post #121 of 493 Old 11-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post

You might be best suited to match up two more dv-62clr up front and more your dv62si as surrounds.

Two questions and one problem.

Question: Would two DV-62clr S as fronts match ok with older DV-62clr center?

Question2: What would using two DV-62 clrs for fronts add instead of keeping DV-62si as fronts?

Problem: Getting wife to agree with bigger dv-62si bookshelf as surrounds!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 493 Old 11-20-2010, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
They should match up fine. If you wanted to just get 2 more of the surroundsto replace the ones you have that would work too. What do you feel your set up is lacking? how big is your room and how far are your speakers away from you.

My system sounds real good but every now and again i think i want something new. Then i'll go and listen to what a buddy just bought and start to appreciate mine again. A lot has to do with the proper set up. not sure how Denon audyssey measure up against Pioneer's MCACC, but tweeking there may produce a nice balance in your system.

My guess is since you bought a beast of an A/V reciever, you want new speakers too.
post #123 of 493 Old 11-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They should match up fine. If you wanted to just get 2 more of the surroundsto replace the ones you have that would work too. What do you feel your set up is lacking? how big is your room and how far are your speakers away from you.

My system sounds real good but every now and again i think i want something new. Then i'll go and listen to what a buddy just bought and start to appreciate mine again. A lot has to do with the proper set up. not sure how Denon audyssey measure up against Pioneer's MCACC, but tweeking there may produce a nice balance in your system.

My guess is since you bought a beast of an A/V reciever, you want new speakers too.

Posted room size in my profile.

What do I feel my system is lacking?
1. Watching Top Gun now, not much coming from cheap rears.
2. A better sub? Like the F-12.

You are right, I got new Denon 3311 receiver coming and got "urge to splurge" on speakers. Plus, as I pointed out in earlier post, when asking about MultEq XT, one poster suggested I might appreciate the XT feature more with good speakers.

It's a bit hard to figure out how to place the pretty big DV62si bookshelf for surrounds. So I've been thinking of a minor upgrade to the Radio Shack surrounds (freq resp 120-20k), would be BIC DV 32 or Adatto DV52si Indoor/outdoor. And maybe a new sub?

Thanks,

Jeff
post #124 of 493 Old 11-20-2010, 02:29 PM

your room's about the same size as mine. I sit 14' away from my screen so i actually put my surrounds behind me. It took me a couple of days to fool around with my new pioneer reciever before i got things right. These things have so many features and surround modes that it can really change the way your system sounds.

Turn off all other speakers and focus on your rears to see if you can't get them set up better. Really, either you get new speakers, test them, then keep or return them. Good luck either way. Try hiting a forum for your reciever and see if your set up properly.
post #125 of 493 Old 11-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Could someone PM me with Ed Frias' email (he did BIC speaker crossover mods). The old email I have for him does not work.

Thanks.

EDIT: Found it ...thanks
post #126 of 493 Old 11-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525 View Post

I have BIC DV62si front speakers, DV62CLR center, Sony 12" sub, and Radio Shack Optimus Pro 7 Indoor/Outdoor speakers for surrounds. Room is about 20 wide' x 15' deep, with 8.5' ceiling. Left wall cover in brick fireplace, rear wall is almost all window, right is open to kitchen.

So I'm wondering first of upgrading Optimus Pro 7 surrounds, they are pretty weak, have 50 watt max, and 120-20,000 freq response. I was thinking of DV32 or the Adatto DV52si Indoor/Outdoor. Any suggestions here about surround replacement?

I found the BIC Accoustech HT-56 indoor/outdoor, which is a bit bigger, but is in white, so also could match the rear walls, like the DV32 or Adatto DV52si. The HT-56 has a 6 1/2" woofer like the front and centers, so might be a better match for my DV62 front and centers.
The HT-56 has a sensitivity of 93db which is higher than the 90db sensitivity of the front and centers,and I hope that is ok.

Comments on the HT-56 for my surrounds? Vs the Adatto DV52si I/O or DV32?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jeff
post #127 of 493 Old 11-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

I posted on Speakers about my upgrade ideas, and folks seem to think I should first think about replacing my BIC DV62 front and center speakers. One poster called them $50 speakers.
post #128 of 493 Old 11-23-2010, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

I posted on Speakers about my upgrade ideas, and folks seem to think I should first think about replacing my BIC DV62 front and center speakers. One poster called them $50 speakers.

You can tell them that these speakers are from a SOLID, well reviewed 10-year old design. Home Theater Magazine reviewed the BIC DV62CLR-S and it was called, "...hands-down the best sounding center speaker I've ever heard."

That was 10 years ago but I can ASSURE you, this is one BIG, nice sounding center channel that can be mounted vertically and used as a right/left speaker as well.

Also, remember, these speakers being a 10-year old design is WHY they are so inexpensive now. The manufacturer has been able to build it at a lower cost.

