post #211 of 498 Old 04-09-2011, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassnlogan View Post
Right now I have a 3.1 system with a Yamaha 3900, Aperion 632 LR for fronts, and a HSU STF-2 for sub. I used to have some old Polk R10's for surrounds but I got rid of them. I recently acquired a SACD player, so I want to go back to a 5.1 system. I am looking for some good inexpensive surrounds to match up. How would the DV62's fare in this system?
Ok, I did a little research. Your Aperion Intimus 632-LR Bookshelf Speakers use carbon fiber for the woofer and a silk dome tweeter as seen here:

I found a set of speakers from another brand that is cheap and have a high likelyhood to match the sonic character of your Aperion fronts, not only that, it's wood finish is in the ballpark so it won't look too much different:

$100 - Pure Acoustics DREAMTOWERSC Rear Surround Speakers. Carbon Fiber woofers, Silk Dome Tweeters.

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Acoustics...2408790&sr=1-6

You're welcome.

On a side note. What is the size of your room? The Pure Acoustics surrounds WILL need to operate somewhat NEAR your seated area and will need to go in a small room. A crossover of 120Hz will need to be applied to these and they will need to be tuned via a decent auto-calibration receiver. Don't expect great bass performance from these tiny speakers. Overall, after auto-calibration these should have a decent shot at matching the character of your Aperions. There are no guarantees but I bet in a small room, mounted near your listening position, these will work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 498 Old 04-10-2011, 08:26 AM

Liked: 10
timothy, thanks for the research and the reply. I had already thought of matching the tweeter and driver materials, but I'm wondering if that's absolutely necessary. My room currently is about 16x19 with 1 entire side open to the kitchen. I would be putting the surrounds on either side of my primary listening position, a double recliner, at about ear level when seated. But I am probably going to be moving in the next 2-3 months. I'm a pretty patient buyer, and I check my local craigslist often, along with audiogon, so when the right deal comes along, I'll be there. Again, just curious, is it an absolute that tweeter and driver have to match mains? I had always been under the impression that it wasn't that important for mains and surrounds to match.
post #213 of 498 Old 04-10-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

timothy, thanks for the research and the reply. I had already thought of matching the tweeter and driver materials, but I'm wondering if that's absolutely necessary. My room currently is about 16x19 with 1 entire side open to the kitchen. I would be putting the surrounds on either side of my primary listening position, a double recliner, at about ear level when seated. But I am probably going to be moving in the next 2-3 months. I'm a pretty patient buyer, and I check my local craigslist often, along with audiogon, so when the right deal comes along, I'll be there. Again, just curious, is it an absolute that tweeter and driver have to match mains? I had always been under the impression that it wasn't that important for mains and surrounds to match.

If you believe that, try an experiment that should change your mind. Connect the analog R/L output from your Bluray player to the front-left & rear right 5.1 analog input on your receiver. This will play your front-left and rear right as a stereo pair. Do they sound like a matched pair? They won't. Then try to auto-EQ them and test again. They might be closer but no. I had to run my MCACC auto-tune, then go into the manual EQ mode and manually adjust the EQ by hand until my mains and surround matched up well. After doing that, my system is amazing sounding. The pans from the surrounds to the fronts are seemless.

Matching at least the driver materials increases your chances of matching up the sound character. I have tried EQing mismatched speaker in the past by hand and when the driver material is different, it still sounds different to me. Of course even with similar driver materials, there is no guarantee.
post #214 of 498 Old 04-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Hmmm, never had considered that. Of course I'm an old fart and my hearing isn't the greatest anyway!
post #215 of 498 Old 04-10-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm, never had considered that. Of course I'm an old fart and my hearing isn't the greatest anyway!

Ah. I use music CDs to play the into the 2-channels for the test. Rock music seems to do well because of all the distortion, vocals and cymbals giving you a good sampling of the spectrum of frequencies in a way I'm familiar with. Aerosmith seems to work for me.

I'm 38 and lately I keep thinking I'm getting old, then I just decide to enjoy myself at something and it seems to restore the youthful feel of things. Don't know why but that seems to be working for me as I enter the mid-life.
post #216 of 498 Old 04-11-2011, 11:54 AM

Liked: 30
Venturi thread! Awesome. I just ordered up 2 dv-64's a dv62clrs and a marantz sr5005. My current setup is a 130$ philips Htib which sounds absolutely awful. Dialogue in movies is incomprehensible, and wont even play music on it. Ive since stopped using it and am using my tv's stock speakers again. I am hoping this combo of the marantz reciever with the bic's gives me a step up from this philips but I dont want to be too optimistic. Also built a 64" entertainment center out of solid oak to accomodate all my new "goodies". Once all the components arrive, ill take pictures and provide a thorough review of the speakers on this thread, and the reciever on the corresponding marantz thread. Ive heard so many good things about these speakers, im just hoping We dont miss dialogue in movies anymore!! I thought I was going to have a home theater experience before with the philips. It was a total waste of money and in hindsight i would have saved it towards this system. the thing couldnt even support dts content, what a joke. So now i play the waiting game, and all my components should be here thursday.....IM PSYCHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #217 of 498 Old 04-11-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick1229 View Post

