Official BIC Venturi Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #541 of 570 Old 10-03-2015, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Di Stroia View Post
For reference purposes: there are a few other BIC subs that are within the performance range of those two.

Acoustech H-100II:

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...e=8&spkrID=126

Venturi V1220:

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...pe=8&spkrID=44

RtR Eviction RtR-EV1200:

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...e=3&spkrID=119

Formula F-12:

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...pe=8&spkrID=84
Had a chance to see & hear the Acoustech H-100II sub yesterday at the store so I think that's the one am getting it's also cheaper than the PL200. While there I saw the Adatto 52si white in color which I thought would improve on the WAF factor. My question is would I be making a mistake getting the adattos instead of two DV62si for surrounds. The 62s are a bit big to mount on my wall so I would have them on stands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 570 Old 10-06-2015, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Rider View Post
Had a chance to see & hear the Acoustech H-100II sub yesterday at the store so I think that's the one am getting it's also cheaper than the PL200. While there I saw the Adatto 52si white in color which I thought would improve on the WAF factor. My question is would I be making a mistake getting the adattos instead of two DV62si for surrounds. The 62s are a bit big to mount on my wall so I would have them on stands.
I can't comment on the Adattos as I've never heard them, but I can comment on wall mounting the 62s. Mine (front L/R) are wall mounted, anchored only in the drywall and not in any studs. The studs were not within the range of where I wanted them located, so I found these items and they worked well for me.

I used Aeon brand mounts (link) that are more than capable of supporting this speaker. I was quite impressed with these things, especially given the price. They are heavy duty. To anchor them in the drywall, I used Toggler SnapSkru anchors (link). They are rated to hold 65 pounds each (which might be a bit of an exaggeration) and I used four on each mount with an over sized screw.

I had to pre-drill four holes in the back of each speaker (above the crossover/connection posts) to attach the mounting plate. If you go this route, I would use the biggest screws you can fit through the holes in the plate in order to get the most "bite" on the speaker's cabinet.

Short of someone hanging from them or falling onto them, they are solid as a rock. I like that the mounts can easily be tilted up/down as well as right/left. The 62s will protrude from the wall as the mounts are roughly 6" deep, plus the depth of the speaker.
Dom Di Stroia likes this.
post #543 of 570 Old 10-07-2015, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicPhan View Post
I can't comment on the Adattos as I've never heard them, but I can comment on wall mounting the 62s. Mine (front L/R) are wall mounted, anchored only in the drywall and not in any studs. The studs were not within the range of where I wanted them located, so I found these items and they worked well for me.

I used Aeon brand mounts (link) that are more than capable of supporting this speaker. I was quite impressed with these things, especially given the price. They are heavy duty. To anchor them in the drywall, I used Toggler SnapSkru anchors (link). They are rated to hold 65 pounds each (which might be a bit of an exaggeration) and I used four on each mount with an over sized screw.

I had to pre-drill four holes in the back of each speaker (above the crossover/connection posts) to attach the mounting plate. If you go this route, I would use the biggest screws you can fit through the holes in the plate in order to get the most "bite" on the speaker's cabinet.

Short of someone hanging from them or falling onto them, they are solid as a rock. I like that the mounts can easily be tilted up/down as well as right/left. The 62s will protrude from the wall as the mounts are roughly 6" deep, plus the depth of the speaker.
@MusicPhan thanks a lot for your advice.
I already have a pair of Dv62si which are mounted on stands serving as L/R.
My room is not large (13'*11')
Considering budget & WAF am getting
~ Dv62si (Front L/R)
~ Dv52CLR (Centre)
~ Adatto 52si(Surrounds)
~ Acoustech H-100 (subwoofer)
Will get the receiver last.
MusicPhan likes this.
post #544 of 570 Old 10-19-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
@MusicPhan thanks a lot for your advice.
I already have a pair of Dv62si which are mounted on stands serving as L/R.
My room is not large (13'*11')
Considering budget & WAF am getting
~ Dv62si (Front L/R)
~ Dv52CLR (Centre)
~ Adatto 52si(Surrounds)
~ Acoustech H-100 (subwoofer)
Will get the receiver last.
That sounds like a nice setup. Currently, my L/R surrounds and ceiling Atmos speakers are Onkyo HTIB speakers. The L/R surrounds were previously my fronts, before I upgraded the fronts to DV62si. They sound pretty good as surrounds. The ceiling ones are fairly low-end. I think they have a single 3-1/2" driver in them. They'll work for now, until I can ask for upgrades for Christmas or my B-Day. I'm thinking the Adattos on the ceiling, and perhaps for the L/R surrounds as well, would be a good match.