Also, speaker technology has changed very little in the last 10 years. Crossovers, speakers, tweeters are still made with the same science as they were a decade ago. So, if a speaker sounded great 10-years ago (heck, even 30 years ago), it will still sound great today.

Anyone who puts down this speaker doesn't know what they are talking about and need to get some knowledge before acting up. But of course, it's up to YOUR ears. If you think you need something better, that's your call. I have heard many speakers over the years and I own these. When I have more money in my pocket, I'm NOT buying anything else. I love my BIC speakers and they sound as good as anything I've heard in recent times at electronic stores at multiple times the price.
post #129 of 493 Old 11-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

I've had a pair of DV62si Bookshelf speakers and center DV62clr.

Is there any reason I should not use the bookshelf DV62si on their sides?

The reason I'm asking is that NHT said their Classic Three bookshelf was not designed to work on the side, the speaker would output too much to floor and ceiling when placed on the said. He recommended using their center speaker for the front left and riight

Will I have the same problem using the BIC DV62si bookshelf on it's side?

Jeff
post #130 of 493 Old 11-24-2010, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've had a pair of DV62si Bookshelf speakers and center DV62clr.

Is there any reason I should not use the bookshelf DV62si on their sides?

The reason I'm asking is that NHT said their Classic Three bookshelf was not designed to work on the side, the speaker would output too much to floor and ceiling when placed on the said. He recommended using their center speaker for the front left and riight

Will I have the same problem using the BIC DV62si bookshelf on it's side?

Jeff

Due to sound dispersion and that speakers are generally tested for and recommended to be 'standing' upright, there is a valid concern for not mounting them on the sides. Because the position of the midrange, it would seem that you run a serious risk of getting your tweeter sound muted a bit. Most speaker manufacturers place tweeters relative to the woofer position to limit it's dispersion pattern. If you turn a speaker on it's side, you will be messing with the intended tweeter dispersion. So, my answer based on my experience is, no, don't turn your speaker on it's side. You will mess up your tweeter's dispersion (unless the designer states otherwise).
post #131 of 493 Old 11-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Well, one of my BIC DV62si speakers stopped working today after at least 10 years. I was playing a couple of movies loud (well loud for me), and right speaker does not work now. Volume was mostly around 80 db, with 90 db peaks, although I did turn it somewhat higher briefly, just to check higher levels. Probably never much past 1/2 on my Technics 100 watt receiver.

I actually noticed it stopped working after I hooked up new Denon 3311 receiver, and right front did not work. Turns out it's the speaker, as surround works fine when hooked up to the front right channel.

1. Any thoughts about fixing it? Maybe the binding posts bad after a few connects and disconnects? How do you check, by removing the 6 1/2 in woofer from the front?

2. What should I do to replace? I have bookshelf speakers on the side now for right and left front. Should I get two BIC DV62-clrs to go with my BIC DV62-clr center speark (no "s" model on my center)?

3. Or if I wanted to spend up to maybe $1000, would that awaken up my HT system, with some other speakers? Or are your thoughts adding a couple of DV 62-clrs to my older DV 62-clrs would be a great way to go?

Thanks for your ideas on fixing binding posts, and replacing my front/right and maybe center speaker.

Jeff
post #132 of 493 Old 11-30-2010, 06:34 AM

Jeff,

Seriously you're more of s procrastinator than me. Just dump the bic and get new speakers already. Stop looking for excuses, at least that's what the wife says I do.

I know the formula series is designed to work either way. Good luck
post #133 of 493 Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jeff,

Seriously you're more of s procrastinator than me. Just dump the bic and get new speakers already. Stop looking for excuses, at least that's what the wife says I do.

I know the formula series is designed to work either way. Good luck

Well, the right front speaker going bad yesterday is going to greatly accelerate me getting speakers.

I'm just trying to figure out whether to replace the two bookshelf speakers with another set of bookshelf speakers (have to go on their side), or buy two center channels to match the DV62-clr. Interesting to hear formula series could be put on the side, NHT told me not to do that with their bookshelf speakers, and someone posted here not to put bookshelf speakers on side as well.

I probably would spend up to $1000 for the two (or three), I'm just wondering if I can do better than spend $200 for two DV62-clrs. (for instance, I could spend about $1000 for three NHT Classic Three centers.) Thoughts here would be greatly appreciated. How does the Formula FH6-LCR compare to the DV62-CLRS? (guess with FH6-LCR, I would have to buy center channel as well)

Thanks for your recommendations, front and center.

Jeff
post #134 of 493 Old 11-30-2010, 07:51 AM

I still stand by what I said earlier. Get 2 more of the 62clr.
post #135 of 493 Old 11-30-2010, 01:22 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Well, the right front speaker going bad yesterday is going to greatly accelerate me getting speakers.

