like listening to them late at night with the lights down low. They have a comfy, warm sound that kind of lulls you to sleep.
Dave1027 is offline  
post #323 of 498 Old 03-06-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Timothy91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post

With all due respect, Timothy, you have not heard my mod. If that's why you cannot state it then I agree.

As far as comparison between the modded bookshelf and the stock center go, the main difference in the sound is going to be in the mids and highs. The center enhances the bass by adding another woofer and a bigger box. The big box is the center's main advantage. It's something the bookshelf mod cannot duplicate but it does come close with better damping. My mod does send more output to the one woofer and that helps make up for only having one.

The modded bookshelf may lose a little to the center in the bass dept (the bookshelf is a little boomy) but it more than makes up for it with superior mids and highs. The clarity and soundstage is something the center does not have.


True, but my mod is much more extensive than all previous attempts I have heard about. Ed's mod (the most popular mod to date) was terrible. It did reduce the highs but did not make the speaker sound any better. It had a hollow, muddled sound character. I know because I had his mod. One day it occured to me that when I was contemplating replacing the BICs because I was nowhere near satisfied with the Ed modded version, that I should design my own mod. It sort of became a passion for me. It took years to evolve to what it is today. I do the mod for people as a hobby and because I want people to find out what I have found and that is that the little BICs have serious potential to reproduce a very satisfying listening experience.


One thing I must point out. You don't need a powerhouse amp for the modded version. I use mine with an 80 wpc amp. I have not tested this aspect but I do not believe my mod reduces the spl efficiency very much if at all. It does reduce the highs but it increases the lows so it may be a wash. This modded version can be enjoyed at any volume. It's sounds great no matter how loud you have it. I think I like it's low volume performance the best. I like listening to them late at night with the lights down low. They have a comfy, warm sound that kind of lulls you to sleep.

The DV62CLR-S is a very fine sounding center channel with it's current design (easily the greatest bargain in home theater speakers, period). The DV62si bookshelf back in it's original release apparently had a better crossover than what is sold today. I haven't confirmed that, but suspect it highly due to the DV62si over a decade ago measuring quite well and getting many high praises from reviewers in print. I've read postings from a few people somewhere in the last year or so that they think the DV62si crossover is not of the same quality as the original speakers released many years ago. This would be interesting. However there is no one speculating that the center channel (DV62CLR-S) has been changed in any way that would take it's quality down a step.

The reason I recommended that people only upgrade the crossover if they are running high powered amps is because low quality parts in passive xovers often "drift" from their intended lowpass and hipass frequency targets. Higher quality passive parts tend to drift far less under high output/high wattage demands.
Timothy91 is offline  
post #324 of 498 Old 03-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Newbie
 
russ399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your time in the responses. I kind of feel home here in the Venturi section after deciding I didn't like the horn as much as the dv62si. You guys are the reason I bought them and the v1020 without ever hearing of them before.

kgallerie, good idea. I'm in the Chicago burbs if anyone out there has modded dv62si and don't mind me commin over with a 6pack and my unmodded ones.

Dave and Timothy, both compelling arguments, good stuff.
As far as my rears go, I have very limited space, so I was thinking about the Muro 60 inwalls. Anyone have any thoughts on those or heard them?

Just to throw this in there, I also think I am going to be adding the pl200 for my LFE.
russ399 is offline  
post #325 of 498 Old 03-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Newbie
 
russ399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some input. You guys have helped me think hard on buying the dv62clr-s across the front. The left and right will be at the mounted tv height, probably on small shelves, vertically(shelves purpose are soley for speakers).

1.Will they be unstable? Due to the ports I know I can't mount them. And I can't put them on stands cause the wife doesn't want them on the floor (that's the reason I'm redoing my HT in the first place).
2. Are there any brackets that would hold these beasts?

Suggestion??
russ399 is offline  
post #326 of 498 Old 03-07-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Timothy91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ399 View Post

I need some input. You guys have helped me think hard on buying the dv62clr-s across the front. The left and right will be at the mounted tv height, probably on small shelves, vertically(shelves purpose are soley for speakers).