Venturi thread! Awesome. I just ordered up 2 dv-64's a dv62clrs and a marantz sr5005. So now i play the waiting game, and all my components should be here thursday.....IM PSYCHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must compliment you on your most excellent choice sir! This is one of the more smooth/hifi sounding budget speaker lineups available today. There are silly people paying much more money than necessary for the sound they can get for the DV series. A 10-year old tried and true design with a list of marvelous reviews and owner satisfaction feedback. It really says something when a company doesn't change a design for this many years. It tells me it's about the best bang for buck design they could develop and they can't really improve on it for what they are selling it for.

To illustrate how awesome the DV series is. The center channel is so massive and capable of such great output that I am using it for my R/L mains mounted on pedestals. Just look at the size of these compared to a large 55" LCD TV:

That is a center channel for $100 each? And it's a REALLY nice sounding speaker too. You don't get this sound quality and size from ANY other speaker maker for anything close to that price, period. I know, I tried and I couldn't NOT buy these after doing all my homework. During my research, I went to Fry's locally and in order to get a center channel with dual 6.5's, Polk and Infinity's offerings in this size range for a center is $299! And they don't even sound as good. So, any budget HT shopper who has very little cash, who did their homework, would be extremely foolish to pass these up. They are beyong the best bang for buck speakers in my opinion.
post #218 of 498 Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post
That is a center channel for $100 each? And it's a REALLY nice sounding speaker too. You don't get this sound quality and size from ANY other speaker maker for anything close to that price, period. I know, I tried and I couldn't NOT buy these after doing all my homework. During my research, I went to Fry's locally and in order to get a center channel with dual 6.5's, Polk and Infinity's offerings in this size range for a center is $299! And they don't even sound as good. So, any budget HT shopper who has very little cash, who did their homework, would be extremely foolish to pass these up. They are beyong the best bang for buck speakers in my opinion.
That is a great setup. The DV62CLR is a real sleeper speaker around here. But I'd have to agree.
Biggz
post #219 of 498 Old 04-11-2011, 07:12 PM

Thanks Tim... now i hope the marantz does its part. I actually got the center for a littlle under eighty. Was patroling amazon like a crackhead at 12 am and snatched it up. It does look pretty chunky even next to your tv. I got the 64's as i dont have a sub yet, but after a few weeks ill have enough saved. Any suggestions for a good sub to match these in the 250 300 range? For now im gonna use these cheap sats i have for the front and back surrounds. Say Tim, what reciever are you running? I cant wait to review my stuff!!!!
post #220 of 498 Old 04-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick1229
Thanks Tim... now i hope the marantz does its part. I actually got the center for a littlle under eighty. Was patroling amazon like a crackhead at 12 am and snatched it up. It does look pretty chunky even next to your tv. I got the 64's as i dont have a sub yet, but after a few weeks ill have enough saved. Any suggestions for a good sub to match these in the 250 300 range? For now im gonna use these cheap sats i have for the front and back surrounds. Say Tim, what reciever are you running? I cant wait to review my stuff!!!!
Depening on your room size Subwoofer wise, The BIC F12 gets lots of love around these parts, not just the BIC forums but on avs in general. Can be had for less the two hundred.

PSN: futurecode
post #221 of 498 Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 PM

Yea im narrowing it down to the psw505 from polk the bic h100 or the f12. My room is large. Thanks for the suggestion man!
post #222 of 498 Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick1229
Yea im narrowing it down to the psw505 from polk the bic h100 or the f12. My room is large. Thanks for the suggestion man!
If your dealing with a large room you might wanna look at two f12's subs instead of one h100 or psw505. With some savy online shopping and good timing, you could fit to f12's in you budget.

post #223 of 498 Old 04-12-2011, 06:28 AM

yea, thing is i have a 2 year old with one on the way. dont need excessive loud bass, but well controlled low volume bass (and the occasional music pound session to scratch the itch) also, 2 subs exceeds the WAF. but hey I will definetly consider the F12, it certainly is affordable. im getting the dv62clrs today and cant wait to see how she fits into my entertainment center!! the marantz will be here friday it seems..... also thanks again guys for the info!
post #224 of 498 Old 04-12-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yea, thing is i have a 2 year old with one on the way. dont need excessive loud bass, but well controlled low volume bass (and the occasional music pound session to scratch the itch) also, 2 subs exceeds the WAF. but hey I will definetly consider the F12, it certainly is affordable. im getting the dv62clrs today and cant wait to see how she fits into my entertainment center!! the marantz will be here friday it seems..... also thanks again guys for the info!