Hey Jeff, I'll take those DV62si speakers off your hands. I see you are in the bay area, not far away.
post #136 of 493 Old 11-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

There was mention of the Formula FH6-LCR earlier in this thread.

Any opinions of this center channel vs. the DV62-CLRS?
I'm thinking of using either of them for my fronts and right. (I have Dv62-CLR for center).
post #137 of 493 Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Suggestions have been for me to put a couple of DV62-CLRS on the front right and left. But the only place I have for the speakers in my HT cabinet is a space 32" wide by 9" tall.

I've had my bookshelf speakers (DV62si) on their sides in there for 10 years, and did not realize I was hurting the speaker's "imaging".

From what I've been reading, front and right should always be vertical. And that center should be vertical as well, but the compromise is horizontal for the center.

So I would appreciate your thoughts on placing MTM centers on the right and left channels. I almost wonder if bookshelf MT would be a better solution with less imaging problems than MTM.

Your thoughts are welcome!

Thanks,

Jeff
post #138 of 493 Old 12-01-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Suggestions have been for me to put a couple of DV62-CLRS on the front right and left. But the only place I have for the speakers in my HT cabinet is a space 32" wide by 9" tall.

I've had my bookshelf speakers (DV62si) on their sides in there for 10 years, and did not realize I was hurting the speaker's "imaging".

From what I've been reading, front and right should always be vertical. And that center should be vertical as well, but the compromise is horizontal for the center.

So I would appreciate your thoughts on placing MTM centers on the right and left channels. I almost wonder if bookshelf MT would be a better solution with less imaging problems than MTM.

Your thoughts are welcome!

Thanks,

Jeff

I'm not sure what you want us to suggest at this point. The recommended setup for the front 3 channels is a vertical standing MTM array (although using R/L 2-way speakers is perfectly fine in most setups). The recommended surrounds would be the matching 2-ways (or in my case a mismatched brand with di-pole tweeters yet still uses polypropylene drivers). I love the way mine sound and mine would be better in a slightly larger room and viewing distance. You must decide whether your furniture and mounting style is more important to you than the audio performance. I, myself, am going to always design the furniture around the constraints of the speaker position for sound quality. But that's me. We all have different priorities. My priorities are just a bit abnormal. :P
post #139 of 493 Old 12-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Here are my questions:

I understand that MTM and MT speakers sound best when used vertical. At least that what I've read so far.

1. But will the average listener even notice if bookshelf speakers (mine are DV62si) are placed on their side? Is the difference very subtle, so for most it's hard to hear? Or is the difference great, so that moving bookshelf speakers from horizontal to vertical will cause the listener to say "Wow, I've really been missing a lot"?

2. Are MTM center channel speakers any better for horizontal use than bookshelf speakers used on their sides? For instance, for front left and right use, will the average listener really like a center channel speakers (like my DV62-CLR) when used horizontally a lot more than the bookshelf (DV62si used on it's side).

3. If you think MTM center channel speakers used horizontally, are better than bookshelf speakers on side, which MTM do you suggest? DV62-CLRS or FH6-LCR or VK-LCR? Or some other recommendation?

Thanks,

Jeff
post #140 of 493 Old 12-02-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are my questions:

I understand that MTM and MT speakers sound best when used vertical. At least that what I've read so far.

1. But will the average listener even notice if bookshelf speakers (mine are DV62si) are placed on their side? Is the difference very subtle, so for most it's hard to hear? Or is the difference great, so that moving bookshelf speakers from horizontal to vertical will cause the listener to say "Wow, I've really been missing a lot"?

2. Are MTM center channel speakers any better for horizontal use than bookshelf speakers used on their sides? For instance, for front left and right use, will the average listener really like a center channel speakers (like my DV62-CLR) when used horizontally a lot more than the bookshelf (DV62si used on it's side).

3. If you think MTM center channel speakers used horizontally, are better than bookshelf speakers on side, which MTM do you suggest? DV62-CLRS or FH6-LCR or VK-LCR? Or some other recommendation?

Thanks,

Jeff

I think it will be "noticeable". Although you will only know if it's "objectionable" if you think it is.
post #141 of 493 Old 12-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Well, my speaker is fixed! Dave1027 found a bad solder connection for one of the crossover coils. Dave also owns BIC DV62si speakers, and has modified his to take out some of the harshness. So, we played with mine and found a perfect smooth balance between tweeter and woofer.

I will report back more after I have listened to them.

And I will test the speakers on vertical and on side and see if I can hear a difference.
post #142 of 493 Old 12-10-2010, 09:40 PM

Question, the v1020 spec sheet says crossover variable 26-180 Hz but the knob only goes as low as 40Hz.

What gives?
post #143 of 493 Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBronze View Post

Question, the v1020 spec sheet says crossover variable 26-180 Hz but the knob only goes as low as 40Hz.