What kind of receivers are you considering?
post #545 of 570 Old 10-19-2015, 08:30 PM

Was considering
Denon X2000 or Yamaha 375.
While at the speaker shop I saw an Onkyo TX-SR805 then decided to look it up here at AVS. Was surprised to see its a very good and very very popular receiver even if it's seven yrs old. Only problem they had one unit and someone had already paid for it.
So am now looking at used high end receivers as they stock them. By the way am not in US.
post #546 of 570 Old 10-19-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Was considering
Denon X2000 or Yamaha 375.
While at the speaker shop I saw an Onkyo TX-SR805 then decided to look it up here at AVS. Was surprised to see its a very good and very very popular receiver even if it's seven yrs old. Only problem they had one unit and someone had already paid for it.
So am now looking at used high end receivers as they stock them. By the way am not in US.
I have no experience with Denon or Yamaha, but I've been more than satisfied with the two Onkyo receivers I've had. First one was a HTIB 7.1 setup. It wasn't anything special, but the sound was great for an entry level unit. Second and current one is the TX-NR636, configured in 5.1.2 Atmos configuration. Paired with my new BICs, I think it sounds amazing. I'm sold on Onkyo. I read that some people have had HDMI problems with their units, but knock on wood mine have been solid as a rock.
post #547 of 570 Old 10-29-2015, 02:06 AM

Official BIC Venturi Thread

Thanks MusicPhan

Last edited by Lion Rider; 10-29-2015 at 02:20 AM.
post #548 of 570 Old 10-29-2015, 02:16 AM

Got the DV-52CLR centre yesterday. At least the front stage is nearly done
Not the best pics, phone seems to add lots of red, will try and take clearer ones later. Now Adattos 52 for rear, PL100 sub and receiver and am done.
Dom Di Stroia and MusicPhan like this.

Last edited by Lion Rider; 07-02-2016 at 03:17 AM.
post #549 of 570 Old 10-30-2015, 01:20 AM

Edited
MusicPhan likes this.

Last edited by Lion Rider; 07-02-2016 at 03:16 AM.
post #550 of 570 Old 10-30-2015, 05:14 AM

Playing about with the placement.

Last edited by Lion Rider; 07-02-2016 at 03:15 AM.
post #551 of 570 Old 10-30-2015, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Playing about with the placement. This looks good aesthetically but sound wise is the center is too low?

I would say yes, its too low. The ideal place would be on top of the cabinet, pulled all the way to the front. If you have it against the wall as shown in the previous pics, the sound will reflect off the top of the cabinet and not sound as good.

