Hekp with Speakers.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-09-2009, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I never thought that selecting speakers for my HT will be so difficult. I guess that is the beauty of sound..you can spend anywhere from $60 to $6000 and more on a 5.1 system. I wanted to get some help from the other members on speaker selection. I have a budget of about $600-$700 for a 5.1 system which I plan to use 40% for Games (PS3), 40% Movies, 10% music and 10% TV.
I have been looking at the following setup and wanted to seek advice as to which might be a better option.
1. Polk Audio Tsi 300 (fronts) along with a Tsi 100 surrounds and CS 10 center with PSW111 sub.
2. Polk Audio Rti A4 (fronts and surround) with a CS 5 center and PSW 111 sub
3. Bose Acoustimass 10 Series IV
4. Any other systems for under $700.
I am planning pair the 5.1 system with either VSX-1019 or VSX-919.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraz View Post

I never thought that selecting speakers for my HT will be so difficult...

... and who knew spelling would prove the hardest part of all?

Which Polk Audio RTi A series did you mean for #2? None of the models you list exist. I am guessing "CSi5" center, but that's from a generation before RTi A

In any case, most any real speakers would sound better than the Acoustimass® in the same price range, so you are right listing them a #3.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Polks are on the bright side. Energys are warm and neutral. Have you gone to listen to any with music in hand?

Polk SL2000WC $3 DIY mod. Smaller the uf, the less harsh your SL2000 is.
1. SRS: .47 uf/250v mylar cap top SL2000, 1.0 2nd, 1.0 3rd, .47 bottom
2. 2.3: 1.0 middle
3. 1C: 1.0 top
4. 2B: 1.0
post #4 of 9 Old 12-09-2009, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinipux77 View Post

... and who knew spelling would prove the hardest part of all?

Which Polk Audio RTi A series did you mean for #2? None of the models you list exist. I am guessing "CSi5" center, but that's from a generation before RTi A

Sorry about the spellings.....that is always the hardest part..... .

I was talking about the Rti A1 book shelf speakers....A lot of people praise RTi series a lot more than TSi series......but i am not sure if it would wise to compare RTi bookshelves to Tsi Floor standings.

BTW what's up with Bose....a lot of people don't like them but just from store demo they sounded decent.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-09-2009, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhulio View Post

Polks are on the bright side.

By bright side do you mean, clear highs?. I listened to Polk Tsi and Klipsch reference at best buy. TSi sounded pretty good but surely Klipsch was way better but also well beyond my price range.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraz View Post

By bright side do you mean, clear highs?. I listened to Polk Tsi and Klipsch reference at best buy. TSi sounded pretty good but surely Klipsch was way better but also well beyond my price range.

Most people describe speakers as "bright" when they feel highs are more pronounced compared to the rest of the range. I think you are describing the same with "clear highs". Also what specifically did you like in Klipsch compared to Polks? The trick is that not everyone hears the same, and not everyone finds the same sound signatures pleasing.

Back to your choices... small towers vs. bookshelves vs. Bose satellites.

I'd consider overall package, and to me four RTi A1's with a matching CSi A center (CSi A4 or A6) is a better quality choice than TSi300-based setup. CSi A centers are also better than their CS counterparts. Some people just prefer the look of towers.

Again, which Klipsch and Polk TSi's did you hear, and why did you prefer Klipsch Reference? Was it in the same room and with the same source?

edit: also, stepping up to RTi A series, you get a choice of di-/bi-pole surrounds, such as FXi A4 and A6 (and also prior generation FXi3 and FXi5 if you want), and if in the future you expand your setup, RTi A1 will easily go on the back
post #7 of 9 Old 12-09-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Of the setups you listed I would go with the RTiA setup. To answer your question about why people don't care for Bose read here.

Steve

post #8 of 9 Old 12-09-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What are you listening to when you are auditioning these speakers?

Ideally it's a broad range of music that you brought with you through a receiver similar in power to the one you have/are considering.

Worst case scenario it's movies..

Ron
post #9 of 9 Old 12-10-2009, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinipux77 View Post

Again, which Klipsch and Polk TSi's did you hear, and why did you prefer Klipsch Reference? Was it in the same room and with the same source?

Thanks for the reply. So to answer your question, I went back to Bestbuy again to listened to these speakers. I listened to to Klipsch ref, Tsi 300 and Tsi 400. Tsi 400 had greater bass impact, probably due to a extra woofer and Klipsch had a better overall sound stage. Bass was practically missing from Tsi300, but I figure that adding a sub in HT environment would take care of this.

The RTi A4 setup would go out of budget for me. I am planing to spend about $650 and so far Tsi 300 with Tsi 100 , CS 10 center and PSW125 seems to be the best to fit in.

Other suggestions and recomendadtion are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page