1.Will they be unstable? Due to the ports I know I can't mount them. And I can't put them on stands cause the wife doesn't want them on the floor (that's the reason I'm redoing my HT in the first place).
2. Are there any brackets that would hold these beasts?

Suggestion??

I'm not really very fond of in-wall speakers. Especially for rear channels. The reason is that in order to emulate a professional theaters multiple surrounding speakers, typically you want a speaker that can utilize room reflections to mimic the effect at home. In-wall speakers are usually very limited in their dispersion and if used at all, you "might" be able to get away with using them as front L/C/R's. Even that is not recommended.
Timothy91 is offline  
post #327 of 498 Old 03-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Newbie
 
russ399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

I'm not really very fond of in-wall speakers. Especially for rear channels. The reason is that in order to emulate a professional theaters multiple surrounding speakers, typically you want a speaker that can utilize room reflections to mimic the effect at home. In-wall speakers are usually very limited in their dispersion and if used at all, you "might" be able to get away with using them as front L/C/R's. Even that is not recommended.

All right, you're bummin me out. I thought I had it figured out. Your dipoles must sound nice. Unfortunately my rears positioning sucks. I got to think about it.
Aside from that, did you see my other post about the clrs. What are your thoughts on how to position them? Everyone else, please weigh in.
russ399 is offline  
post #328 of 498 Old 03-08-2012, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
kgallerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Shore, MA
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ399 View Post

All right, you're bummin me out. I thought I had it figured out. Your dipoles must sound nice. Unfortunately my rears positioning sucks. I got to think about it.
Aside from that, did you see my other post about the clrs. What are your thoughts on how to position them? Everyone else, please weigh in.

Do you have pictures of your room and the setup? That would help us see what you are talking about.

As Timothy said, the in-wall speakers probably aren't optimal. However, I have heard decent things about certain in-wall speakers. Some of them have tweeters that you can adjust to point them at the listening position (not sure if the Muro's do this). Depending on where they are located, they could work. What receiver are you using? Does it have room correction like Audyssey or YPAO? That would help adjust the in-wall speakers to sound much better.

As long as the shelfs are sturdy, the clrs's should be plenty stable sitting on end. If you want a little extra assurance, you could use some velro, or some 2 sided tape to hold them down. It sounds like they would be right up against the wall, so you'll want to try plugging the ports in the rear to reduce any boominess you might get. Since you have a decent sub, that shouldnt affect you too much.
kgallerie is online now  
post #329 of 498 Old 03-08-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Timothy91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ399 View Post

All right, you're bummin me out. I thought I had it figured out. Your dipoles must sound nice. Unfortunately my rears positioning sucks. I got to think about it.
Aside from that, did you see my other post about the clrs. What are your thoughts on how to position them? Everyone else, please weigh in.

If your listening position is far away enough from those walls (maybe 8-12ft each side), then you might get enough room reflections and catch a good chunk of the dispersion to be satisfied. It's not ideal though. You should attempt to get the best sound possible within your mounting options and room decor.
Timothy91 is offline  
post #330 of 498 Old 03-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Newbie
 
russ399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

If your listening position is far away enough from those walls (maybe 8-12ft each side), then you might get enough room reflections and catch a good chunk of the dispersion to be satisfied. It's not ideal though. You should attempt to get the best sound possible within your mounting options and room decor.

Alright, a few of you have talked me out of the inwalls. I don't have a reciever that will calibrate for the room setup. I was trying to post a pic of the room but I'm a tool and couldn't figure it out. Basically the room is rectangular with the tv being 12 ft from couch (which is against back wall). It is about 20 ft wide. I am going to go with 62si's for the rears. Now I'm trying to figure out if the fronts should be si's or clrs. I know that the clrs would match perfectly with the center (clrs), but should't the si's also? Is there anything that using clrs as the fronts would give me that the si's wouldn't?
BTW, I'll be using a sub.
russ399 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Venturi , Bic Venturi Subwoofer V1020 , Bic Venturi Subwoofer V1220 , Bic Venturi Dv32 Speaker , Awm Bic Venturi Bookshelf Speakers
Gear in this thread - V1220 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off