If you want to keep it in the cabinet for aesthetic reasons, make sure you find something to tilt the front of the speaker up to point it more at the listening position......and not at your knees. I have a similar setup and use a couple of these under the front of the speaker:

https://www.westfloridacomponents.co...m+X+9.6mm.html

Last edited by kgallerie; 10-30-2015 at 06:22 AM.
post #552 of 570 Old 10-30-2015, 07:10 AM

Thought the center speaker should be below the tv as much as possible
post #553 of 570 Old 10-30-2015, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Thought the center speaker should be below the tv as much as possible
Theoretically, the center channel should be dead smack in the middle of the TV, since thats where the voices should be coming from. That wont work in anyones setup (unless you have a sound passing screen with a speaker behind it), so we try to find the location closest to it, typically just above or just below the screen.
post #554 of 570 Old 10-30-2015, 09:13 AM

Think I found a compromise . Put the speaker on top of the stand pulled out a bit from the previous position, then lifted the front end a bit. That makes the ports at the back clear and the sound directed upwards towards the ears. Compromises here & there
post #555 of 570 Old 11-03-2015, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
Yes. I'm still doing the DV62si mods and you are correct about the sub. A sub cannot balance the overall response of a speaker. What you end up with is an unbalanced sound with a good bump at the bottom. It's not necessary but I run a sub with my BICs but that is only to reinforce the lowest range. This setup gives better sound than floorstanders without physically dominating the room. The sub is hidden and people only see the BICs (which I have wall mounted) and are blown away by the fullness. It's a live performance sound.
I can, without reservation, recommend Dave's DV62si modification. While the stock speakers have a bright, clear sound, they also (for me, at least) make for a harsh, tiring listening experience. Dave's modded crossovers absolutely transformed the DV62sis, evening out their response and gifting them with an incredible smoothness, while still retaining the crisp, though now tamed, highs. I wish I had the acoustics knowledge to know the exact descriptive terminology to use, but the word that comes to mind when I listen to them is, "creamy".
Dave1027 likes this.
post #556 of 570 Old 11-05-2015, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I love my DV64s because they're so cheap I can mod them however I want and it doesn't matter if I destroy them.

Anyway, after much tweaking (I closed up the PR cutouts and ran them sealed for a bit. Terrible.) I remembered the one thing I've never tried: weights. I figured I should keep things classy so I hotglued two 1/4" nuts right in the rear center of the spider on each radiator. I have to admit this quick and dirty mod makes these speakers sound better than ever before. My room is a mid-bass blackhole and this helped immeasurably. It also resulted in the flattest PEQ correction YPAO has ever made.

Every room is different of course, but if anyone else feels they are lacking a little punch, getting all arts & crafty with your PRs might help.
post #557 of 570 Old 11-08-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMA001 View Post
I can, without reservation, recommend Dave's DV62si modification. While the stock speakers have a bright, clear sound, they also (for me, at least) make for a harsh, tiring listening experience. Dave's modded crossovers absolutely transformed the DV62sis, evening out their response and gifting them with an incredible smoothness, while still retaining the crisp, though now tamed, highs. I wish I had the acoustics knowledge to know the exact descriptive terminology to use, but the word that comes to mind when I listen to them is, "creamy".

I also feel the speakers are a bit bright. Am not in the US so how can I do the modification.
post #558 of 570 Old 11-08-2015, 10:56 PM

Sorry double post

Last edited by Lion Rider; 11-09-2015 at 12:50 AM.
post #559 of 570 Old 01-04-2016, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My experience - I've owned a nice Denon 2ch amplifier and Clements 207di monitors for years. These are supposedly excellent bookshelf speakers. I'm in the process of setting up a home theater so I ordered a DV62CLR-S based on reviews here and elsewhere. My initial impression was that it was very bright, somewhat harsh and missing bass, but so much more detailed than the Clements that I ordered two more and two DV64's.

I have about 40 hours on the DV62CLR-S with maybe 20 hours of bass heavy music at relatively high volumes (50-60 watts). It is still bright, but I think some of the harshness has dissipated and the mid-bass is better. The rear ports seem to make the bass more sensitive to speaker position than front ported speakers. I'm hoping that the DV64's will provide better bass.