What gives?

Well, for a 10" sub, there's not much use for any low-pass below 40Hz anyway. There is going to be very little usable sound under that frequency anyway. 30Hz is about as low as that thing will get at best.
post #144 of 493 Old 12-11-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

Well, for a 10" sub, there's not much use for any low-pass below 40Hz anyway. There is going to be very little usable sound under that frequency anyway. 30Hz is about as low as that thing will get at best.

Yeah, dunno subs really, but seems like a bit of mis-advertising. One of the reasons i got this sub over a Polk psw111 was the frequency response value. Its been said the Polk I was looking at is not even technically a sub because it doesn't get lower than 38Hz.

Unless of course crossover settings isn't exactly the same as frequency response.
post #145 of 493 Old 12-12-2010, 09:15 PM

hey guys im thinking about buying some dv64's and the dv 62 center to replace my polk monitor 50's and a polk cs10 center. ive never heard the bic's so im wondering if you guys think its a good move. im running them with a Harmon avr 254. i'm also planning to buy there sub the v-1220. thanks in advance for any suggestions.
post #146 of 493 Old 12-13-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adames22 View Post

hey guys im thinking about buying some dv64's and the dv 62 center to replace my polk monitor 50's and a polk cs10 center. ive never heard the bic's so im wondering if you guys think its a good move. im running them with a Harmon avr 254. i'm also planning to buy there sub the v-1220. thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I have this speaker system and my younger brother has similar Polk speakers. I think the BIC are a slight bit better but most people aren't going to tell much of a difference. The BICs will have just a tad different sounding tweeter but similar mids.
post #147 of 493 Old 12-15-2010, 12:14 PM

I've been doing some reading and right now I'm planning to purchase two BIC DV64 mains, a DV-62CLRS center, and either the F12 or the H-100 subwoofer.

Does anyone know how much weight i can place on top of a BIC DV-62CLRS center channel speaker? I want to set the base of my TV stand on top of the speaker. My TV (Sony BRAVIA EX 500 series 55 inch LCD) with the stand weighs a total of 78 lbs. The base of the TV stand is about the same size of the speaker, so the weight should be pretty well distributed. I might place a thin sheet of wood or metal the same size as the speaker to make sure the weight is evenly distributed over the entire speaker.

I think it will hold the weight, but I wanted to see if anyone knows for sure or has an opinion.
Any thoughts or opinions on which sub to get?
post #148 of 493 Old 12-15-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathrash View Post
I've been doing some reading and right now I'm planning to purchase two BIC DV64 mains, a DV-62CLRS center, and either the F12 or the H-100 subwoofer.

Does anyone know how much weight i can place on top of a BIC DV-62CLRS center channel speaker? I want to set the base of my TV stand on top of the speaker. My TV (Sony BRAVIA EX 500 series 55 inch LCD) with the stand weighs a total of 78 lbs. The base of the TV stand is about the same size of the speaker, so the weight should be pretty well distributed. I might place a thin sheet of wood or metal the same size as the speaker to make sure the weight is evenly distributed over the entire speaker.

I think it will hold the weight, but I wanted to see if anyone knows for sure or has an opinion.
Any thoughts or opinions on which sub to get?
Assuming your stand truly fits within the dimensions of the top of the speaker, it should hold 78 pounds. When I get home, I will stand on one of my center speakers and see if there is any flexing. I weigh 185 pounds. I bet it will hold my weight with no problem.
post #149 of 493 Old 12-15-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

Assuming your stand truly fits within the dimensions of the top of the speaker, it should hold 78 pounds. When I get home, I will stand on one of my center speakers and see if there is any flexing. I weigh 185 pounds. I bet it will hold my weight with no problem.

That would be awesome... but you don't have to put ALL your weight on it. I don't want you to chance crushing your speaker. Just give it about half your weight and let me know how it goes.
post #150 of 493 Old 12-15-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post

Any chance to beg/borrow/steal a high powered amp to hear if more usable power gives more headroom? I suspect more power will sound good with these speakers...

I'm contemplating a 3-channel amp to upgrade my front soundstage and would love some input in this matter.

tk

OK I did it. Got myself a Rotel RMB 1066. I'm bridging channels, so I've got it at 150watts per 3 channels powering my front sound stage (L, C, R).

All I can say is that even with "Budget" speakers, it is very worthwhile, especially for dialog. I've always had an issue with the Blu Ray Watchmen. I've always thought that the dialog was rather subdued. I thought that's how it was mastered, but after adding the amp and re-running Audyssey, there definitely is a noticeable improvement.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Venturi , Bic Venturi Subwoofer V1020 , Bic Venturi Subwoofer V1220 , Bic Venturi Dv32 Speaker , Awm Bic Venturi Bookshelf Speakers
Gear in this thread - V1220 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page