One of the things about speaker sound IMO, especially if you want a mello, smooth sound, is to try to use a small room, make sure that room has a carpet and soft couches and finally, allow for as much clean bass as possible.

If your room is large, you may want to add a 2nd sub and I hope you have carpeting and sofas, etc. These speakers sound smooth but that won't matter if the room is very hard surfaced AND large. Right now I want to taper your expectations since your room might not be able to allow a nice setup to shine. I'm hopeful it sounds fantastic for you.
post #225 of 498 Old 04-12-2011, 07:34 PM

Hey, Tim i really appreciate it. Its nice to get feedback from people who genuinely want to help. My living room is carpeted, and i have soft plush couches. Matter of fact youll see my living room once i put my entertainment center in it. Btw my dv62clrs arrived today... fits in the oak cabinet perfect!! Just waiting on the poly to dry, the dv64's the cables, and the marantz. I wonder what bluray i should get from netflix next!!!! I think im gonna go with the f12 when i save up some more.
post #226 of 498 Old 04-13-2011, 04:13 PM

Just got my DV-64's!!!!! YAYAAAAA. on a side note, my neighbor has a pair of definitive bp7006's. he asked me to look at them and said the left sounded blown. so i go over there, and asked him if i could take the driver out and he said yes. Took the driver out and i was shocked to see that the magnet housing that gets screwed to the enclosure was broken leaving the magnet hang there stretching the surround and cone. Upon further investigation, the housings are made of cheap ass plastic. It totally baffles me why a speaker company would use a high end driver with such inferior mounting materials. i wonder if my bics have a metal surround, im tempted to take the driver out to check it out. also i have the dv62clrs along with 2 dv 64's now and waiting for reciever and cables. Im extremely excited, and cant wait to experience some clarity. i found a velodyne center channel speaker in an attic of a house my father in law just bought, he said take it and keep or sell it. it seems very solid and am wondering if i should use that instead? Cant find any info on it but like i said it seems really solid. it too has two 6.5 inch woofers and a tweeter and is sealed. any suggestions?
post #227 of 498 Old 04-13-2011, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got my DV-64's!!!!! YAYAAAAA. on a side note, my neighbor has a pair of definitive bp7006's. he asked me to look at them and said the left sounded blown. so i go over there, and asked him if i could take the driver out and he said yes. Took the driver out and i was shocked to see that the magnet housing that gets screwed to the enclosure was broken leaving the magnet hang there stretching the surround and cone. Upon further investigation, the housings are made of cheap ass plastic. It totally baffles me why a speaker company would use a high end driver with such inferior mounting materials. i wonder if my bics have a metal surround, im tempted to take the driver out to check it out. also i have the dv62clrs along with 2 dv 64's now and waiting for reciever and cables. Im extremely excited, and cant wait to experience some clarity. i found a velodyne center channel speaker in an attic of a house my father in law just bought, he said take it and keep or sell it. it seems very solid and am wondering if i should use that instead? Cant find any info on it but like i said it seems really solid. it too has two 6.5 inch woofers and a tweeter and is sealed. any suggestions?

Nah. Keep the speaker setup matched. Using another center channel brand isn't a good idea. It may not matchup even after the receiver auto-calibrates. Besides. The DV62CLR center is a very good speaker. No reason to use another type.
post #228 of 498 Old 04-13-2011, 10:33 PM

so, i was wondering, i plan to get a DV62si pair soon but my TV doesn't have sufficient space to hold them so i decided to get some speaker stands. are there any recommendations? do i need something that is 3 feet tall or will a 24" one do? i plan to run it thru a onkyo Sr309 or a Rc260 from onkyo. of course all those things will be bought in the future. i've looked around but EVERYTHING that looks half decent costs as much as my speakers which sounds insane.
post #229 of 498 Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wywern209 View Post

so, i was wondering, i plan to get a DV62si pair soon but my TV doesn't have sufficient space to hold them so i decided to get some speaker stands. are there any recommendations? do i need something that is 3 feet tall or will a 24" one do? i plan to run it thru a onkyo Sr309 or a Rc260 from onkyo. of course all those things will be bought in the future. i've looked around but EVERYTHING that looks half decent costs as much as my speakers which sounds insane.