Overall this speaker is amazing for the price. I'm planning on pairing the BIC's with two SVS PB-1000 subs I ordered from audiogon.
post #560 of 570 Old 01-07-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2015 View Post
My experience - I've owned a nice Denon 2ch amplifier and Clements 207di monitors for years. These are supposedly excellent bookshelf speakers. I'm in the process of setting up a home theater so I ordered a DV62CLR-S based on reviews here and elsewhere. My initial impression was that it was very bright, somewhat harsh and missing bass, but so much more detailed than the Clements that I ordered two more and two DV64's.

I have about 40 hours on the DV62CLR-S with maybe 20 hours of bass heavy music at relatively high volumes (50-60 watts). It is still bright, but I think some of the harshness has dissipated and the mid-bass is better. The rear ports seem to make the bass more sensitive to speaker position than front ported speakers. I'm hoping that the DV64's will provide better bass.

Overall this speaker is amazing for the price. I'm planning on pairing the BIC's with two SVS PB-1000 subs I ordered from audiogon.
Yep. DV62's have better/lower bass response, right out of the box. Looking forward to breaking them in a bit.
post #561 of 570 Old 01-15-2016, 03:56 PM

I'll update my recommendation - these speakers sound great with AVR correction/equalization. They are bright and also need some boost in the mid-bass range. YPAO shows this clearly, less so for the DV64's as compared with the DV62CLR-S, but the correction is still there. YPAO:flat sounds so much better than uncorrected.
post #562 of 570 Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Help taking apart v1020 sub!

One of the kids my wife watches dropped something in the bass port of my sub and it is causing a lot of vibration. I need to get it out. I unscrewed the woofer to try and drop it to remove the object, but it appears to be glued as well. Any suggestions on how to open it up without harming it? Please help!
post #563 of 570 Old 03-31-2016, 11:53 AM

DV64 review

I finally got a pair of used DV64's. I have been wanting to try them for a couple years now. Sound wise they have great tight bass and nice clear defined highs to me the high are not too bright like a lot of others say. But they do lack on midrange a lot. I also have My Boston VR2 towers hooked up on a selector for quick comparing of the two speaker sets and the DV64's loose a lot of guitar and vocal in that midrange section. They are a very accurate speaker, not muddy which I like I just wish they had more midrange. The make my Bostons sound like muddy party speakers when you compare the two.

They are great speakers for the money and I will agree with most that say you wont find a better sounding speaker out there for the money.

I am wandering if a crossover mod from Dave will help of If I should try an EQ?
post #564 of 570 Old 03-31-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petelombard View Post
One of the kids my wife watches dropped something in the bass port of my sub and it is causing a lot of vibration. I need to get it out. I unscrewed the woofer to try and drop it to remove the object, but it appears to be glued as well. Any suggestions on how to open it up without harming it? Please help!
I have the same sub. It should not be glued in? Maybe just stuck?
post #565 of 570 Old 04-09-2016, 09:41 AM

Just replaced my DV52 CLR-S centre with a DV62. I can't believe the difference. The 52 sounded a bit muddy especially paired with the two DV62si I use for the fronts. Now my front stage sounds so much better & clear.

Last edited by Lion Rider; 04-09-2016 at 09:44 AM.
post #566 of 570 Old 04-26-2016, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMA001 View Post
Going to add my recommendation here as well. I had all 4 of my DV62si crossovers modified by Dave, as well as performed his recommended cabinet modifications (easiest modification I've ever done), and I must say, this is the best money I've spent on my setup beyond the initial purchase. Absolutely worth every dollar that Dave charges and more, since he is more than fair on his pricing.

Here is what I wrote him upon completion of setup and tuning:

Quote:
In every aspect the speakers seem like they've been woken up in a sense. I watched Star Wars Episode VII over the weekend with my wife and friends and they all commented that all of the sound was better. I found it to be more full and even, where before it seemed like some frequencies were lacking and it was a bit harsh or too bright at times. This modification seemed to help these speakers project those frequencies better, though that could be me talking out of my ass. Musically everything is more enjoyable. Before there were times where the brightness of the speakers was a bit too much, but now everything is just gravy. Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb sounded absolutely amazing, and I can't imagine it sounding much better than it does now without spending many thousands of dollars.
I've put more time into music lately and I have yet to find a song that doesn't sound just smooth and "creamy" as DMA001 put it.

I'd recommend this to anyone with a set of DV62si speakers, without question or hesitation.
Dave1027 and Dom Di Stroia like this.
post #567 of 570 Old 04-26-2016, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks Anudist, for the kind words. You too, DMA001. Thanks.

I enjoy listening to music the way it is supposed to sound as it does during a live performance. When I first bought my BIC DV62si's I realized they could be a good modding platform because they are built from quality components and have a somewhat clear sound in their stock form. The problem with them is the response is not correct. I was eventually able to even out the response and a side effect of it turned out to be even more clarity. The HT performance is only icing on the cake. I am so happy with the potential of the little BICs that I made it my hobby to share it with others. I don't make any money from this. I only charge what is needed to cover my expenses. I think everybody needs to hear what these babies can do. They are simply amazing!

BIC DV62si speaker mod for warm musical sound. PM me for info.
post #568 of 570 Old 06-01-2016, 12:22 AM

I set to replace my LG HTIB system slowly or piece by piece and settled on BIC. From reading a lot on them I realized they have been making speakers for a long time.
Well I bought the 62sis as my fronts, then the 52clrs & replaced it with the 62clr-s later(what a difference). Yesterday I replaced the rears with the DV32-B(what compact & heavy speakers for their size.). Needed all my speakers to be 8ohms atleast.

In the course of my upgrade I learnt about bracing & damping, well I lined the insides of the DV62si fronts with sheep wool, made custom stands for them like ones in this thread. (Different color)

AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Audio > DIY Speakers and Subs > Speaker Stand Build

Been talking to Dave (very helpful guy, thanks Dave)
Now am left to get the sub(PL-200) hopefully by next week.
Regarding the receiver I have narrowed to either:
1. Yamaha 579
2. Denon
Thanks to all of you nice people for all help & recommendations. My budget system is growing piece by piece.
For the time being I have manually calibrated my setup using the decibel ultra app as my receiver has a basic speaker setup for distance & each speaker volume. No crossover change option. Also done a sub crawl for best placement & all I hear is improvement.
post #569 of 570 Old 06-11-2016, 07:52 PM

Well, got the sub (PL-200) yesterday. Connected it using the speaker wire method, set x-over to in on the sub, x-over to 80, sub volume to 9 o'clock. NOTHING, no sound at all from the sub but main L&R speakers are working.
For the sub to produce any sound (distorted noise not in any way bass as I had expected) I had to raise the x-over control all the way up & volume to max.
Disconnected the sub & back to the box it went. Read up on connecting powered subs to HTIBs and learned my receiver is just a pile of crap and even the speaker level connection method won't work. So my sub is well stored as I make a decision on the receiver to get.
All I can say, this sub is huge especially compared to the HTIB sub.

Last edited by Lion Rider; 07-05-2016 at 02:29 AM.
post #570 of 570 Old 06-16-2016, 10:54 PM

Replaced the lg HTIB with the Yamaha RX-V667 (7.2).
It will do for now with my budget.

Edit: Had my DV62si x-overs modded (Dave mod), what a difference. I now can listen music at high volumes without fatigue. They sound so much better. Anyone willing to experience the transformation contact Dave. Now my budget home theater is done and hope to enjoy it for a long time to come.

Front: Modded DV62si's
Centre: 62CLR-S
Surround: DV32-B
Sub: PL-200
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V667

Last edited by Lion Rider; 07-05-2016 at 02:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Awm Bic Venturi Bookshelf Speakers , Bic Venturi , Bic Venturi Dv32 Speaker , Bic Venturi Subwoofer V1020 , Bic Venturi Subwoofer V1220 , DV62si/DV62clr
Gear in this thread