24 inches should put them at just about ear level. Also try making your own stands.
Biggz
post #230 of 498 Old 04-14-2011, 08:03 AM

I would definetly try making your own stands if you have the tools. If you dont have the tools try asking a friend toborrow them. My entertainment center came out sweet and it cost a total of 189 dollars. Im waiting for the second coat of poly to dry on it and my reciever should be here today!!!!!!!!!!! Too bad my table wont be done drying until tomorow cant wait to show u guys this table. As for the velodyne imay sell it off... whoknows
post #231 of 498 Old 04-14-2011, 03:20 PM

You'll like the sound of the DV / Marantz combo. The DV62CLR center is great for dialog. Try to get a sub with clean bass (as clean as you can find). Nothing worse than flabby bass ruining the rest of a solid system.
post #232 of 498 Old 04-15-2011, 08:53 AM

Hey guys, I'm in the process of setting up my HT system and have been looking at the Bic Venturi DV84's. A guy here in town has a pair he is selling for $150. He said he's had them for 2 years, what is the life expectancy on these things. I'm really cautious on buying used stuff, because, like in this case, you don't know how hard he's been running them. Are there any certain things I should look for or listen for? What questions should I ask? Do you guys think $150 is too high for these 2 yr old speakers? I just bought an Onkyo TX-NR509, and will be buying a V1220 or and F12 to go with it. I already have my surrounds and will be get my center channel later. Thoughts?
post #233 of 498 Old 04-15-2011, 03:00 PM

All i gotta say is YESSSS This is what movies and music is supposed to sound like!!! it sounded great and then i ran audyssey and it sounds even better. It set my left and right and center as "Large" but i can definetly tell that id benefit from a sub. the dv 64's sound is quite startling. they are very accurate and produce extremely clean sound. the dv62clrs also is impressive, no more will i be dealing with mumbles speech, and i can say that without the shadow of a doubt! im going to watch my first Lossless audio blue ray TONIGHT!!! YESSSSSSSSSS! wanna see some pics of my goodies???? hopefully i can get this thing to upload my files....... also, check out my cabinet. freshly dried poly... still have to add door pulls. more pics to come... also i utilized those really crappy sats from the philips... and even though they are really bad the marantz makes them sound better than they did.
LL
LL
LL
post #234 of 498 Old 04-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All i gotta say is YESSSS This is what movies and music is supposed to sound like!!! it sounded great and then i ran audyssey and it sounds even better. It set my left and right and center as "Large" but i can definetly tell that id benefit from a sub. the dv 64's sound is quite startling. they are very accurate and produce extremely clean sound. the dv62clrs also is impressive, no more will i be dealing with mumbles speech, and i can say that without the shadow of a doubt! im going to watch my first Lossless audio blue ray TONIGHT!!! YESSSSSSSSSS! wanna see some pics of my goodies???? hopefully i can get this thing to upload my files....... also, check out my cabinet. freshly dried poly... still have to add door pulls. more pics to come... also i utilized those really crappy sats from the philips... and even though they are really bad the marantz makes them sound better than they did.

Good stuff!

I entered into the world of the BIC Veturi's under much the same circumstances. I had a Technics surround system but it was super old and I found myself adjusting volume to hear speech and adjusting volume to lower action sequences. Got fed up and took the plunge and an more then happy I did.

I know things sound great now, but just wait till you get that sub, another world ill open for ya! Love me some bass!

Cheers!

post #235 of 498 Old 04-15-2011, 04:41 PM

I went ahead and got the DV84's for $150 for the pair off Craigslist. The guy had a ton of stuff at his house, so while I was over there I grabbed a Definitive Technology center channel for $60. My receiver can not get here soon enough!
post #236 of 498 Old 04-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck PixeL View Post

I went ahead and got the DV84's for $150 for the pair off Craigslist. The guy had a ton of stuff at his house, so while I was over there I grabbed a Definitive Technology center channel for $60. My receiver can not get here soon enough!

If the DV84's are in good shape that's a great buy. Being that they are two years old, unless the guy beat the crap outta them, they are just perfectly broken in!

post #237 of 498 Old 04-16-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is the guy that nodded the crossovers in the dv64s still around? Or do we have to try and DIY it ?
post #238 of 498 Old 04-16-2011, 08:33 PM

Efespeakers@comspeed.net. dont get em modded they are fine the way they are!
post #239 of 498 Old 04-16-2011, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Did they change the crossover design. There used to be several people who said the modded crossover was a huge difference.
post #240 of 498 Old 04-17-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

Did they change the crossover design. There used to be several people who said the modded crossover was a huge difference.

Yes this is true, but sometimes the difference was not for the better. There is a fellow on the board with experience in modding BIC speakers named Dave. He also has had experience with Ed's mods. You may want to look further back on this thread and email him. Or better yet maybe he'll add some insight to this discussion. How long have you had the DV64's?

Most of the Mods that I've read about was on DV62si's, although there have been a few post on the DV62CLR's and the DV64's.

Personally modded? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Biggz
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Venturi , Bic Venturi Subwoofer V1020 , Bic Venturi Subwoofer V1220 , Bic Venturi Dv32 Speaker , Awm Bic Venturi Bookshelf Speakers
Gear in this thread - V1220 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page